Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

Prince Xizor (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Virago (1)

Kavil (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Blaster Turret (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

I have 5 points to spend, I'm not sure what system or illicit I want to give Xizor. Advanced sensors lets me focus when I segnor loop and gives me options to boost or barrel roll prior to moving to avoid bumps. Accuracy corrector lets me save tokens for defence since I know I can just correct to two hits, or sensor jammer which gives him more staying power once the ablative z's are gone.

I, like Strobe, think Advanced Sensors is better for PS9 Xizor, since it gives more options pre-move. but I also think you need the initiative bid more than Inertial Dampeners. You are already spending a point to get up to PS9 to deal with Aces, might as well be sure you get to move after them.

I believe hoiyes is correct in that you are going to be boosting and focusing, so you won't have modified dice for that 4 die shot. Average of 2 damage with high variance.
If you are going to pump out 2 damage, I think consistency would be better, so I suggest moving to TLT. It also extends your range of attack as a bonus. To make up the points, switch to VI to give yourself another PS9 booster, keeping the 2 point bid.

Xizor - VI, Virago, AdvSen, AutoThrusters (38)
Kavil - VI, TLT, Unhinged, Engine (36)
Pirate x2 (24)
Total: 98

Of course if you really want Blaster Turret, you can ignore my second paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd still go for Inertial Dampners. There's nothing that ruins an ace's day like setting up a good maneuver and then you use Advanced Sensors to barrel roll off to the side and then just sorta stop in good position for a shot.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I'm probably going to pick up a TFA starter and the Ghost to go with my OT starter. What should I get for my brother to fly against the Ghost? He doesn't like Star Wars that much, but he does like to be a little griefer in games.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Slave One? Brobots?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koopa Kid posted:

I've just been playing casually with friends at Meeplemart, just started last week. Scene isn't too big or organized over there from what I can tell though. I know DG does alternating X-wing/Armada tournaments every Sunday, the next X-wing tourney is the 17th so you should check that out.

Face to Face games also has weekly X-wing nights on Tuesdays but I've never been.

These guys also have a local event calendar, although a lot of the shops on there are pretty far away from where you are: http://dockingbay416.com/event-calendar/

BattleMaster posted:

I've played at both and they're good. Last semester got a little crazy so I haven't been in a couple of months, but I'm going to start going to both again.

Thanks guys. I figured Meeplemart would have some action but DG hadn't updated their schedule posted on their website since October.

I'm not sure about entering a tournament -- I've played exactly one game with a friend with the starter set. Probably need a bit more playtime. And spaceships.

(Also thanks Koopa Kid for the Indigo OT starter tip. That was a great deal.)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Keiya posted:

So I'm probably going to pick up a TFA starter and the Ghost to go with my OT starter. What should I get for my brother to fly against the Ghost? He doesn't like Star Wars that much, but he does like to be a little griefer in games.

Therapy.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm gonna need a bunch more star drugs and space simians to run my wave 8 list.

Z-95 Headhunter: Black Sun Soldier (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Z-95 Headhunter: · N'dru Suhlak (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Thanks guys. I figured Meeplemart would have some action but DG hadn't updated their schedule posted on their website since October.

I'm not sure about entering a tournament -- I've played exactly one game with a friend with the starter set. Probably need a bit more playtime. And spaceships.

(Also thanks Koopa Kid for the Indigo OT starter tip. That was a great deal.)

Glad they still had some when you went! It was sort of a hidden deal because Indigo is so terrible about stock levels, would be a shame to see it go to waste.

You don't even necessarily have to enter a tourney to get something out of it, you can observe and creep around, take a look at what people are flying and game mechanics. People are usually pretty friendly and at the very least the TO will be happy to talk to you about stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hoiyes posted:

I'm gonna need a bunch more star drugs and space simians to run my wave 8 list.

Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Z-95 Headhunter: · N'dru Suhlak (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Glitterstim (2)

God loving drat even if you have all 5 z-95s for the pilot cards for them that's an expensive list. NONE of it comes in the same boxes other than the Zs, and the most copies of each card you can get in one box is two.

I mean, if you're willing to proxy, that's one thing but if you want to run it in tournaments holy balls.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, it's one more Most Wanted, 3 more Kihrazx, dengar, a brown space fridge, and three tie prototypes. I'll probably only run it proxy for shits and giggles, though most of the guys in our league are all pretty close and we all swap cards for competitive events.

For tournaments I'm hoping to run dengar + z swarm (or new starviper ace when released).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'll probably try to run a Dengar + 2x StarViper list when Punishing One comes out just because I have literally never flown Scum and those will be my only three ships. :toot:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's pretty fr*cked up that they don't sell card packs or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's pretty fr*cked up that they don't sell card packs or something.

If by pretty hosed up you mean 'a proven effective business model' yes.

There's a good reason they don't sell card packs, and it's not just that they're theoretically not allowed or something - it's that it makes them very good money to sell you ships you don't need in order to get cards you do, which then tempts you to get more ships you don't need in order to get the cards to run the previous set etc etc etc.

I'm thinking about going all in on Scum when Dengar comes out, my boss promised me a small bonus at work and spending it on the YV, Most Wanted, and a Khiraxz (plus a Starviper if I can get one) will give me good list potential when Dengar drops.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

If by pretty hosed up you mean 'a proven effective business model' yes.

There's a good reason they don't sell card packs, and it's not just that they're theoretically not allowed or something - it's that it makes them very good money to sell you ships you don't need in order to get cards you do, which then tempts you to get more ships you don't need in order to get the cards to run the previous set etc etc etc.

I'm thinking about going all in on Scum when Dengar comes out, my boss promised me a small bonus at work and spending it on the YV, Most Wanted, and a Khiraxz (plus a Starviper if I can get one) will give me good list potential when Dengar drops.

Just because it makes money doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Speaking of which, how often do they reprint old sets and ships? There's a few that I have my eye on that seem to be a pain in the rear end to actually get.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just because it makes money doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Speaking of which, how often do they reprint old sets and ships? There's a few that I have my eye on that seem to be a pain in the rear end to actually get.

Their website will usually show you the status of any given set, i.e. whether it's likely to be in stock or whether it's been reprinted recently and is on the slow boat from China etc. They do reprints fairly frequently of stuff with high demand like the StarViper.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

I'll probably try to run a Dengar + 2x StarViper list when Punishing One comes out just because I have literally never flown Scum and those will be my only three ships. :toot:

Dengar + Title and two ps 1 starvipers is 95 points. You're probably better off just loading up dengar and either Xizor or Guri with a stack of upgrades.

I was speculating on the extra shield tokens in the Punishing One and had the idea that it's related to the new Astromech that's partly visible. It could be Overcharged Agromech, and might be a one use card that gives 3 shields for that round only (ie you place the shields on the mech and not the card). Would be interesting for dengar as he's likely to be in only 2-3 ship lists.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koopa Kid posted:

Glad they still had some when you went! It was sort of a hidden deal because Indigo is so terrible about stock levels, would be a shame to see it go to waste.

You don't even necessarily have to enter a tourney to get something out of it, you can observe and creep around, take a look at what people are flying and game mechanics. People are usually pretty friendly and at the very least the TO will be happy to talk to you about stuff.

Fair enough. They still have tons of sets left, I figured it might be bare after waiting until after the weekend but nope, still at least a dozen box sets left. I wasn't sure what you were talking about it only being $20 but I didn't know (and of course Indigo didn't indicate) that there was an extra 5% games and puzzles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Dengar + Title and two ps 1 starvipers is 95 points. You're probably better off just loading up dengar and either Xizor or Guri with a stack of upgrades.

I was speculating on the extra shield tokens in the Punishing One and had the idea that it's related to the new Astromech that's partly visible. It could be Overcharged Agromech, and might be a one use card that gives 3 shields for that round only (ie you place the shields on the mech and not the card). Would be interesting for dengar as he's likely to be in only 2-3 ship lists.

Current best guess is that they're related to GONK.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Maybe not Dengar, then. Or maybe, to be a huge rebel, not even the title. I'm imagining what I can do with two StarVipers with Torps and Chips plus a Punishing One.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If gonk is crew and offers bonus shields....and is not scum only, put on Miranda?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Most Scum crew cards tend to be Scum only, I'd be surprised if Gonk bucked that trend.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

If gonk is crew and offers bonus shields....and is not scum only, put on Miranda?

I'd be surprised if it's not scum only, but the extra shield tokens may well be from the Salvaged Astro for just that reason.

Dammit FFG y u no release preview.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So apparently the nova squad FB group has been calling the list VFP and not VSP like I have. I might've seen it somewhere or considered it much easier to say as Vespa instead of Vifp.

I will still call it VSP/Vespa cuz it's a lot easier to say.

Side note: it's called an At-At just like it's called a Humvee or Artoo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I call it brandy cause it is VSOP. (Yes shut up I know I made this joke already)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Moving closer to giving this a playtest run. It plays havoc with the points scheme, of course, but it's hardly intended for tourney use.

X-wing Miniatures Higher-Lethality Combat

Hits are normally dealt face-up; damage cards are only turned face down as a result of resolving their effect, or if explicitly referred to as being dealt face-down by another card. Small and Large ships are destroyed when accumulating hits equal to their hull value, as normal. Huge ships may accumulate any number of hits, and be subject to their active effects without destruction.

Critical Hits will destroy small ships, regardless of the amount of Hull they have remaining. Large ships are destroyed on their second Critical Hit. Huge ships are destroyed (or the relevant hull section crippled) when the number of Critical Hits they have accumulated equal their Hull values. Critical Hits do not have any cards or damage card effects associated with them.

When a Hit or Critical Hit is going to be stopped by Shields, the defender rolls one green die per incoming Hit (or Crit). An Evade or Focus result means the shield token is removed, and the hit negated. A Blank result means the shield is unaffected, but the damage passes on to the defending ship as if there were no shields.

Any ship with shields remaining gains an action in its action bar, “Angle Deflectors.” Ships using an Angle Deflectors action places one of its remaining shield tokens on the board to mark it. If the ship is defending against an attack, all shield rolls made by the ship are considered automatically successful. The shield token is returned to the ship in the End Phase.

Ships attacking through the rear 90-degree arc of a Small or Large target may roll an extra red die. Small or Large ships defending through either of their side 90-degree arcs may add one defense die.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Side note: it's called an At-At just like it's called a Humvee or Artoo.

What do you call the AT-ST then?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Those rules would be hilarious with ten numb/mangler/VI

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

Moving closer to giving this a playtest run. It plays havoc with the points scheme, of course, but it's hardly intended for tourney use.

X-wing Miniatures Higher-Lethality Combat

Hits are normally dealt face-up; damage cards are only turned face down as a result of resolving their effect, or if explicitly referred to as being dealt face-down by another card. Small and Large ships are destroyed when accumulating hits equal to their hull value, as normal. Huge ships may accumulate any number of hits, and be subject to their active effects without destruction.

Critical Hits will destroy small ships, regardless of the amount of Hull they have remaining. Large ships are destroyed on their second Critical Hit. Huge ships are destroyed (or the relevant hull section crippled) when the number of Critical Hits they have accumulated equal their Hull values. Critical Hits do not have any cards or damage card effects associated with them.

When a Hit or Critical Hit is going to be stopped by Shields, the defender rolls one green die per incoming Hit (or Crit). An Evade or Focus result means the shield token is removed, and the hit negated. A Blank result means the shield is unaffected, but the damage passes on to the defending ship as if there were no shields.

Any ship with shields remaining gains an action in its action bar, “Angle Deflectors.” Ships using an Angle Deflectors action places one of its remaining shield tokens on the board to mark it. If the ship is defending against an attack, all shield rolls made by the ship are considered automatically successful. The shield token is returned to the ship in the End Phase.

Ships attacking through the rear 90-degree arc of a Small or Large target may roll an extra red die. Small or Large ships defending through either of their side 90-degree arcs may add one defense die.

Sounds way the hell too complicated for me not to mention hellish unbalanced given the number of things that just straight up deal damage cards. E: but if you enjoy it, why not I guess?

canyoneer posted:

What do you call the AT-ST then?

atstuh. E: Chickenwalker.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 11, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Madurai posted:

If your deflectors are angled you should get an automatic success for attacks obstructed by your shield token and an automatic failure for all other attacks.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

So apparently the nova squad FB group has been calling the list VFP and not VSP like I have. I might've seen it somewhere or considered it much easier to say as Vespa instead of Vifp.

I will still call it VSP/Vespa cuz it's a lot easier to say.

Call it whatever you want, it doesn't matter what Nova calls it. Not everything needs an Inside-Baseball name.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is this "inside baseball" i have heard so much about? how do they hit it out of the park?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

If your deflectors are angled you should get an automatic success for attacks obstructed by your shield token and an automatic failure for all other attacks.

I thought about having them be automatic for a particular facing, but it seemed like more :effort: to denote that on the board.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kai Tave posted:

Most Scum crew cards tend to be Scum only, I'd be surprised if Gonk bucked that trend.

In Rebels a gonk droid was a rebel courier, which would match up with the other Rebels content this wave, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's usable by rebel at least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is this a really pretty solid list or have I missed something? Someone on the FFG forums mentioned R7-T1 and I'd not really looked at it before, but...

Wedge Antilles (29)
Expert Handling (2)
R7-T1 (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
3 solid, high-PS pilots with decent arc-dodging capabilities (though Wedge will get a bit stressy) and solid offence, all fitting neatly into 100 points. Not to mention Ello with the white sloops and boost getting some real unpredictability thanks to BB8 making people think you'll do green all the time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Using EH with EI will double stress Wedge, so I'd recommend bringing Wingman on something that can keep up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I recognise that. I'm not sure Expert Handling is the best choice there, I mostly put it in to get a list where every ship could boost/BR in the same turn. R7T1 seems really solid for wedge, because doubling up on the actions is always good and getting boost on Wedge is always good, so getting boost and TL together seems very strong, especially in the joust. I'd probably look at EH and EI as either/or options really.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

3 solid, high-PS pilots with decent arc-dodging capabilities (though Wedge will get a bit stressy) and solid offence, all fitting neatly into 100 points. Not to mention Ello with the white sloops and boost getting some real unpredictability thanks to BB8 making people think you'll do green all the time.

Trolls, not sloops! It's funny to me that those are both actual words.

In other news Major Rhymer's inexplicable three point "special charge" past what he "should" cost is really upsetting me right now. Because I'm making Major Rhymer Gimmick Lists! ORDNANCE BABY ORDNANCE

CLUSTA RHYMES

Major Rhymer (26)
Marksmanship (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Thomas Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Captain Jonus (22)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Jonus supports two heavy missilin' motherfuckers for up to four brutalizing volleys. I've always been enchanted with the idea of extending Clusters to Range 3 where they can gloat twice over the secondary weapon denial of range defense bonus.

FUKU-R2

Maarek Stele (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Adv. Homing Missiles (3)
Guidance Chimps (0)
TIE/x1 (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

Major Rhymer (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Adv. Homing Missiles (3)
Proton Bombs (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

"Scourge" (17)

"Wampa" (14)

This time Rhymer gives flex to Advanced Homing Missiles as part of a team built around telling shield regen to gently caress right off.

I have never been to a tournament and never plan to - my "local meta" is a friends with friends scene that only uses models that appeared on screen in an "Episode X" of Star Wars. Basically no EU models. However we eagerly proxy anything and everything relevant to our models (see the use of material from Imperial Veterans). I don't say this to deflect all criticism. I'm posting to not just share my gimmick ideas but look for genuine improvement. I just want that known for context in the hopes I can still get some useful ideas.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Slave One? Brobots?

Brobots? I'm not terribly familiar with the tournament scene terminology and stuff, sorry...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Raider even though I've played exactly zero epic games. The box is huge and since I'm on vacation I haven't opened it yet. I'm just curious if the Raider is able to be used as terrain in 100pt games like other epic ships and what are the rules for using it or other epics as such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Keiya posted:

Brobots? I'm not terribly familiar with the tournament scene terminology and stuff, sorry...

2xIGs.

• Locked thread