Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku says himself that he asks for buu to be brought back to life as a good person at the end of dbz

that's why it happens. where you get the idea that him getting atomized by the spirit bomb caused him to be brought back to life is beyond me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The spirit bomb is so powerful it redeemed the villain

Goku bless us all

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Burkion posted:

It's the most self defeating attack in history.
Look man your point still stands perfectly with the Spirit Bomb defeating a grand total of 1 villain at the very end, you don't have to fudge facts to make this point. And no, I'm not gonna count Omega Shenron. gently caress GT.

In that context, it's especially hilarious how Toei used it to finish just about every fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Spirit Bomb does gently caress Vegeta up super bad too. Granted it doesn't kill him but it completely wipes him out and leaves him vulnerable enough that Krillin was going to finish him, that's got to count for a half or something

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Spirit Bomb does gently caress Vegeta up super bad too. Granted it doesn't kill him but it completely wipes him out and leaves him vulnerable enough that Krillin was going to finish him, that's got to count for a half or something
I mean the Spirit Bomb does things to a degree, but it's not the all-powerful finisher Toei made it out to be.

Speaking of, I love the Vegeta fight a lot. It's such a good "we are literally pulling out all the stops to finish this guy and we barely scrape by," filled with teamwork and momentum switches all over the place. It's probably the best constructed fight in DB, although other fights end up better just because of emotional resonance and intensity (Goku vs Freeza, Gohan vs Cell). Goku vs (chuckle) Junior is worthy of a strong mention for being a fantastic end to the original DB and the best constructed 1v1 fight.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

reincarnation doesn't make you the same person, ubb while reincarnated from buu is not buu.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It wasn't even the spirit bomb that made him leave, it was being crushed by a giant ape. He was actually still smacking around Krillin after the spirit bomb.

EDIT: And kicking Yajirobe I guess

mmkay fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 9, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Masenko is a Piccolo technique (thus the name.)

I think also it's name is also King Kamehameha's son, which is probably the point.

...Man, how many people still think Kamehameha's just the name of Goku's special attack and not the actual name of a king?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I forgot raditz

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

I forgot raditz

Understandable

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what would ssj3 raditz look like

would his hair get so long it wraps around

would he just be a yellow hairball

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What would happen if Goku didn't fall in fantasy Japan, but, instead, fell in 1910s Kentucky?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Would Goku refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm thinking he would end up in the Klan somehow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The klan would offer him a free lunch and he would spend his afternoon burning crosses on freeza's ship

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Baal posted:

The klan would offer him a free lunch and he would spend his afternoon burning crosses on freeza's ship

Honestly he's not that far off. Goku already spends early Dragon Ball as a hick beating up racist depictions of black people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, no one took the superman hook I was dangling at all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Of course not. Superman landed in Kansas. Kentucky is way more of a joke.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Of course not. Superman landed in Kansas. Kentucky is way more of a joke.

drat it, you're right. I mixed up the states because they start with the same letter.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The "spirit bomb turning people good thing" makes even less sense when you realize that that both Vegeta and Freeza were hit with, and didn't exactly become model citizens afterwards.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mr Interweb posted:

The "spirit bomb turning people good thing" makes even less sense when you realize that that both Vegeta and Freeza were hit with, and didn't exactly become model citizens afterwards.

Well Vegeta did. It just years and years and several severe cases of backsliding. Then again the Spirit Bomb he was hit with was a tiny-rear end one at a fraction of the power.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Well Vegeta did. It just years and years and several severe cases of backsliding. Then again the Spirit Bomb he was hit with was a tiny-rear end one at a fraction of the power.

Yeah, I shoulda put an asterisk on that one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

frieza killed vegeta with a finger laser and when he came back to life he became a good guy

coincidence?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So basically Goku would have been raised by Farmer with Shotgun?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

frieza killed vegeta with a finger laser and when he came back to life he became a good guy

coincidence?

Frieza killed the Vegeta Ocean VA and was resurrected with the Funi VA

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking about DBZ half asleep(as one does) and I know Toriyama forgets everything, but I realized it's kind of a missed opportunity Gohan and Goten never wore something like their mother's armor, especially since the latter was trained by her personally. It'd be nice to have had more on Chi-Chi and her relationship with her sons besides "killjoy bitch", honestly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Covok posted:

Man, no one took the superman hook I was dangling at all.

If it makes you feel any better I gave a superman joke some serious thought but eventually decided that wasn't the place to take this since we were; after all, dealing with Kentucky.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Say what you will about Dragon Ball Super, but it tries it's damnest to fix some of the dumb things about Resurrection F.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DragonTeam back to their old ways already, time to use KamiFS I guess :v:

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I wish they would have completely done away with Goku getting wrecked by a laser but hey, ep was a lot better than the other frieza ones. Can't wait for this arc to be over tho.

I have no clue why such a small thing bothered me, but man they could have added other z fighters reactions instead of it always being Krillin and Gohan saying the same thing in the same order 5 different times.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
You can't say Gohan jobbers worse in Super then ROF.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking about DBZ half asleep(as one does) and I know Toriyama forgets everything, but I realized it's kind of a missed opportunity Gohan and Goten never wore something like their mother's armor, especially since the latter was trained by her personally. It'd be nice to have had more on Chi-Chi and her relationship with her sons besides "killjoy bitch", honestly.

It'd be nice if any female characters were anything more than background t&a after their introduction.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It'd be nice if any female characters were anything more than background t&a after their introduction.

Bulma managed to remain relevant through the Cell arc, because, never having been a fighter in the first place, she didn't have a problem with falling behind. She's pretty much the only one, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea bulma is useful from the very beginning of dragon ball and stays so for pretty much the duration of the series, but she's not a fighter

18 was the first girl that can fight since, what, chichi's one fight in the third tournament? she's probably stronger than any of the non saiyans but piccolo and she still doesn't get to fight after beating the poo poo out of vegeta that one time. tho really I'd put that down more to "is not a saiyan" than "is a girl" since the power creep has always left everyone but goku, vegeta, and their kids in the dust

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea bulma is useful from the very beginning of dragon ball and stays so for pretty much the duration of the series, but she's not a fighter

18 was the first girl that can fight since, what, chichi's one fight in the third tournament? she's probably stronger than any of the non saiyans but piccolo and she still doesn't get to fight after beating the poo poo out of vegeta that one time. tho really I'd put that down more to "is not a saiyan" than "is a girl" since the power creep has always left everyone but goku, vegeta, and their kids in the dust

She's likely stronger than Piccolo at least as of the Buu Saga. Piccolo never really got any stronger and at his best he could barely go even against 17.

We know she's stronger than Goten and Trunks at that point as well, though that should be expected. I imagine they're not THAT powerful all considered, they just can go SSJ because of how many people they know that can do it. Gotenks is just a whole other thing because Fusions boost your power off the charts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DB seems to stick real real hard to the idea that if you're not actively interested in training you're not going to be fighting at any sort of high level. With RoF we basically can see that Frieza was fighting at like a loving iota of his maximum power level because he was abnormally strong by default and it just so happened that iota was infinitely stronger than everything else he normally encountered.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

This and Gohan being a worthless shitter are both entirely resolved by Pan springing from his head fully formed and the child Videl's carrying being some chump who won't get any fight time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was pan useful in gt? I watched like three episodes, tops

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Manatee Cannon posted:

was pan useful in gt? I watched like three episodes, tops

Kiiiinda? She has a better track record than most other characters in GT. Which is pretty sad all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that Goten barely exists. Trunks has a story and parents that care. Goten is ignored for Gohan or just needed for Gotenks.

• Locked thread