Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Ork of Fiction posted:

Waht the hell? Powerball is 1.3 billion dolars?!? Who the hell could afford to buy it at that price!!?

Donald Trump.
That Skrelli guy.
Sofia Coppola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Love the fact thousands of dumb Alabamans pour across the Tennessee border to find our schools, thanks ya dummies

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

goku recover the powerballs

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Retail Slave posted:

This right here.

I don't understand the whole appeal of letting people know and holding that press conference where you get the giant novelty check and letting the world know you won. In about 48 hours everyone you have ever met in your entire life will hit you up for money. I mean, sure, attention and news cameras are nice, but you're essentially just putting a target on yourself for the rest of your life.

First get a lawyer, then get a financial planner, never give power of attorney to anyone, don't tell anyone, and learn how to say "no" in case people do find out.

That'd be my plan. Too bad the smart ones never win eh?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How long do you have to turn it in?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Love the fact thousands of dumb Alabamans pour across the Tennessee border to find our schools, thanks ya dummies

They had to be good for something eventually?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I plan on supporting Trump if I win. THis election will be mega bought it'll be YOOOG

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

MiracleWhale posted:

goku recover the powerballs

They're called DRAGONBALLS, gently caress!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They're called DRAGONBALLS, gently caress!

in the original japanese they're called powerisu ballseru which, translated literally, means "powerballs"

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I bought mega millions instead because I dare to be different

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Ema Nymton posted:

mega millions

collect them all

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

That finding doing some quality work.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

would be p cool to win

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'd try to make the world more Star Trek-like. That's what I'd do if I won.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Accretionist posted:

I'd try to make the world more Star Trek-like. That's what I'd do if I won.

like more colored lights and jumpsuits

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'd like to think if I won the lottery it would be like Roseanne. You know, fighting terrorists on a train and getting hammered with the ladies from Absolutely Fabulous.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

How long do you have to turn it in?

Depends on the state I think. 3 months to 1 year?

That one guy who tried to cheat the system waited nearly a year.
http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2014/10-09-2014_DCI_SurveillanceVideoReleased.html

Video of him buying the ticket he knows will win:
https://vimeo.com/108469958

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

If I win I'm going to get a new bed because I don't remember the last time I slept through the night.

Really though I'd get something like this to live in:

I just like video games/movies and wrenching on my vehicles :)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I haven't played the lottery in years but decided to get a ticket since it's over a billion. I got three sets of numbers for $6. Can't lose!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought another one for Wednesday and I know I will win because I want to.
Not like everyone else who is just playing out of habit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seriously, though, I hope that either I win or only one person wins and it's some yokel from a town of 60 that goes insane and builds a solid gold farm full of meth sculptures and Bud Lite fountains.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

Schroeder91 posted:

If I win I'm going to get a new bed because I don't remember the last time I slept through the night.

Really though I'd get something like this to live in:

I just like video games/movies and wrenching on my vehicles :)

This sounds good but lol I clear out a lot of places where some guy had the bright idea to combine his house with his mechanic's lair/woodworking garage and I guess all I can say is that we separate our living spaces and our garages for a reason. Grease and filth will seep into everything you own. All fabric will be just one large grease stain.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Inzombiac posted:

Seriously, though, I hope that either I win or only one person wins and it's some yokel from a town of 60 that goes insane and builds a solid gold farm full of meth sculptures and Bud Lite fountains.

What if that militia that took over that federal building wins as a pool. I would not envy being that tax collector.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I would just get a small house that was really really nice if I won the powerball. I never understood why you would want to live in a mansion. Like, I'd have a small house built with three bedrooms tops, but made out of the absolute best materials possible and filled with amazingly good furniture, a beast gaming PC, great TV/computer monitor etc. I'd have Google Fiber and poo poo like that too. This probably wouldn't even cost me a few million.

Honestly I'd probably end up giving away a ton of the money to charities and stuff. I wouldn't know what to do with it after buying everything that would make me happy using less than ten million.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MrSmokes posted:

I would just get a small house that was really really nice if I won the powerball. I never understood why you would want to live in a mansion. Like, I'd have a small house built with three bedrooms tops, but made out of the absolute best materials possible and filled with amazingly good furniture, a beast gaming PC, great TV/computer monitor etc. I'd have Google Fiber and poo poo like that too. This probably wouldn't even cost me a few million.

Honestly I'd probably end up giving away a ton of the money to charities and stuff. I wouldn't know what to do with it after buying everything that would make me happy using less than ten million.

I think a big part of it is people from going, "richest middle class person around," to, "poorest upper class person around," and feeling the need to buy bigger and bigger poo poo.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Rodnik posted:

This sounds good but lol I clear out a lot of places where some guy had the bright idea to combine his house with his mechanic's lair/woodworking garage and I guess all I can say is that we separate our living spaces and our garages for a reason. Grease and filth will seep into everything you own. All fabric will be just one large grease stain.

You make a good point! Good thing I'm poor as poo poo so I don't have this issue.

I'm currently running that powerball simulator (which doesn't have the right odds) and after 1800 years, I've won $31k and am only -$342k in the hole!

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 11, 2016

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I speculate what I'd do if I won but I have no idea what I'd do if I won TBQH. :shrug:

It'd be a good problem to have though.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Kuato posted:

I speculate what I'd do if I won but I have no idea what I'd do if I won TBQH. :shrug:

It'd be a good problem to have though.

Prepare to give a % of your money to a charity so you can claim it during tax season.

Invest in short term low risk investments, maybe start a business.

Travel to cool places, buy a nice house.

Just don't get into the trap of thinking you need to spend money like a celebrity.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Pursue whatever hobby makes you happy :) Whether it be woodworking or snorting blow off a hooker, you do you!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The jackpot will be won by some racist 94 year old lady who will leave it all to some evangelical mega church in her will.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The jackpot will be won by some racist 94 year old lady who will leave it all to some evangelical mega church in her will.

Probably :(

For once I hope that this thing is won by some smart young person with their whole life ahead of them. But smart young people usually don't play the lottery.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

MrSmokes posted:

Probably :(

For once I hope that this thing is won by some smart young person with their whole life ahead of them. But smart young people usually don't play the lottery.

That's usually what causes most of the 'Winning the Lottery ruined my life stories'. Some 25 year old wins 10 million on the lottery, takes a dump on their boss's desk, then parties like a rock star for several years until they end up in bankruptcy court.

If you're willing to live somewhat modestly you can stretch out 10 Million dollars over 60 years as long as you're willing to keep down on the extravagant expenses. And by living modestly, I mean you have to barely get by on about $160K per year, that's if you're only living off the principle.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 11, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna win the powerball.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i'm gonna run right into the end zone and spike that loving powerball

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I might buy the rights to the Dreamcast name from Sega and support a kickstarter to churn out a POS android-based Dreamcast 2 just to shut everyone up about that.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
the best lotto winner ever was this goony bastard:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-04-03/news/bs-ae-bunky-lottery-20120402_1_lottery-winner-ellwood-bunky-bartlett-westminster

quote:

A Tarot card might have foretold that Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett would win $32.6 million in the 2007 lottery.

Unfortunately, the spirit world provided no omens that might have helped the 45-year-old practicing Wiccan better manage his good fortune.

apparently sinking your jackpot into a wiccan book store and a record label and developing your own mmo are all inadvisable.

behold the glory

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm going to buy the Saints from Tom Benson and install the TFF hivemind as the GM.

Multiple Super Bowls, here we come.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Betting it all on the Cubs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think another problem when you try to start a business or something with lottery winnings and the like, you have to deal with people being very confrontational with it because, "Well, YOU won the lottery, why are YOU charging ME so much for these goods and services?! YOU can afford to be cheaper!" or "That guy is putting legit, hardworking business owners out of work because he's got lottery winnings. He doesn't NEED to run a business to support himself!"

Also: If I win, I will request to Donald Trump that he makes me his running mate as we'd both the be ultimate government outsiders: Rich guys with a lot of money and not beholden to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think another problem when you try to start a business or something with lottery winnings and the like, you have to deal with people being very confrontational with it because, "Well, YOU won the lottery, why are YOU charging ME so much for these goods and services?! YOU can afford to be cheaper!" or "That guy is putting legit, hardworking business owners out of work because he's got lottery winnings. He doesn't NEED to run a business to support himself!"

Also: If I win, I will request to Donald Trump that he makes me his running mate as we'd both the be ultimate government outsiders: Rich guys with a lot of money and not beholden to anyone.

Instead of making a business for poors make a "Luxury Premium" business.

Rich person EBay for example.

• Locked thread