Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

Does empire have the automatic unit regeneration thing? If it does i'd probably get it.

Empire has a weird middle-of-the-road system between R1/M2 replenishment and later automatic. Basically, you press a button on the army and all units will be queued up to be replenished with a couple turns with an appropriate deduction of money. It's not as convenient as the latter games and doesn't have logistical implications of the old games so it ends up being the worst of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Empire has a weird middle-of-the-road system between R1/M2 replenishment and later automatic. Basically, you press a button on the army and all units will be queued up to be replenished with a couple turns with an appropriate deduction of money. It's not as convenient as the latter games and doesn't have logistical implications of the old games so it ends up being the worst of both worlds.

Nah, it just makes the game a little too easy. iirc it's just a flat 2 turns wherever you are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of which, I just started playing Imperial Splendour. It's actually pretty fun? Haven't gotten too deep into a Prussian campaign yet, but the enemy actually does poo poo like form up with their reinforcements and makes proper use of line combat rather than just zerg rushing established positions. It's much more fun to fight a battle when the reinforcements regroup instead of fighting a trickle of single stack armies individually coming onto the battlefield to be systematically slaughtered.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I've heard that vanilla Shogun 2 has some issues that are resolved in its expansions but they were never brought over to the vanilla game.

Are there any mods that are an absolute must have? I assume Darth Mod is still a gold standard but I don't know if I want that much new stuff when I mostly just want a relatively smooth vanilla experience to ease me into the expansions.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deakul posted:

So, I've heard that vanilla Shogun 2 has some issues that are resolved in its expansions but they were never brought over to the vanilla game.

Are there any mods that are an absolute must have? I assume Darth Mod is still a gold standard but I don't know if I want that much new stuff when I mostly just want a relatively smooth vanilla experience to ease me into the expansions.

I can't think of any TW games where there are any must-have mods and especially not with Shogun 2. Aside from personal preferences on settings and it not being quite as sandboxy as the other titles, Shogun 2 is basically the best game in the series.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 9, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Shogun 2 vanilla is pretty good, I'd recommend to play it at least once and decide for yourself what do you want to mod, especially after experiencing realm divide. The only mod I used regularly was one little mod to speed up research, because I'm a big baby who wants shiny things faster.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah Shogun 2 is incredible as is. The roster is deceptively diverse, as pretty much every unit can have a place in an army at any point in the game, with a couple exceptions.
You will use cavalry a lot less than in other games, because the cheapest and most ubiquitous unit is a peasant spear unit that is a hard counter to cavalry.
You will use artillery probably never.

Sieges are the least obnoxious of any of the games.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Shogun 2 multiplayer siege was incredibly fun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Huh, a Total War that's fine without mods?
I've seen everything now.

Well, cool to know then!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This is the saddest game of Arena I've had so far:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The only non-TC mods I've ever used on TW are a turns-per-year mod and a screen de-purpler for Rome 2 and I've had a blast with all of them. I don't get why everyone thinks they're so necessary, I love the games as they are.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Deakul posted:

Did you hear about specific problems? It's weird to offer answers to a such a vaguely defined question.

There's a workshop mod that gives you more skill points for each your generals and agents each time they level. It's useful and pretty balanced. That workshop page also has a bunch of links to a few other basic mods that are pretty good. They fix the underwhelming parts of vanilla, like general's combat skills, fortifications, or whatever.

Some people say that the occupation resistance mod improves the AI and forces it to actually garrison its towns better. I don't know if it's true or not.

Otherwise, the only other mods I use are cosmetic.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Did you hear about specific problems? It's weird to offer answers to a such a vaguely defined question.

There's a workshop mod that gives you more skill points for each your generals and agents each time they level. It's useful and pretty balanced. That workshop page also has a bunch of links to a few other basic mods that are pretty good. They fix the underwhelming parts of vanilla, like general's combat skills, fortifications, or whatever.

Some people say that the occupation resistance mod improves the AI and forces it to actually garrison its towns better. I don't know if it's true or not.

Otherwise, the only other mods I use are cosmetic.

No idea, someone from the Steam thread mentioned the vanilla campaign's wonky.

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah some of the stuff in the original campaign is a little rough compared to Rise&Fall otS and never got fixed, but there is mods for everything.
Maybe read a guide before playing a serious round about when the Realm Divide triggers, and how it fucks you over :smith:

I also agree that Rome 2 is a gigantic turd. I got it a few weeks ago from the 15$ Humble and can't stand playing it. Even the world map that was so gorgeous in Shogun2 looks like grainy, laggy poop that spins all my computer fans into a frenzy just sitting there idly. The performance after 17 patches is just sad.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
FotS and particularly RotS were both polished to a mirror shine, whereas Vanilla wasn't. But it's really not janky or anything. And yeah like that other guy said, when you look past the cosmetic similarities, it actually has the most diverse unit types out of any total war game.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

No idea, someone from the Steam thread mentioned the vanilla campaign's wonky.

I don't agree with the heavy handed realm divide and some of the vanilla buildings, like the market chain upgrades crippling your food supply. Rise of the Samurai seems to fix most of that but I didn't have much time to play it yet :unsmith:
No reason to worry, it's a fantastic TW game no matter which of the 3 periods you prefer.
Rise/Fall are more polished yeah ^^

If you're reading this because S2 is the steam daily, make sure to grab the Nov 2012 Collection and not the naked base game.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 10, 2016

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
The only real common complaint about Shogun 2 vanilla campaign is the Realm Divide mechanic.

In a standard length game, Realm Divide will trigger at ~15 provinces (if not already going) and always when you take Kyoto (This is important as it can cause some behavior I'll cover later). Realm Divide causes every faction in the game to take a diplomatic hit with you that gets worse with every ongoing turn. The net effect is that roughly half of Japan will declare war on you and the rest will follow in a few turns. Trade income is exceptionally lucrative because of this (it's a trade-off between reliable lesser money of taxation and the volatile trade income) and so quite a few people lean very heavily on trade to finance basically everything. Obviously when everyone goes to war with you, all your trade income evaporates basically at once which is actually really recoverable, it's just not recoverable without sacrificing a few provinces while you retool. People tend to restart through, although you know Realm Divide is coming the game does a quite poor job of letting you know exactly what the event itself is going to entail.

Everyone, including vassals and your most loyal allies will turn on you, it's just a question of when. However, vassals created AFTER Realm Divide won't get the diplomatic penalty and will stay as loyal as vassals pre Realm Divide. As you can imagine, by making vassals you can quickly re-establish your trade income and get the ball rolling again even if you were quite trade dependent. Now, remember how I mentioned Realm Divide triggers at both ~15 provinces and always when you take Kyoto? If you are in Realm Divide from the 15 provinces size and then take Kyoto later, vassals that you created after Realm Divide started will get the Realm Divide penalty, but the game won't tell you that's happened. Vassals created after Realm Divide are incredibly reliable as long as you don't take Kyoto (as long as they were created by capturing a province and selecting Create Vassal rather than through Diplomacy). Diplomatically created vassals are always unreliable in Realm Divide.

As a game mechanic intended to recreate the challenge of starting out in a Total War game it does it really well, but the complete lack of information provided to the player about it causes a lot of people to feel like the game sucker-punched them with a cheap shot rather than the "final boss" style event it actually is.

Vanilla Shogun 2 is absolutely fantastic out of the box without mods, as is Rise and Fall.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Interesting. Now somebody here pick up that 7 Years War game on STEAM and tell us their thoughts.

It is oddly fascinating how the 'yo gently caress you CA!' indie developers stuff turns out.

I loaded up The Seven Years War (1756-1763). I noticed that the game will default to using your processor's built-in graphics unit for rendering, and you need to manually direct it to using your GPU.

The strategic map works in real time, like a paradox game. Army movement is warscape-style, but a little jankier. There's an economy that I don't understand at all, but I think if I play a game as Britain I could get away with ignoring it.

There are a few minor states that build armies, and then there are little buildings labelled "Highlanders", or "Basks", that supposedly represent 18th century non-state actors. Of course, Native Americans are featured in this way. You interact with them in exactly the same way, so you can sabotage Serbs, Scots, or Natchez by giving them "firewater". If you ally yourself with them they were supposedly attack enemy supply lines and act as a recruitment pool for a skirmisher unit.

I don't think I've played enough of the campaign to say more. It seems that manpower is an important component, much like a Paradox game, and units are expensive and difficult to replace. Sieges are represented by their own little mini-game, it's nifty. You will fight battles if two armies bump into each other's area of influence.

The tactical battles are closer to UC than Total War. There is some built-in delay where units can't handle too many orders at once. If the game has hotkeys, I haven't learned them, but the basic unit abilities are there, like changing formation, switching to melee, etc.

Battles have a much slower pace, and the graphics are very low. You're basically fighting with the sprites you see when you zoom out in a TW battle. The AI seems unfortunately stupid and gladly suicides their cavalry into prepared infantry. Movement is a little awkward because all your commands are tracked unless you cancel them separately.

Probably not worth buying imo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ah, well a shame. Seems rather dry and leaning towards old school TW/Paradox for those who like that sort of thing.

Amusing to hear about the suicidal horsemen though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The tactical battles are closer to UC than Total War.

What's UC?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
So I'm currently in the middle of a good Rhun campaign in Third Age with the MOS submod. Basically I always thought Rhun was loving awesome and I wanted to roleplay them as the good guys. I made alliances with Dale, the Dwarves and Gondor. I backstabbed Mordor and paid off Harad so i'm hoping they will stay neutral. So far it's been pretty difficult, my only city that produces my elite units is my capital and the recruitment is really slow but holy gently caress do I love cleansing orc FILTH with my golden dudes. Have some screenshots of a battle I just did against the god damned Witch King.

Here is my badass faction leader with like +7 hit points and my only "elite" stack that is supposed to hold off Mordor.

Golden battleline against stinking orc rabble.

Surrounding the trash.

Lich King having a bad time.

Can you spot him?

Easterling cav is fast, deadly and beautiful.

I basically only took 200 casualties to Mordor's complete destruction. Of course the Witch King will spawn again eventually, now to replenish and push into Mordor from the east while Gondor(who has The Ring) pushes in from the west. I was kinda forced to betray Mordor too fast for my tastes but I had nowhere else to expand to without attacking Dale or Harad, which would have been a nightmare considering just how far away my capital is. If you want to do this (playing a faction in a different way, say evil Elves or some poo poo, just disable the locked diplomacy script when MOS asks you if you want it.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 10, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

UC: Gettysburg is the game that Darth of Dathmod made when he decided to branch off from modding. It's actually quite fun but the documentation is a bit spare.

TW battles are defined by how individual models in each unit do the "fighting", and unit numbers are counted from how many models are "alive. UC has units represented in abstract terms where a unit's graphic is attached to a number.

Seven Years War has unit graphics that look like maybe 6 guys in a regiment, which isn't great. They're very low-res as well. UC: Gettysburg does a much better job in modelling scale, but they both have the same concept.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I think we all got confused because it's UG, for "Ultimate General."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the documentation is less "spare" and more "absent". Darth or one of the devs did write a steam guide that detailed some things, but man, hes got a real patronizing tone, like he genuinely believes his game is such an approximation of reality that any confusion on a players part is a lack of "common sense" or somesuch.

im going to guess the inability to completely switch off the "helpful" ai assistance meant to mitigate babysitting by having your units do things like wander out of high cover, into other units, is bourne from a similar sort of "how could you not understand my perfect logic" sentiment. the ability to disable it would mean acknowledging it's limitations.

I've kind of given up trying to like it. But people generally enjoy it so w/e.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

I think we all got confused because it's UG, for "Ultimate General."

lol whoops

The Seven Years War game hit me with some bugs where none of my units would attack, and then crashed the game. Think it's a solid don't buy.

Edit: At some point, the fog-of-war effects on the campaign map were replaced by sprites of musketeers of varying density.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Either Shogun 2 with patches/FotS is really well optimized, or Attila is really poorly optimized. Or both.

I can run FotS with Ultra settings, MSAA, 16x AF and SweetFX at a steady smooth fps on a GTX 660, while Attila will chug along at 10 fps with similar settings. :stare:

I'm almost disappointed because I'm testing this out while waiting for my new GTX 970 and now I have slightly less of an excuse for spending the money on the upgrade.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Either Shogun 2 with patches/FotS is really well optimized, or Attila is really poorly optimized. Or both.

I can run FotS with Ultra settings, MSAA, 16x AF and SweetFX at a steady smooth fps on a GTX 660, while Attila will chug along at 10 fps with similar settings. :stare:

I'm almost disappointed because I'm testing this out while waiting for my new GTX 970 and now I have slightly less of an excuse for spending the money on the upgrade.

I just bought a 970 and I couldn't ever get Attila past ~40 fps. Forget running everything on ultra

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I wouldn't worry about graphics in Attila anyway, higher graphics is just a way to make all the brown colors extra brown.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 11, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mazz posted:

I wouldn't worry about graphics in Attila anyway, higher graphics is just a way to make all the brown colors extra brown.

Is it as bad as Empire where anything less than Ultra would result in an army of clean shaven clones and a sprite draw distance of twenty yards?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Yeah Rome 2 and Attila doesn't even look as good as Shogun 2 on ultra does. Yet runs much worse. CA brilliance. The fact that even the best cards can't get Attila above 40-50 fps shows how CPU bound and poorly optimized it is.

Is there no way to toggle "total" unit quality - i.e. no LOD, full quality on all units even when zoomed out? I remember it was possible in Medieval 2 by editing the settings ini file.

edit: vvvv
Ah, I only played Rome 2 for a few hours on launch and swore never to touch it again. :D

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 11, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Rome 2 runs fine these days and definitely looks newer than Shogun 2 (though it's way less colorful), it's just that they did something funky with Attila. It runs like crap for everyone.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
The best I can manage running Attila on a big-ish battle/siege is a super choppy ~30fps with poo poo texture settings and everything else cranked to max to compensate, i5 4690/16GB ram/GTX 970. Everything actually looks like a potato.

but yeah Rome II runs really well in comparison for my setup.

e: I should also say that others with my exact setup have claimed 60fps/max settings across the board with my specs, gently caress knows how they did it though because they aren't telling me

Frankly fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 11, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Frankly posted:

The best I can manage running Attila on a big-ish battle/siege is a super choppy ~30fps with poo poo texture settings and everything else cranked to max to compensate, i5 4690/16GB ram/GTX 970. Everything actually looks like a potato.

but yeah Rome II runs really well in comparison for my setup.

e: I should also say that others with my exact setup have claimed 60fps/max settings across the board with my specs, gently caress knows how they did it though because they aren't telling me

Why wouldn't you turn textures to the highest or semi highest and turn down some other stuff like shadows and terrain instead?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's good to know that Attila has this crappy performance, I want to get a new gaming laptop and was thinking to play Attila while waiting for Total Warhammer, guess gonna skip that and play Shogun/Rome.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Why wouldn't you turn textures to the highest or semi highest and turn down some other stuff like shadows and terrain instead?

For me it seems to be a lot more choppy in bigger battles. I'll be switching back to high textures/lower terrain etc soon anyway as it looks so much better.

Frankly fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In two years time you'll be able to max everything out with the game no problem!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Lobster posted:

It's good to know that Attila has this crappy performance, I want to get a new gaming laptop and was thinking to play Attila while waiting for Total Warhammer, guess gonna skip that and play Shogun/Rome.

Attila is seriously good if you can handle bad performance issues.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It doesn't even run thaat bad, it's just noticeably worse than it should be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are army skills in Attila identical across the board for all factions, just with different names? Because I usually play northern factions and I never ever take an army that does not have 100% Winter Attrition immunity.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I believe each culture type has their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Bogarts posted:

I believe each culture type has their own.

this is correct, some of the army traits are largely recycled (eg raiding, morale boost vs x culture group, etc) but they generally have a lot of their own. I don't remember the huns having snow immunity for example