Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Something I think most people need to realize is that when you decide to go after a character, you really should be going all in with him. Get them to 6* minimum, preferably 7*. Having a large roster of 4* does nothing for you at level 60 when people are fielding teams of 6-7*. For example a 4* Daka is near worthless. It's not until 6* she can start to take some hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Zotix posted:

Something I think most people need to realize is that when you decide to go after a character, you really should be going all in with him. Get them to 6* minimum, preferably 7*. Having a large roster of 4* does nothing for you at level 60 when people are fielding teams of 6-7*. For example a 4* Daka is near worthless. It's not until 6* she can start to take some hits.

I agree. I ended up leaving Daka and Phasma out of my team in Arena, because they just weren't bringing enough oomph to my team compared to more established characters.

That being said, though, I do think it's a good idea to start branching out to different characters in the high 40's/low 50's, rather than starring up characters you already have. I have a 6* Jawa that I really wish was a 5* Luke at this point. The long term benefit to having a really hard hitting DPS like FOTP, R Trooper, or IG88 or something outweighs the barrier to entry compared to keeping along your old dudes just because they've got higher star rankings. I have a 6* Jawa that I really wish was a 5* Luke at this point.

Just don't split shop rewards/farming. Pick Daka or Poe, and star them up to at least 6. Ditto for Lumi/Phasma.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

I agree. I ended up leaving Daka and Phasma out of my team in Arena, because they just weren't bringing enough oomph to my team compared to more established characters.

That being said, though, I do think it's a good idea to start branching out to different characters in the high 40's/low 50's, rather than starring up characters you already have. I have a 6* Jawa that I really wish was a 5* Luke at this point. The long term benefit to having a really hard hitting DPS like FOTP, R Trooper, or IG88 or something outweighs the barrier to entry compared to keeping along your old dudes just because they've got higher star rankings. I have a 6* Jawa that I really wish was a 5* Luke at this point.

Just don't split shop rewards/farming. Pick Daka or Poe, and star them up to at least 6. Ditto for Lumi/Phasma.

I need to 4-star my phasma so people stop targeting me as an easy win in Arena, after that, Lumi to 7*

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Christ, I've had some luck today.. just pulled a full Plo Koon from Bronzium, is he worth putting some TLC into, even to get him into a B- or C- level GW team?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Plo does very little damage with his aoe, so he's basically a single target buff remover and aoe defense boost. He's useful for the tank challenge and that's about it as far as I can tell.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I need some validation...

So I've been running Squad Arena's in an effort to get Darth Sid. Then running hard battles to get shards for Dooku and then the other individuals I have in my team roster like the Jedi Consular for example to star them up. Then I'm just running events and other things to get crap for upgrades.

Secondarily do they had bundles regularly? Worried I'm missing out on something with these starter bundles.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Christ, I've had some luck today.. just pulled a full Plo Koon from Bronzium, is he worth putting some TLC into, even to get him into a B- or C- level GW team?

Plo Koon is a dumpster fire. If you need a 5th slot for the tank challenge, level him up to about 45/gear level 4 and leave him there. Don't farm his shards.

Super 3 posted:

So I've been running Squad Arena's in an effort to get Darth Sid. Then running hard battles to get shards for Dooku and then the other individuals I have in my team roster like the Jedi Consular for example to star them up. Then I'm just running events and other things to get crap for upgrades.

Secondarily do they had bundles regularly? Worried I'm missing out on something with these starter bundles.

What level are you?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Spent my last made-up money from work, and pulled a Moff Tarkin.

Anyone know what his deal is?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Mooktastical posted:

Plo Koon is a dumpster fire. If you need a 5th slot for the tank challenge, level him up to about 45/gear level 4 and leave him there. Don't farm his shards.

What level are you?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Super 3 posted:

You can farm JC from Cantina battles also.

I only regularly do the Dooku farm right now, there's just not enough energy coming in to reliably farm more than 1-4 hard fights/day.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 11, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah farming shards from Hard battles is a slow and unreliable process. Which is why people tend to stick with characters that can be farmed up in other ways.

I really like Dooku so I'm doing his daily and sometimes I'll do Resistance Pilot. It's a long grind.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Yeah farming shards from Hard battles is a slow and unreliable process. Which is why people tend to stick with characters that can be farmed up in other ways.

I really like Dooku so I'm doing his daily and sometimes I'll do Resistance Pilot. It's a long grind.

I hope they don't fix GW anytime soon. It's been nice as hell to get 15 shards/day out of cheesing my way through that.

My team has gotten good enough now, though, that I usually only have to lame the final 2-3 fights.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

When I a farming gear, if there's a piece that drops in a hard battle that has an interesting character shard, I typically hit that up. Been getting in some Fives farming that way lately.

It's taking me roughly 120 gear per mark 7 blue gear drop, and i need 5 to craft poo poo. Ugh.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mooktastical posted:

That's about where he is now just using stuff I had sitting around. Good enough for me! I'm already having trouble with team-building, didn't need a new wrench thrown in the system anyway.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Spent my last made-up money from work, and pulled a Moff Tarkin.

Anyone know what his deal is?

Not bad but hard to farm. it's almost not worth using those kinds of characters because you can't get them above a certain star level.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Good news: I unlocked Geonosian Soldier, Darth Sidious, and promoted my Jedi Guardian.

Bad News: I promoted my Clone Sergeant - Phase 1 shortly after reset. I was 14/15 Shards and I ran the HM missions, didn't get anything, then spent crystals at the shipment store to get a couple tokens to put me over the edge. Went to sleep, wake up and he's back to his previous rank, like I never got those tokens. But the HM missions I ran are still on cooldown!

What? Why?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Check out this horseshit that I face like in 90% of my galactic wars now. You can easily replace the resistance pilot for FOTP.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

When I a farming gear, if there's a piece that drops in a hard battle that has an interesting character shard, I typically hit that up. Been getting in some Fives farming that way lately.

It's taking me roughly 120 gear per mark 7 blue gear drop, and i need 5 to craft poo poo. Ugh.

Just wait until you gotta start farming out multiple purple items that require 20 purple drops each for one gear slot. I'm getting two refills a day and still not completing a gear slot a day right now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It could be PAD and you just have to wait 6 months for the skill-up dungeon for Palpatine to come around so you can have a CHANCE to get a drop and then a CHANCE to get the skill-up when applied.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah but then I just wouldn't play it, just like PAD.

I'm not really complaining, I still play this a lot after all, but I'd really like to get at least my arena team fully up to gear level 7 so I can stop dicking around in the 200s.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

18 out of the top 20 teams in my Arena have Phasma as their leader. 18!! That's crazy. I mean, I understand why I guess, with the buff the AI gets, there will be a follow up attack at least 50% of the time. I haven't even unlocked her yet. I'm still going with Sid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Yeah but then I just wouldn't play it, just like PAD.

I'm not really complaining, I still play this a lot after all, but I'd really like to get at least my arena team fully up to gear level 7 so I can stop dicking around in the 200s.

You're going to be dicking around in the 100-200 range until you start spending crystals on arena refreshes, sadly.

With just 5 fights/day you're going to lose all of your progress overnight.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

commish posted:

18 out of the top 20 teams in my Arena have Phasma as their leader. 18!! That's crazy. I mean, I understand why I guess, with the buff the AI gets, there will be a follow up attack at least 50% of the time. I haven't even unlocked her yet. I'm still going with Sid.

Yeah does her leader ability benefit from Tenacity or anything? I've faced down enemy Phasma teams that will get bonus attacks for 3 out of 4 attacks. Like consistently.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Zotix posted:

Check out this horseshit that I face like in 90% of my galactic wars now. You can easily replace the resistance pilot for FOTP.

7* Cad Bane, is this a computer-generated team? Who in their right mind would do that

Chilichimp posted:

You're going to be dicking around in the 100-200 range until you start spending crystals on arena refreshes, sadly.

With just 5 fights/day you're going to lose all of your progress overnight.

Depends on the server, I never spend on arena refreshes, my team is mediocre/bad (about 17K, 5*Sid, 5*Lumi, 5*JC, 4*Bariss, 4*CHEWIEEEEEE), but I can still snipe top 10 every day because my server all came up at the same time and despite not having a great Arena team it's okay enough to down sub-19K teams because AI is bad. Server trumps everything unfortunately

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 11, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Phasma is extremely stupid. I was hit with 6 follow up attacks in a row today. 16%. Sure.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Zotix posted:

Holy crap, I've seen some serious poo poo in GW but this beats it all. Surely that can't be a real player?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I actually want to start losing ranks. Because I like getting all my daily missions done I hover around #2,000 all the time. And I just get tired of the bullshit AI pulls at that level with the bullshit team comps. I'm starting to put together a similar bullshit team, so maybe it'll improve. But I find it hard to even find a team at my power level, 9,700, let alone one that isn't an obvious tryhard comp.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
loving hell, how does a team literally murder my Sidious before he gets a chance to move.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You don't have to actually win the daily arena missions you know

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

loving hell, how does a team literally murder my Sidious before he gets a chance to move.

Oh you sweet summer child. Just wait...

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Level 46 and need some allies: 721 - 396 - 715

Game is fun.

Wondering if I should go for Poe or Fives after Old Daka, thoughts?

Currently I'm running Sid, Fives, Luke, Lumi and JC.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

the 60 range teams are really giving me fits right now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Hell, you don't even need to finish the arena matches. You can retreat at your first chance and it'll still count.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah but the higher you get in Arena the faster you get those sweet sweet Sid shards.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
People are catching up to me in Arena and it is now a Sidious-infested hellscape of ownage :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Where I'm at I can usually take him out before their tank taunts but not before he gets an attack off. Then I just have to hope he uses his AOE or the person he hits can survive without healing for a while.

This of course does not take into account the computer's propensity to dodge/deflect 30% of my attacks.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

rabidsquid posted:

You don't understand me. I MUST WIN!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of not slotting Sid in on arena battles. He definitely has a purpose and I'd get him to 7* again first, but I think I'd rather come up with a solid team of damage dealers. If FOTP doesn't get heavily nerfed I can see fielding teams that 1 or 2 shot characters and just saying gently caress any healing that might be done, and just power through the defense.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zotix posted:

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of not slotting Sid in on arena battles. He definitely has a purpose and I'd get him to 7* again first, but I think I'd rather come up with a solid team of damage dealers. If FOTP doesn't get heavily nerfed I can see fielding teams that 1 or 2 shot characters and just saying gently caress any healing that might be done, and just power through the defense.

Yeah I can see this. I love when teams with 2-3 healers all blow their cooldown for one dude who is damaged and has the debuff up, though. If they ever "fix" the AI he may not be quite as valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just sniped #99 in arena but I am afraid I did it too early :ohdear:

edit: I did not do it too early :toot:

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 12, 2016

• Locked thread