Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's a nice crane :allears:. I wish they'd add those to Space Engineers so you could do stuff like send mining drones down into the planet and then reel them back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Ropes Cables in Space Engineers would be awesome. Especially if they transmit power and signals.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Space Telstra.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I shot down a few pirate drones to see how they worked, and it turns out it's just programming blocks (I had assumed engine-based AI like the spiders)... anyway it got me thinking, is there a writeup or crash-course on drone automation? Even if I could do something simple like "autopilot me home and dock" or "follow me and shoot at enemies", that'd be super great. I'm no good at programming blocks themselves and my dip-toe-in-water approach to the Remote Control block has so far been fruitless. (Other than camera-driveable bot drones)

In other news, are timer blocks supposed to be airtight? Because they're not (and the wiki says they are) and that pretty much nukes my current capital ship design :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

I shot down a few pirate drones to see how they worked, and it turns out it's just programming blocks (I had assumed engine-based AI like the spiders)... anyway it got me thinking, is there a writeup or crash-course on drone automation? Even if I could do something simple like "autopilot me home and dock" or "follow me and shoot at enemies", that'd be super great. I'm no good at programming blocks themselves and my dip-toe-in-water approach to the Remote Control block has so far been fruitless. (Other than camera-driveable bot drones)

In other news, are timer blocks supposed to be airtight? Because they're not (and the wiki says they are) and that pretty much nukes my current capital ship design :mad:

Just cluster up a bunch of small-block ones on a rotor head and lock'em with maglocks. Then turn off the maglocks and never worry about them accidentally unlocking.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

For all that Keen/ Marek has talked up AI with GoodAi and such, SE/ME only has rudimentary ai that most games implement for granted imo. I think the spiders/cyberhounds follow the same basic commands like the drone ai; find player, goto player, atttack player or attack object/explode.

E: That kinda fits where my tension with SE is. I love SE, I got 600hrs in it by Steam, but I feel that some things are left for spectacle rather than real use, survival or creative. The Deformation/damage model for one. So many time I've tried out a fighter(my own or workshop) and 95% of the time my cockpit is killed due to a deforming block or the laser accuracy of the turrets. Same with large ships, sometimes blocks will deform into a thin line spanning blocks and insta-kill any non-deforming block in the way. Wheel have been in for a long time, with planets they really need a rework.

The mod system is broad but equally shallow, it allows some great stuff, but a lot of it is re-skins/specs of existing blocks, not anything truly game changing. Like if I wanted a multi-point thruster, deploy-able solar panel, a weapon system not like the included 2, etc its impossible.

I know they've been focusing on planets for what a year or more now and coming performance/MP fixes will be a good thing. I just hope they look back at modding and current features and fix/improve them for the SE of today and tomorrow.

Ugh, this turned into a late night rant, I got some thoughts about SE I've had for while out, ignore me if you want.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 6, 2016

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Jigoku San posted:

For all that Keen/ Marek has talked up AI with GoodAi and such, SE/ME only has rudimentary ai that most games implement for granted imo. I think the spiders/cyberhounds follow the same basic commands like the drone ai; find player, goto player, atttack player or attack object/explode.

Hopefully they start to do more with the AI soon, though I've found if I limit myself to two gathering bots in Medieval Singleplayer, they do a fine job of gathering wood I chop down if I mark it as a wood area.

have some more crane construction. I'm planning to build a second on top of the tower...to help build the tower.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jigoku San posted:

E: That kinda fits where my tension with SE is. I love SE, I got 600hrs in it by Steam, but I feel that some things are left for spectacle rather than real use, survival or creative. The Deformation/damage model for one. So many time I've tried out a fighter(my own or workshop) and 95% of the time my cockpit is killed due to a deforming block or the laser accuracy of the turrets. Same with large ships, sometimes blocks will deform into a thin line spanning blocks and insta-kill any non-deforming block in the way. Wheel have been in for a long time, with planets they really need a rework.

The mod system is broad but equally shallow, it allows some great stuff, but a lot of it is re-skins/specs of existing blocks, not anything truly game changing. Like if I wanted a multi-point thruster, deploy-able solar panel, a weapon system not like the included 2, etc its impossible.

I know they've been focusing on planets for what a year or more now and coming performance/MP fixes will be a good thing. I just hope they look back at modding and current features and fix/improve them for the SE of today and tomorrow.

Ugh, this turned into a late night rant, I got some thoughts about SE I've had for while out, ignore me if you want.

I agree with you. SE is a game about design, but the combat is too half assed to create interesting design problems or solutions, plus the enemies aren't interesting to fight because of the dumb AI, and the multiplayer makes PvP impossible. I've stopped playing until the netcode is fixed, because I feel like PvP will help the design aspect of the game a lot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Turrets would probably be improved if they had to lock on before they could fire and had restrictions on how fast they can rotate.

Alternatively (or also with)
Fixed weapons could be made more competitive if they could also lock on, with greatly reduced range of movement. Like the lasers on the fighters in star wars.

Hopefully that would lead to more interesting design decisions, where you can trade range of movement, accuracy, firepower, lock on times etc. More interesting than the current game of large ship machine gun turrets to instantly murder fighters and large ship rocket turrets to kill other large ships, where whoever has the most rocket turrets wins

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

64bitrobot posted:

What is the solar panel glitch?

Solar panels are extremely picky about when they charge batteries. It is extremely frustrating when you're on a planet.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Firos posted:

Solar panels are extremely picky about when they charge batteries. It is extremely frustrating when you're on a planet.
Batteries, as they are currently, have a neutral state that attempts to adapt to the current grid situation. That is to say, if there is an overall surplus of power, the batteries will charge, and if there is an overall deficiency, the batteries will discharge to fill the gap.

So let's say I've got a grid with ten solar panels, a small reactor, a refinery, and an assembler. During the night, the solar panels are getting no juice, so the batteries must drain to power the refinery and assembler. If the batteries run out of juice, the small reactor steps in to make up the difference. As the sun comes up, in theory, the batteries should output less and less power until equilibrium is reached, and once the sun is up enough, the solar panels should put out enough power to fuel the production blocks AND recharge the batteries. The small reactor should only provide power in instances where the batteries are completely depleted.

But what ends up happening is that the switch isn't made fluidly. If the solar panels aren't putting out enough juice, rather than drain the batteries first, the small reactor works overtime, burning through precious uranium to charge the batteries to full. This is especially annoying because reactors only charge batteries at 80% efficiency, meaning they're chugging through extra uranium that wouldn't otherwise be required.

I think the interaction between batteries and reactors needs to be tweaked. As it is, you kind of have to manually operate both to ensure resources aren't wasted.

Edit: and that doesn't even account for the "solar panel glitch," where solar panels on a separate grid (like a rotating arm to track the sun) don't transfer their power to attached grids reliably.

Edit2: My brain took a poo poo here, and I used "refinery" in place of "small reactor" several times, making the post even more incomprehensible than it currently is. Apologies.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think your brain took a poo poo here.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

HardDisk posted:

Replace 'refinery' with 'reactor' and it makes sense. Sort of.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Me and another goon were building a base that had a battery and some panels. No problems. Net input > output so lights were on and battery also charged during the day. Then we built a battery powered mining ship and hook it up via connector, and it just shits the bed. Solar panels go all "?????" and output their power, but neither the batteries on the ship (set to charge) nor the base battery (all boxes unchecked) charge. We ended up having to leapfrog a bunch of uranium ore by hand that we managed to find with the scout ship we had and an ore detector on it and no drills. So yeah that was fun.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
in SE, how do I remove trees aside from rockets? The drat foliage messes up everything I want to make.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

sloshmonger posted:

in SE, how do I remove trees aside from rockets? The drat foliage messes up everything I want to make.

Flying yourself really, really quickly into it (no seriously, this works)

edit: misread something

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

HardDisk posted:

It absolutely did. I'm sorry. I used "refinery" where I should have used "small reactor" several times. The post has been edited.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2016

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Does anyone have a quick way of breaking blocks in medieval engineers? I'm still play survival and I swear every time I build a stone block that I decide I don't like where it is...it takes minutes to deconstruct using the hammer, there has to be a better way.

Edit: Here's my finished large crane

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 6, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

64bitrobot posted:

Does anyone have a quick way of breaking blocks in medieval engineers? I'm still play survival and I swear every time I build a stone block that I decide I don't like where it is...it takes minutes to deconstruct using the hammer, there has to be a better way.

Edit: Here's my finished large crane

That's gorgeous. I keep forgetting that Medieval Engineers is a thing too, and that it has a lot of the features I want in a survival building game. Has anyone ever even tried Castle Siege?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Old Cargo Tug;

New Cargo Tug;

It's got four jump drives instead of the original's two, and it's basically designed to haul or shove stuff about with oversized engines. The maglock frame on the back is for looted wreckage, or just piggybacking ships along with it.

The Cargo Pods and Bumblepods actually lock in via merge blocks on this one instead of latching on and praying via maglocks. The Cargo Pods also have connectors on both ends now, so they can just be tacked on indefinitely.

Though that's not to say the maglock frame's not useable...

Triskelli posted:

That's gorgeous. I keep forgetting that Medieval Engineers is a thing too, and that it has a lot of the features I want in a survival building game. Has anyone ever even tried Castle Siege?

I really need to update the Medieval Engineers patch notes, as I haven't done so in quite a few weeks since mid-october. Oops. :cripes:. Updated now.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 7, 2016

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Patch notes.

Update 01.116 - Medical room modding support posted:

Summary
Greetings Engineers and Happy New Year!
In this week's update we are introducing the ability to modify the medical room and also providing a few example mods for characters and medical rooms to show the new and old possibilities. For example you can disable / enable respawning on medical room, disable / enable healing and refueling, disable / enable suit changing or restrict which models you can change into for a specific medical room. This makes it possible to create scenarios where each faction’s medical room would spawn specific models for it, for example aliens vs robots. Or you will be able to create an upgraded medical room that spawns suits with more health points.
Below you can find some example mods that we have created for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXVcsShlZQ

Features
- medical room modding support
- example mod for medical room
- example mod for character suits (different attributes)

Example Mods
- KEEN SWH Alternative Suits Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593363544
- KEEN SWH Medical Room Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595306502

Fixes
- fixed crash with rotors
- fixed crash when detonating warheads
- fixed sensor range visibility is bad in Dx11
- fixed random crash when launching the game
- fixed mods not working for planets

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey guys, in case any of you like to use mods that remove armour edges, I've made a version that doesn't suck*
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595665128

* By which I mean it's compatible with mods that rebalance/alter existing armour blocks, and should also strip edges from any added blocks. And as it doesn't change existing definitions it won't become out of date if Keen decide to rebalance vanilla armour again like they did recently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Hey guys, in case any of you like to use mods that remove armour edges, I've made a version that doesn't suck*
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595665128

* By which I mean it's compatible with mods that rebalance/alter existing armour blocks, and should also strip edges from any added blocks. And as it doesn't change existing definitions it won't become out of date if Keen decide to rebalance vanilla armour again like they did recently.

Added to the OP, along with the weekly patch notes.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's an awesome find!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's my birthday today, and as a gift to you lot I'm sharing a remote backup for my Avalon Battleship Mk.3 that I made just so it's stored somewhere. I also left some toys in for anyone wanting to have some fun with it. The visibility's set to Friends Only, but I think most of you are on that list anyway.

Pirate Drones are enabled, but it's not technically an Infinite World. If you want to blow poo poo up, I dumped a battleship from the Workshop into the world within weapons range. Activate a Combat Alert, then set the USS Deadmeat's ownership to Space Pirates,and have fun.

I also tossed in my unfinished Cargo Tug and Caterpillar heavy crawler as well on the hangar decks if anyone wants to poke them, along with a Hawk Starfighter because what is a Battlecarrier without a starfighter on-deck?

Fair warning; It's probably outrageously chuggy on a low-spec PC :v:

Stupid non-DX11 projectiles

Also have a couple pics of the broadside guns kicking in one my little frigates, just because damned if they don't look cool killing stuff :allears:.

McGiggins posted:

That's an awesome find!

I think the word you want is "creation". GotLag made it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You say "made" but it was mostly asking in the modding forums if anyone already had a dummy model I could use and then editing a dozen lines in Edges.sbc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

You say "made" but it was mostly asking in the modding forums if anyone already had a dummy model I could use and then editing a dozen lines in Edges.sbc

Hmmm... co-opted?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As far as I'm aware nobody's taken that approach before.

I was using one edge removal mod but the author hadn't updated it with the new heavy armour costs (now includes grids and thus cobalt in addition to assloads of plates). I found one with the new costs but that broke my other mods because the author had taken the lazy approach of using the entire vanilla CubeBlocks.sbc and just doing a find & replace on the "show edges" parameter.

So I thought "gently caress it, I'm going to do this properly."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The latest hotfix added some exciting behaviour to thruster override: the slider is all kinds of hosed up, and while the load function reads override values as percentages, the save function writes them as newtons.

Before:

Save and reload:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

The latest hotfix added some exciting behaviour to thruster override: the slider is all kinds of hosed up, and while the load function reads override values as percentages, the save function writes them as newtons.

Before:

Save and reload:

It even defaults when copy/pasting them too. Fixed a mining drone, pasted a second, it stopped moving because it couldn't draw the multi-GW power it needed for the broken value. Here's hoping for a hotfix come Monday.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
A bug worthy of NASA.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://setoolbox.codeplex.com/

quote:

As of 6th January 2016, SEToolbox is no longer maintained.

The Space Engineers game base has become too complex for me to continue working with to keep SEToolbox working.

I will look in at the SEToolbox code from time to time, to see if it's viable to get working again, but otherwise this is it. It's game over.

I will continue working on the Admin helper mod script, as long as in game script API works and continue to expand functionality there to cope with the loss of SEToolbox.

Thank for your understanding, it has been fun while it lasted.

See you space cowboy...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a comprehensive programming block guide/API somewhere? I keep finding instructions/methods in KeenSWH programs that aren't documented in the wiki/official guide and I'd really like some complete documentation.

e: I only know a little programming... I got a 'hello world' text panel and can get things that I've found to work, but for the life of me I can't use GetActions to work (or rather, get the generated list to iterate strings), which seems like it would give me a lead to explore.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So, uh, turns out my Frigate will actually fly in Atmosphere on its hydrogen thrusters.

I also may have pit it into a fight with itself. The other ship fell out of the sky from a lack of fuel :v:.

And the one I was controlling wasn't far behind as it made a break for orbit :ohdear:.

Turns out my general ship design's pretty crashproof even at high speeds. Though it does have some... stability problems on the ground...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I need to learn how to model for this game. I've made another lovely mod, this time one that processes gravel into useful ores:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598415416

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

GotLag posted:

I need to learn how to model for this game. I've made another lovely mod, this time one that processes gravel into useful ores:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598415416

I'm already using the Gravel Resources Extractor. It looks like your resource per gravel is more generous, though!
Looking forward to your custom model. :)

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I'm getting back into Space Engineers after not playing for like a year. Was looking at all the workshop content and it's pretty overwhelming. I've been reading that not all of them are compatible with planets?

Edited because I'm a bad who didn't read the OP.

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 11, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

XkyRauh posted:

I'm already using the Gravel Resources Extractor. It looks like your resource per gravel is more generous, though!
Looking forward to your custom model. :)

Yeah I briefly used that but I didn't like the way it kinda rendered refineries obsolete.

Also he says he's fixed it now but his mod was producing magnesium and platinum faster from gravel than from the ores.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I prefer the one that converts stone into gravel and small amounts of every ore that still need refining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there any way to transfer power from a battery on a large ship to a station that the ship is not docked to? I landed on an earth-like planet and built a base next to where I landed and I could really use the power still stored in the ships batteries but I've torn down too much of the ship to fly it anywhere but it is just sitting right next to my base.

• Locked thread