Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yo Peter I've spent time in hospitals you should really have a gown on if she's got shingles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember that they did this in the Marvel Avengers Alliance game, where Tony just constantly shits on him for every little mistake

That reminds me of the comic where Hank's on the phone with Reed Richards, and the latter tells him to pull back and let Reed handle an issue with Pym Particles because "I know more about them than you do" and Hank just loses his loving mind :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me of the comic where Hank's on the phone with Reed Richards, and the latter tells him to pull back and let Reed handle an issue with Pym Particles because "I know more about them than you do" and Hank just loses his loving mind :allears:

No, Reed says he can't be bothered to spend the hour (or whatever arbitrary time) to learn more about Pym Particles than Hank, so he Skypes him instead.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Here's my fix for Pym...it's kinda daring.

"Hey guys, I have to confess. I've actually been a dick this whole time trying to compensate for not feeling as cool as you all."

"Yeah, we know. We'll forgive you if you just stop inventing things that try to kill us all. Dick."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't that the implicit way they've always let Hank Pym back into the fold?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I recall panels somewhere of Beast giving him a :catstare: "You will put an AI on this space station over my dead body, Pym".

And as I recall, yeah, that's how they keep getting people to not lynch him in the street... and then he builds another Ultron and the cycle starts over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

No, Reed says he can't be bothered to spend the hour (or whatever arbitrary time) to learn more about Pym Particles than Hank, so he Skypes him instead.

Uh, no. He clearly says "I know more about Pym Particles than you" to which Hank responds "It's on bitch."

Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I liked Pym's characterization in avengers academy, where he has admitted to himself that he's a better administrator and scientist then he is a super hero, and focuses more on behind the scenes research while using the gently caress ups and mental issues in his past to help him keep a group of borderline, troubled kids from letting their own darkness take them over.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

There's also the one where he invites him to a space ship because it would take him a full two weeks to become the bio-techno-whatevero-logist Pym's spent his life learning to be. Then in the space of about two panels he builds some obscure device that Hank thinks up with bits he has laying around. But then he is Reed Richards, and his shtick always will be "Don't provoke me into spending ten minutes thinking about this".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mover posted:

I liked Pym's characterization in avengers academy, where he has admitted to himself that he's a better administrator and scientist then he is a super hero, and focuses more on behind the scenes research while using the gently caress ups and mental issues in his past to help him keep a group of borderline, troubled kids from letting their own darkness take them over.

Much like the super-scientist version for some reason having him explicitly take this position never ever loving sticks, even though it's the exact niche he always ends up filling when he's on a superhero team anyway.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

Uh, no. He clearly says "I know more about Pym Particles than you" to which Hank responds "It's on bitch."

Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers.

Yeah, there's two different conversations getting mixed up here. There was a separate conversation, which I think was also with Pym, where Reed describes him as the foremost expert on somethingorother, the punchline being that Reed decided calling and asking was easier than taking three weeks to get up to Pym's level on the subject.

e: like a redheaded stepchild.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hank Pym pretty much peaked as the Jarvis for the West Coast Avengers, with a later close to high water mark in Avengers Academy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Comics are so bad sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Comics are so bad sometimes.

Dan Slott.txt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That art ain't pretty, either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Huh, I always thought that was an edit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just always loved the idea of Reed being obliviously confused as to why all the other geniuses can't wrap their heads around the stuff he's making, and also why they all seem to get really upset with him when he tries to help out/improve their stuff.

Nothing cruel or arrogant or callous, I just love the idea of him being really nice and helpful and accommodating and it just frustrating the hell out of everybody else who have spent a lifetime being the smartest guy in the room until they met him. I mean, isn't that basically Doom's origin story?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing cruel or arrogant or callous, I just love the idea of him being really nice and helpful and accommodating and it just frustrating the hell out of everybody else who have spent a lifetime being the smartest guy in the room until they met him. I mean, isn't that basically Doom's origin story?

No Doom's origin is due to Reed thinking he was the smartest person in the room and ruining a perfect experiment. :doom:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I just always loved the idea of Reed being obliviously confused as to why all the other geniuses can't wrap their heads around the stuff he's making, and also why they all seem to get really upset with him when he tries to help out/improve their stuff.

There was a really fun Fantastic Four one-shot, I forget which run it was, but it was basically about a guy who spent years working on a shrink ray prototype, only for Reed Richards to announce he was selling a compact and commercially available shrink ray gun that he'd made in his spare time, ruining the guy's career and life.

The guy then concocts a really ill-advised plan for revenge.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hank Pym pretty much peaked as the Jarvis for the West Coast Avengers

That's my favorite Pym.

"No, I'm not a super-hero anymore, I'm a scientist, uh, slash adventurer, but I'm not a super-hero"

*starts pulling all manner of tiny objects out of pockets, enlarging them, saving the world*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This is my second-favorite Reed behind the Reed who was cruel, arrogant, and callous about his brilliance until said qualities got his entire family irradiated whose general communal values gave him the humbling Doom's pompous aristocratic upbringing never did fully casting the two in thematically opposite lights. Seriously why the gently caress hasn't that been the crux of the emotional arc of either Fantastic Four movie?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In what world did Doom have an aristocratic upbringing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is still the best characterization of Reed Richards in the entire history of F4 comics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Ah I got him confused with the Ultimate version who was. So uh, that world. Yeah.

Rhyno posted:

This is still the best characterization of Reed Richards in the entire history of F4 comics.

That's what I was getting at, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's cheating to post stuff from the Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo run :colbert:

God that was such a good run on the series.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That baby's bedroom is something out of my nightmares.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lurdiak posted:

While he got Ultimate Doom and 616 mixed up, you could still do an interesting dynamic of "arrogant dick whose smarty smarts cost his friends their chances at a normal life, humbling him" and "arrogant dick whose smarty smarts let him crush the guys who did bad stuff to the only people/singular person he cared about, emboldening him". That kinda still works for Doom. Instead of what the movies did of smarty smart guy vs smarty smart guy with too much space goo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely agreed. Those pages always get me a little misty eyed whenever they get posted. It's just a good, powerful, emotionally relatable concept and why it hasn't been used in any of the movies is an even bigger question than why they keep loving up Doom.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It hasn't been used because the only reason they keep making F4 movies is so they won't lose the rights to it, so they just churn out whatever they can, shittiness be damned.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Post Funny Panels. PLEASE.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Silver Age was a time where spanking was still enough of a non sexual thing it's genuinely unclear if this was meant innocently or for the writer to jack off to.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That alien is clearly going to enjoy it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Both aliens seem a little too happy with this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The Silver Age was a time where spanking was still enough of a non sexual thing it's genuinely unclear if this was meant innocently or for the writer to jack off to.

It can be two things!

Contest of Champions #3 presents your new favorite Hulk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, considering at this point they've basically just solidified the Gamma Bomb as "turns people into Hulks" has there even been a what-if where nobody snuck into the testing range and it got dropped on a populated city or something?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

You know, considering at this point they've basically just solidified the Gamma Bomb as "turns people into Hulks" has there even been a what-if where nobody snuck into the testing range and it got dropped on a populated city or something?

The Leader gamma-bombed a whole town once. It Hulkified a half-dozen people, but killed the rest.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Hang on, hang on. What the hell is Venom wearing around his neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Looks like part of the Spiderman uniform as a dainty little ascot.