Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Radish posted:

I think a better way to handle it (at least as far as IANAL myself sees it) would be to give them a set amount of presidential terms (maybe four so basically 16 years) before being forced to retire the position. I don't really understand why someone appointed two decades ago should be making extremely important political decisions now and there is no way for people to do anything at all about it. The SCOTUS shouldn't have to worry about being voted out by a reactionary public but also we should have some way of moving the bench in a direction based on politics reflecting the current country instead of just hoping they die somehow.

I too hate that Antonin Scalia exists but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Trabisnikof posted:

except the so named rational basis review has nothing to do with rationality

Wikipedia posted:

Under rational basis review, it is "entirely irrelevant" what end the government is actually seeking and statutes can be based on "rational speculation unsupported by evidence or empirical data."[7] Rather, if the court can merely hypothesize a "legitimate" interest served by the challenged action, it will withstand rational basis review.

Rational basis = does the lawmaker have a justification and goal in mind? It's not in any way at all a high bar to clear, duder.

CommieGIR posted:

This is not a first amendment issue, regardless of what the courts say.

Yes, exactly. Which is why your preference that asking about guns remains legal and conversion therapy being illegal doesn't matter before a court of law. If restricting one isn't a 1A problem then neither is the other, being the setting for both is in a state licensed professional's office. The time to argue a rational basis issue is before the legislature, not the court, and if the legislators don't listen you're up the creek.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, exactly. Which is why your preference that asking about guns remains legal and conversion therapy being illegal doesn't matter. If restricting one isn't a 1A problem then neither is the other, being the setting for both is in a state licensed professional's office.

Oh, fair enough, that does make sense now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't not see the president and Vice President being family as the prelude to an end of a democracy.

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't not see the president and Vice President being family as the prelude to an end of a democracy. Why would she even say something like that as a joke?

Why does it matter that they're family? It's not like VP is an appointed position; they were both elected to their offices

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I hadn't drawn that equivalence before. Thank you, that's interesting!

It's not an equivalence. One is talking about prescribing a medical treatment, the other is talking about asking a question.

e: from that popehat article:

"We distill the following relevant principles from NAAP and Conant: (1) doctor-patient communications about medical treatment receive substantial First Amendment protection, but the government has more leeway to regulate the conduct necessary to administering treatment itself;"

There is nothing about administering treatment in this guns decision. If anything the not-bolded part of the above strengthens the argument that the guns decision is incorrect.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...arily_step_down

quote:

Eric Fanning made national headlines last September when Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee fibbed about his qualifications to become the next Secretary of the Army. Fanning, who is gay, is immensely qualified and was nominated because of his qualifications to serve as the next head of the Army.

At the time, Huckabee waged a small war against Fanning.

RELATED: Mike Huckabee's Supporters Want Obama 'Tried For Treason' For Nominating Gay Man To Lead US Army

"It's clear President Obama is more interested in appeasing America's homosexuals than honoring America's heroes," Huckabee, said in a statement last fall, ignoring the fact that countless LGBT service members at every level are also America's heroes.

"Veterans suicide is out-of-control and military readiness is dangerously low, yet Obama is so obsessed with pandering to liberal interest groups he's nominated an openly gay civilian to run the Army. Homosexuality is not a job qualification," said Huckabee, who last year also had said he would have said he was transgender in high school if it meant he could have showered in the girls' locker room.

"The U.S. military is designed to keep Americans safe and complete combat missions, not conduct social experiments," the ordained Southern Baptist minister accused.

Now, it looks like Huckabee may get his wish.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

They're in a real predicament because the first thing that you described is impossible. Laws are written by committees of humans and are frequently contradictory, poorly defined, or otherwise impossible to analyze objectively.

Hmm sounds exactly like computer software to me actually.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

From the guy who brought you the Too Many Chefs parody with all the presidential candidates, What if the State of the Union was a Wes Anderson Movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2nP-hci-AQ

That was great and spot on, aside from the weird slow-motion Bobby Jindal, which I shuddered at

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

quote:

"Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., placed a hold on Fanning's nomination in protest over Obama's campaign to close the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility and transfer detainees to the United States," the AP reports, adding that since Army Undersecretary, Patrick Murphy was confirmed last week, there's now someone else to take charge.

But remember, Obama could close Gitmo anytime he wants and he's not closing it because he had progressives!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's not an equivalence. One is talking about prescribing a medical treatment, the other is talking about asking a question.

e: from that popehat article:

"We distill the following relevant principles from NAAP and Conant: (1) doctor-patient communications about medical treatment receive substantial First Amendment protection, but the government has more leeway to regulate the conduct necessary to administering treatment itself;"

There is nothing about administering treatment in this guns decision. If anything the not-bolded part of the above strengthens the argument that the guns decision is incorrect.

You're trying too hard. The California law bans conversion therapy for minors by licensed professionals whether or not they ever intend to follow up with any treatment, such as prescribing drugs. The courts approved that part of the Cali law as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're trying too hard. The California law bans conversion therapy for minors by licensed professionals whether or not they ever intend to follow up with any treatment, such as prescribing drugs. The courts approved that part of the Cali law as well.

Conversation therapy is (quack) treatment, even if it doesn't include drugs. You're trying to hand-wave away a real and meaningful difference between a law banning doctors from asking a broad range of questions versus a law banning doctors from engaging in a kind of treatment. The fact that "doctor-patient communications about medical treatment receive substantial First Amendment protection" means the First Amendment is at play here even if you've declared it isn't.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Conversion therapy is treatment. The speech made during that treatment is regulated differently from non-treatment speech, which you'd know if you'd read the article.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If doctors were supposed to be able to give me advice to improve my health, then why aren't they allowed to give me advice to make my health worse? :smug:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Muscle Tracer posted:

Conversion therapy is treatment. The speech made during that treatment is regulated differently from non-treatment speech, which you'd know if you'd read the article.
Conversion therapy is torture, and those who practice it or recommend it should be jailed (and/or beaten by "ex-gay" people forced to go through that poo poo).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I too hate that Antonin Scalia exists but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I dunno. I think that there's enough decent legal minds in the pool so that you can rotate the "good" ones after a long term while not letting the "bad" ones fester forever. If people are consistently voting in one party over the other I believe that should be reflected rather than just getting lucky and the other side's judge happens to have a heart attack during your guy's term of office.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Conversion therapy is treatment.

Its not a real treatment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

For people that might missed the shitshow that happened in Flint vis a vis poisoning the entire city, here's an article wrapping up the developments and many, many questions

quote:

On Tuesday, Governor Rick Snyder declared a state of emergency due to lead in the water supply. The same day, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that it is investigating what went wrong in the city. Several top officials have resigned, and Snyder apologized. But that’s only so comforting for residents. They’re drinking donated water supplies—though those donations are reportedly running dry—or using filters. Public schools have been ordered to shut off taps. Residents, and particularly children, are being poisoned by lead, which can cause irreversible brain damage and affect physical health. It could cost $1.5 billion to fix the problem, a staggering sum for any city, much less one already struggling as badly as Flint is.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/what-did-the-governor-know-about-flints-water-and-when-did-he-know-it/423342/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fade5 posted:

Conversion therapy is torture, and those who practice it or recommend it should be jailed (and/or beaten by "ex-gay" people forced to go through that poo poo).

If you had been reading the thread, you'd see that someone is arguing that if we ban said torture we have to allow states to ban doctors asking about how much fat you eat, if you have the means to commit suicide, how much you drink/smoke, etc.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, we should ban all surgical procedures because it's illegal for a doctor to drive a broadsword through a patient's chest. They're basically the same thing.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Serious question: Shouldn't we be worried about the constant use of EOs in the case that it'll encourage future Republican presidents to use them?

And that generally it's kind of corrupt (though I like what Obama's done so far)?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Serious question: Shouldn't we be worried about the constant use of EOs in the case that it'll encourage future Republican presidents to use them?

And that generally it's kind of corrupt (though I like what Obama's done so far)?

GW's use of them dwarves Obama's exponentially.

EDIT: But, yeah, it's not a sign of healthy political system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Unholy Ghost posted:

People often confuse what exactly an executive order does. Often there are parts of laws or regulations that are not specific and agencies and departments of the federal government can make determinations as to the meaning or intent of the specific the provisions of law. Or another alternative is the agencies have been given specific powers under the law to make decisions on their own a good example is the prosecutorial discretion of the US Justice Department. In both of these cases President Obama as chief executive of the executive branch has the power to instruct his subordinates to either use their legislative granted powers in a specific way or to interpret unclear or ambiguous laws in a specific way.

Neither of those uses are corrupt nor a unusual use of American executive power, presidents throughout our history have done similar.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
As long as the tyranny of doctors recommending that their patients be vaccinated is allowed, why should I get in trouble for cutting out someone's heart and offering it to Xipe Totec?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Have any so-called important people yet drawn a dumb parallel between doctors talking about guns and doctors forcibly counseling women seeking abortions?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Phone posted:

There's a certain darkness whiteness about her that I just can't put my finger on.

Actually I think you'll find that most people don't like her because of a certain Y-ness.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

lol nope, and if any of this was true then conversion therapy for minors in California would also become legal again!

That California law uses the exact same legal power that Florida is using here. Whether or not you think it's "justified" doesn't matter because of how rational basis review works. And rational basis is what's currently applied to professional speech regarding conversion therapy and guns. Not strict scrutiny. Basically, as long as the person proposing the bill isn't literally caught on tape going "And I'm doing this because I hate the Jeeeeews!" you're going to pass rational basis.

Read more and learn: https://popehat.com/2013/08/29/ninth-circuit-rejects-first-amendment-challenge-to-california-law-banning-conversion-therapy/

Interesting that you support that idiotic SJW safe space.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That ship has long since sailed

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I created a thread for tomorrow's State of the Union speech: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759691

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Nah https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/every-presidents-executive-actions-in-one-chart/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

I created a thread for tomorrow's State of the Union speech: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759691

Hopefully Paul Democrat Ryan will keep Obama from hiding any onions in the podium.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are there any facilities that can convert me away from being straight? I'd like to try out the gay lifestyle, it seems like a great choice and it comes with a pretty cool agenda

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Shageletic posted:

GW's use of them dwarves Obama's exponentially.

EDIT: But, yeah, it's not a sign of healthy political system.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That ship has long since sailed
As noted, it's more a symptom of our hosed-up political system than anything truly heinous.

If congress would actually do and pass things it wouldn't be a problem, but they famously refuse to do anything and so executive orders are one of the only ways left to get things done.

It's similar to the AUMF debacle where we're using the existing AUMF way more broadly that it should be (and our actions in Syria are of a hilariously questionable legality as a result), but the political system is so dysfunctional that there's no other real options.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Interesting that you seem to be using SJW unironically.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

blue squares posted:

Are there any facilities that can convert me away from being straight? I'd like to try out the gay lifestyle, it seems like a great choice and it comes with a pretty cool agenda

I know this great place called Uncle Elizabeth's that will get you your fill of the gay pretty quickly.

The benefits are kind of meh though. No casual Fridays.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

Young man, there's a place you can go. I said, young man, when you're short on your dough. You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
So how likely is it that the Supreme Court will murder unions with the Friedrichs case today?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

So how likely is it that the Supreme Court will murder unions with the Friedrichs case today?

I would start making the funeral arrangements

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

Don't worry, it is just public employee unions, which are bad because its our money!!! How dare they argue for increased wages, that comes out of my taxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crowsbeak posted:

What makes them SJW? I mean besides kicking out the random white supremacist contributor, which is what every decent human being would do in split second.

• Locked thread