Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kefkafloyd posted:

Unless you cut back on your data, you'll need to go for the 15GB plan, which will be $115/m before taxes and fees for a phone on AT&T Next/BYOD. Buy an unsubsidized phone and keep your unlimited plan. If your discount is 20%, it should put the cost around 92 before taxes and fees.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Why would I buy an unsubsidized phone and keep my unlimited plan, just to continue paying what I will pay once the $5 hike kicks in? I pay 88 now, once the 5 gets added, I'll be at 93.

edit: Oh, are you saying when it's time to upgrade to a new phone, that's what I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Alright, need to get some info with AT&T and decide if I'm going to stay or go.

I just upgraded to a 6S back in September/October (whenever it came out), and was able to get the subsidized 64gb phone for $300, while keeping my unlimited data.

I currently have the National 450 with rollover, unlimited text, unlimited data...with a military discount, it gets me to about $88/month ($40 for the 450, 30 for unlimited, 20 for texting).

Over the last year, here's been my max and averages:

Text: Max 350, average 150
Data: Max 8 gb, average 5.2gb
Talk: Max 1400, average 415 (That 1400 was an anomaly, the highest besides that was 885, then 570, and every other month has been under 200...thank god for rollover-I normally really don't use the phone that much at all for calls)

Now, in February, my unlimited goes up $5, so I'll be around $93 for all that.

My questions are:

1) Since the subsidized phone is going away, I can ETF now and not owe AT&T a thing and go to a carrier of my choice and I suppose just use my iPhone, though I'd probably have to unlock it, correct?

2) What are my options for plans? Can I keep the unlimited? Do I honestly even need that unlimited? What would you recommend for a plan? The unlimited texting might even be overkill...

You will have a hard time still finding a better plan. Verizon would be $100 minus about $10 with discount for 12GB of data if you are bringing your own phone like you can. T-Mobile isn't much less for the amount of data you need. So you may want to stay where you are at, for better or worse.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

You will have a hard time still finding a better plan. Verizon would be $100 minus about $10 with discount for 12GB of data if you are bringing your own phone like you can. T-Mobile isn't much less for the amount of data you need. So you may want to stay where you are at, for better or worse.

That's good to know. So I guess, going forward, what I'll have to do, is when I want to upgrade a phone, either look into Next and lose unlimited or buy the phone outright, correct?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

nwin posted:

Why would I buy an unsubsidized phone and keep my unlimited plan, just to continue paying what I will pay once the $5 hike kicks in? I pay 88 now, once the 5 gets added, I'll be at 93.

edit: Oh, are you saying when it's time to upgrade to a new phone, that's what I should do?

Yes, when it's time to upgrade. The upside to the 15 GB plan is that you'll get tethering. If you think you can cut back, get a 5GB and save money.

If you ditch your texting plan, the overages don't get reduced by the discount if you do non-iMessage texting. If you find out that your iMessage texting is 95% of your texts, you'd be better off dropping your texting plan.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

smackfu posted:

We added my sister-in-law to our family plan, and she previously had a Net10 phone. We were trying to port the number but the guy at the AT&T store said it was a pain-in-the-rear end but he would do it if we wanted to wait an hour and possibly fail. Then my sis-in-law mentioned that the Net10 plan wasn't active and he said it wasn't possible at all.

The second part seems totally valid to me, but any experience on the first part?

(This is just academic since we ended up just getting a new number, because she didn't care about the bill credit and we didn't really care to spend any more time on it.)

This happened to me with my cousin. She had something, I thought StraoghtTalk but it had been something else. The rep was a douche and it was taking forever, so my cousin just decided to get a new number, which meant I didn't get a $75 credit for porting in a number (still got $125 from Bank of America for adding a line, though). It turned out the rep put insurance on the phone which we explicitly said no to (Moto G 2nd gen, so cheap).

So, in other words, it does sound like it is more work, we spent a while on speakerphone with some corporate call center trying to get the number ported.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

hello, I currently rent an AT&T uverse router/modem and want to stop for various reasons. Is there an option to do this? Like either buy the current modem/router I rent from them or purchase my own 3rd party modem and/or router?

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 5, 2016

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
It seems to be NEXT is only good if you are 10 gigs+ i currently have 5GB 2 year plan and unless my math is wrong I am paying more.

5 GB plan

2 year contract:

10.21 phone cost (200 down payment + 45 activation fee / 24 months)
40 monthly access charge
50 for data

100.21 a month
x 24 months
-------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AT&T Next

27.72 phone cost (27.09 phone + .63 activation fee (15 / 24 months))
25 month access charge
50 for data

102.72 a month
x 24 months
------------------

Difference

I think since "you vote with your wallet" I'll just get my phone from Apple and have apple care thrown in with it and not give AT&T the satisfaction of what ever profit Apple gives them on an iPhone sale. Plus I don't want directTV shoved in my face when I go to get a new phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're slightly wrong in that you also didn't include sales tax on the phone, but that just makes it even less in your favor. That said, it can come out in your favor if you're not buying a high-end flagship phone, though the difference will be small. It does work out much better for family plans, though.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

You're slightly wrong in that you also didn't include sales tax on the phone, but that just makes it even less in your favor. That said, it can come out in your favor if you're not buying a high-end flagship phone, though the difference will be small. It does work out much better for family plans, though.

DOH yeah the sales tax...

I am used to getting the newest iPhone every two years, and I am not looking to change that just so I can win. I like the idea of just giving my 650 bucks right to apple and just have service through AT&T and give them less profits, not that they care

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dbhjed posted:

DOH yeah the sales tax...

I am used to getting the newest iPhone every two years, and I am not looking to change that just so I can win. I like the idea of just giving my 650 bucks right to apple and just have service through AT&T and give them less profits, not that they care

It's what I do. AT&T doesn't care. I'd be using Cricket if I didn't have such a horrible experience trying to port my number to them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thought I run this by the thread.

So in Oct 2014, I went into an AT&T store to get a new iPhone, the agent added mobile insurance without me asking.

I called in as soon as I saw it and asked it to be removed and refunded. This was not done, but I didn't notice.

I happened to check the bill last night, and saw it was on there, so I went online and removed it and called into get a refund. I was offered 3 months refund of the insurance, but I asked if I could get it all, and the agent told me she'd need a manager. So I was put on hold for a manager, and then the call dropped. IT was like 10pm by now so I just called back this morning.

Today I was transferred around for an hour and a half, in the the transfer process i was sent to Insurion, and the offered me three months too, but needed a manager. So I was transferred to a manager, but it was really just the ATT regular line again. She me she couldn't do anything, but need a manager that then finally rudely told by a manager that they could do nothing, not even the three months.

Is there anything I can do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would go to a corporate store and pretty much raise hell until they do something. Can't give you the runaround when you're right there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Thought I run this by the thread.

So in Oct 2014, I went into an AT&T store to get a new iPhone, the agent added mobile insurance without me asking.

I called in as soon as I saw it and asked it to be removed and refunded. This was not done, but I didn't notice.

I happened to check the bill last night, and saw it was on there, so I went online and removed it and called into get a refund. I was offered 3 months refund of the insurance, but I asked if I could get it all, and the agent told me she'd need a manager. So I was put on hold for a manager, and then the call dropped. IT was like 10pm by now so I just called back this morning.

Today I was transferred around for an hour and a half, in the the transfer process i was sent to Insurion, and the offered me three months too, but needed a manager. So I was transferred to a manager, but it was really just the ATT regular line again. She me she couldn't do anything, but need a manager that then finally rudely told by a manager that they could do nothing, not even the three months.

Is there anything I can do?

No, you are out that money. Standard ATT policy is past 3 months for billing disputes, beyond that it is your responsibility to have been checking your bill.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would go to a corporate store and pretty much raise hell until they do something. Can't give you the runaround when you're right there.

The response will be something like this:

"I'm sorry sir, but I wasn't there 2 years ago and since you signed there is no way to verify. Customer care crediting the last 3 months will be the best option. Yes I understand you have been a customer with us for 5 years, but unfortunately the system won't let me do anything more. And I can't give you the info to our district manager, but I can forward your information to him/her. However, I would let you know the answer will be the same, we simply cannot credit more than 3 billing cycles."

Seriously, obviously sucks, but if you had something added on, asked for it to be removed, and then didn't check your bill for months, then you really are liable. Add in corporate politics and policies and you aren't getting that money back. I would chalk it as a lesson to always check bills say, twice a year.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 8, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

No, you are out that money. Standard ATT policy is past 3 months for billing disputes, beyond that it is your responsibility to have been checking your bill.

The response will be something like this:

"I'm sorry sir, but I wasn't there 2 years ago and since you signed there is no way to verify. Customer care crediting the last 3 months will be the best option. Yes I understand you have been a customer with us for 5 years, but unfortunately the system won't let me do anything more. And I can't give you the info to our district manager, but I can forward your information to him/her. However, I would let you know the answer will be the same, we simply cannot credit more than 3 billing cycles."

Seriously, obviously sucks, but if you had something added on, asked for it to be removed, and then didn't check your bill for months, then you really are liable. Add in corporate politics and policies and you aren't getting that money back. I would chalk it as a lesson to always check bills say, twice a year.

I'm totally cool with the 3 months, but this lady wouldn't even do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You straight up said you were offered three months. Twice. And declined it. Twice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You straight up said you were offered three months. Twice. And declined it. Twice.
1/7/2015: offered three months. I asked if I could get more, they said sure, we just need a manager to approve it. Call is dropped
1/8/2015: called back, offered three months, I said I was told last night I could get more if I spoke to a manager. Told I'd be transferred to a manger. Transferred to a regular CS agent. That agent told me I couldn't get anything, not even three months. Manager told me the same, and would not budge.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I was in a similar dispute about insurance and they told me that they legally could not refund insurance payments, I called bullshit and they held firm.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ive got an employee who uses a Samsung Rugby flip phone. Occasionally he gets text that are timestamped 1 hour off. They're received at the correct time, but when he gets around to looking at them they report a time 1 hour later than when they actually got received.

Anyone have a clue whats going on there?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Ive got an employee who uses a Samsung Rugby flip phone. Occasionally he gets text that are timestamped 1 hour off. They're received at the correct time, but when he gets around to looking at them they report a time 1 hour later than when they actually got received.

Phone bug related to daylight savings time?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Only thing I can think of is toggling auto set time zone on and off.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Odd question for anyone who might know.

Anyone know why, when i restart my phone, for about a week the battery will drain like nuts. 90% in a 24 hour period with minimal use. after that week, it gos back to its usual 30%-ish per day? Thought it was my phone, but another coworker with ATT has the same problem with her LG. Im using a Samsung Note 3.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A year or two ago I got about 6 months of billing gently caress up credited. I was getting my now wife a phone on Next and taking advantage of a lower total cost by upgrading to 10 GB (since signing up on Next voided our contract). They hosed up and never did the upgrade. It took me about 6 months to realize and when I called it took a while, but they did credit me the difference. He totalled up the extra I paid, and then found recent items he could credit to me that added up to the total amount.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

A year or two ago I got about 6 months of billing gently caress up credited. I was getting my now wife a phone on Next and taking advantage of a lower total cost by upgrading to 10 GB (since signing up on Next voided our contract). They hosed up and never did the upgrade. It took me about 6 months to realize and when I called it took a while, but they did credit me the difference. He totalled up the extra I paid, and then found recent items he could credit to me that added up to the total amount.

Whoever did that did it surreptitiously, i can almost guarantee it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

Whoever did that did it surreptitiously, i can almost guarantee it.

Very possible. I was just sharing it as a counterpoint. Even if the policy is just 3 months. I think it would be really difficult with insurance though, since you were covered for that time. I was paying more and not getting the benefit I should have been.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI if you get Direct TV you can get unlimited data:

http://recode.net/2016/01/11/att-brings-back-unlimited-data-if-you-sign-up-for-both-tv-and-cell-service/

Keep in mind the plan will no longer include a discounted phone, you have to buy the phone outright. Not sure if it includes tethering or not.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

http://recode.net/2016/01/11/att-brings-back-unlimited-data-if-you-sign-up-for-both-tv-and-cell-service/

Keep in mind the plan will no longer include a discounted phone, you have to buy the phone outright. Not sure if it includes tethering or not.

Any idea how tethering works with this? Because AT&T wireless is about 10x faster than AT&T Internet where I am. The wife is still on AT&T and we already have DirecTV, if I could blow out the DSL and add a cheap phone as the other device then use that for home internet.......

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This says no tethering: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/01/11/att-unlimited/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Of course they'll say no to tethering.

Seriously, gently caress AT&T.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Piso Mojado posted:

hello, I currently rent an AT&T uverse router/modem and want to stop for various reasons. Is there an option to do this? Like either buy the current modem/router I rent from them or purchase my own 3rd party modem and/or router?

I know this is a week old, but no, with U-Verse you have to use the AT&T supplied modem and I'm pretty sure you can't buy them outright since they don't work with any other service.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duckman2008 posted:

Apparently I can't combine my bills because I get a corporate discount on my wireless but AT&T said I can call them tomorrow and they'll set me up. Tethering is nice but unlimited data for my hour+ commute each way to work every day is nicer.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Does AT&T still credit you if you come over from another service and give them your old phone?

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I know this is a week old, but no, with U-Verse you have to use the AT&T supplied modem and I'm pretty sure you can't buy them outright since they don't work with any other service.

thank you! yeah I guess I'm stuck renting it indefinitely then.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Is there any way to know when AT&T is actually going to bury or hang cables in one's neighborhood? Or even if?

We get 768kbps out at my house, and that's it. We have lower population density which I'm sure is why that's the best they can do (even though we're in a large metro area), but I'd want to jump on faster internet pretty quickly if I got wind they would deign to throw us a bone and bury or hang cables that could handle more bandwidth. Currently we just have DirecTV as they don't offer U-Verse TV out here, and though we have on-demand, we can't use it since the internet is too slow. Would a rep even give me a timeline on upgrading lines? Could I bitch enough at higher management to get them to just come out and do it? Or are we just pretty much at their mercy?

Seriously, I think the lowest internet speed offered to anyone in this day and age should be no slower than 5gbps.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Is there any way to know when AT&T is actually going to bury or hang cables in one's neighborhood?
Or even if?
Would a rep even give me a timeline on upgrading lines?
Could I bitch enough at higher management to get them to just come out and do it?
Or are we just pretty much at their mercy?

No (unless you see truck out doing work), no, no, no, and yes. hth

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Wtf, just went to look at my iPhone upgrade and found that there are no more subsidized contracts. Sure, I can switch to next, but that just means I'm paying for the whole phone!? And then still paying the same for my unlimited data plan? And if my family switches to a mobile share plan we get some mild discount on our plan rate, but we all lose unlimited data (and any discount is wiped out by paying full price for the phones)?

Can you add a FAN to an existing account?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 17, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Elysium posted:

Wtf, just went to look at my iPhone upgrade and found that there are no more subsidized contracts. Sure, I can switch to next, but that just means I'm paying for the whole phone!?

Who do you think paid for the phone when under contract?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Thermopyle posted:

Who do you think paid for the phone when under contract?

Paying for the phone (via next or full buy) and keeping unlimited data is the same data price as getting the phone subsidized and paying unlimited data, except for the whole saving $500 on the phone thing. There is no such thing as "rolling the subsidized price into the contract" in this scenario. It's just paying $500 more, or getting a shittier plan. And since 3 of the 4 phones on my account are still under contract, there is effectively no discount for them at all under a share plan (until those contracts run out) AND they lose unlimited data.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 17, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the number of people still in the old iPhone unlimited has gotten small enough that ATT had just said gently caress it, who cares.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Elysium posted:

Paying for the phone (via next or full buy) and keeping unlimited data is the same data price as getting the phone subsidized and paying unlimited data, except for the whole saving $500 on the phone thing. There is no such thing as "rolling the subsidized price into the contract" in this scenario. It's just paying $500 more, or getting a shittier plan. And since 3 of the 4 phones on my account are still under contract, there is effectively no discount for them at all under a share plan (until those contracts run out) AND they lose unlimited data.

Oh yeah. How much data do you actually use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elysium posted:

Wtf, just went to look at my iPhone upgrade and found that there are no more subsidized contracts. Sure, I can switch to next, but that just means I'm paying for the whole phone!? And then still paying the same for my unlimited data plan? And if my family switches to a mobile share plan we get some mild discount on our plan rate, but we all lose unlimited data (and any discount is wiped out by paying full price for the phones)?

Can you add a FAN to an existing account?

Yup, ATT says gently caress you. Unless you buy Direct TV, then you can get the other unlimited data plan.

You can add a FAN to an existing account.