Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Welp, looks like Ulm has won Cowards. Good job to Nazca for throwing the game to him by jumping onto me instead of attacking his throne right on your border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least you're not bitter.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
getting mad at the piece of poo poo who handed the game to someone who isn't you is pretty much the point of playing dominions four

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
gently caress Ulm in Cowards. I should have been the rightful winner with my endless tides of marverni boars t:mad:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Heh. I did the same thing in Baldur's Gate, before I learned the hard way that a level 1 wizard spends most of her time bludgeoning people with her staff. :v:

It owns that every edition of DnD is really bad in its own ways

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Welp, looks like Ulm has won Cowards. Good job to Nazca for throwing the game to him by jumping onto me instead of attacking his throne right on your border.

The forted throne with a shitton of troops on it? Sure I'll get right on it chief.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Also for some reason that nobody knows the throne victory requirement in Cowards was set at 8/15, which is pretty hilariously low. Don't we usually like to put it at something like 65-75% ?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

no because then games drag on way too long

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

What were you going to let Nazca win if they didn't?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Speleothing posted:

Wait, what? Baudin! :argh:

jBrereton posted:

What were you going to let Nazca win if they didn't?

Probably not, but attacking the guy without thrones (probably, I subbed out to Speleothing 15-ish turns ago, and only asked about the game once after that) when Ulm was two points away from winning and has mages who can teleport doesn't seem a wonderful strategy either. Nazca had some thrones IIRC, so he could have sneaked out a victory that way.

Bonus points if it was one of Nazca's thrones that gave Ulm the victory.

EDIT: Bonus bonus points if it's the throne I kicked Ulm out of and gave back to Nazca.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 3, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, what? Baudin! :argh:

Probably not, but attacking the guy without thrones (probably, I subbed out to Speleothing 15-ish turns ago) when Ulm was two points away from winning and has mages who can teleport doesn't seem a wonderful strategy either.
Eh, gets the game over with and makes someone bitch amusingly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can't argue with that.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Bonus points if it was one of Nazca's thrones that gave Ulm the victory.

EDIT: Bonus bonus points if it's the throne I kicked Ulm out of and gave back to Nazca.

Nope.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

How are u posted:

Also for some reason that nobody knows the throne victory requirement in Cowards was set at 8/15, which is pretty hilariously low. Don't we usually like to put it at something like 65-75% ?

just above 50% is a good number

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Okay I'm back and working on things. I need to clear up the status of twilight and geneva with murtidash real quick, I think water bong is good to go, and 5 min no rush will start once I've confirmed that everyone in it is essentially active and likely to take their turns (and also that the server is accepting pretenders).

~soon~

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Had a big fight in Waterbong last turn so I recorded it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3xjHTY7vw
Feel free to point out all of everyone's mistakes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nanomashoes posted:

You are playing Dominions 4 hth.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when's the next update and what awful nation no one asked for will it add

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

:eyepop:

Also Lady of Eloquence is hilarious considering my propensity to typos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Another domkill blood nation of giants.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
MA Tur, pre-Ragha and presumably post-Ur, unless Ur and Tur are not actually related despite seeming like they would be.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

20XX, it's an LA nation based on the Kingdom of Kush, combining both the much-vaunted Sobek rebellion with a blunt-shaped N4(!!!) monument that increases Sloth as a national pretender.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I would unironically love a Sobek nation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The EA nothing-but-beasts nation. No gold, no resources, just gently caress-tons of wildlife and talking badgers.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Last one was Mediterranean, so the next one gets to be Northern European.

jBrereton posted:

20XX, it's an LA nation based on the Kingdom of Kush, combining both the much-vaunted Sobek rebellion with a blunt-shaped N4(!!!) monument that increases Sloth as a national pretender.

Ja mon, rasta is here for you now.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Had a big fight in Waterbong last turn so I recorded it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3xjHTY7vw

Agartha should have brought more mindblasters and set them to target fliers to try to negate the Storm Demons, who caused most of the casualties. You should have placed ancient ones as decoys, since the targeting AI for Bery's spellcasters was dropping freezing clouds onto your mages because the umbrals are immune to cold.

Bery would have been better served with more demons, but you've gotta make do with what you have when you're on the inside. Devils were poorly placed and couldn't engage until late in the fight.
The big mistake was that the ogres only served to provide free HP to the umbrals. Shouldn't have been summoned, or at least been set to the furthest back position to stay out of the way. Not sure what else could have been bought with those E gems given research levels, but ogres were worse than useless.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Agartha should have brought more mindblasters and set them to target fliers to try to negate the Storm Demons, who caused most of the casualties. You should have placed ancient ones as decoys, since the targeting AI for Bery's spellcasters was dropping freezing clouds onto your mages because the umbrals are immune to cold.

Bery would have been better served with more demons, but you've gotta make do with what you have when you're on the inside. Devils were poorly placed and couldn't engage until late in the fight.
The big mistake was that the ogres only served to provide free HP to the umbrals. Shouldn't have been summoned, or at least been set to the furthest back position to stay out of the way. Not sure what else could have been bought with those E gems given research levels, but ogres were worse than useless.

A troll king, mechanical men, or statues. Mechamen have the added bonus of not generally taking friendly fire from stuff like storm demons while not granting life drain.

I dunno what Berytos' blood situation is like but with what is displayed, he should have probably just used vampires and auto win with a billion skeletons under rigor mortis with some possible plague/blood rain/blood letting/bone grinding spam to make all of the mages route and thereby route all of the umbrals.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Absum
May 28, 2013

I don't have the research for almost all of those things because at some point I had three provinces and my cap under siege and multiple bane venom amulets to salt earth. Also zero mages researching because they were all blood hunting or summoning devils to survive.

e: Like it's turn 69 and I have 476 rp and I only have that because Kailasa went AI and I finally got the money to make mages. It's a miracle Agartha didn't kill me 40 turns ago.

Absum fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 5, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Absum posted:

I don't have the research for almost all of those things because at some point I had three provinces and my cap under siege and multiple bane venom amulets to salt earth. Also zero mages researching because they were all blood hunting or summoning devils to survive.

e: Like it's turn 69 and I have 476 rp and I only have that because Kailasa went AI and I finally got the money to make mages. It's a miracle Agartha didn't kill me 40 turns ago.

Demons are scary. Have you ever seen them?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Having a heck of a time, wrapping my head around this game. New stuff keep coming up all the time.

Playing EA Ulm, expansion phase. My three commanders leveled up, and apparently increased their battle movement speed, promptly running ahead of their line and gallantly taking on impossible odds, with obvious effects. They were set to attack closest enemy, along with their squad, and placed on the line with their troops.

I see three options here:
- Keep them in the back throughout the battle, which seems pointless, but maybe that's what you do in Dom4?
- Attempt to time Hold-Attack commands so that they match their line troops however best possible - seems tedious.
- Somewhat like option two, but without orders - place commanders behind their lines and hope they won't run ahead.

Would setting the line troops to protect the commander work here, or is there any other way I'm missing? Should the EA Ulm commanders be used as front line troops, or should they just stay the hell back?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Option 1 is correct: Never use the commanders who are leading troops to stab people.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

You keep them on Hold-Hold-Hold-Hold-Hold-Stay behind troops.

They are far more expensive and important than an ordinary dude while being barely any better in combat. It's just not worth it. The only commanders on the front line should be specially designed for that purpose and are summoned and/or equipped, plus probably buffed.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

:eyepop:

Also Lady of Eloquence is hilarious considering my propensity to typos.

From the fifth badgame match

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Enjoy posted:

From the fifth badgame match

Nice!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

goatface posted:

The EA nothing-but-beasts nation. No gold, no resources, just gently caress-tons of wildlife and talking badgers.

Ultrapangaea?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Mechanics question! If I'm attacking the army that is sieging my capital can I do that from multiple territories? If I move armies from neighbor provinces and attack on the same turn, will each individual army attack one at a time? Will they all attack at once?

Is it better to take a turn and combine them together then move and attack?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they're all moving from different provinces, they'll hit simultaneously, yes. Anything that's attempting to break the siege from inside would attack in a separate phase, however. Magic attacks also happen in a separate phase but trying to teleport your guys onto a fort of yours that's being sieged will just drop them into your fort; depending on your goal this can be good or bad really.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Chairman Pow! posted:

Mechanics question! If I'm attacking the army that is sieging my capital can I do that from multiple territories? If I move armies from neighbor provinces and attack on the same turn, will each individual army attack one at a time? Will they all attack at once?

Is it better to take a turn and combine them together then move and attack?

It depends - if the enemy player doesn't move their sieging army then all of your troops will fight a field battle as the attackers against all of the sieging troops on your capital.

If the enemy player chooses to attack one of your armies in an adjacent province then it's a coin flip whether their army or your army in that province moves first. If your army moves first then all of your troops will fight a field battle as the attackers against all of the sieging troops on your capital. If their army moves first then your army in that province will not move and will fight his army as the defender, and your troops moving from other provinces will move into your capital province.

If the enemy player moves their sieging force into another territory they control that move will resolve first and no one will fight anyone unless you are attacking that territory

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Anything that's attempting to break the siege from inside would attack in a separate phase, however.

Are you sure this is true? I thought siege breaking units joined the attack with units moving in from outside provinces, but I haven't actually played dom in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavahbeast posted:

Are you sure this is true? I thought siege breaking units joined the attack with units moving in from outside provinces, but I haven't actually played dom in a while

I might be wrong here actually; I know storming takes place in a later phase, but the turn order chart I've seen is unclear as to whether breaking a siege happens in that phase or the movement one.

IRC is leaning towards the latter though there's been a bit of confusion there too. It's probably movement though, so they would meet up with people moving in from outside, come to think of it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread