Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think his main problem was the source of the complaints. Penny Arcade had a long proud history of telling critics to gently caress off. When Jack Thompson, or a greeting card company tries to shut them down, we all enjoy an angry rant telling them to gently caress off. Child's Play was basically started just to spite a reporter who wrote an article about videogame violence. When it's a bunch of rape victims it's not so funny. He spent years refusing to back down an inch and it finally came back to bit him.

You can't really blame Gabe for the community response. Gamergate types don't need to be riled up to start harassing women.

Yeah that's a great point. It's all part of that nerd tribalism where the whole world's out to get them and anyone criticizing them is a bully.

Here's a Penny Arcade I actually think is funny. It's greatly improved if you read Superman's dialogue in Patrick Warburton's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That was pretty good. Here is a new one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
When did Gabe decide the ugliest greenish browns were going to be his thing?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Oculus sounds similar to Occult.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BobbyK posted:

Ah, now the comic is funny. Thanks for explaining.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BobbyK posted:

20 Hilarious Autocorrect Errors You Won't Believe!

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nitrox posted:

I feel like if he gave a poo poo about his art he'd draw the eyeballs blinking alternatingly and not just draw new mouth/eyes between the first/last panel.

They're 15 years older why are their characters drawn younger? Why is yellow shirt's mouth reminding me of alvin and the chipmunks.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

That took me much too long to get... but I like it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nitrox posted:

It's really churlish of me to poo poo on what's essentially one of the Garfields of webcomics after 17 years, but I feel like I've read this exact basic joke by them at least 5 times.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man Gabe has really become a really lazy artist. Yeah just copy and paste those panels buddy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

cmykjester posted:

Man Gabe has really become a really lazy artist. Yeah just copy and paste those panels buddy.

Remember when people bashed Buckley for this and praised PA for not doing it?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This was outstanding

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decrepus posted:

Remember when people bashed Buckley for this and praised PA for not doing it?

Yeah. I kind of miss the CAD mock threads despite how terrible they used to get. It was pretty funny but people did reach a point where they had to stretch harder when Buckley went from objectively terrible to just boring and mediocre.

But yeah it's just three loving panels make at least a little effort.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Soul Reaver posted:

I think this is on-topic:

I grew up square in the center of the early aughts monkey cheese webcomic boom and yet, somehow, I managed to never see a VGCats strip until right now.

Holy poo poo, it's just... terrible. It really typifies everything I hated when I was 15. God drat.

edit: the fact that it's competently assembled somehow makes it even worse. ugh

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Radio Help posted:

I grew up square in the center of the early aughts monkey cheese webcomic boom and yet, somehow, I managed to never see a VGCats strip until right now.

Holy poo poo, it's just... terrible. It really typifies everything I hated when I was 15. God drat.

Sounds like a fuckton of comic book stores to me.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

kizudarake posted:

Sounds like a fuckton of comic book stores to me.

Yeah, I went into a sci-fi/board game nerd store not too long ago and pretty much that exact dude was there. It's shocking to think that this experience is so relatable, because he seriously did every single one of those things. Especially the smell.

First three panels of that comic are dumb though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trapped mouse posted:

Yeah, I went into a sci-fi/board game nerd store not too long ago and pretty much that exact dude was there. It's shocking to think that this experience is so relatable, because he seriously did every single one of those things. Especially the smell.

First three panels of that comic are dumb though.

Yeah, there's a guy in BSS who works in a comic book/collectible cards store and talks about the lovely customers and that VGCats strip sounds almost exactly like one of his stories. If the character had creeped out all the female customers it would have been an even better fit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's a "lovely comics store guy" I keep running into. First I see him at the comics shop every time I go in there, which is odd because I go in once maybe every three years. Then I see him working at a gas station. Then of all loving places I see him running a "rabbit agility trials" at the local summer fair. It's like, I can't avoid this guy even if I want to.

He has a giant "ironic" 'fro and I think he shampoos it with Prel: Grease & Cheeto-Dust Scent.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Radio Help posted:

I don't think that it can be considered a "monkey cheese" comic.

The first two panels make perfect sense in context: the previous comic featured a character (Samus) waking up hungover after a party and realizing that the previous night, while drunk and incapable of making good decisions, had slept with a (gross and hairy) character (Master Chief). She then stood in a cold shower, looking shellshocked.

This previous comic elicited complaints, so the first two panels of comic 135 (the one posted here) were the writer's response. In them, he attempts to mock his detractors, and demonstrate that rape can in fact be funny by making a joke by implying the complainant is about to be raped by a leather clad 'gimp' (of course, whether you think that joke is funny depends partially on how much of a horrible person you are).

The next panel, which is arguably the most 'random', is in fact a homage to/imitiation of a scene from Monty Python's Flying Circus (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK8IC-bGnU), and indeed is used in the same way: to end the previous scene and set up a transition to a different, unrelated skit (the comic book shop). So despite being 'random', it actually is a very logical scene to use for this purpose. The title of the comic "Ode to a python", alludes to this reference.

The following comic book shop part features a fairly accurately represents a certain, particularly horrible kind of customer that tends to frequent comic book stores (eliciting what I consider a funny rant from the comic book store owner). Some of the dialogue does make reference to earlier comics (such as the "other stash" bit) but isn't random if one is aware of the character from previous comics, and the rest of the comic book store plot makes sense too.

tl;dr HURR DURR I WROTE TOO MANY WORDS ABOUT VGCATS OF ALL THINGS

Soul Reaver has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Jan 12, 2016

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Soul Reaver posted:

HURR DURR I WROTE TOO MANY WORDS ABOUT VGCATS OF ALL THINGS

Yes. Yes you did. That being said, it's definitely not "monkey cheese penguins" random.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Vg cats is a good and funny webcomic. Deal with it.

PA isn't what it used to be, and its clear they've moved on from a lot of the "in the game" humor as they don't play as much anymore. Its clear its a business at this point.

Its still funnier than many other webcomics out there and occasionally hits one out of the park with some good commentary or unique stories.

PVP is less funny but I've been with it so long I Can't just give it up. Plus the artist is from Des Moines lolololol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jastiger posted:

PA isn't what it used to be, and its clear they've moved on from a lot of the "in the game" humor as they don't play as much anymore. Its clear its a business at this point.

Its still funnier than many other webcomics out there and occasionally hits one out of the park with some good commentary or unique stories.

PVP is less funny but I've been with it so long I Can't just give it up. Plus the artist is from Des Moines lolololol

you're a cancer

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It wasn't that long ago that basically every webcomic was about videogames just by default. I don't really think it's bad that they're moving away from that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Lol what? No.

quote:

Agreed.

quote:

Its still funnier than many other webcomics out there

True but this isn't a compliment to PA, it's a comment on how bad many other webcomics are.

quote:

and occasionally hits one out of the park with some good commentary or unique stories.

Lol no.

quote:

Oh god lol no.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

This post is a portal into the place of the wailing and gnashing of teeth

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, there's a guy in BSS who works in a comic book/collectible cards store and talks about the lovely customers and that VGCats strip sounds almost exactly like one of his stories. If the character had creeped out all the female customers it would have been an even better fit.

I went to a local tabletop gaming shop two summers ago for the first and last time. The owner was the one who was weird and smelly. There were empty pizza boxes all around and he was really awkward to interact with and probably on the autism spectrum. The place was a disgusting mess. He is the only employee, and the store doesn't have regular hours - it just opens when he wants to be there and closes when he doesn't.

I have always wanted to visit one of these mythical games shops where the employees are nice and relatively normal people, but I can't find one. The only local games shop that is decent is a sports memorabilia shop that also sells some trading card games. I could probably make decent money opening a friendly games store, but I have no desire to interact with this kind of consumer base.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I have always wanted to visit one of these mythical games shops where the employees are nice and relatively normal people, but I can't find one. The only local games shop that is decent is a sports memorabilia shop that also sells some trading card games. I could probably make decent money opening a friendly games store, but I have no desire to interact with this kind of consumer base.

You should go for it. I've seen a few upscale, clean, well-lit gaming places staffed by norms, and generally those places don't see a lot of the crust-punk gamer scum show up. I think they get intimidated when they see anyone approaching being a halfway-normal person that might actually try to have a human conversation with them, so they stick to the rats-nest hole in the wall places.

There's a local comics places near me that used to be a real cramped dimly lit dump, and you got the worst types in there. They recently moved to a nice new spacious shop with good lighting and no unkempt stacks of whatever, and the freaks and weirdos totally disappeared. In truth, the owner probably sees a little less business now, but he seems genuinely happy to be there, now that he doesn't have to ask people to leave because their body odor is making the children cry that came in for the "Paint A Mini For Free Day!" promotion.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Penny Arcade was the first real big webcomic of its kind. A million other "two guys play video game" webcomics came along after and really shat up the entire scene. With the exception of the greatest of them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You guys would probably enjoy Our Valued Customers, which is mostly little one-panel caricatures about comic shop That Guys based on stories readers send in.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Your "being angry about the South" gimmick was better.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry vgcats is funny *keeps on rose tinted glasses*. So was 8 bit theater.

I don't know why people hate on Penny Arcade. It's not amaaaaaazing but it's not terrible. And pvponline is totally thr Garfield of comics but like I said, soft spot for it since he's from here and even did some work at the local comic shop.

One of the best remains Order of the Stick imo. It's good, mostly.

Being mad about comics without saying why is a worse gimmick imo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The comics-to-bullshit-said-about-comics ratio is absolutely out of wack here.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Man with poo poo taste unsure why people don't like Penny Arcade.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That was a nice comic

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You guys would probably enjoy Our Valued Customers, which is mostly little one-panel caricatures about comic shop That Guys based on stories readers send in.

These are actually pretty good and far too many of them hit way too close to home.

Edit:

plainswalker75 has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jan 12, 2016

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.
Why does every character in that comic looks like he's about to swallow a softball?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

paradoxGentleman posted:

The comics-to-bullshit-said-about-comics ratio is absolutely out of wack here.

I feel like these would be funny if I was a vet or something. It doesn't seem terrible so there's probably just a context I don't have for any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wrong Thread

• Locked thread