Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Congrats on your basically stolen car. What are the handling quirks which are stopping you from driving it to Calgary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The FC RX7s from the factory had dynamic rear-steer which is basically a bunch of very compliant toe bushings that help eliminate understeer. When you pitch it into a corner the rear wheels adjust their toe to try and follow the line (they steer to the outside of the corner which tightens the turning radius and reduces rear slip angle, thereby reducing understeer at high speed).

From the factory, 30 plus years ago, I assume they were pretty interesting.

Now they've all rotted. You can't buy a replacement bushing for them from Mazda, and the rear end will walk around on you even going straight when they're particularly hogged out (which these ones appear to be).

You replace them with might-as-well-be-solid delrin bushings which delete the rear-steer functionality and keep the rear knuckles in firm line.

You have to knock out the rear knuckles to do the install, which sucks: https://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/rrsteer.htm

edit: Also she could probably do with an alignment before she goes on the road, considering how much visible camber there is on the right rear tire. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the majority of the sketchy handling.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 10, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So can the understeer be tuned out after putting in delrin bushings ?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I presume going to a delrin bushing basically deletes the passive steering because they are so hard they don't allow compression for movement/changing the geometry?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK so the carwash, what happened was I went down to pick up the Cadillac, got back, decided to run both vehicles through the wash. I had part of a sled deck on but I had removed the telescoping sides because I'm resurfacing the deck.

So I get into the carwash and I'm thinking everything should be fine. Wrong! The spray arm catches the rear corner of the deck (square tube), goes full power Mr Scotty and flips the gently caress out and starts hammering the truck all the way around.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU gently caress SOMEONE IN THE rear end

It was a combination of lebowski and those rejected robots from RoboCop. I waited for the arm to bury itself in the rear passenger door and then I jumped out and hit the emergency kill. $5000 in damage. Kinda stupid on my part lol.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

So can the understeer be tuned out after putting in delrin bushings ?
Dunno. In my experience you can still trail brake or operate it like any other RWD car but I don't have enough first-hand experience to say.

slidebite posted:

So I presume going to a delrin bushing basically deletes the passive steering because they are so hard they don't allow compression for movement/changing the geometry?
That's the basic idea. I think the OEM Mazda bushings are also sort of weirdly moulded to promote deflection and these are more of a straight shot bushing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So SSW's pictures paint a pretty decent picture. We turned up at this kid's place which was pretty run down to find this immaculate RX7 parked out back, and I mean it really wouldn't take a whole hell of a lot to get the body back to showroom condition, the interior has some minor broken bits and the engine bay looks ridiculously clean. We get to work topping up the coolant and then she cranks right up and starts straight away, which was a great sign until steam starts pouring out of the rad cap and vent on the overflow reservoir after about four minutes of idling in -30, McTinkerson reckons its a 50/50 chance that the water jacket is pissing coolant into the rotor housing. The whole thing was basically going to boil down to if we pulled the spark plugs and they either looked clean or a bunch of coolant poured out the engine was boned.

The thing handled like complete garbage and acted like somebody dialed in way too much toe. Every little bump or rock would send the thing into a sideways drift. There was a couple of times just leaving the neighborhood that the nose was pointed towards parked cars as it just slided by and the next bump turned it back into place, what compounded this was that the U-Joint and/or the motor mounts were gone so going on and off the throttle pretty much guaranteed some amount of oversteer. Also the brake pedal went straight to the floor which half a bottle of brake fluid didn't really help.

McTinkerson pulled the plugs and they looked like rusty old two stroke plugs which basically ruled out any sort of coolant leak into the engine itself. Compression test pretty much confirms that there's nothing wrong with that engine, its just at the end of its life, both rotors are hovering around 80 psi. SSW noticed a huge puddle of coolant on the undertray right below the water pump so that's probably what's causing the leak.

This thing really just needs someone to look after it, nothings really broken on the car, its just old and worn out. The kid never even hosed around with it so I have a feeling the previous owner just let it rot then sold it to the kid who was in way over his head with this thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We also figured out on the test fire when you were going to re-park the car that the water pump bearing was toast so I'm guessing it's a combination of dicky water pump and also leaky water pump gasket.

I am stunned this thing has 210,000 km on it because it looks like a museum piece in a lot of ways.

From a few indications in the yard and house, I think the PO had a kid and the kid kind of put the kibosh on getting the car fixed. At least he put a nice new battery in it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 10, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dunno. In my experience you can still trail brake or operate it like any other RWD car but I don't have enough first-hand experience to say.

That's the basic idea. I think the OEM Mazda bushings are also sort of weirdly moulded to promote deflection and these are more of a straight shot bushing.

Too bad nobody has the proper drawings of a new one if they aren't just straight. Could get them made out of something with a softer durometer and try to make a proper replacement.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It would be nice but I think the reason this car still has parts for it is almost completely down to it being a decent performance car so alot of the gimmick stuff on the luxury trim like that gets thrown out in favor of more straight forward solutions. I think replacing the electronic suspension is going to be a bit of a struggle to replace as well, but that's a battle far far down the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My Z31 Turbo had an electronic adjustable suspension and the shock/strut replacements were prohibitive even back in the 90s, like well over $1K per point. I can't imagine new replacements are even available anymore, but a non-adjustable replacement should be a drop in... I would hope.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The FC aftermarket is huuuge. Getting shocks are no problem. Tokiko, Koni, Bilstein, KYB. Then there's the usual "coil overs". Ground Control is currently your best bang for buck in that department. Unless you want to build your own in which case, I can post up a parts list. ( I like to use circle track parts whenever I can since they're everywhere and cheap since rednecks are perpetually broke. )

Between the regulars of the rotary thread, I'm pretty sure we could compile a mega post on the FC that will blow your mind and make your wallet commit suicide.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

The FC aftermarket is huuuge. Getting shocks are no problem. Tokiko, Koni, Bilstein, KYB. Then there's the usual "coil overs". Ground Control is currently your best bang for buck in that department. Unless you want to build your own in which case, I can post up a parts list. ( I like to use circle track parts whenever I can since they're everywhere and cheap since rednecks are perpetually broke. )

Between the regulars of the rotary thread, I'm pretty sure we could compile a mega post on the FC that will blow your mind and make your wallet commit suicide.

Oh God, you switched him on somehow.

Someone figure out where the plug went.

Also, FC vert springs, let's do it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

We will need to talk at some point about what I need and what's the best places to source stuff from. Progress on this thing is going to be slow though since the kart season starts up in april and that thing is just going to rape my wallet repeatedly. I'm going to make every effort to get this baby roadworthy for the spring but once its on the road its probably going to be slowly pecking away at issues until the fall.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Hey thanks for hosting us yesterday, and for hanging on to our beanies.

Drakerider: jfc sorry I didn't immediately recognize you man, been a long time since we met in that poorly lit parking lot. ;-*

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

My pleasure! I had a blast and will gladly host everyone again. I'm thinking a healthy rivalry with NE:AI is in order ( I have spare beds and couches).

Edit: I really am sorry for how cold my garage was, I'm actually about to head out to pick up supplies to insulate the door. I swear it'll be warm next time!

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 10, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I do want to thank all you guys again. I don't think I would've come even remotely close to scoring this thing without everyone's help.

Also McTinkerson your garage was pretty warm considering the temperature outside.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Edit: I really am sorry for how cold my garage was, I'm actually about to head out to pick up supplies to insulate the door. I swear it'll be warm next time!

I should do this but also my garage door has like a 2 inch gap on either side where you can see daylight.

Maybe it's worth it anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But its supposed to be plus 4 on tuesday, winter's over!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gf's dog ate its own poo poo then puked it up on the floor. LoL that's a first for me in cleanups.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Just want to say congrats to 1500 on a sweet Rx7 and that it's awesome seeing ABAI in action.

Lotta cool poo poo going on lately in AI. Except for the dogpuke. Hope you don't have carpet Jonathan.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My dog's vomit inadvertently transformed a 1950s sofa with a board under the cushions into the best couch I've ever sat on ever. The foam pretty much disintegrated taking the cover off so rather than going through my third couch in a year I spent $150 on some custom cut high end foam. Thing is better than my mattress now. But yeah cleaning up dog vomit generally sucks.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
1500qp, I also meant to say that you've reinvigorated my efforts at making my wife sick of hearing about cars and project cars and why I need a project car and why I need a shop to work on a project car

Slung Blade posted:

Drakerider: jfc sorry I didn't immediately recognize you man, been a long time since we met in that poorly lit parking lot. ;-*

Haha, no worries! I wasn't hurt.

ABAI definitely set a new record for me, though:

Least Free Beer Drank By A Garage Full Of Car Guys

:shrug:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

I definitely would've drank more if I didn't eat some currywurst two days before that punched a giant hole in my stomach.

And yeah do what I do and just keep making increasingly poor car purchases until one finally pays off big time. Project cars are great but jesus christ I need to work on getting a place with a garage soon.

edit: I can't tell exactly where it went off the rails for me

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Fun fact: I'd never had PBR before. I have no idea how but that's how it goes. It was alright, boosted substantially by being free. Thanks!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timmy Cruise posted:

Just want to say congrats to 1500 on a sweet Rx7 and that it's awesome seeing ABAI in action.

Lotta cool poo poo going on lately in AI. Except for the dogpuke. Hope you don't have carpet Jonathan.

Turd dogpuke.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

Turd dogpuke.

Has this thread ever had a title change? 'cuz here's a contender, right here.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I was just too drat excited, two or three may have disappeared later on though :cheers:

PBR is way better than I remember - I'm not sure if I said thank you at the time ( I'm starting to develop a bad habit of that, which I desperately need to break ). Thanks!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

1500quidporsche posted:

The Taurus gave you your first taste of domestic car pain, leading you to seek out a Japanese car for reliability. Normally that would have worked but you bought an SVX, which further lowered your expectations and whittled away any lingering inhibitions. This led to an 80's VAG which taught you true pain and suffering, corrupting your soul and giving you a masochistic yearn for further self abuse. At that point a GMC Safari was purchased, without a second thought to the economic and emotional repercussions, it was needed to haul parts. All of these events led to today when you picked up a sub $1000 RX7 in -30C weather with a crew of equally corrupted internet people and drove it home while McTinkerson cackled in the background like a dark sith lord watching his apprentice kill his first jedi.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
This remind me. Would one of you guys be interested in a pocket edition of Mazda RX-7 1987 workshop manual? Mint condition, bought at Value Village's books section as light reading material with pretty diagrams. Happy to pass on the savings to someone who may actually need it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

I definitely would've drank more if I didn't eat some currywurst two days before that punched a giant hole in my stomach.

And yeah do what I do and just keep making increasingly poor car purchases until one finally pays off big time. Project cars are great but jesus christ I need to work on getting a place with a garage soon.

Haha, this is awesome! You need some kind of wall mount or frames for your burgeoning manual collection.

McTinkerson posted:

I was just too drat excited, two or three may have disappeared later on though :cheers:

PBR is way better than I remember - I'm not sure if I said thank you at the time ( I'm starting to develop a bad habit of that, which I desperately need to break ). Thanks!

I think you were just tasting rotary love. I'll say that PBR was less gross than I remembered, but I thought it was a good match for the redneck rotary project.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fun fact: I'd never had PBR before. I have no idea how but that's how it goes. It was alright, boosted substantially by being free. Thanks!

My pleasure! I think we broke even because I'm sure I've mooched some Subaru knowledge off of you before.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
When my friend and I had rotaries, PBR was the wrenchin' beer of choice (because it was all we could afford :v:).

You boys done good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

When my friend and I had rotaries, PBR was the wrenchin' beer of choice (because it was all we could afford :v:).

You boys done good.

We probably needed it in case the water pump leak got any worse, too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm now vaguely entertaining ordering a tow hitch for the van because an 86 GMC Safari hauling down an 86 RX7 in the year 2016 seems pretty great to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm now vaguely entertaining ordering a tow hitch for the van because an 86 GMC Safari hauling down an 86 RX7 in the year 2016 seems pretty great to me.

And, if you accidentally 88mph going down a really big hill or whatever and time travel, you'd be the coolest guy on the planet in 1986.

Blew the upper rad hose on the lincoln, luckily only a block away from home. That made today a "drive everything" day because i had to get the f250 out from in front of the garage and get the bmw out of the garage and get the lincoln in. A neighbor from a few houses down across the alley came out to walk her dog and said "do you own anything that isn't obnoxiously loud?". I said "yeah, my dogs"

I don't own any dogs and hers is a loud little poo poo that she always locks on the porch to bark for 20 hours a day. I don't know if she got the message or if she just assumes i have dogs that poop in a litter box. Either way, i don't think i ever have to talk to her again so it's all good.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Don't forget the brake controller and writing harness if you go that route.

Handy though, because then you can get a little tent trailer for camping, or a support trailer for your cart.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Well that option is out. Even Uhaul won't rent a flatbed for my vehicle.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah you have to have a 3/4 ton or bigger for a flatbed. It's stupid.

You can rent a 2-wheel dolly with a half ton, though!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Remember this time last year when I bought a Lexus in Edmonton, then drove up with a buddy and his half-ton and used a U-Haul car hauler to move a 1992 Pontiac Firefly from Edmonton to Calgary the following week? Good times, those. Good times.

(not saying it's the best idea but it's doable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ashes to ashes
panel's too rusty
we should have bought a Subaru justy