Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chumbler posted:

XCX has a functional main story, just not a very good one and not much beyond functional.

In XBC I felt like the exploration was driven by the story. I'm going from place to place because that's where the next bit leads me to. It's also all "new ground" for the main few characters and they're just as amazed by it as you are.

In XCX the story moves me around a lot of locations. It tells me that Mira is amazing and undiscovered but a lot of the time when I'm visiting a place for the first time it's part of a busywork quest and there's loads of stuff set up there already.

There's something about XCX's story that feels like I'm meeting a criteria to unlock a quest in the post-game of some open world thing. It's hard to completely describe beyond it feeling sort of like a MMOG. Do this quest to unlock X, do this quest to unlock Y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, there are lots of games for people who don't care about that. MMO's, roguelikes, the entire Monster Hunter franchise. But there are also many that are benefited by their stories, and that is why they are enjoyed by people who need context for their actions. Xenoblade was one of the latter. XCX is one of the former. The disparity is unpleasant to many people.

And I'd understand that if people were not complaining about doing the exact same things they were doing in Xenoblade. Like "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay and I just stuck with it for the plot" makes sense to me. "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay but the plot made collecting 9 blue crystals fun" doesn't, especially because the sidequests are given among the least context and plot-weight in the entire game. Xenoblade X actually gives a lot more plot-weight and focus to sidequests by actually trying to build them into coherent storylines which Xenoblade almost completely drops the ball on because you never even get resolution to most of the sidequests in that game beyond "Mission Complete: Ron was very happy with his rat-asses."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

And I'd understand that if people were not complaining about doing the exact same things they were doing in Xenoblade. Like "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay and I just stuck with it for the plot" makes sense to me. "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay but the plot made collecting 9 blue crystals fun" doesn't

Tough luck, because that's what people are saying and it's a valid point of view. You may just want to move on!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oxxidation posted:

Tough luck, because that's what people are saying and it's a valid point of view. You may just want to move on!

They're called visual novels. They're not considered videogames.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're called visual novels. They're not considered videogames.

Shush, Taint Reaper, your scythe finds no purchase on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm still playing the game. If you hate it so much you dropped it why don't you move on instead?

Like what the gently caress, why are you being constantly a dick about this? You don't like the game but you want to talk about how terrible it is with ridiculous hyperbole and then you keep making weird snarky comments at me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

And I'd understand that if people were not complaining about doing the exact same things they were doing in Xenoblade. Like "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay and I just stuck with it for the plot" makes sense to me. "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay but the plot made collecting 9 blue crystals fun" doesn't, especially because the sidequests are given among the least context and plot-weight in the entire game. Xenoblade X actually gives a lot more plot-weight and focus to sidequests by actually trying to build them into coherent storylines which Xenoblade almost completely drops the ball on because you never even get resolution to most of the sidequests in that game beyond "Mission Complete: Ron was very happy with his rat-asses."

The side quests in Xenoblade unlock another line for characters to progress down, going from 3 to 5.
The side quests in Xenoblade also allow you to raise affinity for characters that have some personality.

I quite like the sidequests in XCX because they feel in the same vein but most of the characters have so little to them. It's such a strange decision since the characters were talked about SO MUCH for Xenoblade, I don't understand it at all.

And ImpAtom you're the one being weird and unreasonable. What you're saying isn't fact and you're acting like it is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm still playing the game. If you hate it so much you dropped it why don't you move on instead?

Like what the gently caress, why are you being constantly a dick about this? You don't like the game but you want to talk about how terrible it is with ridiculous hyperbole and then you keep making weird snarky comments at me.

I'm trying to find a way to keep you from making snide comments at everyone with the temerity to state something they did not like about this game, and I'm doing so with varying levels of politeness because it gets a little stressful trying to nibble down my arguments into sufficiently tiny and compact bits to penetrate your skull.

Since we're not getting anywhere, like I keep asking, you'd be better off not trying to get the last word for a change and just disengaging.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I mean it is a bit confusing why you're posting in a thread for a game you apparently hated and stopped playing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

This is like when people were complaining about the story to persona 4 Arena and how they hated that every major story event led towards the characters fighting.

They're missing the main point.

This is why Call of Duty is now a single pathway that you can't run off of during the main campaign. Because people want story and not actual gameplay. They would rather have Saving Private Waifu tell them about her rich backstory while they have limited control instead of going hell's Cannons and charging into an open field like in Doom.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm trying to find a way to keep you from making snide comments at everyone with the temerity to state something they did not like about this game, and I'm doing so with varying levels of politeness because it gets a little stressful trying to nibble down my arguments into sufficiently tiny and compact bits to penetrate your skull.

Plenty of people, including myself, have discussed things they dislike about the game. I have, in fact, agreed with you on things I think the game does wrong. In fact the crux of my arguments has not been "Xenoblade Chronicles X is great" but "Xenoblade isn't that great, and a lot of what Xenoblade X does has a lot in common with Xenoblade's flaws."

Like this entire stupid thing started because you tried to claim it was factually true that everyone in the game but Lin is an emotionless monotone PS2-quality voice actor and I disagreed with that and you acted like I was making some insane statement that nobody could believe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 11, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

I mean it is a bit confusing why you're posting in a thread for a game you apparently hated and stopped playing.

Because ImpAtom is replying to other people with "no sorry the idea that you're playing a game for a story is wrong".
It's not about the original point of the voice acting any longer.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Taear posted:

Because ImpAtom is replying to other people with "no sorry the idea that you're playing a game for a story is wrong".

Playing a videogame for the story is like going to a movie for the special effects.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I did not say that though. I in fact said the exact opposite?

ImpAtom posted:

. And I can certainly understand playing a game whose gameplay annoys me because I like the characters and plot. It's basically what carries me through Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Considering how long Xenoblade X's cutscenes are, I think it's actually very reasonable and fair to want the story they're telling to be worth a drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Considering how long Xenoblade X's cutscenes are, I think it's actually very reasonable and fair to want the story they're telling to be worth a drat.

Absolutely. The core plot in Xenoblade X is terrible and I spent the vast majority of my gameplay in Chapter 9 once I got the flight module and I think I only progressed because I wanted Nagi's higher-tier affinity quest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

You didn't play Xenosaga.

it had intermission save states. And that story was poo poo just like Xenogears.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

By the way if you have kids you should play this with them. It started out as the "dinosaur game" and is now the "robot game" where we "hunt" the "dinosaurs" for "meat" followed by excited comments about how it's "nice we have a license now to drive a robot car".

Several pages back but yeah this game is great with kids. My 4-year-old daughter is obsessed with dinosaurs so all of the indigens are apparently robot dinosaurs, e.g. duogills are flying robot plesiosaurs. It's okay to fight indigens, but only if they're "mean". Whether or not a robot dinosaur is nice or mean is totally random, and when she finally decides upon a mean robot dinosaur for me to fight it's usually the resident level 90 Tyrant that will push my poo poo in

I let her redesign my character and now I'm a blue lady with a butterfly tattoo on my face, and she chose the bikini for fashion gear so she can go swimming. She turned my barracks and mechs into a kaleidoscope of mismatched colors that hurts the eyes.

While I was driving around Oblivia I got distracted and accidentally drove off a cliff into the abyss. My daughter thought it was the most hilarious thing and ordered me to do it again. A couple minutes later my insurance was all used up :rip:

Taear posted:

The side quests in Xenoblade unlock another line for characters to progress down, going from 3 to 5.
The side quests in Xenoblade also allow you to raise affinity for characters that have some personality.

I quite like the sidequests in XCX because they feel in the same vein but most of the characters have so little to them. It's such a strange decision since the characters were talked about SO MUCH for Xenoblade, I don't understand it at all.

And ImpAtom you're the one being weird and unreasonable. What you're saying isn't fact and you're acting like it is.

The side quests in XBC were a means to an end. You did a ton of terrible boring quests to boost area affinity to unlock the few quests that actually mattered.
I prefer X's side quests (the NPC quests, not the basic missions) because the content and NPC's involved are pretty enjoyable, the objectives are (usually) better, and your decision making during the quests can alter the outcome and get people killed. I mean, I just got a quest from an Orphean to sabotage a Ma-non's election campaign. This is way more entertaining than grinding collectibles for that Nopon on the Bionis rear end, which is what the vast majority of XBC's quests were like.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

Are they even that long? Granted I'm only on chapter 7 but compared to the original, X has next to nothing in the way of cutscenes. X's story is definitely stunted compared to Xenoblade and I'm thinking they wanted to have the main story have as little impact to the exploration pieces of the game. The original was much more linear and managed to skirt around major story plots not affecting the game too much outside, y'know, having specific locations completed destroyed.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Are they even that long? Granted I'm only on chapter 7 but compared to the original, X has next to nothing in the way of cutscenes. X's story is definitely stunted compared to Xenoblade and I'm thinking they wanted to have the main story have as little impact to the exploration pieces of the game. The original was much more linear and managed to skirt around major story plots not affecting the game too much outside, y'know, having specific locations completed destroyed.

X's cutscenes are definitely shorter and less frequent. I blew through the later chapters in under 10 minutes.

Unless they're counting the affinity mission dialogue as cut scenes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I dunno which are longer, but X's feel longer since there's a lot of just standing around and occasionally some battle posing as opposed to more cinematic camera work and actual motion in XC's cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Whether or not a robot dinosaur is nice or mean is totally random, and when she finally decides upon a mean robot dinosaur for me to fight it's usually the resident level 90 Tyrant that will push my poo poo in

It sounds like she has an extremely good grasp over what is mean.

Louisgod posted:

They're really really long for what they are. They convey very little information and tend to have characters repeating the same poo poo over and over again but they take a very long time to do it. If you could click through the conversation as fast as you read them they'd be a lot more tolerable. It doesn't help that the bulk of them are just characters standing around staring at each other.

I'm pretty sure Xenoblade's are longer but they're better directed and paced.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

U-DO Burger posted:

She turned my barracks and mechs into a kaleidoscope of mismatched colors that hurts the eyes.

You can't say something like this and not post screenshots!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

They're really really long for what they are. They convey very little information and tend to have characters repeating the same poo poo over and over again but they take a very long time to do it. If you could click through the conversation as fast as you read them they'd be a lot more tolerable. It doesn't help that the bulk of them are just characters standing around staring at each other.

Honestly I think that's way more of a translation issue than anything else. The Ateleir games do this as well where poo poo seems over explained because they're trying to very accurately time the english with the Japanese because stuff is coded that way.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hm. They may not actually be especially long scenes, but the characters pause for a long time between each line, they barely animate, and the camera usually does nothing. That certainly ramps up the "I'm trapped in an interminable hell" factor, as a player.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

U-DO Burger posted:

Several pages back but yeah this game is great with kids. My 4-year-old daughter is obsessed with dinosaurs so all of the indigens are apparently robot dinosaurs, e.g. duogills are flying robot plesiosaurs. It's okay to fight indigens, but only if they're "mean". Whether or not a robot dinosaur is nice or mean is totally random, and when she finally decides upon a mean robot dinosaur for me to fight it's usually the resident level 90 Tyrant that will push my poo poo in

I let her redesign my character and now I'm a blue lady with a butterfly tattoo on my face, and she chose the bikini for fashion gear so she can go swimming. She turned my barracks and mechs into a kaleidoscope of mismatched colors that hurts the eyes.

While I was driving around Oblivia I got distracted and accidentally drove off a cliff into the abyss. My daughter thought it was the most hilarious thing and ordered me to do it again. A couple minutes later my insurance was all used up :rip:

My daughter knows to keep an eye out for the "red eye" on whether enemies are mean or not. "I don't see a red eye so that one must be nice!".. the thunderbolt is a strange one since it doesn't always illicit a response.

My mech's currently fully flamingo pink. I forgot about decorating the inside of the bunker, I'll have to get her to give me some suggestions there but the avatar's off limits, I don't want to have to go through the skimpy and idiotic outfits women wear in this game.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Xenoblade's are longer but they're better directed and paced.

Got it, yeah, I agree with that. They're long because they drag due to nothing of substance being said or done. The first game's cinematography in general was also really well done whereas in this game it seems non-existent. When cinematography IS done, it's really great and smooth, especially with the cool blurring effect they have with this game and fast moving objects.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 11, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Got it, yeah, I agree with that. They're long because they drag due to nothing of substance being said or done. The first game's cinematography in general was also really well done whereas in this game it seems non-existent. When cinematography IS done, it's really great and smooth, especially with the cool blurring effect they have with this game and fast moving objects.

I'm not sure if dialogue is skippable for many of the voiced scenes, either, which doesn't help much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not sure if dialogue is skippable for many of the voiced scenes, either, which doesn't help much.

It isn't. The only thing you can do is skip the entire cutscene.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I play games mostly for the story AND I love XCX, so come at me bro, or something. If you can't get into it then you can't get into it but that doesn't make it objectively trash either?

Like yeah the main quest is kind of pointless but there's a great amount of interesting story threads and worldbuilding throughout the rest of the game and it just. keeps. coming. It is like crack to me, a person who wants to get lost in a setting, that I can still be unlocking new stories at 200 hours in when I haven't even bothered to finish the final chapter. They're not epic-sized, they're not "now we kill god" stories, but they're satisfying and sometimes even pretty emotional! & while it would be nice to have more actual party character scenes, even just paying attention to how they react to your decisions is really interesting in terms of characterization.

Also, XCX is, for the most part, an easy game, which means a lot of people get bored with messing with the gameplay. You will get bored if you just hammer the buttons, or look up the easiest build and play it. But you don't have to do that! It's a godsend for people who like to try wacky builds or constantly fiddle because of all the different gear/arts/skills to accommodate different playstyles. If you want to wear nothing but sunglasses and underwear while fighting tyrants only at night using a sleep build, that's a thing you can do! It's weird but fun!

Collectible gathering is still horseshit and I have nothing good to say about it probably ever, though, edit: I will take that back by mentioning I do love filling out the Collectipedia

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 11, 2016

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Collectible gathering is still horseshit and I have nothing good to say about it probably ever, though

I thought it was at first too, but then I discovered they made hidden areas that made all the collectables easy to get.

So if you have trouble tracking down a collectable it's probably because there's a hidden area for it that spawns it a crazy amount.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought it was at first too, but then I discovered they made hidden areas that made all the collectables easy to get.

So if you have trouble tracking down a collectable it's probably because there's a hidden area for it that spawns it a crazy amount.

Yeah I don't mind those but aren't they mostly caves? I think some of the more annoying things don't spawn in caves

Like is there an area for Jaharmum?

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 11, 2016

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yeah I don't mind those but aren't they mostly caves? I think some of the more annoying things don't spawn in caves

Some are, others are on ledges or in the ocean. The only annoying one that sticks out in my mind was the bandicoon in sylv.

But there's an area where those spawn frequently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
XCX is a good game in spite of itself in most aspects.

The world design is fantastic and there's awesome work done on making use of real basic modelling and textures to still make a pretty cool looking world, as well as having good layouts for engaging traversal as every level of movement, and a basic feel of functioning ecosystems you are entering into. But it can't really help you if you want a palette of stuff to do like an Ubisoft game, or a forwardly engaging environment like Bethesda or Witcher 3.

The minute to minute combat is kind of dumb in skells or on the ground, but there is a huge pool to jump into for the min maxing part, and if you like spending your time in menus crafting and slotting and shuffling, its great for that.

The main story was just kind of dumb, but side quests and affinity quests are not any worse than my Japanese Animes and can elicit genuine engagement if you haven't tuned it out because of the main story.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Like is there an area for Jaharmum?

Yup

South East ocean of cauldros has two areas that spawn them all around the hidden island there in the water

you can also pick them up around the center of cauldros and some are located on the actual suspended structures themselves. The Southern island of Cauldros with the cave is less than ideal place, so the water areas are much better and far more plentiful.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The one thing that the game gets absolutely right this time around is respawning collectibles after a fast travel. gently caress the search for ice cabbages and having to reset the game every time you needed to run across that mountain ridge in Valek again.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Surprisingly some of my favorite bits have been from the Prone, who I thought were just throwaway baddies in the beginning. All of the xenos have some really interesting stuff going on with them, I really hope we get more stuff that digs into their lore.

^
^
Thanks!

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 11, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder what the main theme of the game is.
Like one of Xenoblade's main themes was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 11, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Calaveron posted:

Like Xenoblade's main theme was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.
Post homeworld trans-speciesism.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yup

South East ocean of cauldros has two areas that spawn them all around the hidden island there in the water

you can also pick them up around the center of cauldros and some are located on the actual suspended structures themselves. The Southern island of Cauldros with the cave is less than ideal place, so the water areas are much better and far more plentiful.

Yeah going out into the wide ocean areas is surprisingly effective for collectible farming. It doesn't actually up the spawn rate for rares but you don't have to do all this jumping around and dodging aggro, it's just you and the waves, and they respawn very quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Calaveron posted:

Like Xenoblade's main theme was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.

"What makes someone human (or a person like other people) isn't about their body or biology" seems to be a pretty heavy theme

• Locked thread