Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I hope the camera bump never goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

flux fanatics are still going to piss and moan because somehow someway nightshift won't be 100% exactly like flux

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cremnob posted:

apple just dropped a huge bomb
at least we're being honest now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

apples gonna sacrifice accessories everyone has to make the phone thinner, which no one asked for

so, looked at a retina macbook lately?

quote:

gonna be legit mad if i have to buy a 80 dollar dongle to use my headphones

been doing it for ethernet for four years already but at least it's $30

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

i need the keypunch card reader yesterday where do i get one

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

cremnob posted:

f.lux got sherlocked (rest in piss), multi-user support for ipads for education

apple only steals borrows adapts adopts the very best technologies from third parties

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
much like the dvd drive the 3.5mm port must die so future generations can be free

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

so, looked at a retina macbook lately?

yeah that was dumb as gently caress too future macbooks are def gonna have more ports

if you're referring to making it thinner it makes sense for a laptop because shaving that thickness actually translates to significant weight savings and the gain in aesthetics doesn't overly impact the functionality (barring loving retarded one port choice). with a phone literally nobody is going to notice that its 0.1mm thinner than other flagship phones, especially once they throw a case on because like t he 6 its going to be ridiculously prone to slipping out of your hand unless you cradle it with both hands all the time

quote:

been doing it for ethernet for four years already but at least it's $30

when apple ditched ethernet ports as standard wifi was already in every home. today almost nobody uses bluetooth headphones and there are literally zero lightning headphones or even lightning to line-out adaptors in existence

a better metaphor would be if apple decided to stop including wifi chips

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

literally zero lightning headphones
there's a couple

there's apparently even a lightning port headphone amp with a 3.5 mm output

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

lol @ multi user ios
its a good idea given the way ipads are shared by families and friends but it's ok if you don't understand (because you have neither an ipad nor people who love you)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i wouldn't say no one uses bluetooth headphones, they're pretty popular among fitness people and you can get decent ones now for :20bux:

we're just at the point right now where corded headphones are not gonna go away until there's a push to make them go away

zen death robot posted:

can't wait to have to recharge my wireless headphones on a long flight only then will i be truly free

mine worked fine on a four hour flight

i charged my phone, but all the new planes come with sockets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

its a good idea given the way ipads are shared by families and friends but it's ok if you don't understand (because you have neither an ipad nor people who love you)

un huh. so what gets sandboxed and what gets shared between users? do we need number of users*app storage use*every app on the system now?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i would presume the app binaries and other assets are shared whenever necessary and possible while each user gets his own core data etc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wait, are they seriously adding multi user support to ios?

ahahahaha tim got scared by some advertising again

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

if you're referring to making it thinner it makes sense for a laptop because shaving that thickness actually translates to significant weight savings and the gain in aesthetics doesn't overly impact the functionality (barring loving retarded one port choice). with a phone literally nobody is going to notice that its 0.1mm thinner than other flagship phones, especially once they throw a case on because like t he 6 its going to be ridiculously prone to slipping out of your hand unless you cradle it with both hands all the time

yeah true dat im not looking for my phone to be like selma from time trax

quote:

when apple ditched ethernet ports as standard wifi was already in every home. today almost nobody uses bluetooth headphones and there are literally zero lightning headphones or even lightning to line-out adaptors in existence

:agreed:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
schools got lots of funding to buy tech, but the device will always be in a classroom and shared by multiple classes. multiuser support means evne more of those grants go towards ios

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

apple: we still care about the educational market kinda sorta if it sells more ipads

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apple products probably won't leak your and your minor children's identities and likenesses, at least

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

i would presume the app binaries and other assets are shared whenever necessary and possible while each user gets his own core data etc

yeah, that's one assumption. of course at the moment apps aren't multi-user aware, so unless apple has been forcing them to store data in a way that makes it easy to sandbox per user, it won't be. so it'll be a crap shoot how any given app suddenly handles running on a multi user system when a single user was the basis for design

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

yeah that was dumb as gently caress too future macbooks are def gonna have more ports

lol why would he macbook have more ports in the future? it's an ultrabook why do u want more ports on it, buy a mbp if that's what u need.

6 does not slip out of hands, i do not use a case on mine and also do not drop it sorry you're hosed up

zen death robot posted:

can't wait to have to recharge my wireless headphones on a long flight only then will i be truly free

lol there are bluetooth cans which last for 50 hours where u flying idiot

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah, that's one assumption. of course at the moment apps aren't multi-user aware, so unless apple has been forcing them to store data in a way that makes it easy to sandbox per user, it won't be. so it'll be a crap shoot how any given app suddenly handles running on a multi user system when a single user was the basis for design
well since it's for education it'll probably be very limited and only those apps that incorporate the multiuser support will be able to be provisioned/installed on multiuser devices. or something. im sure they'll figure it out.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
boy it sure sounds like a hassle to have to charge your headphones after any period of time

what if we had, like, headphones that didn't need charging??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

or u just charge the headphones by plugging them into the phone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
today I learned using Bluetooth to play music from my iPhone over my car speakers works just fine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

good news! apple has been forcing apps to store data in a way that makes it easy to sandbox per user. its a direct result of their locked down security model, actually.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

good news! apple has been forcing apps to store data in a way that makes it easy to sandbox per user. its a direct result of their locked down security model, actually.

that is good news! the next hurdle is dealing with idiot app devs who hardcode paths instead of using environment variables, and deciding whether you want to have the os intercept those calls or just let the app blow up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

zen death robot posted:

i fly to tel-aviv for work stuff once in a while and it's a pretty long flight

well lucky for u there are wireless headphones with battery lives long enough to last a literal around the world flight

Stymie posted:

boy it sure sounds like a hassle to have to charge your headphones after any period of time

what if we had, like, headphones that didn't need charging??

agreed. other things that should revert back to wired like we are cavemen: mice and keyboards, phones themselves, games controllers, tv remotes, thinking about it the telegraph was p good actually wasn't it why'd we ever bother replacing that? kinda crazy that the advancnement of new tech leaves so many wires behind. rrip . long live wire

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
all p moot tho as its more likely they'd remove the port but stick to wired with an adapter so u can all calm down

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Music through Bluetooth is fine, direction on Waze or any other map service is impressively terrible for many car manufacturers. Jeep/Chrysler turn map announcements into a phone call with leading and trailing sounds, amazing stupid and loses part of the message. On some forums someone found that Bluetooth has separate audio and voice configuration but the systems has to be reconfigured every time you turn on the car. Awesome sauce.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
boy it sure sounds like a hassle to have to carry around all this extra junk to use with my phone, i mean i already have to carry a charger now i have to carry an adapter too?

wouldn't it be nice if you could just use headphones without needing any extra components that might get lost??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Stymie posted:

boy it sure sounds like a hassle to have to carry around all this extra junk to use with my phone, i mean i already have to carry a charger now i have to carry an adapter too?

wouldn't it be nice if you could just use headphones without needing any extra components that might get lost??

those headphones are called bluetooth headphones the adapter is for legacy users

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
can't believe ill have to carry a super drive with my macbook air everyday just put it in the laptop apple!!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

phones

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim will not rest until every aspect of the use of the iphone and ipad will require some sort of dongle or recharging

gotta drive them accessory sales and hardware refresh rates to prop up tanking sales numbers

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Stymie posted:

tim will not rest until every aspect of the use of the iphone and ipad will require some sort of dongle or recharging

gotta drive them accessory sales and hardware refresh rates to prop up tanking sales numbers

the iPhone 6 was the best selling iphone ever :confused:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the iphone 6s is merrily tanking however, and they've had to cut production as a result

and now, quelle surprise, they're preparing to launch a phone that walks back the terrible iphone 6 design

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
dunno if it's really a surprise the S model sells less? the 5 outsold the 5s so following the pattern I guess the 7 will make nerds even more mad and sell twice as much as the 6

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
also why would the walk back the design of their best selling handset ever in response that makes no sense.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Stux posted:

much like the dvd drive the 3.5mm port must die so future generations can be free

stux is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Music through Bluetooth is fine, direction on Waze or any other map service is impressively terrible for many car manufacturers. Jeep/Chrysler turn map announcements into a phone call with leading and trailing sounds, amazing stupid and loses part of the message. On some forums someone found that Bluetooth has separate audio and voice configuration but the systems has to be reconfigured every time you turn on the car. Awesome sauce.

If yo ubuy a Chrysler you should be drat thankful for any part of it that works

• Locked thread