Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Has anybody else been having horrible lag issues all weekend? I can play maybe one or two areas without major issues, but then I start running into issues where everything freezes except some particle effects and environmental animations for 30 seconds or more, then plays everything out at double speed (generally without any of my inputs, so if an enemy comes on screen, I just loving die). So the game is literally unplayable. Anybody know what could be causing this? I'm not noticing connection problems with anything else on my computer, so I have no idea what's causing it.

were you running maps where monsters get charges? because that's what happened to me yesterday, everything was smooth until I ran a random zana where everything got all charges and stuff completely went laggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

http://pathofexilebuilds.com/exppenaltycalc.php

Anytime you want to actually know your xp in a zone, just google "poe xp calc" and this will be your top hit. It's fairly useful in the early ladder race when you want a number on when to move up a map tier (I usually try to stay above 90% xp)

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Here's a build I wanted to run by you guys, after getting my first HC character killed due to the fact that I had no idea that the Act 2 boss could one-shot you from full HP even with a granite flask on, I was wondering if this would be viable.

It's a Molten Strike build like before with Iron Grip and Point Blank, but this time I planned to use mace + shield instead of dual wielding, and maxed out on defensive passives. Since Molten Strike and Enduring Cry are the only mana-using skills I'm going to be using, would the 16% reduced mana reserved from the Sovereignty and Champion of the Cause trees be enough to use those two abilities while running Determination and Grace, with Grace being converted to even more armor via Iron Reflexes? This has something like 220% increased life and 400% increased armor before the auras are activated.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xequecal posted:

Here's a build I wanted to run by you guys, after getting my first HC character killed due to the fact that I had no idea that the Act 2 boss could one-shot you from full HP even with a granite flask on

Don't stand in poo poo, especially when it's massively telegraphed.

It doesn't matter how much life you stack, if you're going to ignore boss mechanics you're eventually going to die to something that was probably totally avoidable.

I'm at work, so I can't actually look over your tree.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
also, it doesn't do you any good to slam the flask once the windup animation has started; your resistances are taken from the beginning of the windup

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xequecal posted:

It's a Molten Strike build like before with Iron Grip and Point Blank, but this time I planned to use mace + shield instead of dual wielding, and maxed out on defensive passives.

this seems like a nice bosskiller, but how fast are you clearing packs (molten strike has a tiny aoe)? also the vast amount of time you wont have one or the other side of your branch, I personally only plan out to level 70 to see if a build is mapworthy

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I wish I wasn't too lazy to respec my current character. I really want to try a life/es claw character that uses ghost reaver to maintain es and implicit life gain on hit for hp. I'd even have a great reason to use Coruscating Elixir! But that sure is a lot effort.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ronya posted:

also, it doesn't do you any good to slam the flask once the windup animation has started; your resistances are taken from the beginning of the windup

how are you supposed to anticipate when the hit is coming amongst the other attacks that can happen? you only get like 5 or so seconds a charge right?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Oh, the slam attack is telegraphed like 5 seconds in advance. I just did all of Act 1 and 2 with literally never going below 90% and didn't realize it was suddenly going to go to one-shotting.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009
Can I get an invite to the guild on CytocCaster?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I'm pc-less in Denmark till Friday so hopefully someone else will get you an invite.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Budgie posted:

I'm pc-less in Denmark till Friday so hopefully someone else will get you an invite.

Not a problem, there's no real rush; I've spent the whole league playing in a guild by myself, because the guys I used to play with have moved on to other games.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I could still use an invite too.
GerdCoCyc

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't think there's anything wrong with dying and learning about the oneshots. A lot of bosses have them and they're all very choreographed. You will see more of them in the future with more content expansions. For reference:

-Brutus ground slam (most characters can survive Brutus in A1 at the point they reach him in all 3 difficulties, but the map one can easily oneshot you when you first reach lvl 68 maps)
-Vaal ground slam
-Kole ground slam
-Dominus Touch of God
-Voll ground slam
-The Burning Man death explosion
-Malachai dive under the ground and reemerge explosion (this one is actually not very obvious that it's a oneshot explosion move when you first see it)
-Atziri double Flameblast
-One of the Redblade bosses fire explosion (you will probably never see this because of Warbands no longer normally spawning)
-Primordius ground slam (giant bear that shoots fireballs, one of the t3 talisman bosses)

These all have long windups and no matter how tanky you are you shouldn't expect to survive them. Just learn the windup animations and dodge. You might be able to survive some of these in normal content with a really tanky character but you shouldn't expect to just tank them and the map versions of the bosses will not be tankable. There's also probably plenty more I missed, oneshots with long windups are just a thing the game expects you to adapt to.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So is there a "best" way to level up Masters? I'm trying to get Elreon and Haku to level 7 but their dailies give a completely pathetic little sliver of exp. Didn't they nerf something with farming master exp quickly when the master-crafted bow situation happened?

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Budgie posted:

I got it. Remember everyone that we're doing a purge on the 17th so put ASSENDENCY into your friend status.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So is there a "best" way to level up Masters? I'm trying to get Elreon and Haku to level 7 but their dailies give a completely pathetic little sliver of exp. Didn't they nerf something with farming master exp quickly when the master-crafted bow situation happened?

Join global 820 and do rotations. You share your daily with 5 other people on the same level as you who also share their daily.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Here's a preview of a new skill coming in ascendancy called earthquake. Looks like an iteration on ice crash where they wanted to make a slow hitting, powerful skill, but didn't want to make attack speed the best thing to use with it.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Bob NewSCART posted:

What can I do other than cyclone for a cheap melee build? Is ice crash fun?

Strap on an abyssus for instant fun on almost any melee build. The gigantic crits are really satisfying and it lets you pull good dps even with lovely gear. It's perfectly viable in hardcore if you play smart and carry some granite flasks because you're extremely mobile and stunlock or outright kill most everything before it can be too threatening.

I've done variations on it past hardcore leagues but my current build at 85 my passive tree looks like this and it's probably the most fun I've had on a melee character. It's a very general build that can use pretty much any skill setup interchangeably. I personally found that I like melee splash-double strike over reave or ice crash or anything else I've come up with. It's a little worse for giant groups but much better for bosses and you don't have to worry about elemental damage loving up your leech or effective dps. My setup leaves room for a 4l vaal double strike, and with both me and my buddy whacking on a single target most map bosses disappear almost instantly.

With decent but not incredible gear (probably 1.5ex in total mostly on the weapon) I'm tearing through tier 7-8 maps without sweating any mods except phys reflect and even that's been manageable. I can post a video if anybody cares.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lol are there seriously only 3 gems that work with dualwielding?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
What's the best guide/build for Fakener?

A Voll's dropped for me and I've always wanted to try it out.

HC BTW.

moush fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 12, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah and only like 6 work for unarmed. They're the two most unloved.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dis astranagant posted:

There's only three simultaneous attack ones yeah, but the reason you dual wield is the 10% more attack speed and 20% more damage, so pretty much every melee skill works with that in mind. The base damage of Dual Strike for example is 170%, which is alright but nothing special.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

J posted:

Here's a preview of a new skill coming in ascendancy called earthquake. Looks like an iteration on ice crash where they wanted to make a slow hitting, powerful skill, but didn't want to make attack speed the best thing to use with it.

Take ice crash crit builds, apply this.

I wonder how big the base aoe will end up at release

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2016

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Any chance I could get a guild invite on rosscobrit?

Just hit 50 on my templar in time to realise that my skill tree is a hot mess and restart on a ranger. Good times though, no complaints!

RossCo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 12, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

J posted:

The other thing to take away from this:

quote:

The easiest way to do this is with the Less Duration support gem, which will soon also grant More Damage to duration skills.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

quote:

The easiest way to do this is with the Less Duration support gem, which will soon also grant More Damage to duration skills.

That would work on Static Strike too right? Could be handy for leveling.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

RossCo posted:

Just hit 50 on my templar in time to realise that my skill tree is a hot mess and restart on a ranger. Good times though, no complaints!

Thoroughly recommend the TS ranger in the first post, neversink (?). The guide is very in depth and you don't need exalts worth of gear. I'm just getting into maps now and having a blast. I did splash out on a good bow though.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Haven't played since just after Forsaken Masters launched. Just made a Shadow and am shooting for that poison trapper posted a page or two ago. Didn't have much time to play tonight but someone in IRC said that the guild may be full. I hope next time I play there will be room for me to join!

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

RossCo posted:

The specified character does not exist.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Haven't played since just after Forsaken Masters launched. Just made a Shadow and am shooting for that poison trapper posted a page or two ago. Didn't have much time to play tonight but someone in IRC said that the guild may be full. I hope next time I play there will be room for me to join!

Guild has 5 spots left, and we're doing a purge on the 17th, so there will definitely be room then.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Katasi posted:

The specified character does not exist.

My mistake, apologies, I thought it was based on account name not character. Character name is: Sproinks

And funny you should mention the Neversink ranger guide, by complete chance I've been following that tonight and having a blast. I'll probably go back to the Templar and fix it at some point, it's not *that* broken. Just feel like a few early misteps will bother me with him :)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If you have the cash, splash out for the unique bow, silverbranch. It lasted me till mid 30s, when I found a deaths harp, which lasted me till early 60s.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I can't imagine Silverbranch lasted that long and actually wasn't infuriatingly slow. I can never get out of act 1 using it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Storm cloud is insanely good for levelling, try that too.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FYI Shrapnel Shot and Siege Ballista have improved early game for Ranger immensely. If you're trying to use Split Arrow or Rain of Arrows or Frost Shot before getting Tornado Shot you really should try to use those instead.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I'm approaching the point where I'm willing to go into the hyper intimidating trading system, and there is one point re: uniques that I am curious on:

Am I best buying, say, a Deaths Harp with one socket for 1 chaos and then rolling for better links and colours? Or should I wait and pay more for a better rolled unique with say 4 links straight off the bat?

Trying to get a feel of the value of different currencies and when to use them is tricky though cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

FYI Shrapnel Shot and Siege Ballista have improved early game for Ranger immensely. If you're trying to use Split Arrow or Rain of Arrows or Frost Shot before getting Tornado Shot you really should try to use those instead.

Shrapnel shot didn't do a whole lot for me when I was farting around with my ranger. Especially once I got lesser multiple projectiles and could tear through groups with ice shot from a good distance. Then I got lightning shot and :laffo:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

RossCo posted:

I'm approaching the point where I'm willing to go into the hyper intimidating trading system, and there is one point re: uniques that I am curious on:

Am I best buying, say, a Deaths Harp with one socket for 1 chaos and then rolling for better links and colours? Or should I wait and pay more for a better rolled unique with say 4 links straight off the bat?

Trying to get a feel of the value of different currencies and when to use them is tricky though cool.

It really depends on what 4L Death's Harps are going for. I'm not super knowledgeable on currency rates atm but its going to be something around 7 jewellers for 1 chaos and 2 fuse for 1 chaos. You have to consider its probably going to take more than just 7 jewellers and 2 fuse to get a 4L so you're already up to 3 chaos if you get extremely lucky. Crafting is usually a trap. If Death's Harps are going for >10 chaos I would maybe consider it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Just got back into this. I used Night's Hold with Flame Totem socketed for leveling, was beyond level 30 before Bladefall got ahead of it in DPS.

Can I get a clan invite for "Jawnza"? My status message is something about killing santa, so maybe ~8 purges ago?

RossCo posted:

Trading's really not that bad. Up right now I can see a 4l going for 1c, and a few others around 4c. 4l is doable as a mere mortal, but I wouldn't try it with ~3c worth of jewelers/fusings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
To anyone playing Mjolner, or anything with similar mechanics, Deadhand Talisman is your best friend. One of the biggest issues with Mjolner on some bosses is flask charges and having to use Molten Strike, and the talisman solves both these issues. Drop one for the boss and as soon as it picks it up you have an endless stream of easy things that will let Lightning Strike proc tons of spells and keep your flasks constantly full.

If you have issues getting the boss to pick up the talisman you can drop it near it then portal out. When you portal back in stand still during the 30 second immunity and it will almost always pick it up during that time.

• Locked thread