Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Bought myself a HBK-4SP the other night, ran it stock and actually had tons of fun with it. I definitely want to keep the 2x SRM6 on it, I've seen a few builds that substitute in 2x LLas for 2 of the MLas. I think just about every build I've seen bumps up the engine to a std250. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Stringbean posted:

Bought myself a HBK-4SP the other night, ran it stock and actually had tons of fun with it. I definitely want to keep the 2x SRM6 on it, I've seen a few builds that substitute in 2x LLas for 2 of the MLas. I think just about every build I've seen bumps up the engine to a std250. Any recommendations?

Back in the day filling it with MLs and SRM6s with the 2x SRM6 was the go to build. I can't see why not to use it these days. LLs have a bit too long a burn time to be properly paired with SRMs, you want to be dumping damage and then twisting away. It's not like you could use an LL for long range poking, the arms are way too low for that.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Just had several matches of 3 man driving brawly Heavy Metals. Was rather surprisingly fun and successful. We were all based loosely on this build, seasoned to taste. It's been the first time I've heard my mech make with the butt rock in a long time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

This works, too. But we're not going Davion. :colbert:

We can go davion and just roleplay that we're st ives. So basically capellans.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

Just had several matches of 3 man driving brawly Heavy Metals. Was rather surprisingly fun and successful. We were all based loosely on this build, seasoned to taste. It's been the first time I've heard my mech make with the butt rock in a long time.

Dammit, I missed my chance to show off my terrible life choices!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Judging by this thread alone, I'd say the steam release was actually a giant success.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Back in the day filling it with MLs and SRM6s with the 2x SRM6 was the go to build. I can't see why not to use it these days. LLs have a bit too long a burn time to be properly paired with SRMs, you want to be dumping damage and then twisting away. It's not like you could use an LL for long range poking, the arms are way too low for that.

That's what I was figuring, I'll nab an engine upgrade, DHS, and the armor upgrades. Don't think Artemis is going to add anything considering I should be up in faces to blast SRM in their face.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kazvall posted:

Judging by this thread alone, I'd say the steam release was actually a giant success.

Your av makes me laugh every time

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ezekeel posted:

Bought 3 DWF. What is a good build to skill up these guys in solo queue? I am currently using 4xUAC5 4xERML but thinking about switching to a more long range build like 2xGauss 2xLPL or something. Just too hard to get into a good firing position in these chaotic PUG matches. And with a long range setup I could just hang back and snipe.

2 UAC10 3 UAC5. Ever seen a mech blow up in under 3 seconds? You will with this build.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

That also has a good bit of range, so you can hide behind your pubbie meatshields.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
When is GIRL going to do do some CW? :barf: I know it's terrible but Mechbays guys.

vvvv: If we go IS don't anyone let AoD and I drop in the same CW match or else he will have a coronary. I have approximately 0 IS mechs that are (or can be) fit gud for CW. RIP.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vorenus posted:

When is GIRL going to do do some CW? :barf: I know it's terrible but Mechbays guys.

vvvv: If we go IS don't anyone let AoD and I drop in the same CW match or else he will have a coronary. I have approximately 0 IS mechs that are (or can be) fit gud for CW. RIP.

I've got no room to talk, my IS drop deck has a LRM golden boy. Or was it a SSRM2 Golden Boy? I forget which bad life decision it was.

Although that was a long time ago. I'd probably drop all marauders or something now.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I tried out the battle master with 4LPLs and it was great. I do better in my black knight with a 360xl and 2LPL in each arm though.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Rhymenoserous posted:

2 UAC10 3 UAC5. Ever seen a mech blow up in under 3 seconds? You will with this build.

I made one of these last night. It's stupid how fast it completely destroys another mech. I didn't take any back up guns or extra heat sinks. I kept the armor in the left arm hoping that I can shield with it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I pubbie dropped real quick last night in a 000b fitted with 1 AC20 and 3 LPL and blew up 6 other mechs. The amount of pinpoint damage is silly with that thing. Then I can use the left(right?) arm as a shield and it's awesome. No clue who suggested to do this build, but thanks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Don't mock MechCommander Hollander roleplay guys. If I want to further my immerison by roleplaying the Inner Sphere loyal but secretly trueborn Captain Harrington Davion-Kerensky, piloting an honorabru-ly inefficient mech then by God sir I will!

I prefer roleplaying as a Steiner-Loyalist, since walking slowly towards the enemy in a heavy mech is what I do best. Getting flanked by faster mechs and dying like a chump just makes the immersion that much stronger

In other news, I finally broke down and spend some money on a second Raven, since the first one I bought came without ECM. Now I'm planning to spend some time at the map's edge to fire at some passing sucker's behind like an rear end in a top hat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is my favorite dakkawolf build: http://goo.gl/96gF63

Why? It has a dead side you can sacrifice, it runs cool when you stick to the main guns, it has a high enough rate of fire to brawl, but enough range to pepper from a distance, it's got reasonably threatening backups when the ultras jam, and enough damage output to kill things quickly. The only thing it doesn't really do is snipe, but otherwise it's a murder beast.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015
Tried a DWF with 2xUAC10 2xUAC5 3xERML and I really like the damage output. One has to be careful with heat though.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Welp, I did it; I ground up enough C-Bucks over the weekend to buy my last Timberwolf and a Direwolf-W. Apparently the B is better for dakka so rip me, I guess but gently caress it. Since I'm super loving broke all I did was strip the LRM's, Gauss, and regular lasers that came on it off in favor of an UAC10 and some medium pulse lasers. Once I'm in someone's face double-tapping the UAC10 and 20 along with a little pinpoint laser fire really gives someone the business. Holy poo poo is it fragile compared to my Atlases (Atlai?) and Stalker though. I've gotten so used to being like "oh, my armor's almost gone, whatevs", with the Direwolf that's kind of all you've got. Still, there is no other mech in the game that feels as good when someone wanders under your guns. Just the sheer amount of firepower is unbelievable. I met an Executioner, I looked at him, he looked at me, then he fell over dead. :getin:

Speaking of the Atlas I had my favorite badass Atlas moment in a while last night in my 7S on River City. Someone made the point that Assaults should spearhead the assault since it was in the drat name and for once pubbies actually listened. I, along with my faithful pubbie Timberwolf companion, pushed across the river, netting me two kills in the process, then went to check the tunnel under the airfield. The enemy team had gotten it into their heads that they were going to set a trap in there, so lining the walls were an Atlas, a Raven, a Marauder, and a King Crab. I fearlessly torso twisted the gently caress out of that poo poo, weathered the gauntlet with AC20 and SRM's intact, and made it all the way through to the exit, getting two more kills before turning around to shoot the King Crab in the back while it tried to deal with Pubbie Timberwolf for a fifth kill. Super loving satisfying.

Of course, for every one of those games I have about 30 where I die alone like an idiot because I'm actually really bad at robots.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So I just got this game - are there any benefits to sticking in your starting RVN-3L(C), other than it being free, and a piss easy robot to drive around in, shooting at other extremely bad/new pilots? There seems to be a cheevo for winning your first matches in a cadet mech, is it worth it?

How good is the +30% XP modifier?

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

jBrereton posted:

So I just got this game - are there any benefits to sticking in your starting RVN-3L(C), other than it being free, and a piss easy robot to drive around in, shooting at other extremely bad/new pilots? There seems to be a cheevo for winning your first matches in a cadet mech, is it worth it?

Cadet bonus is crazy worth it, save up and you essentially get a free mech of your choice at the end. Sign up for the email newsletter too for a free week of premium time so you get even more c-bills

edit: also the cadet bonus applies to all of your first few matches, it is not dependent on the mech you are piloting

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Rocketpriest posted:

Welp, I did it; I ground up enough C-Bucks over the weekend to buy my last Timberwolf and a Direwolf-W. Apparently the B is better for dakka so rip me, I guess but gently caress it. Since I'm super loving broke all I did was strip the LRM's, Gauss, and regular lasers that came on it off in favor of an UAC10 and some medium pulse lasers. Once I'm in someone's face double-tapping the UAC10 and 20 along with a little pinpoint laser fire really gives someone the business. Holy poo poo is it fragile compared to my Atlases (Atlai?) and Stalker though. I've gotten so used to being like "oh, my armor's almost gone, whatevs", with the Direwolf that's kind of all you've got. Still, there is no other mech in the game that feels as good when someone wanders under your guns. Just the sheer amount of firepower is unbelievable. I met an Executioner, I looked at him, he looked at me, then he fell over dead. :getin:

Speaking of the Atlas I had my favorite badass Atlas moment in a while last night in my 7S on River City. Someone made the point that Assaults should spearhead the assault since it was in the drat name and for once pubbies actually listened. I, along with my faithful pubbie Timberwolf companion, pushed across the river, netting me two kills in the process, then went to check the tunnel under the airfield. The enemy team had gotten it into their heads that they were going to set a trap in there, so lining the walls were an Atlas, a Raven, a Marauder, and a King Crab. I fearlessly torso twisted the gently caress out of that poo poo, weathered the gauntlet with AC20 and SRM's intact, and made it all the way through to the exit, getting two more kills before turning around to shoot the King Crab in the back while it tried to deal with Pubbie Timberwolf for a fifth kill. Super loving satisfying.

Of course, for every one of those games I have about 30 where I die alone like an idiot because I'm actually really bad at robots.

Front load all your armor on a Direwolf. If someone gets to your back you are hosed anyways, you don't have any turning speed. Ideally your lights should be supporting your back.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

jBrereton posted:

You should have access to more than just the raven; there are 4 trail mechs per class that are free for anyone to use, the raven being one of them. The 30% xp bonus is pretty useless, don't worry to much about it. The cadet bonus cheevos gives you a ton of cash over the course of 20 games which will leave you with enough cash to buy a few smaller mechs or one larger one. Just be sure to ask goons what to buy so you don't end up getting a lemon.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Ok, i'm coming back to this pile of poo poo, who do I need to talk to in order to get into a goon unit? I'm Ko Tengu in game and also probably on Mumble if I still have it installed.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Drythe posted:

your lights should be supporting your back.

This is a good joke, you're a funny guy

vvvv This was my thought process. It just seemed like the best CT.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Rocketpriest posted:

DWF-W was the right choice. The -B only has 1 energy hardpoint in the CT, the -W has 2. You can buy the two ST omnipods of the -B (which are best for dakka) for 450k CB or so each. If you ever want to run a build with a couple of ERML the -W is the best choice.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

armchairyoda posted:

FYI- MWO and alcoholism aren't mutually exclusive.

Those robots are a start, but you'll also see at least 2 loyalty robots with cbill boosts in your mech bays. That'll help a bit... Once you save the $$$ up for upgrades and parts.

Squawking is only bannable if one of the GM's didn't get enough fiber or some such.

They actually used F4 for 3rd person view for a while. Never change :pgi: .

Thanks. I think I got in the swing of things again and managed to exchange all my lovely old mechs plus all my cbills/MC for two Stormcrow variants and a Timberwolf. Having a good time so far with them. Is this where I ask for an invite to GIRL or whatever? In game as Mo900

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

AFAIK it's not a bannable offense, but if GM Patience or whoever gets a hair up their rear end, they'll probably point to the chat logs and say you've been repeatedly spamming in text chat.

http://pastebin.com/vuaXAsHW

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hunchback-4J with LRM-10s is fun to run in pubbie games, but otherwise no, I'd probably just go for medium or better lasers/pulses or ballistics. :v:

If you have a mech that can mount missiles and just want to farm exp for it, LRMs are a pretty great way to do it. Unless you're in the upper tiers pubbies are loving awful at not standing in the open and you spread enough damage around that you'll get gently caress loads of assists and probably the odd kill or two stolen when you whack 20-40 damage on some mech with a cored out torso. If you are even halfway intelligent you can stick close enough to your teammates to avoid getting gutted by lights, and since you're in the back row you tend to be the last guy dead. Douchy gameplay? Sure, but it's a good way to get 400-800 damage a match and you don't have to do it too much to bank enough EXP to get that mech mastered.

Note: if you're the sort of player who can single handedly win pub games do whatever the gently caress. If you are somewhat dependent on your pubbies not leaving you out to dry you'll make more money this way.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

:golfclap:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

He should ban the people who spam "gl hf" and "hi" in chat every game, it's highly disruptive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stringbean posted:

That's what I was figuring, I'll nab an engine upgrade, DHS, and the armor upgrades. Don't think Artemis is going to add anything considering I should be up in faces to blast SRM in their face.

You want artemis on your SRM6's. Even at face-hugging distances it makes a difference.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ezekeel posted:

DWF-W was the right choice. The -B only has 1 energy hardpoint in the CT, the -W has 2. You can buy the two ST omnipods of the -B (which are best for dakka) for 450k CB or so each. If you ever want to run a build with a couple of ERML the -W is the best choice.

It's got more than that: Zoq-Fot-Pik

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

You want artemis on your SRM6's. Even at face-hugging distances it makes a difference.

If you can't fit IS ASRM6s, then bring ASRM4s. This should really be a rule for even posting in this thread.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

If you can't fit IS ASRM6s, then bring ASRM4s. This should really be a rule for even posting in this thread.

Yes!

Hunchback 4SP quirks plus Artemis is poo poo hot accurate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

That hunchback can fit ASRM6s. I forget my exact build right now, but it's that, ammo, and a couple of MPLs. Mostly you rely on the SRMs but the MPLs have a short enough duration to use them if you have the heat to spare. It's accurate enough that you can do some poking at medium-short ranges.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Started to play this again, first time since beta. Due to what ever loving reason it means I have a rank of low 5, which has major upsides but it also makes me question humanity.

E.g. Just was in a match with a King Crab equipped with 6 MG's, a Streak SRM, Med Pulse Laser LRG Pulse Laser and a LRM 20 - who after our team died seemed to think the best way to play was shoot MG's at people from 500m's.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

That hunchback can fit ASRM6s. I forget my exact build right now, but it's that, ammo, and a couple of MPLs. Mostly you rely on the SRMs but the MPLs have a short enough duration to use them if you have the heat to spare. It's accurate enough that you can do some poking at medium-short ranges.

Is it the 3x MPLas, 2x SRM6+A? With an arm completely free of weapons so you can use it as a shield?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Stringbean posted:

Is it the 3x MPLas, 2x SRM6+A? With an arm completely free of weapons so you can use it as a shield?

That is probably the best one right now. The other option would be 4-5 medium lasers and full armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nuebot posted:

Turns out you can buy MC with steam cash so I bought some and haven't used it :shepface: now I have a reason to sell my steam trading cards again I guess. Should I save up for the oxide mastery pack or buy some ugly rear end neon colors?

I wonder if I can sell my steam poo poo to finally get that pink Mardi Gras theme I've been wanting!

• Locked thread