Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
Rosa RM1 (+10% MND when equipping a bow) seems better than my typical 'throughput' healer RMs - Prayer of the Cetra if I'm packing Dia, or one of the apparently 3 different +10% healing RMs if no dia. I will cop to not knowing how MND scales healing effectiveness, though, so can anyone confirm that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Beasteh posted:

Right on. Boon it is. ewFR

I don't know, I've been running Locke with phoenix plunder (AOE fire damage nuke, AOE heal) and I've been getting 70 odd summons a day (14k).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zone of Danger posted:

Rosa RM1 (+10% MND when equipping a bow) seems better than my typical 'throughput' healer RMs - Prayer of the Cetra if I'm packing Dia, or one of the apparently 3 different +10% healing RMs if no dia. I will cop to not knowing how MND scales healing effectiveness, though, so can anyone confirm that?

Let's do some mathcrafting with that. Curaga is 80 potency on the healing formula, whereas Diaga is 830 potency on the magic damage formula. A Lv50 Rosa with good synergy gear (including her bow) would have about 380 MND, and would have about 250 MND with, say, a Hayate Bow V ++ or another non-synergy non-white mage bow.

The healing formula is:
Potency * (5 + (Mnd^0.75) * 100 / 256)

Which gives us:
80 * (5 + (3800.75) * 100 / 256) = 80 * (5 + 86.07 * 100 / 256) = 80 * 38.62 = 3089 HP recovered without any materia boosts. The +10% healing RMs would add about 300 or so to that, giving you something close to 3400 total. OR
80 * (5 + (4180.75) * 100 / 256 = 80 * (5 + 92.44 * 100 / 256) = 80 * 41.11 = approximately 3289 HP recovered with Rosa's RM1. The +10% Healing RMs are better, there.

With lower Mind, your numbers are about 2365 HP healed with no boosts, about 2600 with +10% healing, and 2510 recovered with Rosa RM1. The healing is still a little worse, but it's closer.

On the flipside, the magic damage formula is:
5 + ((Mnd^1.65) / (Enemy Res^0.5)) * (Potency / 100)

Let's assume you're fighting Elite Rubicante (the Difficulty 99 one), who has 297 Res in his normal form. Those numbers give us:
5 + ((3801.65) / (2970.5)) * (830 / 100) = 5 + (18056.89/17.23) * 8.3 = 5 + 1047.99 * 8.3 = about 8700 damage with Diaga, bumped up to ~9600 with Prayer of the Cetra. OR
5 + ((4181.65) / (2970.5)) * 8.3 = 5 + (21132.01/17.23) * 8.3 = 5 + 1226.47 * 8.3 = about 10185 damage with Rosa RM1, which gets damage capped down to 9999.

With the 250 Mind, you get about 4365 damage unboosted, 4800 with Prayer of the Cetra, or about 5100 with Rosa RM1.

tl;dr diagnosis: Rosa's RM1 is better than Prayer of the Cetra in beefing up your Diagas, but is worse than things like Oath of Tycoon or Light of the Fayth for healing, due to how differently healing scales with MND compared to offensive magic. I wouldn't use it with a non-synergy bow unless it has a significant MND boost (aka Rosa's relic), though, or you're sacrificing way too much power just to use a RM instead of using a staff to beef up your skills.

My numbers are fuzzy, of course, but they should be relatively accurate.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 11, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Rubicante was kind of a joke compared to Yunalesca. Once you have his cloak pattern down and queue up a steal ability there's really nothing to the fight.

Shellga, magic breakdown, full break, wall and everyone wearing IV synergy armor and fire rings meant that he was doing maybe 150 damage per attack :v:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Oh

I didn't realize we didn't actually need Edge for Rubicante.
Sorry Edge, but you ran into your own TYRUS called Rubicante neck first, and I really do need the magic breakdown for him.
Man it sucks Edge doesn't get Combat 3. It really does hurt him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, boss rush was pretty pathetic in the end. Mog was twiddling his thumbs for most of it, should have just given him something like Jump.

Now to just wait for stamina to recharge so I can get Decil's MC2.

Still a bit sad I didn't get anything worthwhile from my pulls. Was considering doing an 11-pull to try to get a gun from the next event but since we just got a freebie I might save it.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Was expecting a long grindfest to get Cecil's very good RM3, got it on my very first stage with him in the party :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Non-Ultimates down fairly easy again.

Boss Rush seemed scary at first, but I gave Lenna the christmas stick + Mog's Teachings, so I could AoE heal as much as possible. I had heals up and ready after both Megaflare and Deluge, which helped quite a bit. Other than that I just brought Gilgamesh with a FFIV synergy sword and Tauntaliated away.

Odin was also fairly easy. Brought the same heals, SG rw, Protectga and Physical Breakdown, and then just dug up all the lightning stuff I honed for Omega. Lightning weak bosses keep falling like nothing. :science: D.Cecil is a complete waste of a slot though. Best I could think of was give him both Mental and Armor break, and spam both to mildly buff party damage. I'd take any other IV MC2 over his. :(

Geryon was pretty tense, and required a bunch of S/L to finally get through. I kept having Wakka blinded, and thus no Magic Breakdown. Then one try that didn't happen, but all 6 uses of my Shadowsteel missed. Finally got mitigation to stick, both statuses on Geryon, and blasted him apart with -Ja spells, Ruinga and Valefor.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 11, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Rubicante down with Girl Squad Rytefayuce

Blaze is the big issue of the fight. He does that and then does Inferno afterward its a wipe if you didnt bring asstons of mitigation. Lucky for me I had Yuna's rod SB.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I didn't do a good job making sure my HP was up at the end of the Bahamaut fight. :sweatdrop: Though I was able to kill him before he got off a second Megaflare or even a regular Flare, he did smack Rydia pretty hard, without any mitigation. She survived Ogopogo's opener, but ended up with around 50hp, and I ended up having to S/L a bit until its next attack wasn't an AOE or one that targeted Rydia...

Nice to finally have a Ninja ability that does decent damage! Not sure how often bosses are vulnerable to sap. Seems like one of those effects that, like Water, would be effective against the early ones since players couldn't afflict that affect. (actually, I can't think of any Final Fantasies where they can...)

SuperHappy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Stripper Yuna beaten after a few tries. Surprised I was able to despite my lack in synergy but I feel accomplished. She seemed to love to target Yuna with holy so I'm not looking to try for champion. At least she waited until she was almost dead to KO her.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

SuperHappy posted:

I didn't do a good job making sure my HP was up at the end of the Bahamaut fight. :sweatdop: Though I was able to kill him before he got off a second Megaflare or even a regular Flare, he did smack Rydia pretty hard, without any mitigation. She survived Ogopogo's opener, but ended up with around 50hp, and I ended up having to S/L a bit until its next attack wasn't an AOE or one that targeted Rydia...

I didn't heal up properly at the end of the first boss, since Dr. Mog the useless gently caress never told me that Bahamut OPENED the fight with Megaflare, despite finding the time to tell me pretty much every other thing possible about Bahamut. So Megaflare left me with both the WHM and BLM in one-shot hp range, which he did for the next 8 loving S/L before FINALLY hitting someone else. After that he smacked someone else, I started healing up, but of course he doubletapped one of my doublehit guys (was going with advance strategy) and down he went. At this point I was all "gently caress it, I'll just get through the battle, screw mastery". So I kept it up kept people at near full hp, and then towards the end I tapped attacks and poo poo and as they were counting down he doubletapped my second doublehit guy, leaving him low enough on HP that the third boss' opening strategy of two deluges would probably kill him. I said gently caress IT again, let things go through, start third boss, two deluges DOES kill him. Kinda takes the sting out of advantaliate, but my WHM and BLM slapping Cloud still did plenty of damage and the third boss was a pushover.

Barely got expert out of it, but I really don't think I can be arsed to do it over just for mastery. Things would've been different if I'd just known that Bahamut starts off with a megaflare though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Just a reminder: The next event is Fang and that is the event where we finally get Lifesiphon. For those of you with SSBs or great multi-hit SBs (not me) the game is about to change drastically.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I'm considering making wrath for redxiii to keep lunatic howl up. Please tell me this is dumb.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

Just a reminder: The next event is Fang and that is the event where we finally get Lifesiphon. For those of you with SSBs or great multi-hit SBs (not me) the game is about to change drastically.

:getin:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh thank goodness, I saw the name Revenge of the Four and was expecting that fight with all the fiends and expecting a million mastery conditions. Never heard of Geryon though, apparently it's a fiendblob superboss from the 3D version.

fake edit: was going to say Sap could be tricky, but I see Shadowsteel can do that. Edge can gently caress off though, gonna throw Tyro in instead.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I took it to Ultimate Rubicante last night and needed 120 stamina to get the job done. My first team involved Bartz/Cloud spellblading, Rydia with magic, Yuna healbot, and Fran as support. Main thing I neglected to bring was Shell. I thought my RW as SG along with Magic Breakdown and some high RES/fire resist would be enough to stand up to him, but I was wrong.

So, I tweaked it by taking out Cloud and Fran and subbed in Rinoa and Terra. I also made sure Yuna had Shell. This did the job in terms of both mitigation and damage. Terra was able to use Magic Breakdown AND toss out Waterja. I gave Rinoa Waterga and Cura just in case. Bartz was on Steal Power/Spellblade duty, and Rydia just plinked away. Having Hymn of the Fayth on Yuna once again made a huge difference. I'm not sure how to get through this fight without any form of AOE healing.

Oh, and it was really nice to NOT have to lean on Retaliate meta for once, because that's what all the other bonus battles were.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm not looking forward to getting Sap on Geyron. Normally it wouldn't be a problem since I have Bartz's Air Knife, but Geyron absorbs Wind so I assume that won't work. Or even if it did it wouldn't be worth the effort.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ultimate Rubicante shits out so much damage :( once SG falls off people start dropping like crazy. I'm not sure I'm capable of beating it.

Mastered everything else without a problem though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sprite141 posted:

I'm considering making wrath for redxiii to keep lunatic howl up. Please tell me this is dumb.

If you have Tidus' RM3, that should be enough to keep Lunatic High going to be honest.

Plus much further down the line when we get Core assignments you can just give Red one of the Combat 4 Cores so he can Lifesiphon.

And Lifesiphon should be nice, I'm planning on two copies at least for some combination of Squall/Zack/Lightning. That's it, that's all the physical relic SBs I have for characters that can use Lifesiphon. Well there's Sabin, but his is pretty ehh.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KnoxZone posted:

That event is due to start when, Thursday? I'm planning on doing an 11-draw on that first banner to take a shot at getting Peacemaker early, and then hoarding for SSSB Fest after that.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KnoxZone posted:

Yes, I have been looking forward to this for a while. Cecil (Paladin) has been a staple in every party that I need both Shellga and Protectga since I got his Mythgraven Blade, and adding his Lustrous Sword on top of that was awesome. Now he'll get an R4 Lifesiphon instead of R5 Armor Break to pair with his mitigation spell, will spam Saint's Fall every chance he gets, and will probably never leave my A-team.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Geryon is from FFIV: The After Years, right? It'd be cool if they eventually had content in this game from that one.

Jk all that game did was recycle content from FFIV. It'd be cool to get Ceodore and Ursula I guess.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you have Tidus' RM3, that should be enough to keep Lunatic High going to be honest.

Presumably the problem is they want to give Red XIII Mako Might/Dr. Mog RM to get Lunatic High off at the start, which means no Tidus RM3.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think this new lifesiphon meta will make a lot of unlucky gatcha people very bitter. I myself despite having a poo poo ton of natural 5's do not have any really powerful damage sb/ssb's.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Dr. Mog and Mako Might have really spoiled me, I really want to use Edward and his harp but I feel like in single boss fights building up his limit break is just to slow.

Edward MC please DeNA.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
What the hell does Lifesiphon do again?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lifesiphon is a damage ability that builds up a large amount of SB Gauge per use.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Lifesiphon is a damage ability that builds up a large amount of SB Gauge per use.

What ability tree does it fall under/what level is it/what does it cost/what's the potency?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

IcePhoenix posted:

What ability tree does it fall under/what level is it/what does it cost/what's the potency?

Combat/4*/Power Ice Wind/1.8

Weak potency, but extra SB gauge building. Best with strong offensive SBs that you don't need right at the start, so you can use Tidus' RM3 (to make the gauge fill even faster) to spam SBs throughout the battle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lifesiphon fills 150 SB gauge, vs 50 for a normal attack/getting hit (IIRC). Ace Striker from Tidus's MC2 poosts it to 225 gauge filled. Each SB bar is 500 gauge so Ace Striker + Siphon x2 + 1 hit from an enemy = SB usage. Realistically you'll have a SB usage ever ~3 rounds if you're spamming siphon on a character with a different RM. People with SSBs like Squalls can basically build up 3 bars before a boss and then buff up and drop disgusting amounts of damage in short order.

KataraniSword posted:

I think it's about the time that you run out of abilities. :v:

The thing about Lifesiphon/SB-spam meta is that even if you run out of lifesiphons, you'll still gain your SBs to spam, just at a slower rate. If you run out of spells with mage meta, that character's generally a useless sack of poo poo for the rest of the battle unless you happen to have a Retaliator to bounce rods off of.

Very, very few battles even in JP's stuff get to the point where you'll burn through 20 ability uses plus Soul Breaks (if you have decent ones) without the boss being dead.

With siphon+SB spam you shouldn't be running out of abilities before a boss dies though? It seems like people grind the gently caress out of orbs to get a bunch of r4-5 lifesiphon skills so they can SB 3-4 times in a boss fight and with buffs up each character's doing tens of thousands of damage per SB. I can't imagine there's many/any fights where a team dropping BSSB/SSB spam on bosses don't have them dead by the time the 3rd or 4th SB wave is used. Especially if you've got Ramza buffing up people who can then unload multi-hit (B)SSBs on bosses.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, boss rush was pretty pathetic in the end. Mog was twiddling his thumbs for most of it, should have just given him something like Jump.

Now to just wait for stamina to recharge so I can get Decil's MC2.

Still a bit sad I didn't get anything worthwhile from my pulls. Was considering doing an 11-pull to try to get a gun from the next event but since we just got a freebie I might save it.

Ogopogo was guaranteed a kill vs Butz on my boss rush because of that opening double deluge bullshit, and he'd take tyro to no visible hp. :argh:

Still mastered the rush with Butz dead however it was still annoying as hell. Odin was a chump(lol ~500dmg Zantetsuken), and the next guy is going to face Greg/PLD Cecil/Vaan/Tyro/Y'shtola and I don't think he's going to have a good time since Cecil can Slowga him while Tyro and Y'shtola put up defenses and Vaan hits him with White Whorl to hopefully round 1 sap him.

Might drop Y'shtola for Yuna in the Ultimate fight but I suspect I'll have enough mitigation that her SB heal won't be needed, though it'll probably trivialize the damage.

e:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Geryon is from FFIV: The After Years, right? It'd be cool if they eventually had content in this game from that one.

Jk all that game did was recycle content from FFIV. It'd be cool to get Ceodore and Ursula I guess.

I'm sure Kain's dress sphere would be his Holy Dragoon sprite from that awful clusterfuck of a fanfic.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 11, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schwartzcough posted:

Combat/4*/Power Ice Wind/1.8

Weak potency, but extra SB gauge building. Best with strong offensive SBs that you don't need right at the start, so you can use Tidus' RM3 (to make the gauge fill even faster) to spam SBs throughout the battle.

Thanks friend.

My strongest SB is probably Tidus or Zidane so I doubt I'll get in on the lifesiphon meta (unless they have synergy) but I'll probably draw something cool eventually.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It was close thanks to me being too careful about Rubicante cloaking himself (causing me to run out of Steal Powers), but mastered. :toot:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

e:

I'm sure Kain's dress sphere would be his Holy Dragoon sprite from that awful clusterfuck of a fanfic.

Nah Holy Dragoon Kain should be a new character with 3* White Magic instead of Celerity. He'd be awful, just like the game he's from.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, it wasn't great. At least they put more effort into that than the Chrono Trigger DS bonus dungeons though.

Should have made "FFIV: The Before Years" instead so we could play as Cid when he was like 20.

Speaking of FFIV Cid, can we get him in this game already? If I have to listen to his theme every three minutes, I should at least be able to put him in my party.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'm going to drop 50 myth for Peacemaker because a five loving hit, physical aoe is pretty good :stare:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Beasteh posted:

I'm going to drop 50 myth for Peacemaker because a five loving hit, physical aoe is pretty good :stare:

Oooh, that is a good point. I really feel like I should do some pulls on the two currebt iv banners though. I don't have a lot of offense in ffiv, and all those items look really good. A mind bow for supports and healers, a magic katana for thieves, an attack buffing sword for a character that will become relevant when darkness abilities come out, edwards harp. I have about 50 now and a gently caress ton of dungeons to go through so I guess I can make up the rest eventually.

Is there another banner with thysus comming anytime soon?

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Sprite141 posted:

Is there another banner with thysus comming anytime soon?

Based on http://bantha.org/~dscotton/ffrk_jp.html it will be in the SSSB fest coming up in a few months. Those banners will likely change but Thyrus should be on one of them.

I'm starting to lean more toward saving my mythril for more SSSB pulls, since I think my realm synergy is solid enough to get me through all the events and Ultimate battles until then.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I will say that the opening bout between Odin and Pencil is pretty enlightening. Like, they both agree the King dying sucks, and Odin is perfectly fine with aiding you, but then mentions the Code.

Still though, he feels pretty beefy and possibly requires Tauntaliate.

EDIT:

Sprite141 posted:

Uh no? The king before rubicante was the king of eblan, edge's dad. Odin was the king of baron, who was killed by cagnazzo.

:doh: Forgot that bit. Changed it up.

widespread fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Uh no? The king before rubicante was the king of eblan, edge's dad. Odin was the king of baron, who was killed by cagnazzo.

• Locked thread