Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Moonage Daydream" fascinates me in particular because the version that appears on Ziggy is a fix-up of a song he did while he was messing about with Arnold Corns. Writers do a disservice to artists like Bowie, and their listeners, when they act as if their influence came out of some ineffable void. He was interested in all kinds of stuff and a lot of his work is the result of a melange of influences that he tinkered with and adapted to different purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDj3shXvco

How was this man making music this rad 40+ years ago?

How did this man even exist at all?

How?

This being of pure energy just phased into our reality for 40 years and just phased out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin hell, with Lemmy and now this it's turning into a really poo poo-tier year for my personal music heroes. When this happens to normal people they either shut down or try to mitigate, people like Freddie Mercury grab the mic and go to loving work :cry:

Leon Einstein posted:

That's the best song on Rock Band, bar none.

I used the rock band chart to mock up actual sheet music for the drums to Moonage Daydream. Think I'll bang out a quick video after work tonight just to upload something in meager tribute.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have to echo the comments that 6Music have done an excellent job of paying him tribute all day. If you looking for something to listen to, everything from the breakshow onwards is all Bowie.

I only owned Ziggy but I happened to pop in to the supermarket on the way home and while they didn't have Blackstar, he was artist of the month and I picked up Low, Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Moonage Daydream" fascinates me in particular because the version that appears on Ziggy is a fix-up of a song he did while he was messing about with Arnold Corns. Writers do a disservice to artists like Bowie, and their listeners, when they act as if their influence came out of some ineffable void. He was interested in all kinds of stuff and a lot of his work is the result of a melange of influences that he tinkered with and adapted to different purposes.
Arnold Corns was just a band he made up; a pseudonym. I don't really understand your point. Arnold Corns wasn't a person.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Currently wondering how long before news of a biopic hits.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
rip the original Starman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Leon Einstein posted:

Arnold Corns was just a band he made up; a pseudonym. I don't really understand your point. Arnold Corns wasn't a person.
Bowie is perhaps the kind of the concept album, but his narratives aren't nearly as deliberate and obsessive as music journalists like to make these things out to be. Ziggy could very easily have had a significantly different lineup of songs. "Rebel Rebel" was written for it but ended up on Diamond Dogs, despite that album having a very different narrative of its own.

You can also see these weird assumptions when it comes to the characters that Bowie supposedly played. Ziggy Stardust was definitely a character he invented with a pretty solid concept and a character arc. He wrote that character and then played him, he introduced songs in concert as having been written by Ziggy, etc. Now, when it comes to "The Thin White Duke," I'm 90% sure he did not sit down and write a narrative arc about who that guy was and what he was about, there were just some vague concepts about a fascist leader in an apocalyptic Europe going on in his head when he was touring for Station to Station. I've read stuff where people tried to say that Halloween Jack was a character he played, and Halloween Jack's traits are "well he styled his hair this way and wore sunglasses and played with a skull on stage." Articles are already identifying Lazarus as another Bowie "character," and I'm not sure that's really a thing.

Steve2911 posted:

Currently wondering how long before news of a biopic hits.
I'm already seeing retrospective articles being used to push books. Can't be too long.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm weird in that im REALLY into late era-Bowie, mostly Heathen and onwards.

And the old stuff -- I can generally listen to everything hit wise and known - but the deeper stuff takes a few listens, always been that way. Unsure why this is. I adore the man tho.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I see your point now. Many of his "characters" were actually just Bowie doing what he found exciting at the time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I'm hearing new things in these songs that I didn't notice before, things that would later influence other songs. Like Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood uses almost the exact same melodica tune as Station To Station.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One of my favorite things about Bowie is how I never listened to one of his albums, but yet still stumbled upon great song after song on a yearly basis. Beyond videos on MTV in the nineties there's stuff like Somebody Up There Loves Me in GTA: San Andreas, Cat People in Inglorious Basterds or Crystal Japan because Trent Reznor accidentally turned it into A Warm Place (or is Lost In Translation to blame?). I don't know what lead me to Warszawa, but that was a good day and there are dozens of examples of me discovering songs like that. I do own the DVD of the Reality tour, but I'm not sure I ever watched it. I guess I was just satisfied in the knowledge that there was always more out there and I could stumble on it when I'd least expect it.

I changed that today with Blackstar. It's weird to start at the end, but that somehow was fitting.

Also, I posted this in the GBS thread but it'll probably be more appreciated here: Radio Soulwax's "Dave" (it's an hour in length)
https://vimeo.com/53207758

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 11, 2016

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
There's a woman on my Facebook going on about Bowie being a rapist. From what I can see, that accusation isn't super substantiated. Is there anything real to the rumors?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AGirlWonder posted:

There's a woman on my Facebook going on about Bowie being a rapist. From what I can see, that accusation isn't super substantiated. Is there anything real to the rumors?

It originates from here https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie Statutory rape, yes.

It's nowhere near the levels of jimmy page or townsend.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Man it is both heartening and sad to see Bowie take up fully half the top 30 albums on iTunes right now (and Scary Monsters coming in at 33)

GonSmithe posted:

More like The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I luckily have this on Blu-ray and was already planning on re-watching tonight...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

(and Scary Monsters coming in at 33)

This right here is the biggest crime of all

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

triple sulk posted:

This right here is the biggest crime of all

Actually the biggest crime is that Station to Station is 43.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

incoherent posted:

It originates from here https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie Statutory rape, yes.

It's nowhere near the levels of jimmy page or townsend.

In that thrillist article it seems like she has no regrets for anything that happened with Bowie. I get the impression that others (facebook mob, activists, angry individuals) are insisting that she was raped despite her own claims.

This was another rape accusation where he was actually accused, but he got that cleared:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19871119&id=xg8TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6foDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6582%2C856145&hl=en

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Thank you. I'm being accused of discrediting rape survivors now, because I initially did not believe the rumors she was posting. (But no don't have sex with fifteen year olds.)

Still totally inappropriate timing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, I posted this in the GBS thread but it'll probably be more appreciated here: Radio Soulwax's "Dave" (it's an hour in length)
https://vimeo.com/53207758

This is absolutely spectacular and I'm so glad that you linked it here

Nile Rodgers: http://pitchfork.com/news/62847-nile-rodgers-reflects-on-david-bowie/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Things were a lot different in the 70s. Multiple bands wrote songs about teenage groupies. Attitudes have changed considerably in the past few decades, for the better.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
With the liver cancer, I wonder if he had Hepatitis?

He says Bowie looked sickly in the video he sent in for Nile's award ceremony - I just googled it and that ceremony was in 2011.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 12, 2016

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Things were a lot different in the 70s. Multiple bands wrote songs about teenage groupies. Attitudes have changed considerably in the past few decades, for the better.

Bowie was also coked out of his mind for a good deal of the 70s for what it's worth.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not that this excuses Bowie's behaviour, but I think either Steve Tyler or Jimmy Page adopted a groupie as a ward so they could travel together

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not that this excuses Bowie's behaviour, but I think either Steve Tyler or Jimmy Page adopted a groupie as a ward so they could travel together

That's Ted Nugent.

quote:

In 1978, Nugent began a relationship with seventeen-year-old Hawaii native Pele Massa. Due to the age difference they could not marry so Nugent joined Massa's parents in signing documents to make himself her legal guardian, an arrangement that Spin magazine ranked in October 2000 as #63 on their list of the "100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm gonna kill god if he takes Springsteen or Byrne

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stutes posted:

That's Ted Nugent.

I have a difficult time believing there were 62 moments sleazier than that, to be honest.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TubeStank posted:

I'm gonna kill god if he takes Springsteen or Byrne

First song I heard today in the supermarket was Brand New Day by Sting, and I thought to myself "yeah he's probably next"

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

EugeneJ posted:

First song I heard today in the supermarket was Brand New Day by Sting, and I thought to myself "yeah he's probably next"

Has anyone checked on Dylan recently? :ohdear:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

I saw him live a few years ago and can't be rightly convinced he wasn't being operated by an elaborate system of levers and pulleys at the time. And he didn't sound all that great either. It took him at least 4-5 songs just to warm up.
Thunder on the Mountain fuckin' rocked though. And Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.
Pretty much any of his new material that's all in the same key the whole song was okay.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EugeneJ posted:

Keith Richards is going to outlive all these guys (and also me), isn't he?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Dylan: 4 rows back on 5/15/15. He can actually still croon the unplugged stuff, but uptempo and trying to sing over the band gets embarrassing. He's another one that will never, ever stop. He'll go out busking if necessary.

David: Everyone says hi.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/12092385/David-Bowie-dies-from-cancer-latest.html#update-20160111-2240

quote:

The singer had reportedly been diagnosed with incurable liver cancer in 2014 but only a small circle of friends were in the know.

Wendy Leigh, who published a biography of Bowie last year, told BBC News: ‘He didn’t just battle cancer... he had six heart attacks in recent years. I got this from somebody very close to him.’

6 heart attacks

:(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stay away from blow, kids

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDasBptBsY

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, I'm hearing new things in these songs that I didn't notice before, things that would later influence other songs. Like Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood uses almost the exact same melodica tune as Station To Station.

maybe my ears are broken but im really not hearing any similar melodies in Clint Eastwood and Station to Station?

this is the song that made my 14 year old self dig deeper into post-Ziggy bowie, and indirectly led me to all sorts of amazing music. still one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLl1MeOCeKI

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have fun going down the rabbit hole -

http://www.whosampled.com/David-Bowie/

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Hadn't had a chance to listen to Blackstar until just a little bit ago and drat is it something knowing what we know now.

There's a Starman indeed.......... :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

maybe my ears are broken but im really not hearing any similar melodies in Clint Eastwood and Station to Station?
Yeah, I listened to StS again later and I may have just imagined that. They both use a melodica but it's not the same melody or anything. I just heard StS for the first time in a while and Clint Eastwood immediately popped into my head because that's the song I associate with the melodica. My bad :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stay away from blow, kids

And having cartons of Marlboros thrown at you (and then smoking all of them). Cigarettes are really loving bad, and I say that as a committed tobacco enthusiast :smith:

• Locked thread