Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Duke of the Bump posted:

Is there a megathread for recipes that keep and reheat particularly well? I'm looking for lunch ideas for work. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm sick to death of salads.

You could set aside an afternoon and cook a ton of pierogi, egg rolls, wontons, tamales, or other self-contained foods and then freeze them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

endlessmonotony posted:

I've got brain damage. It's resulted in me being infomercial-level clumsy.

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. My father experienced this and it was a difficult time for him as well as my mom. Luckily, he has recovered much of his personality and abilities. I wish the best for you.

Is it possible for you to enlist the help of friends and relatives to come over and cook with you sometimes? Then you could enjoy some of the forbidden luxuries like 'hot things', get things done faster, and have a bit of social interaction.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

spankmeister posted:

Is there like a be all end all recipe for red beans and rice? I've never had it and I see it come up all the time so it must be good.

Well I've brought it up like 4 times in the past week just because I'm craving it, so they might all be me bringing it up. Anyway, the recipe I use is here: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I made the Hakata Ramen from the wiki and have plenty of the chasu broth left from the other night. Trouble is I have no more meat from that night and need to cook more. I'm curious, should I make another round of the chasu, cook the new meat with the old chasu, or cook the meat in some other manner? I've got pork tenderloin this time was was considering doing a honey/soy mixture and stir frying the pork before adding it to the ramen. Any better ideas? Is there a reason this one is bad?

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen,

I require advices, inputs and suggestion on the matter on black pudding and blood sausage.

Would anyone recommend pimping the basic recipee of onion, oatmeal, porc fat and allspice? Is so, how? What fun and joyous spices/herbs do you put in there?

I've heard its good with glazed fruits (grapes, apple) and potatoes. Anything else?

Forever in your debts,

~ Iggore.

e: Is there an existing thread about this?

Iggore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 11, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is/Was there a thread about juicing?

I'm in the market for a juicer but I'm not sure if I'm wanting a $150 centrifugal juicer, or a $300 masticating juicer (or something better). I'm not familiar enough with the differences and operation to make a real decision, but I would be juicing all sorts of things--fruit, kale, ginger, oranges, beets, berries, etc.

I've heard some are fast, some are slow but more efficient, different kinds are easier to clean, etc. Is there a resource for this somewhere?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a good way to reheat fresh egg pasta? It'd be really convenient to just roll out and cook a mess of pasta and then reheat it somehow in the work microwave.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a good way to reheat fresh egg pasta? It'd be really convenient to just roll out and cook a mess of pasta and then reheat it somehow in the work microwave.

I think throwing a bit of water in the bottom and slapping a loose lid on should do the trick. Basically do a quick steam.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is/Was there a thread about juicing?

I'm in the market for a juicer but I'm not sure if I'm wanting a $150 centrifugal juicer, or a $300 masticating juicer (or something better). I'm not familiar enough with the differences and operation to make a real decision, but I would be juicing all sorts of things--fruit, kale, ginger, oranges, beets, berries, etc.

I've heard some are fast, some are slow but more efficient, different kinds are easier to clean, etc. Is there a resource for this somewhere?

Are you looking to actually just get juice, or the fruit/veggie pulp as well? I see juicing as a bit of a waste, and you lose out on all the fiber and nutrients that remain in the plant itself. My wife makes smoothies in our Ninja blender. It's powerful enough to turn it into a homogeneous mix, easily drinkable. Yesterday she made one with a couple oranges, a banana, a frozen fig, some frozen strawberries, an overripe pear, a bunch of spinach, some almond milk, and some chia seeds. She gave me a sip and I was astounded at how good it tasted.

Juicers are for chumps. Make smoothies.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Midniter posted:

Are you looking to actually just get juice, or the fruit/veggie pulp as well? I see juicing as a bit of a waste, and you lose out on all the fiber and nutrients that remain in the plant itself. My wife makes smoothies in our Ninja blender. It's powerful enough to turn it into a homogeneous mix, easily drinkable. Yesterday she made one with a couple oranges, a banana, a frozen fig, some frozen strawberries, an overripe pear, a bunch of spinach, some almond milk, and some chia seeds. She gave me a sip and I was astounded at how good it tasted.

Juicers are for chumps. Make smoothies.

MY GIRLFRIEND loves the fresh juices from places like Whole Foods, but they're not cheap. I'm looking for something to give me similar results, whether it's a blender, juicer, whatever. She's especially in to their orange juice (and smilier mixtures, like carrot ginger).

I probably wouldn't use the pulp for anything specifically, so no like veggie pulp meatballs or anything.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The brined beans really made the difference. Prob best red beans I've made.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tots posted:

Oh nice, I've never mashed the beans before. Gonna give that a go next time.

I do that as well. I just take out about 1/3 of the beans and mash em up till they get fairly smooth then toss em back in.

Also seconding the gumbo pages red beans recipe. It's solid. I end up making mine pretty similar to the one Hollis posted but have also do a straight vegan prep for mine sometimes that comes out really well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, the mashing is important it's what leads to that creamyness because the mashed up beans eventually soak up the water a bit. Almost like flour or a roux would thicken a soup.

It works with any bean as far as I know. I cook this the same way with a white bean as well. Just couldn't find any at the grocery store.

That Works posted:

I do that as well. I just take out about 1/3 of the beans and mash em up till they get fairly smooth then toss em back in.

Also seconding the gumbo pages red beans recipe. It's solid. I end up making mine pretty similar to the one Hollis posted but have also do a straight vegan prep for mine sometimes that comes out really well.

What's the vegetarian method? Same method but just no meat?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 12, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, the mashing is important it's what leads to that creamyness because the mashed up beans eventually soak up the water a bit. Almost like flour or a roux would thicken a soup.

It works with any bean as far as I know. I cook this the same way with a white bean as well. Just couldn't find any at the grocery store.

What's the vegetarian method? Same method but just no meat?

Yeah don't use any stock or use vegetable stock if you like. I've done it either way and it came out good.

I end up adding in a little more garlic and cumin, maybe a little bit of soy sauce or maggi if it still tasted kinda thin. It's a nice dish because it's drat near as good as the original and you can add in some grilled sausage if you want and also make a bunch of it. If I am cooking for a big group and know there will be vegans / vegetarians attending for like a BBQ or something it's a good thing to have on hand for people.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Iggore posted:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I require advices, inputs and suggestion on the matter on black pudding and blood sausage.

Would anyone recommend pimping the basic recipee of onion, oatmeal, porc fat and allspice? Is so, how? What fun and joyous spices/herbs do you put in there?

I've heard its good with glazed fruits (grapes, apple) and potatoes. Anything else?

Forever in your debts,

~ Iggore.

e: Is there an existing thread about this?

Being from Lancashire I find this designation of Black Pudding as a superfood to be a bit surreal! Still if the world catches on the sublime flavour of it, it's all good.

A classic combo is Black pudding and Scallops with pea puree. So good. Google around for recipes.
It's also common as part of a Full English Breakfast in the North West of England.
Lots of recipes are starting to pop up all over the place now that it's becoming trendy. A lot of them use it in places where other sausage or sausage meat could be used.
Of course you could just eat it the way I did as a child and just fry a couple of slices, add a fried egg and some HP brown sauce and you're good to go.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 12, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Funny we were just discussing wings... we are having a wing-off at work next week. I'm thinking baking would actually be best since they have to be reheated for lunchtime? How would you go about this? Bake plain wings in the evening (no saucing), then since I get to work 2 hours before said cook-off, put the wings and sauce in a crockpot on high?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
without an oven I can't think of how anyone would serve wings that haven't lost their crunch. sounds awful tbh.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

psychokitty posted:

Funny we were just discussing wings... we are having a wing-off at work next week. I'm thinking baking would actually be best since they have to be reheated for lunchtime? How would you go about this? Bake plain wings in the evening (no saucing), then since I get to work 2 hours before said cook-off, put the wings and sauce in a crockpot on high?
It sounds like the best way to win that wing-off is to not participate.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

dy. posted:

It sounds like the best way to win that wing-off is to not participate.

2nd this.

Or do "boneless wings" which is just breast meat cut in small chunks with a decent breading. They are less terrible when they're a soggy mess than traditional wings. Doing a flour > egg > flour dip with some seasoning should do the trick. If it were me I'd do that, then bring them in and reheat the boneless bites and sauce separately in a microwave or whatever, then combine and toss before serving.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I want to make some brown chicken stock but I don't have any chicken bones. Options?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hahaha yeah I think maybe whoever came up with the wing-off was high. I have to try it. I like trying things. But I will not cheat with boneless "wings."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

indoflaven posted:

I want to make some brown chicken stock but I don't have any chicken bones. Options?

TBH, get some chicken bones, I'm not seeing another way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You could use chicken meat and it would be tasty but would be missing the nice texture that comes from simmering bones (bones provide gelatin)

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Has anyone here made hand-pulled noodles? It looks kinda fun but I don't know anything about it and if it's worth the effort.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

hogmartin posted:

Has anyone here made hand-pulled noodles? It looks kinda fun but I don't know anything about it and if it's worth the effort.
I have used virtually every method I've ever seen posted, described, written about, or depicted online. I've never been able to produce hand-pulled noodles that aren't merely adequate.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

SubG posted:

I have used virtually every method I've ever seen posted, described, written about, or depicted online. I've never been able to produce hand-pulled noodles that aren't merely adequate.

Thanks, that's kind of what I suspected.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

hogmartin posted:

Thanks, that's kind of what I suspected.
Yeah. Not saying not to try it---you might have better luck. But it's always been one of those things where I feel like I'm not making it as well as I can get it at a good specialty place. Unlike, I dunno, baguette. Where I did pretty much the same thing---tried every recipe and method I could get my hands on, then made a couple baguettes a day for a few weeks, trying the different methods, fiddling around with the ones that worked better, trying to get a feel for what little changes result in a better or worse product, that kind of thing. And then at the end of it I felt like, yeah, I'm making a baguette that's pretty much exactly what I want. With hand-pulled noodles I can't seem to get past the yeah, that's an okay noodle, but... stage.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I often find myself feeling inadequate while I'm at home, alone, hand-pulling.

Does anyone know how to make these weird Romanian circle bread things?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Yeah. Not saying not to try it---you might have better luck. But it's always been one of those things where I feel like I'm not making it as well as I can get it at a good specialty place. Unlike, I dunno, baguette. Where I did pretty much the same thing---tried every recipe and method I could get my hands on, then made a couple baguettes a day for a few weeks, trying the different methods, fiddling around with the ones that worked better, trying to get a feel for what little changes result in a better or worse product, that kind of thing. And then at the end of it I felt like, yeah, I'm making a baguette that's pretty much exactly what I want. With hand-pulled noodles I can't seem to get past the yeah, that's an okay noodle, but... stage.

I was thinking about it in about the same way. Bread, I can knock out two good loaves in an afternoon, no problem and the house smells great. Croissants, I looked at a few recipes and imagined hours of folding butter and chilling dough and not coming anywhere near what I could get for a few bucks from a half-decent bakery. I was wondering where pulled noodles fell on the spectrum between "try it a few times and you'll figure out how to make something good" and "just let professional chefs or grandmothers make it, you aren't gonna get close unless you do it daily for years".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PRADA SLUT posted:

I often find myself feeling inadequate while I'm at home, alone, hand-pulling.

Does anyone know how to make these weird Romanian circle bread things?

I would imagine you just wrap dough around a Thing and bake it, then remove Thing once baking is done?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

I'm also glad you said this. Anytime I've seen someone pulling noodles by hand ( whether on TV or in real life), I think: drat they are making that look easy.

And having made pasta in various ways, I know it can't possibly be "that easy".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

I would imagine you just wrap dough around a Thing and bake it, then remove Thing once baking is done?

And grease the gently caress out of the thing before wrapping, yeah. Don't see how else you could do that.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm also glad you said this. Anytime I've seen someone pulling noodles by hand ( whether on TV or in real life), I think: drat they are making that look easy.

And having made pasta in various ways, I know it can't possibly be "that easy".

I would assume that's why the $10 pasta roller was invented.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good recipe for Spanish Rice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_rice

I fancy making some burritos this evening, and I don't really like beans too much.

hogmartin posted:

Croissants, I looked at a few recipes and imagined hours of folding butter and chilling dough and not coming anywhere near what I could get for a few bucks from a half-decent bakery.

I tried once, and the hardest part was actually getting the butter into the correct shape and thickness. It was greasy and fiddly, and I probably didn't do a very good job of it. Once the actual butter/dough package has been made it's actually pretty simple, most of the time you're just doing other things while you wait for the dough to chill. The end result wasn't that great though, like you say, and it was a bit too much hassle for me to fancy putting in the practice to learn to really make good ones.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

AnonSpore posted:

A Hungarian ex-roommate used wine bottles. Probably not the safest method, but the dough was pretty thin and baked up quickly enough for the bottle to be fine V:shobon:V

Gerblyn posted:

I tried once, and the hardest part was actually getting the butter into the correct shape and thickness. It was greasy and fiddly, and I probably didn't do a very good job of it. Once the actual butter/dough package has been made it's actually pretty simple, most of the time you're just doing other things while you wait for the dough to chill. The end result wasn't that great though, like you say, and it was a bit too much hassle for me to fancy putting in the practice to learn to really make good ones.

I've been wanting to try because I'm stuck at home studying for exams anyway. If I'm going to get up at random intervals to vacantly stare at the contents of the fridge I might as well fold some dough while I'm there.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

PiratePing posted:

I've been wanting to try because I'm stuck at home studying for exams anyway. If I'm going to get up at random intervals to vacantly stare at the contents of the fridge I might as well fold some dough while I'm there.

Give it a shot. Laminated doughs are fun as hell. Just keep it chilled while you're working with it and let it rest enough between folds.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How is it feasible or practical for people to regularly make chicken stock? I have 1 lb of rotisserie chicken carcass in the fridge I was hoping to turn into stock. But when I look at recipes, they call for anywhere between 4 to 8 pounds of bird. Who regularly keeps that amount of a carcass around? Besides the expected carrots, onion and celery (all cheap enough), they also call for sprigs of fresh herbs which will cost at least six bucks or so. I can get boxed chicken broth for a few bucks.

I really want to start using homemade stock, but I don't see how it's feasible on a mostly economic level to do it vs store-bought stock.

For those of you who regularly make stock at home, how do you manage it? It seems impracticable to go to the store for a special trip to buy things for stock. Do some people just have everything on hand?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

How is it feasible or practical for people to regularly make chicken stock? I have 1 lb of rotisserie chicken carcass in the fridge I was hoping to turn into stock. But when I look at recipes, they call for anywhere between 4 to 8 pounds of bird. Who regularly keeps that amount of a carcass around? Besides the expected carrots, onion and celery (all cheap enough), they also call for sprigs of fresh herbs which will cost at least six bucks or so. I can get boxed chicken broth for a few bucks.

I really want to start using homemade stock, but I don't see how it's feasible on a mostly economic level to do it vs store-bought stock.

For those of you who regularly make stock at home, how do you manage it?

When you roast a chicken, after taking the meat off the bones, put the carcass in a baggie in the freezer. If you buy whole chicken wings to fabricate, cut off the wing tips and save those too, they're full of collagen. Spatchcock a bird? Freeze the backbone. Eventually your frozen chicken bits will be taking too much room in your freezer, then it's stock time. Skip the fresh herbs if need be. Most herbs can be grown easily indoors, so give that a shot if you want.

You can even do the same with your carrot/onion/celery trimmings. Freeze them for stock. Stock isn't something you should necessarily spend money to make. It's instead something that allows you to save money by using what would otherwise go to waste.

Lastly, don't bother with a recipe for stock. Take your frozen chicken parts and put them under the broiler until they develop some color. Dump them in your stock pot along with your veggies, maybe some peppercorns and herbs. Put enough water in to cover the whole mess and put it on the heat. A low simmer will give you the most flavor (won't lose as many volatile flavors to the air). Skim periodically. After several hours, turn off the heat. Strain. Chill. Defat. Then reduce it if you want and freeze it, either in ice cube trays or half pint or pint containers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can put your chicken bones in the freezer until you have a few. You can use cheaper dried herbs (especially the good stuff, like Penzey's or Spice House), which can be kept on hand for a long time and used for a lot of stuff. You could also start a windowsill herb garden if you're into it.

Mostly I do just buy it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I like the idea of a little herb garden just for this purpose. I'll get one started today.

I just wrapped up the carcass I have and put it in the freezer. I'll make stock another day when I have enough things stored up.