Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Geryon was a complete loving pain in the rear end. Needing to get sap and slow to stick on top of the constant :gas: making sure half your team is locked down with silence/sleep/blind :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Pulled a Dragon Whisker for Rydia. Wooh. Kind of wish I'd leveled her instead of Golbez now but hey, still a 5 star weapon.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'll have 50 mythril by the end of this ff4 event I'm wondering should I do a 50-pull on one banner or a 3-pull on each banner. Decisions...

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Boss rush was much easier than expected. Dark Bahamut's Megaflare is barely a threat this time around, although Opongo's double deluge still sucks.

Odin was a chump even with me being dumb and forgetting to bring Protect; Zanetsuken does do 1k through Steal Power and Sentinel's without Protectga up, but that still wasn't enough to kill anyone before I finished the fight with Gilgamesh's Death Claw.

Geryon was simultanously far worse and far better than expected; he kept statusing the party and did an AOE Slowga that hit everyone but Celes...and then completely failed to capitalize on it to the point where I still blew him to pieces without being in serious danger.

Now to wait for stamina to recharge to take on Ultimate Rubicante.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The answer to which rw to leave up is the one that gets you the most mutual followers of the rw's you want to summon because you only get two hundred gil per summon. If you really need gil that bad then just spend a day in a daily gil dungeon.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Um

what do we have that gives SAP to enemies? Bio gives poison here

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Shoenin posted:

Um

Butz's 2-hit wind AOE SB.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A few different SB's.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Shoenin posted:

Um

Shadowsteel from the + is the solution for 95% of us. A couple SBs work too and a generic 5* FFVI weapon has sap effect.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Oh, didnt see Shadowsteel

Please tell me the chance isnt something stupid like 30%

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Oh, didnt see Shadowsteel

Please tell me the chance isnt something stupid like 30%

Thankfully it isn't something stupid like 30%.

It is 25%

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

Thankfully it isn't something stupid like 30%.

It is 25%

Great. :shepicide:

On the bright side, White Dragon felt... okay. Mastered THAT fight with no medals lost. Also I should thank my lucky stars I at least have Tellah's Polymorph Rod.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Vaan's White Whorl SB has a 50% chance at proccing Sap, I'll set it as my RW for the event if anyone wants to use it: 98EM

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This entire boss rush seems custom-made for retaliate setups. Shame my best weapons is a 4*+ dagger! I'll have to see if I can mage my way to victory.

Dollar pull got me my third 4* Knight Armor for FFI, the most important of all realm synergies.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Ultimate Rubicante is pretty easy. His damage is pretty crazy high, but once your mitigation is up the fight is really straightforward. He puts his cape up after 3 turns, so once you get the timing down you can deal with his defense phase really quickly. He is almost all magic so just load up on your best res gear and possibly fire resist accessories to supplement.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 11, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Does Sap at least have a clear indication that it actually hit?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Shoenin posted:

Does Sap at least have a clear indication that it actually hit?

Yeah, an enemy inflicted with Sap will have their sprite pulse between their regular colors and black.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
cool. Geryon should be easy then like he was in 4DS

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My dollar got me a Healing Staff! I feel like this is a good draw since I can give any WM with a bad soul break a better one in any realm I don't have at least a 5++ staff for (so 1, 3 maybe, 6, 7 maybe, 8, 9, and 10.)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Yeah, an enemy inflicted with Sap will have their sprite pulse between their regular colors and black.

It is worth noting that Geryon has his own animation where he starts pulsing and it looks really similar to sap. I almost didn't notice until I realized he wasn't taking damage procs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Regular Flare can eat a bagga dicks. I think I need to bring Dispel so the dragon Flares itself to death by accident.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So I've got a FF6 Flame Shield that adds minor fire resist, but only has 61 RES. I've got Ice Armor+ (50 RES with RS) that adds "moderate" fire resist. I'm guessing the terrible RES scores on these armors will make them inferior to armors with 100+ RES, even with their fire resistance against Rubicante? Anybody good enough with the game mechanics to make an estimated guess on this?

For more specific examples, Bartz could have 139 RES with the Ice Armor+, 153 RES with the Flame Shield, 204 with the 4* Black Garb, or 188 with a Genji Shield. Y'shtola would have 187 RES with the Flame Shield, 222 with the Genji Shield, or 238 with the Black Garb, or 277+ with various robes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Minor Resistance is 10%, moderate is 20%. And they are affected by Realm Synergy, so if you have moderate resistance with synergy, that's 30% resistance.

I've seen it mathed out that 30% resistance is worth 52.9% Defense/Res assuming all damage is fire.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Despite my insistence that I'm gonna stockpile mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix banners I couldn't help but throw 10 mythril at this latest IV banner in a small desperation bid for the Ebon Armor.

It didn't happen. Welp, c'est la vie.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Wow, having 330+ resistance on everybody but Rinoa (who still had a bit of fire resistance to compensate) meant that Ultimate Rubicante was not doing much in the way of damage. Shellga + Breakdown + Sentinel's meant his single target inferno was only doing ~500, which was pathetic.

Celes, Rinoa, Tyro (mana's paean + steal power), Vivi, Y'sholta, RW Boon

Turn 1 got up Boon and Stoneskin, put up Mana's Paean, and then spammed ice and water magic until he fell over dead, using Steal Power to end the defense stance when needed.

So when does magic start struggling to handle bosses again?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the Orb of Zot posted:

So when does magic start struggling to handle bosses again?

I think it's about the time that you run out of abilities. :v:

The thing about Lifesiphon/SB-spam meta is that even if you run out of lifesiphons, you'll still gain your SBs to spam, just at a slower rate. If you run out of spells with mage meta, that character's generally a useless sack of poo poo for the rest of the battle unless you happen to have a Retaliator to bounce rods off of.

Very, very few battles even in JP's stuff get to the point where you'll burn through 20 ability uses plus Soul Breaks (if you have decent ones) without the boss being dead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

I think it's about the time that you run out of abilities. :v:

The thing about Lifesiphon/SB-spam meta is that even if you run out of lifesiphons, you'll still gain your SBs to spam, just at a slower rate. If you run out of spells with mage meta, that character's generally a useless sack of poo poo for the rest of the battle unless you happen to have a Retaliator to bounce rods off of.

Very, very few battles even in JP's stuff get to the point where you'll burn through 20 ability uses plus Soul Breaks (if you have decent ones) without the boss being dead.

Putting two Rank 5 -aja spells on each person on a mage team is really expensive though. With R3 and 4 spells, it seems pretty easy to get down to the wire with enemies that have 270K+ health.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

Putting two Rank 5 -aja spells on each person on a mage team is really expensive though. With R3 and 4 spells, it seems pretty easy to get down to the wire with enemies that have 270K+ health.

Yeah, Mage meta is significantly grindier than a Scream-based team, that's for certain. (That said, getting to Rank 5 Lifesiphon isn't much easier, let's be real.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also boss Defense and Resistance starts getting really, really high. Ultimate+ Caius has over 20k Resistance and he's not an absurd outlier or anything.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, Mage meta is significantly grindier than a Scream-based team, that's for certain. (That said, getting to Rank 5 Lifesiphon isn't much easier, let's be real.)

Yeah, but R5 lifesiphon can be worth substantially more damage if you're carrying a good SB. It's good for an extra 2-3 SB uses versus ten -ja spells.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Despite my insistence that I'm gonna stockpile mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix banners I couldn't help but throw 10 mythril at this latest IV banner in a small desperation bid for the Ebon Armor.

It didn't happen. Welp, c'est la vie.

It's better than me throwing about 50 Mythril at it and not getting a single 5*.

Oh well. I'll just burn an 11 on the Fang banner and be done til the Jecht banner.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think I'm hanging on to all my mythril until either tactics or the anniversary stuff now. Between events and catching way up on dungeons I should get a decent chunk.

Of course, eventually I'm going to get antsy and want to blow it on some random banner.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Dollar pull. Get a 4*, said 4* is a FF4 Black Garb. It's not a Gold Shield at least! And it's Synergy!

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I finally beat Ultimate Yunalesca today thanks to Advantauntaliate, but didn't master it because she fired off Mega Death on Gilgamesh with just a mere sliver of her health bar left. Had she been a few seconds slower or done literally anything else, I would have finished her off with one last counter attack and mastered the fight. Ah well, at least I got the Accessory. I know with the right luck I could probably master the fight but I don't know if I can be bothered, as I'd rather try the new FF4 fights. I didn't master the ++ or +++ fights either due to similar bullshit (couldn't poison Sandy in ++, couldn't land Berserk consistently in +++) and I don't know if I want to bother with them either.

Got a couple of questions for my RW and the beginner's banner:

During Orbfest I landed a couple of useful SBs for my RW. Right now I'm using Aerith with Healing Wind, but now I have Oerba's Boon, Fabled Song, and Healing Grimoire to offer as well. I'm assuming Oerba's Boon is the most useful to offer on my RW?

As for the Beginner's Banner, I have some decent natural 5* gear but it's mostly armor. There's some stuff on this banner that's really useful to me but I'm having trouble deciding. I've narrowed it down to:

Tyrfing, because I need FF3 synergy and Advance might be another good offering for a RW
Dark Sword, because the latest event has shown my FF4 synergy is awful (though I'm not a fan of Dark Cecil)
Valkyrie or Storm Staff, because my best MAG weapons are RedXIII's Silver Barrette and Aerith's Guard Stick
Ras Algethi, because my best gun is the free one we got at New Year's

I could also pull the Dusk Lance for shits and giggles, because I have two already and it would allow me to make a ridiculous 7* item.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's kinda hard to suggest something without knowing exactly what you have, but I would recommend the Storm Staff, which has good all around stats for all mages and a decent SB, the Valkyrie, which is great for Hope and Rinoa, or the Stormlance Grimoire, which with the right setup can make Tyro put out some great numbers. A year on down the line when they add job souls Tyrfing might up being insane because you would be able to plug Retaliate onto Luneth and have him beat the poo poo out of everything, but it's honestly not that great if you need to fill in weak spots in your gear for other roles or realms.

The other weapons on there aren't worth it. Ras Algethi is only ~30 ATK stronger than the New Years' gun, and the SB on it is pretty lame. Plus, it's XII synergy, which is underutilized. Most of the other stuff is just junky melee weapons that can be replaced by pretty much any given weapon off a banner or combined 4* gear.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You're all weirdos for doing the new bonus battles on exp day

e: yunalesca goes away tomorrow so that's ok though

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Captain Vittles posted:

During Orbfest I landed a couple of useful SBs for my RW. Right now I'm using Aerith with Healing Wind, but now I have Oerba's Boon, Fabled Song, and Healing Grimoire to offer as well. I'm assuming Oerba's Boon is the most useful to offer on my RW?

I'd honestly go with Fabled Song. The Heavy Regen is probably going to be more useful in keeping everyone topped off early-game while if you wanted to be efficient with Oerba's Boon you'd have to delay it and miss out on the Protect.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, that's back-to-back 100 gem pulls that have given me 5 star relics. Guess the game must have realised I was ready to give up on those. :v:

Just the Dark Gloves so no SB again, but still appreciated.

Also I realised that I want to use the Samurai with that core augment thing ASAP so I can see all the characters swinging Darkmoon's ridiculous katana. I hope they don't spoil things by having the core characters do the attacks the proper characters can't normally use like RWs do.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

Also boss Defense and Resistance starts getting really, really high. Ultimate+ Caius has over 20k Resistance and he's not an absurd outlier or anything.

Are you certain you don't mean 2k resistance?

Like Omega was 1500 resistance and he was already so hilariously durable that Thundaja couldn't do even 8k damage targeting a WEAKNESS. 2000 would be a truly massive amount to overcome even if there were elemental weaknesses to exploit, and without those then you might as well just go melee for the easier to boost damage.

20k resistance would basically mean "magic is useless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah I mentally misplaced a zero. 2000+ resistance, not 20000+. Incredibly tanky, but not completely insurmountable.

• Locked thread