Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Real human persons ITT seriously trying to say they enjoyed Hayden Christensen's acting with real English words. :downs: Yeah. It's at this precise specific point that you know you're reaching too hard.

Look, I've seen him in better films and I don't think he's hopeless as an actor, we all know the real problem was with the production, direction, and script, but it all ends up amounting to the same thing: his (and virtually everyone else's) delivery was feeble and amateurish in the Star Wars. Not for the entire two films, but for enough of it that everyone could see it wasn't working. Some of the single most important moments of Anakin's storyline have wound up as in-jokes on the internet precisely because of the deliveries we got.

No, dude, don't you see? Dumb nerds just didn't get it! The delivery was intentionally bad! They are good films that are making fun of you! SMG said so! Only comedy forum posters deal in absolutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Anakin's "I HATE YOU" is unironically my favorite moment of his prequel character. It's so unglamorous and raw that it makes up for Lucas's inability to convey how characters are feeling without explicitly stating it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah. No one makes fun of any of Luke's lines or deliveries. Especially about power converters.

Edit: think I missed the point of your post, sorry dude

People don't make fun of his delivery. They make fun of Luke being whiny. It's funny because Luke is a whiny poo poo.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beefstew posted:

Anakin's "I HATE YOU" is unironically my favorite moment of his prequel character. It's so unglamorous and raw that it makes up for Lucas's inability to convey how characters are feeling without explicitly stating it.

That's probably the worst part about the prequels. No restraint or subtlety to be found. They are indeed children's movies.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"Why is there no restraint or subtlety when that guy shouts 'I HATE YOU'??" - an idiot

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

No, dude, don't you see? Dumb nerds just didn't get it! The delivery was intentionally bad! They are good films that are making fun of you! SMG said so! Only comedy forum posters deal in absolutes!

lol nobody has ever said anything about the prequels being "intentionally bad" and this dumbshit meme is worse than the worst crimes the prequels supposedly committed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cargohills posted:

"Why is there no restraint or subtlety when that guy shouts 'I HATE YOU'??" - an idiot

If I'd just had my limbs cut off mid-air, and landed on a hillside slowly being burned by lava, I'd definitely just scream "I HATE YOU!" at a guy I was friends with until he maybe showed up to ruin evil plans I'd made an hour ago.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the acting & dialogue at the end of the lightsaber fight is good.

anakin screaming 'I HATE YOU' is definitely not in the top 90% of 'things anakin says in the prequels that is memed on'. I think you're more likely to find it in a TUMBLR-gif-comparison-of-family-members than any kind of 'lol this poo poo' meme factory

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Red posted:

If I'd just had my limbs cut off mid-air, and landed on a hillside slowly being burned by lava, I'd definitely just scream "I HATE YOU!" at a guy I was friends with until he maybe showed up to ruin evil plans I'd made an hour ago.

he warned him that he had the high ground...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Red posted:

To be fair it's completely in line with an annoying poo poo who literally murders children when he doesn't get his way. It's a nagging tweeny "you never let me have any fun! I HATE YOU!" because Anakin is an emotional child.

in this context Vader's redemption becomes less "forsaking power and control to save his son" and more realizing "saving others requires self-sacrifice, not murdering children"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

amusinginquiry posted:

he warned him that he had the high ground...

If only Darth Maul had known the ancient jedi trick of "wave murder stick above head during someones hecka sweet spin flip", he could have kept his legs...

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Beefstew posted:

I agree with this a lot. It makes up for much of the bad delivery from the rest of the movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

this reaction you seem to have to people liking the prequels is worse than anything else in the whole thread hth

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffles Inc. posted:

this reaction you seem to have to people liking the prequels is worse than anything else in the whole thread hth

:agreed: He's not even the first one to make that "joke", not by a long shot.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

lol nobody has ever said anything about the prequels being "intentionally bad" and this dumbshit meme is worse than the worst crimes the prequels supposedly committed.

If I had the time or inclination I'd look through the thread and quote you where it's been said multiple times that the delivery and writing of some lines said by Padme and Anakin are intentionally bad because they were sheltered - which we don't even know but assume anyway because reasons.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

And none of Mark Hamill's lines as Luke have ever ended up as in-jokes on the Internet because of their inherent silliness. It's almost like if you go in determined to mock the easily-mockable, preposterously written, soapy ham-fest that is Star Wars, you're going to find exactly what you're looking for!
This is what I've learned from the Internet:

= High Comedy
I can't imagine any one having a problem with the way Christiansin says that line. He spits it out with such bile and such conviction you'd think he legit hates Ewan McGregor. Really, all the back and forth between those before and after their duel is fantastic. Obi-Wan tries his best to talk sense into his best friend but he's a lost cause.

edit; I type dumb

sponges fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 12, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

But I like the prequels, as I've said many times. :)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I can't imagine any one having a problem with the way Christiansin says that line. He's spits in out with such bile and such conviction you'd think he legit hates Ewan McGregor. Really, all the back and forth between those before and after their duel is fantastic. Obi-Wan tries his best to talk sense into his best friend but he's a lost cause.

It's definitely the least objectionable dialogue in the PT (and enhanced by the contrast between it and the preceeding cringe-chat), which is why it was chosen for that comparison.

A proper comparison would be implying Luke's last reflection on Vader before he's burned is laughed at (which wouldn't be true, either)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

If I had the time or inclination I'd look through the thread and quote you where it's been said multiple times that the delivery and writing of some lines said by Padme and Anakin are intentionally bad because they were sheltered - which we don't even know but assume anyway because reasons.

The dialogue is intentionally awkward, which isn't the same as what you are saying. The scenes are supposed to feel a little uncomfortable, because its two inexperienced people ineptly trying to flirt with each other.

Whether that adds up to a scene that you enjoy watching is your own thing. I don't like those scenes personally but there aren't too many of them.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 12, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Brief tangent: I think Lucas' reaction to no longer being in the spotlight WRT Star Wars is interesting. I'm wondering if he is finding it difficult to accept how easily people has approved of his removal from his own work, and no longer being tangential to Star Wars; better to be reviled than ignored.

I mean lets be serious here: Lucas knows race politics, he has expressed this constantly within Star Wars, within getting Red Tails produced and released, and when commenting on reactions to his marriage. Joke or not, he knew what reaction he would get from equating Disney to "white slavers". Imagine if, even if someone was kidding, someone said "selling my works to [popular company] was like I was giving the go-ahead to have my baby gangraped for decades", would you believe they weren't gunning for press? It was an attempt to see his name in articles again.

That's not to say he is a bad person for doing it. I'm just curious about what is going on in his head.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 12, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

The dialogue is intentionally awkward, which isn't the same as what you are saying. The scenes are supposed to feel a little uncomfortable, because its two inexperienced people ineptly trying to flirt with each other.

Whether that adds up to a scene that you enjoy watching is your own thing. I don't like those scenes personally but there aren't too many of them.

Where do we find out that Padme is inexperienced in human interaction? Or do we just assume she is because she falls for Anakin and doesn't see him as the super creepy dude he is?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

OH well then I guess I'll just have to believe you

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nobody has said those parts are intentionally bad. Intentionally awkward, maybe. Or intentionally different from what audience members might expect from a standard romance story.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Brief tangent: I think Lucas' reaction to no longer being in the spotlight WRT Star Wars is interesting. I'm wondering if he is finding it difficult to accept how easily people has approved of his removal from his own work, and no longer being tangential to Star Wars; better to be reviled than ignored.

I mean lets be serious here: Lucas knows race politics, he has expressed this constantly within Star Wars, within getting Red Tails produced and released, and when commenting on reactions to his marriage. Joke or not, he knew what reaction he would get from equating Disney to "white slavers". Imagine if, even if someone was kidding, someone said "selling my works to [popular company] was like I was giving the go-ahead to have my baby gangraped for decades", would you believe they weren't gunning for press? It was an attempt to see his name in articles again.

That's not to say he is a bad person for doing it. I'm just curious about what is going on in his head.

Honestly if I were Lucas I'd be kind of disappointed with nerds' obsession with Star Wars and subsequent disappointment in the prequels and then happiness at his removal, though voluntary, from future Star Wars productions.

Given his personal politics and moral philosophy, I wonder if he's disappointed that fans have always been fascinated with and dress up as various Empire characters like Vader, the Storm Troopers, Boba Fett, etc., and if he believes that people just don't get it.

I just think the guy's pissed and it's totally understandable. For as much as I can criticize parts of the prequels and some of his edits to the OT, he still gave us Star Wars and some other great movies and he is, I think, one of the most creative people to have ever worked in film - and yet nerds hate him and make fun of him. I guess if I were him I'd wonder what the gently caress was wrong with the human race.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Noam Chomsky posted:

Honestly if I were Lucas I'd be kind of disappointed with nerds' obsession with Star Wars and subsequent disappointment in the prequels and then happiness at his removal, though voluntary, from future Star Wars productions.

Given his personal politics and moral philosophy, I wonder if he's disappointed that fans have always been fascinated with and dress up as various Empire characters like Vader, the Storm Troopers, Boba Fett, etc., and if he believes that people just don't get it.

I just think the guy's pissed and it's totally understandable. For as much as I can criticize parts of the prequels and some of his edits to the OT, he still gave us Star Wars and some other great movies and he is, I think, one of the most creative people to have ever worked in film - and yet nerds hate him and make fun of him. I guess if I were him I'd wonder what the gently caress was wrong with the human race.

Lucas is way more of a film nerd than a sci-fi nerd. I doubt he's ever cared what "Star Wars fans" think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Where do we find out that Padme is inexperienced in human interaction? Or do we just assume she is because she falls for Anakin and doesn't see him as the super creepy dude he is?

Its what happens in the movie. She's young royalty and we only ever see her with Anakin throughout the three films. When she does fall in love with Anakin some of the scenes are awkward. Rather than interpreting all that as a failure to convey whatever scenario I may have conjured up in my mind, I choose to interpret it as two young kids inexperienced in love awkwardly falling for each other.

If I'm to assume the opposite what would be the reasoning based on whats actually in the movie?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lucas is way more of a film nerd than a sci-fi nerd. I doubt he's ever cared what "Star Wars fans" think.

He's cared enough to avoid the internet since the PT was released according to a recent NYT article. I'll see if I can find it. If you don't care what someone thinks you tend not to avoid an entire technology to avoid hearing their opinions.

To put so much love, care, time and passion into not only the films but also his business he built around Star Wars, he has to care. If he doesn't then he has more mental fortitude and less emotion that even a PT Jedi.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
At the same time, while he was no doubt a good human being, he did love playing the Bad Guy to SW fans. I don't even directly mean the special edition edits: on either the Red Tails or Crystal Skull set he wore a bunch of different inflammatory shirts (most notable being "Greedo Shot First."), and he seemed to enjoy wearing a black suit while posing with stormtrooper cosplayers.

None of this is meant to detract him, I think its all pretty funny and cool, even if I dont like the PT.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Its what happens in the movie. She's young royalty and we only ever see her with Anakin throughout the three films. When she does fall in love with Anakin some of the scenes are awkward. Rather than interpreting all that as a failure to convey whatever scenario I may have conjured up in my mind, I choose to interpret it as two young kids inexperienced in love awkwardly falling for each other.

If I'm to assume the opposite what would be the reasoning based on whats actually in the movie?

I don't necessarily disagree with that but both characters have to have done things and talked to other people during the times we don't see them on screen. A lot of time passes between each movie. I guess it's not that believable to me that two characters could each have a very active public life and be socially awkward.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Neurolimal posted:

At the same time, while he was no doubt a good human being, he did love playing the Bad Guy to SW fans. I don't even directly mean the special edition edits: on either the Red Tails or Crystal Skull set he wore a bunch of different inflammatory shirts (most notable being "Greedo Shot First."), and he seemed to enjoy wearing a black suit while posing with stormtrooper cosplayers.

None of this is meant to detract him, I think its all pretty funny and cool, even if I dont like the PT.

I mean it's not like he's being antagonistic towards starving African children, if I was in his shoes I would probably be really sick and tired of (non-normal) Star Wars fans at this point.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess it's not that believable to me that two characters could each have a very active public life and be socially awkward.

Both of them had a lot of responsibility thrust on them at very young ages. They had almost no time where to just openly be themselves- Anakin had to constantly pretend to go along with the Jedi way even as he doubts it more and more, and Padme was first a young Queen made-up like a china doll and then in another quite serious position as a senator. So it makes perfect sense that those scenes when they were finally alone together they wouldn't quite know how to act.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Neurolimal posted:

The real joke is that I think the Han Shot First shirt he wore was an official Lucasfilm product. As for wearing a black suit, maybe he owns a black suit??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

The real joke is that I think the Han Shot First shirt he wore was an official Lucasfilm product. As for wearing a black suit, maybe he owns a black suit??

the black suit part wasn't that important, I just brought it up because wow, he looks totally natural in a dark suit with stormtroopers; I could totally imagine him as the antagonist CEO in a dystopian YA novel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with that but both characters have to have done things and talked to other people during the times we don't see them on screen. A lot of time passes between each movie. I guess it's not that believable to me that two characters could each have a very active public life and be socially awkward.

We're specifically talking about the scenes where they fall in love with each other though. Both characters are established as people who wouldn't have much experience in that area, Anakin being whisked away by the Jedi as a kid and Padme being an untouchable Queen when she was a kid. The first time Anakin is alone with Padme we're probably seeing his first experience actually taking a shot at a woman.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Just got back from watching this in IMAX 3D. First movie I've ever bothered to see in IMAX, definitely worth it. It actually stands up a lot better the second time. There are still pacing issues, but they take a back seat to the characters and just fantastic imagery. Also, the acting is great. Before I saw it, someone commented here that Adam Driver plays a better Anakin than Hayden Christensen did and, keeping that in mind while watching, I could definitely see it. That, and I'm a bit more convinced that something is going on with Finn. The sound effects when he "awakens", him hearing the screaming when Starkiller is fired, and a couple of times the framing is used to draw attention to him and Kylo Ren, as though there was some sort of parallel or connection there.

IMAX blew me away. It's so much better than the standard screens.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Krangdar posted:

Both of them had a lot of responsibility thrust on them at very young ages. They had almost no time where to just openly be themselves- Anakin had to constantly pretend to go along with the Jedi way even as he doubts it more and more, and Padme was first a young Queen made-up like a china doll and then in another quite serious position as a senator. So it makes perfect sense that those scenes when they were finally alone together they wouldn't quite know how to act.

Eh, even people with lots of responsibilities and restrictive professional positions in real life have time for relationships and interaction. I can see Anakin being awkward and unintentionally creepy but I would expect Padme to be way more savvy.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

We're specifically talking about the scenes where they fall in love with each other though. Both characters are established as people who wouldn't have much experience in that area, Anakin being whisked away by the Jedi as a kid and Padme being an untouchable Queen when she was a kid. The first time Anakin is alone with Padme we're probably seeing his first experience actually taking a shot at a woman.

There are lots of women in the Jedi Order, occupying the same positions as men, and Jedi aren't restricted, obviously, to the confines of the temple.

Padme was a galaxy trotting senator for some time after vacating her position as queen. Also, as I said, plenty of time is left for interaction and relationships even if you occupy a restrictive position.

The way they act around eachother might make more sense if they were teenagers that had not yet been allowed to roam around on adventures or represent planets in a galactic senate. I really don't see either of them as sheltered. They're more worldly than most, I would assume. Galaxy trotting adventurers and dignitaries that they are.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, even people with lots of responsibilities and restrictive professional positions in real life have time for relationships and interaction. I can see Anakin being awkward and unintentionally creepy but I would expect Padme to be way more savvy.

Its not just that they had a lot of responsibilities, its that they took them on at such young ages.

The point is that her character is coherent the way it is. That doesn't preclude that she could have been written as more savvy, but she wasn't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

There are lots of women in the Jedi Order, occupying the same positions as men, and Jedi aren't restricted, obviously, to the confines of the temple.

Padme was a galaxy trotting senator for some time after vacating her position as queen. Also, as I said, plenty of time is left for interaction and relationships even if you occupy a restrictive position.

The way they act around eachother might make more sense if they were teenagers that had not yet been allowed to roam around on adventures or represent planets in a galactic senate. I really don't see either of them as sheltered. They're more worldly than most, I would assume. Galaxy trotting adventurers and dignitaries that they are.

The movie has given you the reasoning for why they act the way they do, but you don't want to accept it. You'd rather make up your own version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

If it was meant to be bashful, awkward, fumbling young love, then it failed to convey that to me. If it was genuine romantic love, then it failed to convey that to me. Hayden Christensen and Nathalie Portman had no chemistry, and came off as two people reciting awkward dialogue at each other. At no point did I believe they were in love or even infatuated with each other. There was more genuine affection in the single hug Finn and Rey shared than the entirety of Anikin and Padme's relationship. Those are my feelings on that, and obviously others saw it differently, and that's okay.

• Locked thread