Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Also for malachai you'll never dodge everything so eat the attacks you know you can tank/flask through rather than trying to dodge everything and getting backed into a corner before dying. It becomes a lot easier then.
edit: I usually make pretty poo poo characters and I rarely ever die more than once despite running him on merc around mid-late 60s. I am also not a particularly careful player.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even though I have force move bound to left click I seem to do some kind of epic blunder move where I accidentally get stuck against an add and swerve into a landmine to path around it, which stuns me and makes me get stuck in his TV static portal

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Using just a 4L, what are my options for Mjolnir single target besides meatballs? Would static strike with conc effect work out better?

I suppose if it comes down to it, I could always just swap in a discharge gem for map bosses and a banquet.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Molten Strike is your best single target by far, there is nothing else even close. You can use Lightning Strike for clearing trash if you want, it works a lot better there. Remember you are always going for most hits on the monster, the attack damage does not matter at all, that's why Molten Strike is linked to GMP.

Not sure what your opposition to Discharge + Romira's for normal use is, there's a reason every Mjolner build swapped to it. Even rares will take forever if you get unlucky with Arc and all the trash dies way before the rare does.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Eh, I was trying to avoid using it because I'm not going to run a Volls and I already have a high 80s fakener this league.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
triple storm call on switch might be funny. unlike CoC, you can triple cast all of them

you can't usefully triple cast discharge sadly, the usefulness of exploding a single power charge is dubious

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

For the love of god unbind attack from left click and bind it to force move.

I find space bar for moving much more comfortable. But that's also because it was the key bind for diablo 3 force to move.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Fun note for Malachai's mines, they go off if you summon a totem or throw a trap on top of them. You can clear them out safely that way.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Been away from this game for two years - glad to see that GGG is still expanding the game with fresh ideas. I'm itching to jump back in before Ascendency. Any recommendations on a fun melee build (mostly did maurauder/templar in the past)? From the OP, the Reave build looks neat; any other skills I should consider building my character around?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Cyclone and Ice Crash are both great melee skills. Frost Blades is decent for leveling but not as popular end game, though not terrible by any means. Lightning Strike is playable now, as it gets more projectiles starting at level 1 and gains more as the gem levels. I would advise trying out as many different skills as you can and seeing how each one feels to you.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
Looking for passive skills who reduce the reserved mana, only found the 14% in Sovereignity & Co.
Am I missing something?

Edit: Also, can Blasphemy power two curses for the Price (mana reduction) of one?

Korwin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 9, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Oro's is such a cool weapon, warning not seizure safe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0EA33jE9Y

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Korwin posted:

Looking for passive skills who reduce the reserved mana, only found the 14% in Sovereignity & Co.
Am I missing something?

Edit: Also, can Blasphemy power two curses for the Price (mana reduction) of one?

Blasphemy can power multiple curses, but each curse costs 35%

You can get 14% from the Sovereignty hub, 4% on the way to Leadership near Scion, 4% from Champion of the Cause in Duelist south, 12% from the Charisma cluster between Shadow and Ranger, and 4% on the way to Influence between Shadow and Witch. Generally speaking most builds can get maybe one of these, unless you are specifically focused on auras.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Real Foogla posted:

warning not seizure safe

It used to move your screen instantly with every flicker :monocle: It was horrible.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Eh, I was trying to avoid using it because I'm not going to run a Volls and I already have a high 80s fakener this league.

I think I allready told you this ingame, but Ive tested everything and there's simply nothing that can compare to meatballs for reliable procs. I hate it too, but its the only real option.

ronya posted:

triple storm call on switch might be funny. unlike CoC, you can triple cast all of them

you can't usefully triple cast discharge sadly, the usefulness of exploding a single power charge is dubious

I've played around with storm call/spark in the mjolner, and the dps is garbage. Its either arc or discharge, really. Now that I think about I havent tested shock nova, so I cant rule that out yet.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

The Real Foogla posted:

Oro's is such a cool weapon, warning not seizure safe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0EA33jE9Y

Is there a link to the build somewhere? That looks like it might be fun to play.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Played this a bit a long while ago, decided to pick it up again about a week ago.

Been having some fun as a ranger that just spams shrapnel shot killing everything in sight up to act 4, also managed to cap lightning resistance without noticing at some point.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Maddot_66 posted:

Is there a link to the build somewhere? That looks like it might be fun to play.

Dunno if any of these are that exact build, but here's some Oro's builds:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1372422
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1385541

I couldn't find the thread for it again, but here's a blood magic one that also takes advantage of Templar elemental nodes plus Fireborn to get 113% increased fire damage from the 2-hander sections below duelist:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...g8y3Pv4K2L2DXw=

I made this one after they announced they were buffing mana gain per level and flattening melee skill costs, but haven't had a chance to try it yet:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...yFVBWbcPQd1wKY=

Here's a duelist focused on getting max Frenzy charges from the skill tree. My experience is that you'd need to focus a bunch of gear/skill gem slots on ignite chance to actually ever build up six frenzy charges. But if you have all the right uniques it would go real fast:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...EYyCW87v9VTu0Se

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Hey guys..

I bet this has been asked a bunch of times but what do you think is a good 4L starting league farming character?

I used that dual flame totem marauder like a year ago and it worked well but lacked end game DPS. Right now restarting and trying to figure out what the gently caress has changed and what is a good 4L build now.. never seen reckoning, blade fall, blasphemy.... all those fun things.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Poison bladefall trap (with poison bear trap for single target) is outstanding. Just start shadow and get all the good trap damage nodes you can.

It can run pretty much any map mod, and it's super mobile. Get yourself the unique trap boots early on (they're cheap) and you'll breeze through the acts with an early five-link.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Bladefall by itself is also pretty potent, lots of multipliers. Stacking Added Fire, Hatred and Herald of Ash as a spellcaster feels weird but works.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Also requesting a guild invite for drizzitdurden

About to run my first map. Very excite.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Frogmanv2 posted:

Also requesting a guild invite for drizzitdurden

About to run my first map. Very excite.

I'm not sure if that name is awful or hilarious

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Has anybody else been having horrible lag issues all weekend? I can play maybe one or two areas without major issues, but then I start running into issues where everything freezes except some particle effects and environmental animations for 30 seconds or more, then plays everything out at double speed (generally without any of my inputs, so if an enemy comes on screen, I just loving die). So the game is literally unplayable. Anybody know what could be causing this? I'm not noticing connection problems with anything else on my computer, so I have no idea what's causing it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gibbo posted:

I'm not sure if that name is awful or hilarious

Would it make it better or worse if I was playing a TS ranger?

(I was aiming for awful, but the only comment I have had on it so far was someone saying RA Salvatore does good books)

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Has anybody else been having horrible lag issues all weekend? I can play maybe one or two areas without major issues, but then I start running into issues where everything freezes except some particle effects and environmental animations for 30 seconds or more, then plays everything out at double speed (generally without any of my inputs, so if an enemy comes on screen, I just loving die). So the game is literally unplayable. Anybody know what could be causing this? I'm not noticing connection problems with anything else on my computer, so I have no idea what's causing it.

At the login screen go to the options menu and in the UI tab, change the networking mode from "auto" which it is on by default to predictive and see if that helps any. If you're on auto, it checks your connection every time you change zones to see if lockstep or predictive mode would work better, but if it sets it to lockstep and then your connection is flakey or unstable at all, even if it isn't outright disconnected, weird poo poo can start happening.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Frogmanv2 posted:

Would it make it better or worse if I was playing a TS ranger?

(I was aiming for awful, but the only comment I have had on it so far was someone saying RA Salvatore does good books)

What? Salvatore is like.. What... Was the person that complemented you an angsty sixteen year old?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

Bladefall by itself is also pretty potent, lots of multipliers. Stacking Added Fire, Hatred and Herald of Ash as a spellcaster feels weird but works.

Poison bladefall trap is exceptionally good specifically because of how it exploits trap damage modifiers. The initial hit is damage from a trap, so it is affected by trap modifiers. The poison damage over time is then based on that initial hit, but is still considered trap damage, so it is affected by those modifiers again. Not only do a lot of trap nodes hold significant amounts of increased damage, but there are multiplicative sources of more damage in the trap and mine damage support gem, as well as the vulnerability curse. Shadows also just get a good handful of starting physical/chaos nodes that cover everything, and even double-dip if you have Ming's Heart or physical > chaos conversion.

When you start mapping, you get to just ignore the existence of map mods like reflect and elemental equilibrium, and blood magic doesn't have a significant affect on your performance.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gibbo posted:

What? Salvatore is like.. What... Was the person that complemented you an angsty sixteen year old?

Tbh I didn't try and find out. I was certainly an angsty 16 year old when I was reading Salvatore.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Another post to support Bladefall poison trapping, since I don't know why more people don't trap especially after the 2.0 buffs. This league was the first time I tried Atziri and I was able to kill her on my first try with my trapper who only has 10c worth of gear.

Pros:
-Cheap to start, only needs Deerstalkers (1c unique)
-You can level with it starting when you get Bladefall to see if you like the style. None of this leveling to maps using flame totem only to find out you hate your character when you switch over. You link Bladefall+Multitrap+Trap and Mine damage at level 28 into your Deerstalker, and add Poison at lv31 and away you go.
-Going crit is much easier now for trappers because of the Blast Cascade node and buff to Jaws of Agony unique. Between those two, I can maintain all my power charges no problem. You can also pick up spell related crit passives (yum Doom Cast) because Bladefall is a spell.
-Related to crit, you don't care about reflect at all because your traps take the reflect damage instead of you
-You can semi off screen dangerous enemies by laying down traps then luring them to you.

Cons:
-Since you only have one trap skill, as opposed to tri-elemental trappers, you rely on one-shotting mobs so you don't have to wait for trap cooldowns. This means that it's not that great for parties with more than two members without sick nasty gear.
-You're pretty squishy, the combination of going crit + Shadow start means I only have about +150% HP at 105 points.
-Mana intensive, especially if you go full retard and use Voidbringers like I do, which means you have to occasionally use pots.

Gear (character is OneTrapMann)
Passive tree

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Anyone have a decent guide for ancestral bond bladefall totems? it can just be gear/bandits/gems/general idea kinda thing

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Can I get a guild invite on DonKeiPaunch?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Is there any decent way to get to level 67 without a build. I can't use Oreos till then but I'm having trouble because my frost blades just isn't cutting it anymore. Level 60 act 4 merciless

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
elemental spectral throw with a Terminus Est worked for me way back when

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What can I do other than cyclone for a cheap melee build? Is ice crash fun?

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Is there any decent way to get to level 67 without a build. I can't use Oreos till then but I'm having trouble because my frost blades just isn't cutting it anymore. Level 60 act 4 merciless

When you say "without a build" I assume you mean without all your endgame items and skills. Post your character so we can have a look and provide some suggestions to help the leveling process.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bob NewSCART posted:

What can I do other than cyclone for a cheap melee build? Is ice crash fun?

Ice Crash is a lot of fun, there's Infernal Blow which requires absolutely nothing but the strongest 2her you can find (just avoid the weapon-specific damage nodes unless you have like 2-3c to buy a decent rare axe or mace to hang on to for a while), Reave is a lot of fun for a squishier speedy build and requires only a choice of cheap-as-poo poo offhands. Reave is also sthe first melee build I actually enjoyed, since I can't stand having to click-target every mob.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Cerepol posted:

I'm pretty certain you don't start getting experience penalties from an area until you're 8 levels over leveled for an area. For mine, I'd go and grind at either the Fellshrine Ruins in act 2 (also level 60 for chaos recipe, which is why I favour it over act 1 zones) or the Docks in acts 3. There may also be a leveling group in the Docks you can join from the party board if you want.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
It's 6 levels above/under the area. At least, that's what LiftingNerdBro says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's 3 plus (your level / 16), rounded down. Though you can be a level or two outside of it and still get like 90% xp.

• Locked thread