Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
an entire vm per app is extremely retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Wheany posted:

then again, it is physically impossible to have more out-of date packages than ubuntu has

My 16.04 rolling install says otherwise

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean they've exposed multiple critical vulns in xen and beyond. i'm not at all qualified to qualify someone as a genius though, especially in low level systems programming land

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pram posted:

given infinite computing power and ram it makes sense

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its a secure desktop because youll spend so much time janitoring numa and memory ballooning and dom0 io scheduling and in general fixing the raging garbage fire that is xen youll never actually do anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and also janitoring stuff like kernel clock sources :pram:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xen/Clocksource

:dance: If a domU crashes or freezes while uttering the famous lasts words 'clocksource/0: Time went backwards', your domU is likely using the xen clocksource :neckbeard: instead of its own clock ticks. In practice, this seems to be the cause of infrequent lockups under load (and/or problems with suspending). :holy:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

and also janitoring stuff like kernel clock sources :pram:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xen/Clocksource

:dance: If a domU crashes or freezes while uttering the famous lasts words 'clocksource/0: Time went backwards', your domU is likely using the xen clocksource :neckbeard: instead of its own clock ticks. In practice, this seems to be the cause of infrequent lockups under load (and/or problems with suspending). :holy:

Oh god I'm getting horrible flashbacks to when I maintained Xen boxes :stonklol:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

theultimo posted:

Kde 5.0 plasma desktop I the best Linux

:yeah:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

froward posted:

wow such driver, many game!!

after several years of using lunix (mint and ubuntu, the most accessible and well supported things apparently) on my poo poo, I am building a workstation and going to put Windoze on it.

because there is no good music player for linux. none. really.

let's go over the list:

clementine: quite polished looking, actually! supports streaming from tons of places! well, in theory anyway. many of the Features don't work, including many streams, music player support, shortcut keys. has no way to browse albums. replaygain usually works.

rhythmbox: love the interface. unfortunately replaygain is garbage. crashes at random. sometimes impossible to close without using terminal. made three copies of every song in my library that i tried to move to my ipod.

banshee: somehow corrupted a bunch of music. HOW??? I JUST WANT YOU TO PLAY IT. ugh

all of em suffer from random crashes, being impossible to close, trying to do everything poorly instead of a few things well. none of them are able to do global shortcuts properly (I like to use my numpad to play/pause/skip)

there's also Deadbeef which is modeled on foobar2000. its kinda dead, and only hosted on sourceforge, but I'm gonna give it a shot (foreshadowing intensifies)

anyway thats my bitchpost thanks for reading

EDIT: almost forgot the libreoffice bug where the application will crash, delete your document AND the backup copy, and this is somehow just a 'known bug, happens sometimes'. amazing. in the year of our potato 2016.

ubuntu and linux mint are awful trash, i had numerous problems on it and suddenly all my hardware and software worked amazing on fedora. all of linux software,games and drivers work in fedora so idk why you said ubuntu is most supported, and fedora also has graphical one click installs if that is what you want

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

counterpoint: lol iceweasel lol icedove lol iceape lol iceowl

this is mozilla's fault

they refused to allow debian to distribute firefox using the mozilla trademarks. the debian names were chosen to be as stupid as possible, to shame mozilla into changing their minds

"ice weasel" specifically came from a sarcastic mailing list post

if you prefer firefox to chrome, you still can (and should) install firefox from the mozilla web site. ("should" because mozilla issues updates faster than debian does.)

blowfish posted:

hmm this is a good list for power users and devs who want to actually do things with linux but is a bad list for people who want to use linux on the desktop because hey it's free and it can't be that hard right

this is what fedora is for, dumbass. it is fairly obvious you have never tried it. the whole point is to be a polished desktop setup that works correctly out of the box and doesn't require any planning or pre-existing knowledge

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I Googled KDE and Fedora out of mild interest and noticed that they had a Web page out of which they had localized exactly one word for my language; instead of "documentation" it said "dokumentaatio".

thanks I guess.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is mozilla's fault

they refused to allow debian to distribute firefox using the mozilla trademarks. the debian names were chosen to be as stupid as possible, to shame mozilla into changing their minds

if you prefer firefox to chrome, you still can (and should) install firefox from the mozilla web site. ("should" because mozilla issues updates faster than debian does.)

this is what fedora is for, dumbass. it is fairly obvious you have never tried it. the whole point is to be a polished desktop setup that works correctly out of the box and doesn't require any planning or pre-existing knowledge

No, they refused debian permission to distribute a completely hosed version of firefox with their retarded "improvements" which added loads of weird bugs that they were spending a fortune investigating.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is mozilla's fault

how does literally every linux distro other than debian manage to do fine without getting into an aspergers contest with mozilla
the end user does not give a flying gently caress about licensing philosophies beyond "it's free and works and doesn't require me to think" so this is a thing which makes debian less needs suiting for end users

i actually really liked fedora when i tried, fedora was my first linux :kiddo:
but it has the disadvantage of not being the most popular distro therefore specialty/non open sores programs often need to be recompiled (granted, not that much of a hurdle if you know what you're doing, but again we're talking about linux on the desktop for the average end user in tyool 2016)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Just install Ubuntu and be happy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
installing ubuntu is unlikely to result in happiness

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

blowfish posted:

how does literally every linux distro other than debian manage to do fine without getting into an aspergers contest with mozilla

With Chrome gaining popularity unfortunately almost all distributions want to go this route with Chromium packaging, they all seem to hate the user.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

pram posted:

from the top of the "getting started" page

quote:

In Qubes, you run all your programs in domains. Domains are also called AppVMs because they’re implemented as lightweight virtual machines (VMs). Not every app runs in its own VM. (That would be a big waste of resources!) Instead, each VM represents a security domain (e.g., “work,” “personal,” “banking,” etc.).

ur post caused me to click the NICE! button multiple times

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

With Chrome gaining popularity unfortunately almost all distributions want to go this route with Chromium packaging, they all seem to hate the user.

google solves this problem by distributing OS packages that cooperate with the native update mechanism

mozilla wants to distribute their own auto-updater and that is a poison pill for debian

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

installing ubuntu is unlikely to result in happiness

sometimes u have 2 hit rock bottom to know where u truly stand

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google solves this problem by distributing OS packages that cooperate with the native update mechanism

mozilla wants to distribute their own auto-updater and that is a poison pill for debian

the only thing the end user sees is "debian has an awkwardly named browser with a terrible logo why can't it just have firefox"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MrMoo posted:

they all seem to hate the user.

well, yeah.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

the only thing the end user sees is "debian has an awkwardly named browser with a terrible logo why can't it just have firefox"

debian doesn't exist to make your brand centers tingle

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no its to induce vomiting

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but it crosses the line to being unnecessarily clumsy and confusing

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

in a way its the truest unix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

ok then go yell at mozilla about it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pram posted:

:pram:

the overhead is minimal on properly engineered hyper visors like hyper - v

I guess on shitbox Linuxes it is bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if only we had containers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh wait we do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

the overhead is minimal on properly engineered hyper visors like hyper - v

the overhead of a VM is very small

the overhead of running a new linux kernel for every process is not small.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

just rewrite everything in erlang and no worries
http://erlangonxen.org/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
two great tastes that go great together (for great good)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
UNIX and NT are both piece of poo poo operating systems designed for centralized computing services with lots of users and a team of beards to care for and feed them

apparently the solution to this mismatch to today's reality is to discard the existing system call ABI and define another one that pretends to be doing memory-mapped IO with silicon. also userland programs get to define their own page tables as well. that's basically the endgame for this replace-kernels-with-hypervisors and one-vm-per-app thing that's going on as of late.

http://osv.io/

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

froward posted:

after several years of using lunix (mint and ubuntu, the most accessible and well supported things apparently) on my poo poo, I am building a workstation and going to put Windoze on it.

let's go over the list:

clementine: quite polished looking, actually! supports streaming from tons of places! well, in theory anyway. many of the Features don't work, including many streams, music player support, shortcut keys. has no way to browse albums. replaygain usually works.

rhythmbox: love the interface. unfortunately replaygain is garbage. crashes at random. sometimes impossible to close without using terminal. made three copies of every song in my library that i tried to move to my ipod.

banshee: somehow corrupted a bunch of music. HOW??? I JUST WANT YOU TO PLAY IT. ugh

all of em suffer from random crashes, being impossible to close, trying to do everything poorly instead of a few things well. none of them are able to do global shortcuts properly (I like to use my numpad to play/pause/skip)

there's also Deadbeef which is modeled on foobar2000. its kinda dead, and only hosted on sourceforge, but I'm gonna give it a shot (foreshadowing intensifies)

EDIT: almost forgot the libreoffice bug where the application will crash, delete your document AND the backup copy, and this is somehow just a 'known bug, happens sometimes'. amazing. in the year of our potato 2016.

cmus really is simple to use and in pretty much every major distro's repos. I know it's a terminal program but it gets the job done and i've never had it crash. all linux is usually poo poo outside of the browser/terminal.

b0red fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

I Googled KDE and Fedora out of mild interest and noticed that they had a Web page out of which they had localized exactly one word for my language; instead of "documentation" it said "dokumentaatio".

thanks I guess.

Then again, do you really want to read documentation that was halfassedly translated in 2006 by a bored AMK student and hasn't been updated since?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok then go yell at mozilla about it

"dear debian please add a checkbox during the install that says 'install common programs with update schedules set by their own vendors and not by the debian community'" which 80% of users will check out of habit, 19% of users will check because well who cares and 1% of users will find appalling because it is just philosophically wrong

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

froward posted:

let's go over the list:

install audacious for that winamp clone goodness

foobar2k in wine was also suggested, that works surprisingly well

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
apparently i listen to music differently than youse guys because for my needs pretty much any player seems to do the job

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ncmpc is rly gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wheany posted:

apparently i listen to music differently than youse guys because for my needs pretty much any player seems to do the job

yeah

why does anything other than vlc even exist, it suits all dvd, video and audio needs