Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gologle posted:

As well as Final Fantasy Dimensions.

...Matrix Software is not a good company.

Their very first game was Alundra which is one of my favorite PS1 games though. They just peaked really, really early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was in tech school when Crystal Chronicles was released, and a bunch of us had GBAs, while I for some reason had a bunch of those connector cables for some unknown reason. Myself and another airman had a Gamecube, and my Gamecube had a GBA Player on it, so I thought it'd be hilarious to use that as my GBA for the game. Had an elaborate setup involving a small PC LCD screen, an A/V-to-VGA conversion box, and the GCN-to-GBA connector affixed to the GBA Player. It was basically this setup. It was stupid but a lot of fun.

Though that setup was much more fun with Pac-Man Vs. Man, I miss those days. :allears:

I remember my friends mom asked me what he wanted for his birthday that year and I said 4 link cables so we could play CC together lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of weird how much people seem to hate VIII considering it got like perfect reviews when it came out

I wonder what kind of scores a rerelease would get

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of weird how much people seem to hate VIII considering it got like perfect reviews when it came out

On the other hand so did Fallout 3 and that is not a particularly good video game either, especially not unpatched and unmodded. Highly anticipated and marketed AAA releases from a popular developer tend to have that effect unless the flaws are immediately obvious and glaring.

With both of them everything looks great on the surface and they also give strong first impressions, and a lot of people do genuinely enjoy them. But if you grab a shovel and dig through that surface a bit, you don't need to go particularly deep to see the stinky mess that's holding the rest of it up and once you've become aware of its existence, it's very difficult to see the pretty surface in the same light that you used to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kanfy posted:

Their very first game was Alundra which is one of my favorite PS1 games though. They just peaked really, really early on.

Even then Alundra, while being amazing, had some weird problems. Remember how it took absolutely ages to kill bosses? They actually had twice as much health in the Japanese version and took even longer to kill.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
About Final Fantasy XIV: is there ever a point in which I can summon a badass Eidolon or whatever to fight by my side? I've tried playing a Conjurer class and I've attained the ability to summon a mini-Carbuncle (or was that an actual Carbuncle?), which - while definitely charming and a pleasant companion - was hardly threatening and hard to control to boot. I don't presume to have Bahamut at my beck and call, but I was hoping for Ifrit or Shiva at the very least - at which level does the option open, if it ever does?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

About Final Fantasy XIV: is there ever a point in which I can summon a badass Eidolon or whatever to fight by my side? I've tried playing a Conjurer class and I've attained the ability to summon a mini-Carbuncle (or was that an actual Carbuncle?), which - while definitely charming and a pleasant companion - was hardly threatening and hard to control to boot. I don't presume to have Bahamut at my beck and call, but I was hoping for Ifrit or Shiva at the very least - at which level does the option open, if it ever does?

You start getting mini-versions of the real summons when you take the Summoner Job, available at level 30

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You start getting mini-versions of the real summons when you take the Summoner Job, available at level 30

Are there full versions to be used, maybe as a timed ability or something? After seeing Ramuh in FF XV demo I don't think I can be satisfied by a measly mini-summon beast any more.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Are there full versions to be used, maybe as a timed ability or something? After seeing Ramuh in FF XV demo I don't think I can be satisfied by a measly mini-summon beast any more.

Nah, they play a different part in the plot and tend to be boss fights in XIV, including Ramuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDG1rIz1S7k

A lot of people who play Summoners have said the same thing as you but you can imagine what a mess it'd be whenever there were more than one summoner around in the same vicinity.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

No, at most you can go into a bahamut trance when you are using their limit break but you never get to summon a full sized Egi. Sure its there so your computer doesn't melt when you have more than 5 summoners around doing fates, but lore wise it would be incredibly dumb to do so.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I understand why they wouldn't allow that, but it's still disappointing - oh well, mini-summons and limits are better than nothing, I suppose. Thanks for the answers and reminding me I should buy the OST for the game, in any case.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Summoner's a pretty baller job anyway (at least pre-expansion when I last played) and learning to manage everything makes fights pretty drat fun if you can juggle everything properly.

One of these days I need to play again to finish the story and to catch up on that awesome OST.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Mega64 posted:

Summoner's a pretty baller job anyway (at least pre-expansion when I last played) and learning to manage everything makes fights pretty drat fun if you can juggle everything properly.

One of these days I need to play again to finish the story and to catch up on that awesome OST.

Sometimes, I wonder if the reason I still play this silly game is because Soken shits out so many baller tracks in such a short amount of time.

I even have all the BluRay OSTs and the Fourth one pre-ordered :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Summoner has gotten even better. It's no longer just "apply dots, spam filler spell, manage pet". They got a lot of cool new toys, but the highlight is what's basically an orbital ion cannon that you can fire every minute.

Also, if anybody needs some enticement to come back, the next primal fight is going to be this guy:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, if anybody needs some enticement to come back, the next primal fight is going to be this guy:

whats wrong with those graphics

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is way more stupidly addictive than I thought it would be. I'm dreading doing the hard mode versions of some songs though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I really enjoyed 14 2.0 but after I'd finish all the content, grinding dungeons for better gear and running into bugs in that Bahamut dungeon were not exactly fun things. Summoners are neat though, used it as my main job. You are basically a flexible utility damage dealer who, at least when I played, could outdamage some of the dedicated damage dealers like Dragoons. You always had to be doing a million things though to keep it all up though. If everyone was doing their job right, it was nice and breezy because you could just focus on damage. Half of the time though you end up picking up slack by off-healing a bit or have to use Titan-egis to off-tank which was fun in its own way. Some of my most memorable Summoner moments were poo poo-hit-the-fan battles where we'd turn certain defeats into a victory.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 10, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember my friends mom asked me what he wanted for his birthday that year and I said 4 link cables so we could play CC together lol

:hf:

Crystal Chronicles was great, we were all in boarding school just when it came out. They played it in one of the other dorms, but they had an absolutely huge group of like twelve people so they had to share and manage two different save files and it sucked for them. In my dorm, it was just the four of us, so we actually got to finish it. Got all the best weapons and everything. No Ring of Life, though, because gently caress running that half-hour marsh for just a chance at the drop pool it was in.

Plus we were all upperclassmen so we had the seniority to say "hey no gently caress y'all, the time for watching reruns of Best of the 80s is past. It's the weekend, we're commandeering this TV." Tyranny feels great :allears:

And you know what? It was boarding school, we're all still bros. We're co-oping Grim Dawn right now :kimchi:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 10, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I've gotten together for CC once or twice, it wasn't that great. Maybe it was a personality thing.

Four Swords absolutely made those cables worth it though, it's a shame they don't do anything with the 3DS like these games.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CC was a staple of my like young teen all nighters at a buddy's house. Can't stand that game solo but with the right group of people it was a great experience.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The mini versions of the summons you get in FF14 look so stupid, it was such a huge disappointment for me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

baram. posted:

whats wrong with those graphics

~*high definition*~

Red Red Blue posted:

The mini versions of the summons you get in FF14 look so stupid, it was such a huge disappointment for me

Please don't make fun of Titan-egi, he looks tough but he's very sensitive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've been thinking about re-subbing to FFFXIV now that my PS4 has a halfway stable connection, but oh god it's been a year since I last touched it and I'm only like level 12 and I'll have no idea what I'm doing or why.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're only level 12 just start again that's like maybe a days casual play.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

The White Dragon posted:

Crystal Chronicles

All I wanted in my adolescent life was that game and enough of those stupid link cables to play with my mates. It always looked WAY more fun than it probably actually was. Bad or even mediocre co-op games are always way better than bad or mediocre single-player adventures.

Fister Roboto posted:

Summoner has gotten even better. It's no longer just "apply dots, spam filler spell, manage pet". They got a lot of cool new toys, but the highlight is what's basically an orbital ion cannon that you can fire every minute.

I recognize he's from FFVI from the background, but that's about it. My mind wants to say he's part of the Warring Triad?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is way more stupidly addictive than I thought it would be. I'm dreading doing the hard mode versions of some songs though.

Ultimates are where the real party's at, the only downside is that after you get used to them the other two difficulties feel really slow.

Also I think I've linked and said it before but I'll do it again because the boss theme in Alexander in XIV is probably peak Soken bossfight music when it comes to the transition from "What the hell is this" to "wait this is weirdly awesome."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cKy5Qk0QMM

So that you can sing along:

Lyrics posted:

(Intro)

Seeking the piece of reason,

Shaping a peaceless season,

Reason to keep believing,

Waking the beast who's sleeping.

(Instrumental)

(Verse 1)

I call this destiny,

Or caught in a trance,

And I march inside a kind of dream

No sign in advance. You see?

This motor coil we serve is taut like a spring,

Step back, two step, two step,

Two step, one two three(yeah!)

(Instrumental)

Our world's a fantasy no more than a test,

Ever feeding off the fallacy,

Creating this mess

(Deep down) inside this bleak machine,

With all of the rest

Break free, to praise, to praise electricity!

(Break)

Time turning up the volume,

Time turning on us always,

No time enough to wallow,

For turning back to where we began.

(Chorus)

Trying to set those tested,

fragments in one direction.

Celestial noise detected,

but maybe I'm unsuspected.

Static to give; to reason.

Turning to me for defense,

Transmissions begun, completed:

Setup to breach; to reset.

(Verse 2)

It was the destiny alone in a trance,

No escaping from this waking dream,

No hope for the best. (You see?)

The motor coil we serve is naught but a spring.

Unwind, too slow, too quick, too much to believe!

(Instrumental)

Your world's a fantasy you failed to test

Ever forging all new fallacies creating a mess

(Direct) into this bleak machine with all of the rest

Dizzy, dying, dying! Electricity!

(Break)

Falling back right into the system,

Falling back on all empty ears,

When falling back right out of the system

Means falling back right into disgrace

Yes, falling back right in with the system,

Is slipping, falling back to the end,

When falling back is better and simple,

(We're) falling back into pieces again!

(Chorus)

Sounds to be in rhythm

Memory wiped and beaten

Narrowly beat, defeated

Radicals flowing freer

Energy slowly seepin'

Suspending all disbelief in

Synergy with our being,

Synapses fire and breathin'.

(repeat)

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 10, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

SonicRulez posted:

All I wanted in my adolescent life was that game and enough of those stupid link cables to play with my mates. It always looked WAY more fun than it probably actually was. Bad or even mediocre co-op games are always way better than bad or mediocre single-player adventures.

I recognize he's from FFVI from the background, but that's about it. My mind wants to say he's part of the Warring Triad?

Yeah, Fiend/Sefirot. Eventually they will likely be adding Demon/Zurvan and Goddess/Sophia. I'm really looking forward to it, as a big FFVI fan.

Concerning Summoner, they don't allow you to summon the actual big bads, but as others have explained, you get small "egi" forms of Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda to sic on your enemies. Between 50 and 60, you gradually gain the knowledge of Bahamut and can summon his powers into your body using Dreadwyrm Trance, unlocking Summoner's current most powerful attacks. And, as a nice nod to Tritoch/Valigarmanda, one of their most useful spells is "Tri-Disaster," which puts 3 of Summoner's most useful debuffs on an enemy at one time.

They were considering allowing certain exceptional individuals on various servers to be able to summon the actual Primals themselves at some point, but as of yet they still have not implemented the idea. Their reasons at the time were that they wanted it to make sense with the plot, since summoning Primals in XIV is a big no-no, and because they also wanted things to be balanced. We haven't learned anything more about it in a year, so most people think they're just dropping the idea. It would probably be for the best since there would not be a many reasons to lug Ifrit around in the overworld unless you just wanted to overpower FATEs really fast or something.

e: Alex's boss music is so god drat good :allears:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kanfy posted:

Also I think I've linked and said it before but I'll do it again because the boss theme in Alexander in XIV is probably peak Soken bossfight music when it comes to the transition from "What the hell is this" to "wait this is weirdly awesome."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cKy5Qk0QMM

The second Alexander boss song is awesome as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTT7Y6KM00

Can't wait to hear the music in Alexander: Midas in 3.2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't wait to never step foot in Gordias again because it's poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheHeadSage posted:

The second Alexander boss song is awesome as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTT7Y6KM00

Can't wait to hear the music in Alexander: Midas in 3.2

It's a crime that we never got more FF14 music as Curtain Call DLC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't wait to never step foot in Gordias again because it's poo poo.

As a healer Gordias is fine except Manipulator because pubbies just love to run into me when Judgement is up and then bitch when they die because they eat it harder than I can possibly heal it.

gently caress pubbies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As a healer Gordias is fine except Manipulator because pubbies just love to run into me when Judgement is up and then bitch when they die because they eat it harder than I can possibly heal it.

gently caress pubbies.

In my case it's "my raid group was inexperienced and underprepared and never got past A1S and now I'm a bitter rear end in a top hat".

The best people are the ones that get Judgement and then run it into the melee crowd, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

In my case it's "my raid group was inexperienced and underprepared and never got past A1S and now I'm a bitter rear end in a top hat".

The best people are the ones that get Judgement and then run it into the melee crowd, though.

A single healer tear rolls down my Roe face, I know I can't esuna stupidity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

:hf:

Crystal Chronicles was great, we were all in boarding school just when it came out. They played it in one of the other dorms, but they had an absolutely huge group of like twelve people so they had to share and manage two different save files and it sucked for them. In my dorm, it was just the four of us, so we actually got to finish it. Got all the best weapons and everything. No Ring of Life, though, because gently caress running that half-hour marsh for just a chance at the drop pool it was in.

Plus we were all upperclassmen so we had the seniority to say "hey no gently caress y'all, the time for watching reruns of Best of the 80s is past. It's the weekend, we're commandeering this TV." Tyranny feels great :allears:

And you know what? It was boarding school, we're all still bros. We're co-oping Grim Dawn right now :kimchi:

Hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new CC with online coop. Like, come on.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh stop I really don't want to resub again, play it for a few days and get slightly bored and stop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just got to Feral Chaos in Dissidia Duodecim and I am not very happy. Who thought 59k hp was a good idea, especially when you can't do any BRV damage after 60 seconds? What's the pro strategy here? I use Onion Knight for basically everything because he's really fast and can combo into HP attacks very easily.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
:byodame: BURN EVERYTHING IN SIGHT

Seriously you're in superboss territory now as far as the game is concerned this shouldn't be surprising.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just got to Feral Chaos in Dissidia Duodecim and I am not very happy. Who thought 59k hp was a good idea, especially when you can't do any BRV damage after 60 seconds? What's the pro strategy here? I use Onion Knight for basically everything because he's really fast and can combo into HP attacks very easily.

IIRC, there are those stat variables (Stuff like "Enemy has greater brave {Value}>Player) that can be fiddled around with to make things slightly more bearable, or exploitable with the right set-up. Though I hasten to add, It's been a while since I've touched to the game. The other way (the long tedious way) is to have a mid-long range character spam HP attacks (Kuja's Ultima/Yuna's Megaflare/Garland's Cyclone & Blaze, etc) - basically whatever cheap HP move you can spam without being in range of F.Chaos to keep him dodging or hit him.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's a crime that we never got more FF14 music as Curtain Call DLC.

I'd love it if they did another round of DLC with songs from the last few FF11/14 expansions.