Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

NTRabbit posted:

A New Mexico can and will be citadeled by both the Fuso and Warspite regularly enough for it to be far from 'almost guaranteed', there's no need to exaggerate.

oh here we go with the stupid "it's the ship that's bad, not me" posts again. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

oh here we go with the stupid "it's the ship that's bad, not me" posts again. :toot:

Someone said it's not possible, I showed it was, while driving the ship in the recommended manner. Not my fault you can't get over it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

NTRabbit posted:

Someone said it's not possible, I showed it was. Not my fault you can't get over it.

american bbs have extremely thick citadel armor so while not impossible to be citadel'ed in one, it is extremely difficult. thanks for posting a picture of you being citadel'ed in an american bb thus providing further evidence of how terrible you are at baots

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

A New Mexico can and will be citadeled by both the Fuso and Warspite regularly enough for it to be far from 'almost guaranteed', there's no need to exaggerate.

You do realize that the entire front of your boat is only a hydrodynamic cap containing nothing but broom closets and anchor chains and you're presenting your frontmost armoured bulkhead(which is weaker than the rest of your citadel) head on, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Asehujiko posted:

You do realize that the entire front of your boat is only a hydrodynamic cap containing nothing but broom closets and anchor chains and you're presenting your frontmost armoured bulkhead(which is weaker than the rest of your citadel) head on, right?

So now you're saying not to drive bow first in the New Mexico? Pretty sure that was the advice a couple pages ago, and I had a bit more angle before the salvo hit, took the screenshot while turning so I could point blank the newly appeared Cleveland on my left with the rear guns.

If you want the rest of the story, my next salvo citadeled the Warspite through the side, his next bounced, and then the Cleveland suicide rammed me, which took me from ~30k hp down to something like 7k, and the rest promptly burned away. My Cleveland and the Warspite then mutually destroyed each other, and nobody else sailed over that side of the map for the rest of the battle.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Asehujiko posted:

I didn't realize that. I don't think that's something that's very obvious in the game.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
going bow first in any american bb--until the north carolina--is basically just asking to have your magazines penetrated. their armor is all-or-nothing with heavy armor belts around the citadel but relatively weak armor everywhere else. 45 degrees is the most ~~0ptim@L~~ angle

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Warspite also boasts larger caliber guns than anything else on her tier, which is amazing for loving poo poo up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gwaihir posted:

Warspite also boasts larger caliber guns than anything else on her tier, which is amazing for loving poo poo up.

Same tier ship as the New Mexico too.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Carrying some of these ranked teams is impossible. OTOH, sometimes things just go right. That poor Benson, Devastating Strike'd by battleship AP shells.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Sometimes Karlsruhe goes into beast mode and deals 100K damage.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
issm is the worst player on the NA server. Every time I have seen him, he suicides whatever ship he is playing. Is he a bot?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

cheese posted:

issm is the worst player on the NA server. Every time I have seen him, he suicides whatever ship he is playing. Is he a bot?

Still probably better than WARBEASTY.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

DurosKlav posted:

Still probably better than WARBEASTY.
http://warshipstats.com/na/player/issm
Its odd, his stats are not horrible (sub 1k XP per battle though) but he has over 6500 battles. He is just so aggressively bad every time I see him in game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
He's the one that usually says why bother we are going to lose anyways and yolo's in at the start of the match because MM is part of a conspiracy.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

demonR6 posted:

He's the one that usually says why bother we are going to lose anyways and yolo's in at the start of the match because MM is part of a conspiracy.
He drove straight into a cap point in his top tier Amagi and died to like 2 DDs and 3 cruisers.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

demonR6 posted:

If he's averaging 47k damage on a yolo I want him on my team, and I'll follow him in! Rather that than pubbies hanging back doing gently caress all because they might chip their paint.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he's become disenchanted over time and he's gone down the dark road of idgaf..

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

If he's averaging 47k damage on a yolo I want him on my team, and I'll follow him in! Rather that than pubbies hanging back doing gently caress all because they might chip their paint.
Fair enough. I appreciate a good charge in an Amagi or NC, but not a solo charge.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

cheese posted:

Fair enough. I appreciate a good charge in an Amagi or NC, but not a solo charge.

No you're probably right I was mostly joking.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
At what tier do Russian destroyers become good? I just unlocked the tier 4 one and it doesn't seem great so far.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Gnevnyy is a gunboat that can citadel CAs up to tier V and torp charging idiots from inside a smoke cloud.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

At what tier do Russian destroyers become good? I just unlocked the tier 4 one and it doesn't seem great so far.

The Izzy is actually the first decent one.

Play her as a gunboat and just put a shitload of shells downrange with your five guns. Stay at high speed and mid-to-long range and weave around a lot and you can gently caress with BBs and even cruisers. Then you get Gnevny and her 130mms and everything's right with the world.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

cheese posted:

To be fair, a supported charge in a battleship becomes a solo charge a depressingly large amount of the time when playing with pubbies. Always good to see those three cruisers and a destroyer supporting you deciding to gently caress off in a completely different direction after you'd already engaged.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Magni posted:

It's hard to tell if it is or isn't, because like a lot of tier 4s it's a huge victim of the low population on the NA server. It has to spend its entire career as bottom or middle tier using slow, 5km range torpedoes (if you freexp them) in competition with Minekazes and Farraguts that are just better at everything Destroyer, all while being hunted down by the minimum 2 Omaha/Murmansk/Marblehead per side, plus Clevelands, plus battleships that now pack dangerous amounts of secondaries with range that matches how close you need to get for those torpedoes to not run out of fuel.

The Derzki gets to spend most of its time as top tier on NA, where it's a lot easier and safer to get to 3km range, most things can't dodge the torpedo vomit despite the slow speed, and the low damage per torp means you still need to work to get enough hits to sink something heavy on your own.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The thing is the Izzy doesn't really wanna go around torping all that much anyway, just like the rest of the line from then on. Just pepper people with shells from 10+km away and murder other destroyers. The torps are a pure secondary weapon for ambushes and in case you get into a short-range fight with another DD.

And in other news, unleashing the Kraken in Ranked mode shouldn't really be a thing, right?

Well this just happened. Also, that Kiev evaporating and one guy getting salty in chat when I tell em it was a good fight made for a good start of the day. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 10, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Magni posted:

Just pepper people with shells from 10+km away and murder other destroyers.

But when it's bottom tier, as a gunboat it's strictly inferior to the Nicholas and Farragut, and I guess probably the Gnevny and Ognevoi as well. When the server population is so low, and so polarised between lots 1-3 newbies and clubbers, and fewer but still numerous 5-7 been at it a whiles, tier 4 stuff just gets consistently screwed into being bottom tier, so it never has a chance to show it can shine. It's like when they deleted battle tier 12 in Tanks for the benefit of matchmaker wait times on the RU server, with the side effect being that on the NA server it forced tier 8s to see 7 tier 10 battles in every 10, totally screwing the weaker tier 8 vehicles that had a good niche in tier 8 battles, but were very incapable of handling tier 10s

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 10, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Izzy can do decently well vs higher-tier US DDs if it stays at mid-range. It can put out similar amounts of fire and has less issues with hangtime on the shells. Goes even more for the Gnevny and Ognevoi. They don't wreck US DDs in a knife-fight, they wreck them at like 7km distance, where the disparity in shell velocity and the flatter trajectory of the russian guns gives them a huge advantage.

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 10, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Should I be using ap on the izzy versus other dds? I have been using he pretty exclusively and just struggling with it in general. Good to know those 102mm shells can still pen cruisers that aren't the st louis.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

Should I be using ap on the izzy versus other dds? I have been using he pretty exclusively and just struggling with it in general. Good to know those 102mm shells can still pen cruisers that aren't the st louis.

HE against other destroyers. AP will mostly overpen and do less damage overall, while HE will do more damage and knock out more modules.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

On the other hand, this

turned into this and this, so it has that going for it I guess

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there any way to lock different turrents to different azimuths/targets? Would be nice to, say, have my bow guns aimed at a cruiser and my aft turret which doesn't have a firing angle to the cruiser trained off in the direction of that destroyer who's ducking in and out of his smoke in case he shows himself.

Also, I know you can hit the 'switch shells' key once to queue up AP to be loaded after you fire your HE, but this does it for all guns which can be inconvenient. I mean, let's say turrets A, B, C, and D all have HE loaded, and I want to switch them to AP after they fire, but only turrets A and B can fire on my current target. If I hit the hotkey, and then fire A and B, all 4 turrets start reloading even though C and D had shells ready to go. Is there a "wait until you fire your current round, and *then* load a different shell type" key?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
DD AP won't overpen other DDs any more than CA AP would overpen other CAs. DD AP is 5 inches and smaller, which won't be able to reach breakthrough on most DD armor. That said, because it won't achieve breakthrough, it can also BOUNCE, which is the bigger problem. DDs turn quickly and often, and present a small target full of superstructure and deck to hit, so you're very likely to be bouncing DD AP against them. A disabled DD is a good AP target, as well as a foolish DD presenting broadside, hoping to win a gun duel.

But another problem with DD AP against DD is that it won't disable quite as many modules as HE. Since the engine and rudder are much more exposed on DDs, HE can knock them out easily, while the smaller explosions of AP are less likely to achieve this effect.

Its high risk, low reward to use DD AP over HE against other DDs. I'm sure that there's times where it'd be a great idea, but in practice it almost never is. Stick to HE.

Also fun fact: US DDs have the thinnest DD armor of all the DDs up until T8, when the Benson starts getting armoring on its Bow and Stern. Up until then, DD AP shells will typically overpen a US DD of comparable tier via breakthrough. Of all DDs, the RUS DDs are the most heavily armored, though not much more than the IJN. However, the t10 Khabarovsk is armored like a CA, making it much more resistant to HE than other DDs. You may want to AP it in a DD, instead.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've played some ranked this week. My highest tier ship is the Cleveland, and it's also my only tier 6, so I've been playing just that in the lower league. Lost the first game, then had eight straight victories and I'm now at rank 15. It's very easy to carry with teams this small and people bring all kinds of dumb tier 5's, but I guess this is where the challenge starts.

I've been considering buying an Atago, is it any good for ranked?
e: Or rather, what I mean to ask is, if I want to play ranked should I just man the gently caress up and learn to play destroyers and grind a Benson instead?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 10, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

I'll make a video soon. Pretty hilarious.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After a few weeks of not playing, instead of being bad, I am now garbage.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I got my fourth Kraken Unleashed using the Myoukou.

Sadly we lost because two Clevelands, a New York and a Minekaze couldn't take out a Fusou and a Sims that weren't even working together.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Haven't played this game in six months, but I heard there was anime now so that makes it worth grinding. I basically lost heart after the final progress wipe during beta or whatever.

Where's the meta at right now in terms of AP vs HE? I've seen that pendulum swing both ways.

Did the Montana ever get buffed to keep up with the Yamato? I ground up to the Nagato twice during beta so I figured I'd give the US BBs a shot but then the SC crushed my soul.

Is there an effort post for equipment/upgrades like there is for captain skills?

And it wouldn't be a wargaming product without something breaking:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Magni posted:

Play her as a gunboat and just put a shitload of shells downrange with your five guns. Stay at high speed and mid-to-long range and weave around a lot and you can gently caress with BBs and even cruisers. Then you get Gnevny and her 130mms and everything's right with the world.

This is RUS_DD.txt

Forget you have torps, play like half of a cruiser that annoys the poo poo out of boats, and ruin CAs with AP when they show you their sides and bully the poo poo out of other DD's outside of their torp range. I got 10 cits with the Gnevy in one battle because none of them realized that *I* was the one penning them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Desuwa posted:

Is there an effort post for equipment/upgrades like there is for captain skills?
Good idea, I'll work on one later. I should probably do a condensed commander skills post too, with updates thanks to the 2 new ship lines and rebalances since the last post.

Anyways, time to post some new vids. First off, I'm bad at letting some things go, so let's start with this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dqWl3wPdc8
The first take is my view at full speed, the second take is slow-mo free look to emphasize where the shells hit. As you can see, the best course of action when facing an angled ship is to loving AIM AT A CITADEL AND KILL IT
Very difficult tactic, impossible under normal circumstances. The New Mexico normally bounces all of its shells at this range, and if this accident hadn't occurred, would have been torped to death by the Aoba. Do note at the end, the Aoba's bow comes off of the ship model. This is to indicate that the killing blow was indeed a hit to the forward magazines. Similar things happen in ramming kills, detonation, and torpedo kills.

In my second video, you see another freak accident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWXNOi1YNE
Somehow, after surviving a ram with a Kongo (but I thought its max HP done in damage, Hazdoc!) I then proceed to do the impossible and citadel a Cleveland... TWICE!
Because the Kongo rammed me while I was moving away, we probably collided at around 10 knots in relative speed. I've never actually tested how ramming damage scales, but as you can see, a ram at that speed doesn't do full damage. Fortunately for me. :getin:
You DO get to see something hilarious, though. My shells underwater pen the Kongo... and overpen? I have no idea where the citadel's vertical hitbox ends below the ship, but I find that incredibly amusing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2016