Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

She's kind of like my 9-year-old Catholic school self who thought walking down the wrong side of the road was a sin or something. It's really awkward; we prefer the little goody-two-shoes that turn :devil:horrifically evil:devil: when given a chance.

Play with the Lancelot expansion! (Do not play with the Lancelot expansion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

1853 isn't really an 18xx game, it's what happens when someone thinks there is too many market sheninigans in 1830 and thus decides to create one with barely any market.

It's not really a competitive game either, because it's aim is just to create companies and see them spread accross the map.
It is nice if you are a group of experienced 18xxers that just played a weekend filled with 18xx and what something relaxing in the afternoon. I wouldn't recommend it for newbies because it has weird rules and doesn't really teach you to play an 18xx game

Ok, looks like I'm gonna pass on that game then. Thanks

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One of the people at our game nights hates playing a bad guy in any of the social games like Resistance: Avalon or One Night: Ultimate Werewolf. She will actually vote for the mission to pass every time. This was funny when my wife was Merlin, and the last quest had two minions in it, so she threw up her arms, declared herself Merlin and went to get some food. The mission succeeded, much to her confusion, but then when the assassination phase came around, it was pretty obvious what to do.

Honestly, it would have been a brilliant move if she was Percival instead. What made it funnier is in something like 10+ games, she had never been Merlin, and was chomping at the bit to try it once.

Some people just can't take the idea of being the "bad guy." We tried to come up with a narrative in Avalon to help her out, but it doesn't help that all the minion cards have really horrendous-looking people on them on red backgrounds. It's really hard to come up with a cover story for that. Like, "King Arthur had Merlin cast a spell that prevents all the Minions of Mordred from sleeping, so that's why your eyes are a little screwed up. You want to stop all those bastards because their goal is to make the kingdom toil sleeplessly forever." She's kind of like my 9-year-old Catholic school self who thought walking down the wrong side of the road was a sin or something. It's really awkward; we prefer the little goody-two-shoes that turn :devil:horrifically evil:devil: when given a chance.

Like really, what's it going to do to your moral permanent record? You drift off to the afterlife and get committed to a pit of despair because they relished being a bad guy in a role playing game one time in their otherwise spotless life. Do I have this correct?

Similarly, I have a friend that is unable to play competitive games. When asked to take action in opposition to another player, he just freezes up, takes a random action or whatever action is least involved, and then becomes subdued and quiet until he is forced to act again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Dang I really want to try 18OE. Maybe my friend who owns it will bring it one day.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One of the people at our game nights hates playing a bad guy in any of the social games like Resistance: Avalon or One Night: Ultimate Werewolf. She will actually vote for the mission to pass every time. This was funny when my wife was Merlin, and the last quest had two minions in it, so she threw up her arms, declared herself Merlin and went to get some food. The mission succeeded, much to her confusion, but then when the assassination phase came around, it was pretty obvious what to do.

Honestly, it would have been a brilliant move if she was Percival instead. What made it funnier is in something like 10+ games, she had never been Merlin, and was chomping at the bit to try it once.

Some people just can't take the idea of being the "bad guy." We tried to come up with a narrative in Avalon to help her out, but it doesn't help that all the minion cards have really horrendous-looking people on them on red backgrounds. It's really hard to come up with a cover story for that. Like, "King Arthur had Merlin cast a spell that prevents all the Minions of Mordred from sleeping, so that's why your eyes are a little screwed up. You want to stop all those bastards because their goal is to make the kingdom toil sleeplessly forever." She's kind of like my 9-year-old Catholic school self who thought walking down the wrong side of the road was a sin or something. It's really awkward; we prefer the little goody-two-shoes that turn :devil:horrifically evil:devil: when given a chance.

Like really, what's it going to do to your moral permanent record? You drift off to the afterlife and get committed to a pit of despair because they relished being a bad guy in a role playing game one time in their otherwise spotless life. Do I have this correct?

I once played Mafia with someone who refused to lie because it was a sin.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'll have to make a note of that one for the next time I play with strangers.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I once asked my friend during a game of WoMH if he was a werewolf. He answered truthfully. Villager victory! So we had a few laughs, and the guy concedes to the fact that you need to lie to win as a werewolf. Cool, game on. Next game, his wife asks him if he's a werewolf. He says he's not. She asks if he'd swear on the heads of their children that he is not a werewolf. He reveals his role card and claims that question isn't fair.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I kinda get it with that last example though. While I don't quite get how someone can just outright not want to play the bad guy in a themed game when it's just passing or failing a mission with no details in, the swearing question is a bit off.

I don't have kids but I can imagine the discomfort of having to say something like that, even if this is just a game. It's like morally being told to bet £100 you aren't a werewolf when you are but know you will be held to it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't think those people understand the point of games.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's kind of a lovely thing to say. When you devolve these games into appeals to emotion rather than logic, they aren't really as fun. Sure there's always an element of that, and that's fine, but there needs to be a limit IMO. Like if you get obsessed with finding people's "tells" or badgering them with loaded questions or looking to see whose pupils are dilated after a night in ONUW rather than any kind of logic or reasoning, that's missing the point completely I think.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Come to think of it a traitor game where you're not actually allowed to lie would be interesting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StashAugustine posted:

Come to think of it a traitor game where you're not actually allowed to lie would be interesting.

Shadow Hunters isn't exactly a "traitor" game, but it's a hidden role/faction game and you're not allowed to lie.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Just got together for a big game night and we tried playing The Target

What the gently caress is this game? The rules are complicated and heavy but there's not really that many rules? You have to get clearance but then you have it for the whole game and everyone ends up getting all their clearances on their turn so why not just start with clearance? Why don't the cards for clearances color-correspond to the clearanced cards? Why am I turning in yellow cards to draw (check the rules) white cards?

We gave up after three turns because it was way too much and nobody could really understand what the goal of the game even was. You start with no cards that do anything which makes it even more confusing.

Maybe it'd be better to learn the rules with a smaller group, I dunno. Game supports up to 12 like its a party game but it's too complex to explain quickly like a party game.

I went and looked up reviews and it would seem that I didn't miss anything; the game just kinda sucks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just played Mottainai twice with my wife. I read the rules, watched the official rule explanation video, and watched a 60-minute playthrough that was used in the KickStarter. My wife, not knowing any of the rules and getting frustrated as I tried to explain it, crushed me both times. The second time, she had half the clay cards in her area within 4 turns. I blame the shuffle on that one. She claims it's from all the San Juan she plays on the phone. I don't think you can just put it on that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Finally got to play Codenames in person instead of PBP. Even with only 4 players, it is everything I hoped for and more.

Also played Ugg-Tect for the first time. It was a good laugh, but some of those structures are stupid. They have the cardboard piece slanted upon the blocks in a way that slick cardboard pieces will just slide. Otherwise, it was good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Shadow Hunters isn't exactly a "traitor" game, but it's a hidden role/faction game and you're not allowed to lie.

Ditto Internal Affairs, which has the added twist that what side you're on and what you're lying about can change during the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished up my first furniture project ever - a dining room table with a hidden game table underneath. Pretty proud of it for my first!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I didn't get to play my own copy of Avalon for 2 years because some of my friends are like this. I'm a devout Christian, and I still don't get it. It's whatever though; I won't ask someone to renege on his/her convictions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

COOL CORN posted:

Just finished up my first furniture project ever - a dining room table with a hidden game table underneath. Pretty proud of it for my first!

That looks great. Did you make the plans?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

e: double post..somehow :psyduck:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

COOL CORN posted:

Very nice work!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks great. Did you make the plans?

Got the idea from a blog but made my own plans, yeah.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Some Numbers posted:

Notably, one character is allowed to lie, and they may or may not be present in the game.

Regarding emotional players, I run into that problem now and then when playing with couples. I know two different couples where one partner will get upset or sulky if the other acts against them in the game, which forces them to act against their interests/ally with/kingmake their significant other. It betrays a certain kind of emotional immaturity.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Sockser posted:

I went and looked up reviews and it would seem that I didn't miss anything; the game just kinda sucks.

I wrote one of those reviews, and yeah, pretty much everything by that company sucks. They're clearly made by people who have HEARD of games, but never really played any, but by god they're qualified to make them because

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Quick Mage Knight question, and I'm sure I'm right but getting to the end of my first solo campaign and want to keep errors to a minimum.

Can dragons be killed at the first stage with ranged attacks, or do they have to be siege (or neither!)? If so, then these once intimidating beasts are becoming very easy to pick off. It would be by using the Call to Arms spell and a red mana to trigger 6 Ranged Fire Attack from a Gold Unit in the offering, and then get the other 3 ranged attack from Battle Versatility (red mana too but not a problem). But killing it with a starter card and a spell seemed kinda easy. This is against the Green Dragon, so 9 armour, no resistance.

Then its onto my first city, the Blue one. Going to have to go over those rules again.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Finally got to get Codenames out last night. Didn't expect it to be the hit it was! Like, I know it's a good game and all but, y'know, we had also pulled out Pandemic Legacy for the first time (which was also awesome).
And then the word 'rematch' came up about five times so.
Was just four people but still really fun. Somehow at one point the other time managed to nab 'Concert' from the hint 'Sidewalk'. Both of them managed to misread the card as 'Concrete'. Which, I guess, worked out in the end????

also in pandemic legacy i tore up the first card they want you to destroy without warning anybody and everybody was distraught about this that was also great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just finished playing through January of Pandemic Legacy for the first time. Failed both attempts, but came really, really close on the second game. (We were 2 turns from winning)

Holy crap that game pulls no punches. So much fun though, February is only going to be even crazier.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Tendales posted:

I wrote one of those reviews, and yeah, pretty much everything by that company sucks. They're clearly made by people who have HEARD of games, but never really played any, but by god they're qualified to make them because

As I pored through the rules for the fifth or sixth time I noticed the section in the back listing the play testers.

Nobody tested that loving game. You're saying their other games are just as bad? I wonder how deep this hole goes.

Inspires confidence that I could somehow publish a game, at least.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

This is against the Green Dragon, so 9 armour, no resistance.

Dragons are perfectly susceptible to Ranged attacks. There are only a few cases where green or red monsters are not: if they're in a fortified location (red city), if they naturally count as fortified (have the little tower symbol next to their health) or if you're attacking them over a wall (expansion only).

The lesson here is don't think of 'starter cards' as weak, especially not character-specific ones! You can still do a lot with your basic deck, and Call to Arms/Glory is a tremendously useful spell. Learning stuff like this is how you git gud and suddenly you're turn 1 dungeoning or altaring. In one of my games Bubble-T got the perfect setup to immediately activate a 'one of every mana' altar and get 10 Fame, while 'Mana Draw + Swiftness + Swiftness' is a reliable dungeon and monastery killer.

As far as cities go: when you move next to the city you can see anything inside, even at night. Paying 2 move will take you into it and put you on an attack - if you don't take everything out you're bumped back to wherever you were. The trick is a) you have to take on everything at once, b) they're fortified, c) each city gives enemies a bonus effect, as stated on the card - the blue city will boost the damage of elemental attacks.

Cities can be daunting, and expect to take a lot of damage the first couple times. If you're focused on Attack you should try to have lots of Block or else ways to turn enemy attacks off (Chill, Freezers, etc.) while if you're focused on Ranged you should try to have ways to strip fortification (Expose, Demolish, etc.). All city tiles have one location which is clearly better than the others to attack from, as well - for the blue city, if you can bear to keep the monastery alive, it's a useful cheap place to heal up between attacks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In Pandemic Legacy, pay attention to the order you resolve things. During an epidemic, you real the bottom card, add the cubes and toss it to the discard. At this time, you can use funded events to remove cubes/cards/whatever.

Not doing this is handicapping yourself.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Quick Mage Knight question, and I'm sure I'm right but getting to the end of my first solo campaign and want to keep errors to a minimum.

Can dragons be killed at the first stage with ranged attacks, or do they have to be siege (or neither!)? If so, then these once intimidating beasts are becoming very easy to pick off. It would be by using the Call to Arms spell and a red mana to trigger 6 Ranged Fire Attack from a Gold Unit in the offering, and then get the other 3 ranged attack from Battle Versatility (red mana too but not a problem). But killing it with a starter card and a spell seemed kinda easy. This is against the Green Dragon, so 9 armour, no resistance.

Then its onto my first city, the Blue one. Going to have to go over those rules again.

This is correct. As long as a unit is not fortified, either though innate abilities or through being in a mage tower, keep, or city, you can use ranged attacks on them. Ranged attacks are very useful at all stages of the game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Ascension: Dreamscape is in stock at CSI now, as well as the Year Two Collector's Edition.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My physical Twilight Struggle promos from the digital kickstarter arrived at last. Two small new packs of cards/alt space race track and a new turn zero variant for a partly randomised setup, in lieu of using Chinese civil war or optional cards. And they threw in a $10 GMT voucher for being so late which is nice but I have a feeling the shipping to Australia when ordering direct from GMT would probably eat that up and then some

Edit: new cards are cool but the front side graphics are different to match the collectors edition I guess. Also not certain what if anything you're meant to take out in their place, need to do a bit of digging through the various packets, a number of duplicate sheets in here

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ooh, what are the new cards/track?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Space race track:

The cards came as two separate packets, not sure if they're meant to be combined? Theres a sheet with the regular historical explanation of the cards but nothing ruleswise as to how they're to be used that I can see.. not sure of the math, would 3 early/3 or 4 mid war cards change the reshuffle turns? Stanislav Petrov is a 3 ops neutral event if it's difficult to read there, apologies for my hasty scan/snipping

"Promo deck 1"

"Promo deck 2"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Events are interesting I'll have to think about them more, slightly disappointed Space Race wasn't redone with 1989 rules for more flexible ops requirements

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Finally got into a game of Codenames last night. Had a terrible spymaster. After the guy who brought the game said it's not a good idea to use 0 hints to hint at the assasin, he gives the clue of sister 0 with grace on the board (grace was his wife's sister) and he thought he was being all sneaky but everybody with half a brain could tell that grace was the only sister word on the board. Then he did animal 4 when 2 of the animals were agents and the other 2 were neutral, because he thought a neutral didn't end the turn. And then after a kerfuffle about a proper noun, he used "corner lot" (Corner Lot?) 2 to indicate the two corners of the board. No idea what kind of proper noun corner lot is (does he understand what proper noun means), why he didn't just say "corner" and then obviously the thing where the position of the cards isn't something you can hint at.

In another round though I pulled out a hail mary when at the end of our turn we had a free guess and one agent left to find, and the other team had 1 agent and was clearly going to get it on their turn, so I eliminated a few options from clues that weren't given previously, and managed to guess the last agent correctly.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Ayn Randi posted:

The cards came as two separate packets, not sure if they're meant to be combined? Theres a sheet with the regular historical explanation of the cards but nothing ruleswise as to how they're to be used that I can see.. not sure of the math, would 3 early/3 or 4 mid war cards change the reshuffle turns?

One thing to account for is that Non-Aligned Movement discards four cards if used as an event.

It's also a hella good US event to play on AR7, so I expect it'd be used about half the time.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
There's a girl I want to impress and she really likes Cribbage and really likes Scrabble. I want to make her a board of the two meshed together and call it "Scribble" but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a way I could combine the two games together. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the gently caress posted:

There's a girl I want to impress and she really likes Cribbage and really likes Scrabble. I want to make her a board of the two meshed together and call it "Scribble" but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a way I could combine the two games together. Any ideas?

Interesting conundrum. Have you considered Codenames?