Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No, and thank loving god for it. That's one of the worst aspects of modern game design. "Well, let's assume the player is an idiot and can't read or navigate."

Yeah, you just have to find the red quest area circles on the map and navigate there yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No, and thank loving god for it. That's one of the worst aspects of modern game design. "Well, let's assume the player is an idiot and can't read or navigate."

One of the big things I really appreciate about FFXIV is not feeling like I'm being hand-held through a theme park.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I wish there more quests like the Greatest Story Never Told and the Matoya's Cave quests. I really liked them.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Question, is there a way to display an arrow or Bat Signal or something to point me towards quests I specifically want to follow? I know you can view them on the map, but that's not as useful as it might seem when you're not very good at things. It'd be great if I could just have a little arrow around my character that points in the way I want to go.

If you're getting lost because you've picked up a bunch of quests, you can select up to 5 specific quests in your journal/quest log and these are the 5 that will display on your maps. I remember getting pretty lost because I'd try to do a specific quest but, because it wasn't one of the five displayed, it was much harder to find.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Grim Up North posted:

I wish there more quests like the Greatest Story Never Told and the Matoya's Cave quests. I really liked them.

I know that it's not really feasible, but I wish this sort of thing is something you should get every few quests; objectives that aren't just go to x point and use y item, or talk to several npcs and fight various levels of mobs.

It's rarely a good idea to invoke what WoW does as a comparison, or suggest that xiv imitates, but I think quest design is one area where xiv definitely needs to take some ideas from it's peers. As terrible as the latest expansion was for wow, the questing was probably the best it's ever been, with a lot of variety and volume to the quest lines. I think it would go a long way for the health of the game to break away from the "template quest" style they have.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bleuraindrops posted:

If you're getting lost because you've picked up a bunch of quests, you can select up to 5 specific quests in your journal/quest log and these are the 5 that will display on your maps. I remember getting pretty lost because I'd try to do a specific quest but, because it wasn't one of the five displayed, it was much harder to find.

Although, so far through 44, the only place in the game I got more quests than could display was in the Highlands.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Although, so far through 44, the only place in the game I got more quests than could display was in the Highlands.

Accept ALL of the quests!! </meme>

For real though. I've had some difficulty convincing newbies to Just Do It. Your later classes will level quickly between low level bonuses like the Helm of Light and the Armoury Bonus.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's more that the mini map is tiny and I have a tough time seeing the little arrows to point me in the right direction. I also hate scrolling through maps.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is a ridiculous sentiment, because nothing is lost by having this as a feature as long as you can turn it off. That way if you wanna navigate, you can. And if you just want to go on stabby adventures, you don't have to dick around with too many menus.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Accept ALL of the quests!! </meme>

For real though. I've had some difficulty convincing newbies to Just Do It. Your later classes will level quickly between low level bonuses like the Helm of Light and the Armoury Bonus.
Yeah, I'm flying through quests getting Dragoon to 50 or 60 or whatever, and I was wondering how leveling will work out with follow up classes/jobs.

Just slapping mobs around without something like a quest giving me the illusion of a point to it will bore me to death in about five minutes because I am an idiot baby.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I'd rather quest point me in the direction, so I can get on with things, rather that have to waste time searching.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah, I'm flying through quests getting Dragoon to 50 or 60 or whatever, and I was wondering how leveling will work out with follow up classes/jobs.

Just slapping mobs around without something like a quest giving me the illusion of a point to it will bore me to death in about five minutes because I am an idiot baby.

The armory bonus applies to kills, FATEs and leves. When FATEs and dungeon roulettes get stale, do some levequests.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

Challenge log, FATEs, roulettes, hunts, etc

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Suitaru posted:

The armory bonus applies to kills, FATEs and leves. When FATEs and dungeon roulettes get stale, do some levequests.
That's great news for my idiot baby brain.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

SonicRulez posted:

It's more that the mini map is tiny and I have a tough time seeing the little arrows to point me in the right direction. I also hate scrolling through maps.

If you go into the HUD setup you can increase the size of your minimap (or any other UI element) by selecting it and pressing ctrl home.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The last thing this game needs is more people who can't read at max level.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what's the popular voice client for when doing goon raids/parties?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

what's the popular voice client for when doing goon raids/parties?

Mumble. Connection info is on ffgoons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ActionZero posted:

If you go into the HUD setup you can increase the size of your minimap (or any other UI element) by selecting it and pressing ctrl home.

Thank you. I think I'm gonna pick up a solid subscription to this game. I've only been playing it for a couple days, but it's a nice timesink. It feels like a big game as well. I've been following the story quest line for a few hours now and I have to remind myself that I should be running around other areas looking for sidequests and quests from the guild and all that. It's fun being a Rogue.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SonicRulez posted:

Thank you. I think I'm gonna pick up a solid subscription to this game. I've only been playing it for a couple days, but it's a nice timesink. It feels like a big game as well. I've been following the story quest line for a few hours now and I have to remind myself that I should be running around other areas looking for sidequests and quests from the guild and all that. It's fun being a Rogue.

You did pick up an RAF code from the thread in PGS, right? If you're going to subscribe, you'll get some nice bonuses from that. Don't wait until after you sub and it's too late!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ambaire posted:

You did pick up an RAF code from the thread in PGS, right? If you're going to subscribe, you'll get some nice bonuses from that. Don't wait until after you sub and it's too late!

Didn't even know about this. Well I bought the game and that gave me 30 days. I'm on PS4. To be honest I'm not even positive on how the subscription works. I think I gotta buy one of those gift card type things. Is it too late?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Didn't even know about this. Well I bought the game and that gave me 30 days. I'm on PS4. To be honest I'm not even positive on how the subscription works. I think I gotta buy one of those gift card type things. Is it too late?

You can apply a recruitment code as long as you have not purchased any sub time past the 30 days that comes with the game.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

You can set it up to auto pay from a credit card on the Mog Station.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Filthy Haiku posted:

I know that it's not really feasible, but I wish this sort of thing is something you should get every few quests; objectives that aren't just go to x point and use y item, or talk to several npcs and fight various levels of mobs.

It's rarely a good idea to invoke what WoW does as a comparison, or suggest that xiv imitates, but I think quest design is one area where xiv definitely needs to take some ideas from it's peers. As terrible as the latest expansion was for wow, the questing was probably the best it's ever been, with a lot of variety and volume to the quest lines. I think it would go a long way for the health of the game to break away from the "template quest" style they have.

Out of curiousity, how was the latest expansion terrible? I ask as someone who hasn't played since the end of WotLK.

WoW is one of those games I get the itch to go back to every now and again (classes have variety, the gathering/crafting system is much simpler) but I don't think I could honestly go through the trouble of doing it all over again especially considering the timesink it can be.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ApplesandOranges posted:

Out of curiousity, how was the latest expansion terrible? I ask as someone who hasn't played since the end of WotLK.

WoW is one of those games I get the itch to go back to every now and again (classes have variety, the gathering/crafting system is much simpler) but I don't think I could honestly go through the trouble of doing it all over again especially considering the timesink it can be.

You hit a point that is "raid or gently caress off" and you really see the lack of content that wasn't designed for 10+ people. They've done a little to make it better with Mythic 5mans and Timewalking but compared to any other expansion WoW has had it's really lacking.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Lant posted:

You hit a point that is "raid or gently caress off" and you really see the lack of content that wasn't designed for 10+ people. They've done a little to make it better with Mythic 5mans and Timewalking but compared to any other expansion WoW has had it's really lacking.

Also, it's been 9 months since the last update, and 7 more until the expansion. And for those 9 months, the top raid boss has been ... Archimonde.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
And also it was coming off from another 12+ months with no updates between Siege of Orgrimmar and Warlords of Draenor, and then WoD basically only had one major patch (since 6.1 had some fun features and quality of life stuff but no new raids or dungeons or zones or anything, really) before entering hibernation again. One thing I really appreciate about FF14 is that content patches with new dungeons and quests and stuff come out every few months, like clockwork-- and even between 2.55 and the expansion it was just a few more months than usual on either side of 3.0. Instead of, you know, more than a year.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Stupid question, but the community for this game is still thriving, right? I tried it for about a month on my PS4 last year and it was on wireless, so the results of that were predictable. Now I'm finally wired up and wondering if it's be worth diving back in fresh.

Also, I was a Lancer. Please don't judge.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Depends which server you're on (be on Excalibur) but yes, the population is pretty healthy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mostly I just want to piss around a big lore-heavy anime world again after Xenoblade X broke my heart so badly. I'll look into it.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

From 50DR:

quote:

[11:55 p.m.](Spiced Rum) uhh, takashi, got a question
[11:56 p.m.](Spiced Rum) no mudras??
[11:56 p.m.](Takashi Kazmararo) Nope
[11:56 p.m.](Spiced Rum) like, not using or haven't unlocked?
[11:57 p.m.](Takashi Kazmararo) I dnt use it
[11:57 p.m.](Spiced Rum) any reason why?
[11:57 p.m.](Takashi Kazmararo) No special reason
[11:58 p.m.](Spiced Rum) you know huton's a flat ability speed increase?
[11:59 p.m.](Takashi Kazmararo) I know
[11:59 p.m.](Spiced Rum) but uhhh, choose not to use it?
[12:00 a.m.](Takashi Kazmararo) I use it time to time but thats it
:suicide:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I did an expert roulette with a dragoon that only did True Thrust, Vorpal Thrust, Full Thrust. There were a couple Ring of Thorns, but they were probably accidental.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reminds me of the WHM who kept using Holy instead of Stone/Aero because 'Holy is prettier'.

Nevermind the fact that she was standing nowhere near the mobs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Skill glamour, the doublesecret endgame

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just a reminder that kicking someone for being bad is not an abuse of the votekick system.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
So Exodus's Idylshire got a little bored:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're looking for a medium house on excal get online now, one released and is available for 37.5 million at mist 8,60

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a good guide to explain how mining at 51+ works? This collectable and scrip stuff, I mean. I'm just getting into gathering for the first time :v:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Check http://www.ffxivguild.com/

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

So Exodus's Idylshire got a little bored:

LMFAOOO!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon