Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Only seen/heard one hacker so far, and that was just last night.

He was rapid firing 40mm like others said, I actually thought for a second the dev's had added a Mk19 without telling us

The only other stuff that was even close to being called hacking is people making REALLY accurate rifle shots from insane distances, which isn't hacking but using a streaming overlay to zoom+enhance their gun sight like 300%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

The only other stuff that was even close to being called hacking is people making REALLY accurate rifle shots from insane distances, which isn't hacking but using a streaming overlay to zoom+enhance their gun sight like 300%

That makes a lot of sense and also depresses me all in one.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Uncle Spriggly posted:

That makes a lot of sense and also depresses me all in one.

I only heard about it while playing, and then it made sense when I looked into it.

There will always be people looking for the upper hand to pad their k/d, this is just the modern day equivalent of putting a little mark on your monitor where your crosshair sits

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Just had a great moment... team down to 6 tickets on OP First Light, we assume match is lost. Someone says there's an enemy rally point in the smoke nearby so I lob a grenade in there and the match IMMEDIATEDLY ends. We win by 5 tickets :smug: 16:4 final score so I'm guessing I got a bunch of em. Love playing with the GL.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else noticed they are taking very accurate 40mm fire from 200+ meters all day every day? I've been on both RedCoat servers and I'm on an US server right now. The rate of fire for 40MM seem's slower then a hacker but the rounds are dropping with great accuracy on us from some pretty crazy distances.

This game is great but with the hacks it's starting to get sad.

*edit on Chora Valley russian side and two grenadiers are down to the south east of the main spawn hitting us with 40mm the second we move. It's not high volume fire but its accurate and never ending. Not the most enjoyable time.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
40mm's are easier to aim at long range than rifles are once you get the hang of it.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

NuckmasterJ posted:

This game is great but with the hacks it's starting to get sad.
I have 60+ hours in this game and there's just no way there's as much hacking as you've indicated in this thread. The only thing I can confirm seeing is one or two rpg/he spammers. Compared to every other FPS I've played, that is pretty amazing (especially since there's no anti-cheat yet).

Vatek posted:

40mm's are easier to aim at long range than rifles are once you get the hang of it.
Like an order of magnitude easier because you can see the plume of smoke where they land. I get way more kills with my GL than my rifle.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 9, 2016

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Spyde posted:

I have 60+ hours in this game and there's just no way there's as much hacking as you've indicated in this thread. The only thing I can confirm seeing is one or two rpg/he spammers. Compared to every other FPS I've played, that is pretty amazing (especially since there's no anti-cheat yet).
Like an order of magnitude easier because you can see the plume of smoke where they land. I get way more kills with my GL than my rifle.

I ran into another hacker after Chora, same server. High volume 40MM then smoke spam to drop FPS.

What servers are you guys playing on? I try to get on US servers to get a low ping but they are either packed or empty. I've been on RedCoats a bunch but the hackers are pretty frequent in the evenings when EU admins are asleep.

I also get that 40MM are easy to aim, but these shots are going through trees and bushes and hitting guys concealed. Or they are hitting the walls in front of us even though there's no indication we are there, and the volume keeps up so its either 4 or 5 guys shooting as soon as they are reloaded or its one GL guy taking his time on his shots. I don't like spewing out hackusations but it's pretty obvious when its happening even if the perp is keeping the rate of fire low.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2016

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Fair enough, that does sound strange. Just haven't had many problems myself and I play a stupid amount of this game. Euro servers might be worse though. Always play on NA ones myself since I'm west coast, usually get into a full one in less than 5min of join-spamming.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 9, 2016

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
This is a very fun and good game.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play on US server since I'm on the left coast. I think I was on a server where there was a hacker yesterday, the other team was complaining about it and on a 72 player server I saw almost no enemies the whole round until we were surrounding their main spawn.

Gotta look into some of these hacks, I bet ruining an otherwise awesome game really gets your dick hard.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I guess I just don't really see why I'd want to play this game over arma or battlefield. It seems like it does the tactilol worse than arma, and the big fun multiplayer worse than battlefield. I'd be interested to hear why my opinion is bad and dumb though.

alr
May 14, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

I guess I just don't really see why I'd want to play this game over arma or battlefield. It seems like it does the tactilol worse than arma, and the big fun multiplayer worse than battlefield. I'd be interested to hear why my opinion is bad and dumb though.

For me it's because it's Insurgency, but bigger. I still play Arma if I want the combined arms massive scale stuff etc but sometimes I want to jump in and shoot stuff without really thinking about it too hard. That's always been Insurgency but it's nice to have a larger scale option now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alr posted:

For me it's because it's Insurgency, but bigger. I still play Arma if I want the combined arms massive scale stuff etc but sometimes I want to jump in and shoot stuff without really thinking about it too hard. That's always been Insurgency but it's nice to have a larger scale option now.

Same for me, ARMA is just too much time/brain investment for me. I generally have very limited time to play and Squad allows me to get in and start having fun immediately without wasting any time.

Also I like the engine/gunplay better.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
But if you just want to jump in and have some action, why not battlefield?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knifegrab posted:

But if you just want to jump in and have some action, why not battlefield?

Because it is poo poo.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Squad is great, especially if you can find a squad that will cooperate with you. Harder is to find other squad leaders who will cooperate with you. I think this game is extremely fun, but I do find myself only going to certain servers that actively have members on who are willing to work together.

Hell, the best squad I ever had was led by myself with a full compliment of random people. We managed to score like 45k in points, more than the other squads combined and equal to the entire enemy team on a 60 person server. That kind of performance just goes to show that if you stick together, communicate with other squads, and work toward attainable goals, you will win. People easily get detracted by building superfobs or doing ill-fated far flung flanking outmaneuvers when sometimes the game just calls for going straight the gently caress in or knowing when to fall back from an objective.

I really hate when my teams get back capped. You have a defensive point and an attack point. If your whole team is attacking their point and not having too much resistance, guess where there teammates might be. I do try to defend as much as possible, but it is hard to get people who are used to the always attack mentality.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is the game projectile or hitscan for guns?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Knifegrab posted:

Is the game projectile or hitscan for guns?

projectile, otherwise we'd be returning fire against people hundreds of metres away with handguns

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
GTA 5 has projectiles and the AI still snipe the gently caress out of you with pistols.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Croccers posted:

GTA 5 has projectiles and the AI still snipe the gently caress out of you with pistols.

GTA 5 is hitscan.

I'm gonna pick this game up and try it out tonight. Is it populated or is it just a few full servers?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I get a hitscan vibe to Squad, but I could easily be mistaken. What is Unreal?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knifegrab posted:

GTA 5 is hitscan.

I'm gonna pick this game up and try it out tonight. Is it populated or is it just a few full servers?

Very populated, lots of full 72 player servers all the time.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Got a new computer and I noticed that I now meet the requirements for this.

Is there a goon crew or whatever that rolls together regularly in this game? Or is this thread just a collection of randoms who have their own cliques or who always run solo?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Love Stole the Day posted:

Got a new computer and I noticed that I now meet the requirements for this.

Is there a goon crew or whatever that rolls together regularly in this game? Or is this thread just a collection of randoms who have their own cliques or who always run solo?

Man we should get Goon Squads going for sure. Squad Lead can boot people so we can ensure proper goonification. We would suck up a server so bad, it would be hilarious. Park a FOB right in the path of enemy re-spawns and drop an ammo crate. Let those RPG's fly!

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
^^^^^That works too ^^^^^

I would love to organize some goon squads. All it takes is 2-4 goons per squad (at least one being an SL) for like 2-3 squads to get a whole team to be decent. Doing that, you can get your team to actually do want you are supposed to do. People ARE willing to cooperate and act like a team in this game, it is extremely striking to me that that is the case in this game. It just takes a little cohesion between squads, which sometimes doesnt always happen.

I REALLY want it to be more obvious who the SL is, like if you get field promoted, it should flash on your cross hairs to let you know, its that important.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I bought this yesterday expecting to play for two hours then refund. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's very enjoyable if you prefer slower paced matched with moments of intense firefights. Even most pubbies are tolerable and actually communicate.

Hard as gently caress though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Godmachine posted:

I bought this yesterday expecting to play for two hours then refund. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's very enjoyable if you prefer slower paced matched with moments of intense firefights. Even most pubbies are tolerable and actually communicate.

Hard as gently caress though.

Once you get a hang of the no-zoom iron sights, get a handle on the maps, and find yourself with solid squad leaders who lead you right into the fray, you'll start getting better quickly. Squad has a surprisingly easy learning curve, though all the weapons are different (in their own weird ways) and it takes a little while to learn to differences between both side's loadouts and to distinguish between gun sounds, which is essential.

Played some good goon rounds tonight, I had fun as SL for a round but I really prefer more passive roles like medic or light anti-tank. I also really suck with the M4 acog, I feel like I'm more accurate at long ranges with the red dot, but the Dragunov owns and when I can grab that slot on Militia/Russian teams I rack up the kills

Stoked about them adding vehicles later this month though that should be really awesome, I'm looking forward to holding down certain points (pretty much all of Fool's Road comes to mind) with mounted heavy MGs, though they're gonna have to find a way to balance the shittiness of toyotas with the armor of humvees

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Once you get a hang of the no-zoom iron sights, get a handle on the maps, and find yourself with solid squad leaders who lead you right into the fray, you'll start getting better quickly. Squad has a surprisingly easy learning curve, though all the weapons are different (in their own weird ways) and it takes a little while to learn to differences between both side's loadouts and to distinguish between gun sounds, which is essential.

Played some good goon rounds tonight, I had fun as SL for a round but I really prefer more passive roles like medic or light anti-tank. I also really suck with the M4 acog, I feel like I'm more accurate at long ranges with the red dot, but the Dragunov owns and when I can grab that slot on Militia/Russian teams I rack up the kills

Stoked about them adding vehicles later this month though that should be really awesome, I'm looking forward to holding down certain points (pretty much all of Fool's Road comes to mind) with mounted heavy MGs, though they're gonna have to find a way to balance the shittiness of toyotas with the armor of humvees

I think vehicles may have been delayed beyond the end of the month update, as they have some vehicles in the dev build but the desync between people on the server and where they see the vehicle is so bad that the vehicle just ends up bouncing around everywhere and they need to do a lot of reworking the code to figure it out, but they definitely will be a great added bonus.

I did a lot more sneaky stuff tonight that, while probably not the 100% smartest thing I should have been doing at the moment, I did get some sweet flanks on squads of Americans after crouch walking through poppy fields following the sound of their gun fire. Goon stacking a squad would be great as having a full squad of non-pubbies is so great that I ended up joining some random clan because they always have people on and ready to dominate.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does this game play like a bigger insurgency?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Knifegrab posted:

Does this game play like a bigger insurgency?

Yes in that its based on realism, no cross hairs, and real life tactics (like suppressing fire ) are viable.

No in that you can't personalize your load-out yet, you can play as a medic, and it doesn't feel quite as smooth.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Godmachine posted:

Yes in that its based on realism, no cross hairs, and real life tactics (like suppressing fire ) are viable.

No in that you can't personalize your load-out yet, you can play as a medic, and it doesn't feel quite as smooth.

Gah, I am reading a lot on this game to try and justify my $40 and it just seems like insurgency is better in most ways? I want a new semi-sim FPS, and insurgency isn't really filling that itch anymore.

Why do you say its not as smooth?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Gah, I am reading a lot on this game to try and justify my $40 and it just seems like insurgency is better in most ways? I want a new semi-sim FPS, and insurgency isn't really filling that itch anymore.

Why do you say its not as smooth?

Squad is to insurgency like battlefield is to call of duty

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:toot: a patch

quote:

Alpha 3.9 Changelog

Improved client performance related to optimizations in the anim system

Fixed kit allocations not working in many situations

Updated Militia player models with new components, distinguishing them further from other factions

Performance improvements to the Militia player models

Leaving a squad now replaces your kit

Improved Steam authentication for better stability

Allows for joining on Steam friends

Allows for joining servers via web browser sites

Increased server connection timeout, decreasing the amount of unintentional disconnects

Increased server browser timeout

Increased timeout for joining a map to allow people with low spec pc’s to load the game, without being kicked unintentionally by the server for timeout

Added SteamID to showplayerids

Fixed banning by ID issues

Improved performance of explosion effects

Added the ability to reset keybindings

Separated out the default button in each section of the settings menu, pressing default now only resets the current menu’s settings.

Players can now cancel joining the firing range in menu

Fixed incorrect access level for banning

Fixed a few server crashes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hey this game is pretty fun and the community is largely not poo poo.

Also that patch addresses a whole bunch of things I wanted added so good job developers.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
This game is really not like insurgency at all. ARMA + Red Orchestra is a much better description. Its like a hardcore battlefield. Yes you are better off waiting for a medic to revive you, but during a real game you will end up re-spawing multiple times. There are a lot of great systems in place which facilitate and reward team play right out of the box. Sticking together as a squad can mean rally points, and actual medic service (assuming your squad is putting down smoke/suppressing fire). The game also does a great job of rewarding both tactics and strategy without being too god drat finiky about it. It is really fun, I think the penalty for dying is in a really good place. It makes your life worthwhile, but doesn't force you to cower in fear all the time. lovely team mates do have a lot of power to ruin your experience, which I will admit sucks. But honestly has been the exception, not the rule.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

In PR the technicals were far more of an expendable asset. You have a good amount of them to start with, they're a little varied (some technicals had an MG, some had an SPG, some had ammo crates, and some had rocket pods from a helo), and when they're destroyed you didn't lose very many tickets and they respawned pretty fast. Compared to say, the Strykers on the US team, they respawned slow, required a dedicated class to operate, and costed a lot of tickets when they were destroyed.

Also I liked the older Militia models better, felt much more current Ukrainian conflict to me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I just downloaded the game.

If anyone wants to make a goon squad or whatever and play together for the next few hours, I'll be in the CTS Mumble in the "Squad - Sperglord 1-1 to HQ" channel.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The difference between the map and the spawn screen bothers me. I hope it gets some attention, which it probably will, because right now it just frusterates me that I can't put markings on the map screen, but can on the spawn screen. Also, when yer dead the map should just pull up the spawn screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dvsilverwing posted:

In PR the technicals were far more of an expendable asset. You have a good amount of them to start with, they're a little varied (some technicals had an MG, some had an SPG, some had ammo crates, and some had rocket pods from a helo), and when they're destroyed you didn't lose very many tickets and they respawned pretty fast. Compared to say, the Strykers on the US team, they respawned slow, required a dedicated class to operate, and costed a lot of tickets when they were destroyed.

Also I liked the older Militia models better, felt much more current Ukrainian conflict to me.

I prefer the new Militia outfits. The track suit should be reserved for squad leaders only!

There is nothing worse then being in a pretty decent squad but your SL keeps trying to flank far away from the fight and setup a FOB at least 2 minute walk from anything of interest. In the time it takes to find a good spot and build our entire team just got completely wiped we have no tickets left. I like flanking as much as the next guy but some people are way to out of touch with how fast a game can go south when a full squad is off sun tanning.