Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It just seems like a waste of money to have a passport for someone who doesn't really look like anyone yet, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You'll give the US government their $80 and you'll like it!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hooah posted:

It just seems like a waste of money to have a passport for someone who doesn't really look like anyone yet, I guess.

When I worked at Walgreen's we had tons of people bring in their babies for passport photos. Its always a nightmare because the kid wants to sleep, or cry, or eat and doesn't want to sit/lay there and look into the camera with their eyes open. The passport people are a little more lenient about how the passport looks but not by much; they will deny passports if the lighting or color is off by just a little.

Ask me about redoing passports done by fellow employees that are off center, blurry or yellow tinted.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hooah posted:

You can do the passport card, which is a bit cheaper, if you know you aren't planning to fly across borders anytime soon.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Is there a thread for asking how much something is worth? I found two DVD box sets in the garbage that work just fine and grabbed them, thinking one of my friends might want them, but saw that there were postings for $75 and $100 on ebay, and now I'm stumped, wondering if that person is asking too much or if there's some special condition behind it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneTwentySix posted:

Is there a thread for asking how much something is worth? I found two DVD box sets in the garbage that work just fine and grabbed them, thinking one of my friends might want them, but saw that there were postings for $75 and $100 on ebay, and now I'm stumped, wondering if that person is asking too much or if there's some special condition behind it.

Here's what you do: go back to your eBay search and click the "sold items" filter. That'll show you the price + shipping for all of that item that sold over the past two months, as well as how often they sold. The average price among those is what you should expect someone will buy it for, and if you only see one or two sold in there, be prepared to wait a while for someone to buy it.

Also check the photos in the sold listing. It'll help you determine the sort of conditions the auctions were in eg practically brand new Vs regular Vs pretty beat up.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I need to courier something across town. Can I call myself an UberX and hand them the item, and send them on their way, if I have the receiving party contact the Uber on arrival?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

photomikey posted:

I need to courier something across town. Can I call myself an UberX and hand them the item, and send them on their way, if I have the receiving party contact the Uber on arrival?

This sounds like a drug deal and/or terrorist plot on a cheap tv crime drama.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turtlicious posted:

Are their tricks to learning a language? Programs?

https://www.duolingo.com

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

photomikey posted:

If you have Uber in your town you probably have a courier service in your town.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

kedo posted:

If you have Uber in your town you probably have a courier service in your town.
That's sort of like saying "why use uber when you could just use a taxi?"

Uber would be $8 and get it there immediately. Courier service would be $40 and get it there before the end of the business day.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

photomikey posted:

That's sort of like saying "why use uber when you could just use a taxi?"

Uber would be $8 and get it there immediately. Courier service would be $40 and get it there before the end of the business day.

What tells you that the Uber guy would actually do it for $8 and actually get it there immediately though?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can Taskrabbit deliveries. A little more expensive than Uber, but they'll actually do it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Turtlicious posted:

Ah, do they also speaks Mandarin.
What? Do you think Japanese is a language in the same family as Chinese languages or something?

Basically, the effort required for learning a language depends on what language(s) you already know. If you're only a native English speaker, then roughly: Japanese will be harder than Russian, which will be harder than German or Spanish. There are threads for several languages in the language subforum.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A snow globe belonging to my wife started leaking. It's of the cheap Chinese crap variety. It has sentimental value to her.

Further investigation revealed the glass sphere separates from the wooden music box base. The glass sphere has a 2.5" rubberish stopper on it which is cracked and leaking. Removing it resulted in further cracks, I don't think it's fixable.

Amazon sells a cork stopper. I think it's meant to be at the top of a vessel, not the bottom... I'm unsure of its water proof-ness in contact with water all the time.

Will this work? Any alternate ideas?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Hot glue or some sort of sealant?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

photomikey posted:

Any alternate ideas?

Don't get sentimentally attached to cheap Chinese crap?

No but seriously the stuff inside the snow globe might not be pure water, so I wouldn't trust a cork. You should be able to find a rubber one pretty easily. I've seen stoppers that are basically a truncated cone where you cut out the right size for the stopper you want. Search "Widgetco rubber stopper" on Amazon.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Don't get sentimentally attached to cheap Chinese crap?

No but seriously the stuff inside the snow globe might not be pure water, so I wouldn't trust a cork. You should be able to find a rubber one pretty easily. I've seen stoppers that are basically a truncated cone where you cut out the right size for the stopper you want. Search "Widgetco rubber stopper" on Amazon.

Check the hardware aisle at Lowe's also, they sometimes have a random doodads drawer with stuff like this.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

The stuff inside the snow globe is currently nothing. Widgetco sells a variety of stoppers from their website, silicone, rubber, neoprene, etc. I picked a rubber one and ordered it. We'll see. Thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

The stuff inside the snow globe is currently nothing. Widgetco sells a variety of stoppers from their website, silicone, rubber, neoprene, etc. I picked a rubber one and ordered it. We'll see. Thanks!

You can also use silicone caulk to seal it up of the stopper isnt a perfect fit.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

The stuff inside the snow globe is currently nothing.

So what did it taste like?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is going on when I run into random unlocked wifi networks that I can connect to, but the internet still doesn't work if I connect to them?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Do those elastic chest harness brace type things that claim to help with posture improvement actually work?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

What is going on when I run into random unlocked wifi networks that I can connect to, but the internet still doesn't work if I connect to them?

Most likely it needs some sort of server-side approval, like a MAC address approved list.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

photomikey posted:

Amazon sells a cork stopper. I think it's meant to be at the top of a vessel, not the bottom... I'm unsure of its water proof-ness in contact with water all the time.
You must have seen bottles of wine before, right?

photomikey posted:

If you mix a dash of glycerin in there, the flakes will settle slower and be more attractive.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

spog posted:

You must have seen bottles of wine before, right?
Not with a 2.5" wide cork, installed by hand, at home, sitting upside down for years on end... no.

spog posted:

If you mix a dash of glycerin in there, the flakes will settle slower and be more attractive.
Thanks for the tip!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

bee posted:

Do those elastic chest harness brace type things that claim to help with posture improvement actually work?

Unless it works by causing you pain for slumping, it seems unlikely.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Crankit posted:

Unless it works by causing you pain for slumping, it seems unlikely.

It doesn't need to cause pain for it to be effective. A harness essentially conditions your CNS to keep good posture by making it slightly uncomfortable to slouch. It also keeps you in check and helps you recognize when you're slouching so you can consciously correct it. It's not going to fix extreme Kyphosis or anything, but for slight slouches, harnesses aren't a bad idea.

Honestly, just keeping a good posture in mind and correcting throughout the day works wonders. Once you make it a habit to keep your chest up, shoulders back, and stomach in, it starts to become second nature.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 11, 2016

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What do you call this type of speaker cable?

It has an RCA connector but on the other end are split cables that then each clip to the left channel port of the subwoofer. Same cable is used with the right channel.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Am I just being dense or are you asking whether bare wire is a type of connector?

e: What I mean is if you took a normal RCA cable and cut off one end with a pair of scissors, you'd have that cable...right?

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Jeza posted:

e: What I mean is if you took a normal RCA cable and cut off one end with a pair of scissors, you'd have that cable...right?
Yes.

Might be slightly hard to find an RCA connector on one end with bare wire on the other. Will probably be easier to find RCA on both ends - then just lop one end off and strip the wire.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Or just make one with bare wire?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm looking for a new lunchbox for work since the one I have now is coming apart at all the seams. Anyone have a recommendation for something that will keep my food hot/cold and stand up to being tossed around a bit?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone reserved a space at a bar or a club with a drink / food minimum before? I'm thinking about reserving this 60 person max spot for my birthday in a few weeks but the drink minimum is $800 with a $200 fee for the space. Seems like $800 is a lot and I'm worried about potentially not meeting it and I'm just imagining the worst case scenario where the 50+ people I invited only 20 people end up coming....

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm looking for a new lunchbox for work since the one I have now is coming apart at all the seams. Anyone have a recommendation for something that will keep my food hot/cold and stand up to being tossed around a bit?

I use a lululemon bag. It's lasted like seven years now.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone reserved a space at a bar or a club with a drink / food minimum before? I'm thinking about reserving this 60 person max spot for my birthday in a few weeks but the drink minimum is $800 with a $200 fee for the space. Seems like $800 is a lot and I'm worried about potentially not meeting it and I'm just imagining the worst case scenario where the 50+ people I invited only 20 people end up coming....

Unless you are a celebrity or it's a wedding, always assume that there will be people who say they are coming to a party but then don't because people are lazy and going out always sounds good in the future but less so when you are tired after working all week.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Minimums are often on one check. So if 20 people come and each spend $40, you are still $760 short of the total.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I have an old electric (aluminum, I guess) frying pan (a Sunbeam from like the '70's). On the bottom, it is stamped 1250W, and I'm assuming it's just a metal coil in it, not a gas tube or something, but I don't really know. I have a heat control/plug from another model, but this is 1550W. Can I safely use it with the 1250W pan? I presume it'll be hotter than indicated, but I can work around that. I just don't want it to melt or something equally unpleasant.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Zojirushi Mr Bento, unless you only eat like sandwiches and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

edit: nm