Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Oh no, I'm hypothetically less rich for practically no effort whatsoever than a guy who put years of his life into a video game and became really sad over it. I'm so jealous!

I will settle for not being a fat bearded goon and feel fine about my life relative to notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
When I win I'm going to buy Detroit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No. 6 posted:

Just a reminder that if you are the sole winner, you will still have less than 1/2 of the money that Internet fat man Notch, maker of Minecraft, has.

Yeah but that level of money is so ridiculous that the difference between 1 Billion and 1.3 is practically nothing. As in, in practical terms, you wouldn't see any difference.

OKAY! So, you just won 1.5 BEEEELEEOOON dollars and bought a nice house. What special feature will your house have?
Mine would be a theater and a cinema. I'd have a huge library of movies and hire a local acting troupe to perform whatever they wanted.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

http://powerball-simulator.com/

Fired this up and won a million dollars after just 40 years! :homebrew:

Ran it again and haven't won more than $100 in 1,500 years and counting.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

When I win I'm going to buy Detroit

I said this exact same thing last time.

What's your reason for buying Detroit?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd probably be fine with just a nice library, game room, and maybe a small greenhouse. Boring, maybe, but more than that would feel gauche.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

tinstaach posted:

This is why I only buy one single ticket: it's the biggest jump in probability because now he might win something as opposed to being guaranteed not to. Anything after that is just a waste. Well, even more so.

VendaGoat posted:

Who needs to win the lotto to buy Detroit? A lot of that land went for cheap because you had to pay the back taxes on it or demolish the buildings.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but that level of money is so ridiculous that the difference between 1 Billion and 1.3 is practically nothing. As in, in practical terms, you wouldn't see any difference.

OKAY! So, you just won 1.5 BEEEELEEOOON dollars and bought a nice house. What special feature will your house have?
Mine would be a theater and a cinema. I'd have a huge library of movies and hire a local acting troupe to perform whatever they wanted.

Olympic swimming pool, 4 car garage, hot tub with attached bar, a lot of land, a big kitchen for my wife, and a movie theater room with coaches and recliners for gaming/ watching movies, Id also have 2 or 3 guest bedrooms for my close friends to come over and hang out since Id give them each enough to take a year off work.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would build an amalgam of the Winchester House and HH Holmes' Murder Castle and force politicians to pick up campaign contributions there in person. Also it would be televised for good ROI

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

:hfive:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd also spend the 6k or whatever on one of those ridiculous D&D tables with player stations, dice mounts and Cheeto dispenser.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

I'd also spend the 6k or whatever on one of those ridiculous D&D tables with player stations, dice mounts and Cheeto dispenser.

You will die a few years later, your bloated orange corpse supported only by your massive gaming table, you would have been found earlier, but your neighbors just assumed the smell was your normal smell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This is why I only buy one single ticket: it's the biggest jump in probability because now he might win something as opposed to being guaranteed not to. Anything after that is just a waste. Well, even more so

Buying a second doubles your odds. So two is better than one. After that, not so much.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Buying a second doubles your odds. So two is better than one. After that, not so much.

Wait a minute, you mean every time I double the amount of tickets I have I double my chances of winning!?

I gotta go to the bank real fast.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I've bought over 100 tickets and if you like and share this status, I promise to share my future wealth with YOU.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

tinstaach posted:

wow this lottery thing is really a gamble!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

if i won the lottery i'd spray paint "america" on the side of a trash barrel and dump all the money in there and set it on fire

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Wait a minute, you mean every time I double the amount of tickets I have I double my chances of winning!?

I gotta go to the bank real fast.

The real "secret" is to buy enough tickets to cover all the possible powerball numbers. If you do that you're guaranteed to have a winning ticket most likely the $4 one but hey! you still won right??

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i feel like i won just by posting in this thread with you, my gbs friends

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

have a blessed day

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'd probably be fine with just a nice library, game room, and maybe a small greenhouse. Boring, maybe, but more than that would feel gauche.

If you're a billionaire who isn't in business you have the duty to be gauche and eccentric as gently caress.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
If I send you guys some money can you mail me back the 1.3 billion dollars when I win?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I know what I would do if I won the powerball, but im also not going to waste even 2 dollars on a ticket, the miniscule amount of calories it could buy me would be a better option.

AHAHAHA are you really this loving poor? Listen, permanently cancel your Internet subscription right now and I will send you literally one million Calories (that's capital C Calorie) worth of cheap, vitamin-rich food. I'll also include one Powerball ticket for this Wednesday's drawing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

If I send you guys some money can you mail me back the 1.3 billion dollars when I win?

Sure, make the check or money order out to my professional name; "Cash"

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If you're a billionaire who isn't in business you have the duty to be gauche and eccentric as gently caress.

I'd be living like a 19 year old NBA lottery pick.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

A trust which invests in a bunch of different mutual funds. Keep in mind that if it's all in a savings account you can be sued for it. And you would be. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon. And for the rest of your life.

People keep saying this but I don't really get it. In all the lottery horror stories cases I've seen compiled on various websites the big mistake poors who win it usually make is not understanding that they can just live a decent life off ~100k/year and instead buying like 30 million dollar mansions and 30 cars to fit in the garage for each of their friends. Some people get sued, but it's always because they tried to scrooge someone they actually owed the money to, like someone running away from an office pool or breaking up with their spouse or w/e. it's not like joe shmoe can just sue you for money he has not even the slightest rights too.

I imagine it'd kinda suck having to tell a bunch of extended friends and family you don't care about that no you're not going to give them 10 million dollars but the idea that anyone is actually gonna do something bad to you or sue you a bunch seems dumb to me. Like there are plenty of rich people out there and they get along just fine, you don't hear about bill gates going bankrupt because his classmates sued him for his money. Even if you are hit with frivolous suits you could just get really expensive lawyers and hammer anyone that tries that poo poo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What's the word on donating the ticket to a blind trust you set up? Seems like the way to go.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Ok gbs my numbers are 9, 53, 54, 64, 69, powerball 25

Someone please quote this after I won all the money, tia.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's the word on donating the ticket to a blind trust you set up? Seems like the way to go.

In most states (someone upthread said in all but six) an actual person must claim the prize. You can and should set up a trust or other organization, especially if you're splitting the prize, but at the end of the day someone must put their face out there as the winner.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EngineerSean posted:

In most states (someone upthread said in all but six) an actual person must claim the prize. You can and should set up a trust or other organization, especially if you're splitting the prize, but at the end of the day someone must put their face out there as the winner.

Could they send a lawyer or someone acting as a representative?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I think I won

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I've never done this before but bought a ticket for $2. I didn't even look at the numbers. How do I find out the numbers on Wednesday? Is there an Internet site? I'm guessing you can win a partial prize or something? gently caress this poo poo is stupid.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've never done this before but bought a ticket for $2. I didn't even look at the numbers. How do I find out the numbers on Wednesday? Is there an Internet site? I'm guessing you can win a partial prize or something? gently caress this poo poo is stupid.

google powerball, dude. they have a website

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerSean posted:

AHAHAHA are you really this loving poor? Listen, permanently cancel your Internet subscription right now and I will send you literally one million Calories (that's capital C Calorie) worth of cheap, vitamin-rich food. I'll also include one Powerball ticket for this Wednesday's drawing.

Im not that poor, but buying calories is literally better than a powerball ticket, sorry I don't try to stay in poverty.

Also I need the internet because business, this isn't the early nineties, you actually need a phone and an internet connection in TYOOL 2016 if you ever want to do literally anything, plus vanguard waves my account service fees because I have an email so they don't waste paper mailing poo poo out.

Although in all seriousness I will gladly take your food and powerball ticket PM me.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 10, 2016

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
When I win I'm buying one of those sweet $6M houses in Breck, CO and I'll go snowboarding every day.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
When I win I'm going to drown in a sea of gay dicks.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I gonna do five chicks at the same time.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If I win the powerball am I still eligable to win the publishers clearing house too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

boom boom boom posted:

Could they send a lawyer or someone acting as a representative?

You can send a lawyer to pick up your check.

• Locked thread