Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hitup the local hobby stores to see what they have. If I can find a genuine one, is the SkyRC IMAX B6 the best for it's price range?

What's the name for this type of connector, I've seen them in both long and short versions. Banana? To me, banana is the type of plug that goes in a multimeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hitup the local hobby stores to see what they have. If I can find a genuine one, is the SkyRC IMAX B6 the best for it's price range?

What's the name for this type of connector, I've seen them in both long and short versions. Banana? To me, banana is the type of plug that goes in a multimeter.

Banana, or "The junk you cut off and replace with Deans/Star/XT60" etc.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Harik posted:

I'm dipping my toes back into the RC world after selling everything off 15 years ago when I went to college. Got a Redcat blackout RTR as an early christmas present and even that lowend truck is faster/more fun than what I sold off.

Since LiPo RC is completely new to me, I looked it up - I definitely need a real charger & bag, but I don't know what brands are good (or what review sites should be trusted).

Those of you with younger kids - I've got a 12 year old who really likes my new toy. What scale do you have your kids running?

If you want good cheap basher stuff, you can't go to far wrong with Hobby King's stuff

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Harik posted:

Those of you with younger kids - I've got a 12 year old who really likes my new toy. What scale do you have your kids running?

My nine year old has a Traxxes Stampede 1/10 running on lipo, it's more than fast enough to keep him amused.

My six year old has an HPI Wheely King, also on lipo with a axle steering mod and a slightly faster motor, not as quick as the Stampede but I don't want him having to much speed at that age.

They both love them and a couple of 5000mah batteries each is normal plenty to keep them amused.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kinda sucks that I purchased a Slash and an Axial Wraith, because they were the closest thing to a Trophy truck and a KOH Buggy at the time, now not even a year later axial has both vehicles that I really really want.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

Kinda sucks that I purchased a Slash and an Axial Wraith, because they were the closest thing to a Trophy truck and a KOH Buggy at the time, now not even a year later axial has both vehicles that I really really want.

I hear you. I have a vaterra Twin Hammers, which is KOH and I love it, but hosed if I don't want the bomber worse. And the Yeti Trophy truck is awesome as poo poo.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
CHRISTMAS FIRST RC!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLQUy6g40SQ

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That is absolutely amazing.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So, the girlfriend did pretty good this year and got me a Redcat Volcano EPX. It seems like a pretty great starting place to throw more money away on things with four wheels have fun. It's also great for our dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elgi-rq_tos
I am already looking at all the parts and ways I can upgrade and tinker with it. I found this video which seems like a really stupid/amazing long-term goal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kzsNYy9V8
For now, what's a good starter kit for tools/oil etc? The manual recommends cleaning the bearings with WD-40, but then you have to re-oil them after. I already found that canned air is great for cleaning the dirt out. I figure I'll worry about upgrading to the aluminum components once the plastic ones break.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Parts day! Time to finish a build!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Time for a new touring car, having a big crack at 13.5T Blinky this year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't understand how you can handle 13.5 touring, unless it's with a 1S battery? 21.5 seems like a rocket in a USGT car after running just the 25.5 VTA for so long. <17.5 locally is "expert mod" which is basically unlimited, and it's mindbendingly fast. Nearly impossible to marshal because the laps are at/under 10 seconds.

Had a good day of racing even if I did tear the right rear corner off of the USGT TC6.1. My old man switched from running a TC3 in VTA to another TC6.1... and I drat near ran him down at the end of the race, until I hit a dot with 30 seconds left. Amazing how well the TC3 still races despite being so heavy and so draggy on the drivetrain.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You've become slow in your old age ;)

21.5T is alright, the issue I have with it at least in my state is that there are poo poo drivers who pour money into tuned 21.5T motors. Or use illegal parts in those motors.

Now if you are going to do that poo poo, do it in Open. But those drivers are too poo poo for that class, so rather gently caress things up for the beginners or casual racers in 21.5T.

Whereas 13.5T doesn't really have that crap, plus I would like to challenge myself with a faster class rather than 17.5T, which isn't nationally sanctioned.

It's annoying that the Australian RC governing body only sanctions 21.5T Blinky, 13.5T Blinky and Open for touring car. It really needs a 17.5T class or bring back boosted for some motor classes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was slow when I was younger too. I tried a 10T mod in my TC3 once and pretty much instantly smashed it into a board.

I'm sticking mainly to tire-restricted classes where even if someone decided to be an rear end in a top hat and cheat on the motor (there is literally no tech inspection so who knows) it shouldn't make that much of a difference. The VTA tires have trouble hooking up sometimes even with the 25.5s, and my 21.5 car runs some stickier but still treaded spec tires:

There's a group in the club pushing to get some more rules / some actual tech inspection set up. We had one guy running in VTA with one of these bodies, wing and all. I don't want to go full on "MUST RUN NOVAK" but I'd love my TC3 to not be 100g+ overweight compared to everyone running lighter, newer cars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The VTA class at my track is dying (or well dead now). Some nights I was the only one racing it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a group in the club pushing to get some more rules / some actual tech inspection set up. We had one guy running in VTA with one of these bodies, wing and all. I don't want to go full on "MUST RUN NOVAK" but I'd love my TC3 to not be 100g+ overweight compared to everyone running lighter, newer cars.

I used to race loads when I lived in SoCal, racing at SoCal RC where the Tuesday night TC races were jokingly called the SoCal Nationals because everyone took it so seriously. I don't miss racing that much (especially now, with racers discharging their LiPo batteries into full-size car batteries and charging them at 20+ amps) but at least it wasn't like what you've got, with clearly questionable bodies and not much regard for spec rules. Although there were definitely motor cheaters and that one kid that bought a few stock motors every week to dyno them...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

We run a retro monster truck class in our club and the rules are 27t, non adjustable timing and we have several guys who (of course) purchased several cases of silver cans to dyno them. It's annoying yet also hilarious that someone would spend that much for a tiny advantage. I mean, I guess I sort of get touring cars on carpet but these are old school styled Tamiya Clodbusters with hardly any suspension. A little extra speed does not make a race.

Anyways, since I posted about slot car racing several weeks ago I have since finished my track and had several races. It's a loving BLAST racing digital slot cars and I'm extremely happy I've gotten into this as now I'm down the wormhole. Racing 6 cars on a track with passing, bumping, blocking is so much drat fun. I enjoyed slot cars as a kid but they were nothing like the stuff today. The cars are detailed enough to be display models but also very easy/fun to work on and hopup.

My track is built with 1:32 Scalextric and we race Vintage Trans Am and GT cars. The layout is 12' x 8'. It doesn't look too big in the picture but it's a pretty good size in person.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

A little extra speed does not make a race.

This is where I'm at. I'll worry about extracting tenths and hundredths out of my cars when I stop giving up whole seconds due to bad driving.

How does passing work on that?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Each controller has a throttle, brake controls, and a lane changing button. When you want to swap lanes you just hit the button before hitting a designated lane change section of track. My current setup has two, but you can easily add more and intend to have 4 on the straights, and 2 corner sections once I get the dough. On a digital track before setting up a race you bind the cars to the controller, much like an r/c.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I got a Traxxas Rustler for giggles (making my own Oscar Meyer RC Wienermobile). Is the default way to charge it really to plug up to a 12V DC car adapter thing? Is it just cheaping out on the manufacturer's part not to ship with an AC adapter? I guess it would have to be fairly beefy.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

I got a Traxxas Rustler for giggles (making my own Oscar Meyer RC Wienermobile). Is the default way to charge it really to plug up to a 12V DC car adapter thing? Is it just cheaping out on the manufacturer's part not to ship with an AC adapter? I guess it would have to be fairly beefy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ND7J38C?keywords=skyrc%20pro%20b6&qid=1452557813&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The Turnigy charger I got from hobbyking for $25 has worked well for five years. It does charging profiles for whatever battery type and balancing for lithium cells. They seem to be worth it for the money.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wife: "Oh hey, it's snowing"
Me: "Nice!"
Wife: "... are you happy because you're going to go play with your toy truck in the driveway?"

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2016

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

an AOL chatroom posted:

Wife: "Oh hey, it's snowing"
Me: "Nice!"
Wife: "... are you happy because you're going to go play with your toy truck in the driveway?"

:lol:

This owns hard.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally finished my VBC D08 on the weekend. Here's some piccies of it:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I've been getting out and having some fun with my SCX10. It started off as the Power Wagon, but I recently picked up a Deadbolt body that I stripped and repainted, then installed an LED kit and aluminum grille. It's turned into more of a trail truck than a rock crawler.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Drove my redcat 1/10th until it quit moving.

Fouled my wheels pretty bad with spanish moss:

Broke (or just lost?) the bolt holding on my front right shock - field repair!

Stripped the poo poo out of my spur & pinion. They were in bad shape to start with due to a missing bearing on the driveshaft leaving the spur too loose. Redcat sent me a replacement spur/motor mount set so I decided to drive these until they died.

Hit a hole at full speed. Cartwheeled for a good 30 feet and snapped the chassis:

The top side of the ripped off piece in the background here - you can see how the plastic tore. Check out the bend on the mounting bolts.

Good as new!

I had to decide between epoxy or super glue - decided the super glue would be too brittle. We'll see how it holds up.

Decided to balance the wheels while waiting on the replacement gears/bearing to arrive - this was actually the least unbalanced. There's enough teeth left on the pinion to spin the wheels in the air, and now it doesn't shake to pieces at full speed.

Need to hit the local surplus place for more nuts & bolts but it's mostly on the road again. A few design issues really stood out to me when working on it - everything is layered and overlapping pretty badly. For example: to adjust the gear tension you have to remove the spur gear since it overlaps the engine mount boltholes. To do that requires a complete dissassembly of the rear and removal of the drive shaft cover - I think 12 bolts plus removing the rear shocks and upper arms. Then partial re-assembly to see if your adjustment worked - at least you only need to hold the diff cover on to hold the spur in place enough. Expensive for what it was - a test to see if I wanted to get back into RC.

Definitely going to pick up a slash 4x4 next - either the 2015 model that can handle lipos (lowvoltage cutoff on the ESC) or a roller to put my own electronics in.

Question for the thread - who makes really good hardened hex bits? My craftsmen rounded nearly instantly. I ended up having to use a hardened torx, which is obviously non-optimal.

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 25, 2016

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Harik posted:

Question for the thread - who makes really good hardened hex bits? My craftsmen rounded nearly instantly. I ended up having to use a hardened torx, which is obviously non-optimal.

I use MIP speedtips on my rcs, last a long time and they grip the screws great. they also make hex drivers that i adore. tower/amain should have them

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Found a Losi Micro-T while perusing hobby shops in a nearby city. It's very fun!

I also ordered a couple parts from The Dude Racing in order to finish up getting all the parts to finish converting my XXL to electric. He just restocked some parts yesterday.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Picked up and built a TLR 22 3.0 this week. Holy crap. This thing is awesome! Tons of fun on the track!

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

nummy posted:

Picked up and built a TLR 22 3.0 this week. Holy crap. This thing is awesome! Tons of fun on the track!

The 22 3.0 looks killer, a few are popping up at my track these days and they looked to have improved some key features over the 2.0 (which i adored for 2 years driving it) but me doing all my 1:10 stuff on high grip carpet and astro, im going to stick with my old schumachers. they work like killers, but eats tires like there is a price for it.

Im currently in a bit of a conundrum when it comes to racing. i had a great deal with Mugen, and love the cars to bits. but the distribution of Mugen in scandinavia just changed hands to a dude who cant stand me, after we had a race incident at the natinonals a few years ago. and when he sent me an invoice or the stuff i had a written contract stating that it was covered 100% by sponsorship, i just returned the lot.

So here i am, having signed up for Neo 16, just lost my chassis sponsor and the TLR shop that i drive for is struggeling, so i dont have the balls too ask for more poo poo. so i bought up their remaining stockpile of 8ight 3.0s (two nitro and one E-buggy) and is hoping to be able to build them before going to Neo. I tested the 4.0 buggy, and its a fantastic piece of kit. its just not worth it for me to spend double the money to get the newest for one race. as Neo is the last international race im racing before moving to the states for a few years. Not that it bothers me, the 8ight 3.0 is a kick rear end rig, and im so rusty its not going to be the deciding factor that im racing the previous buggy.

wow. i went on a tangent. sorry. Enjoy your new buggy. what kind of track are you running on, and show off some pics of your sweet ride

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fjelltorsk posted:

The 22 3.0 looks killer, a few are popping up at my track these days and they looked to have improved some key features over the 2.0 (which i adored for 2 years driving it) but me doing all my 1:10 stuff on high grip carpet and astro, im going to stick with my old schumachers. they work like killers, but eats tires like there is a price for it.

Im currently in a bit of a conundrum when it comes to racing. i had a great deal with Mugen, and love the cars to bits. but the distribution of Mugen in scandinavia just changed hands to a dude who cant stand me, after we had a race incident at the natinonals a few years ago. and when he sent me an invoice or the stuff i had a written contract stating that it was covered 100% by sponsorship, i just returned the lot.

So here i am, having signed up for Neo 16, just lost my chassis sponsor and the TLR shop that i drive for is struggeling, so i dont have the balls too ask for more poo poo. so i bought up their remaining stockpile of 8ight 3.0s (two nitro and one E-buggy) and is hoping to be able to build them before going to Neo. I tested the 4.0 buggy, and its a fantastic piece of kit. its just not worth it for me to spend double the money to get the newest for one race. as Neo is the last international race im racing before moving to the states for a few years. Not that it bothers me, the 8ight 3.0 is a kick rear end rig, and im so rusty its not going to be the deciding factor that im racing the previous buggy.

wow. i went on a tangent. sorry. Enjoy your new buggy. what kind of track are you running on, and show off some pics of your sweet ride

I played with a 22 for a little bit a few weeks ago when my only 2wd point of comparison was my Slash.

Holy poo poo.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
No kidding Holy poo poo! My only points of reference were a 4x4 Slash (which I still have) and 10 years ago I had a nitro TMAXX. I still enjoy the slash, but not nearly as much as the 3.0. This was also my first time building a kit. Took a little longer than it probably should have, but it was a lot of fun. Reminded me of building a Lego kit, but at the end I have a sweet RC car to drive!

The track I go to is about an hour from my house. I think it's probably about 65x100, high bite dirt. They seem to have a pretty active race community as well. Club racing 2 nights per week, 'novice night', and open practice 4ish days per week.

I'm brand new to the track aspect of RC. I have always loved racing games on my consoles and driving go-karts (or anything with wheels really), so it wasn't hard to convince myself to jump into it.

I'll try to get some pics up later today.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

fjelltorsk posted:

having signed up for Neo 16

I'll be there with the RC Racing TV crew, mostly I'll be on camera but you should see me around. Sucks about your chassis sponsor but that's the nature of the racing industry at the moment (but really it's always like that).

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Pics!! http://imgur.com/a/fRgVT

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I just bought a 1/24 Losi Rally X. This is the best RTR I have ever driven for the price. What a cool little loving car.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

PaintVagrant posted:

I just bought a 1/24 Losi Rally X. This is the best RTR I have ever driven for the price. What a cool little loving car.

All the current poo poo is amazing. The 1/24 and 1/16th stuff is badass as gently caress - just goddamn flies around.

I still want a 1/5th scale gasser, but other priorities in the budget :/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm annoyed this evening because I thought I would be able to finish the conversion of my Losi XXL from nitro to electric but some of the parts I bought aren't compatible. I had bought many parts last year since the official conversion kit was discontinued and unavailable everywhere with the exception of two (a single speed hub and motor mount). Those came in and while I was assembling them, one of the screws was stripped and I didn't have any pairs. I also found out that the battery mounts I bought don't nicely fit with the chassis.

Did some searching to see if I could find a new one only to discover the company put out a whole new conversion kit which was the only way to get the parts I needed. Except it is only compatible with a forward-only transmission and my current one is two-way. So, I had to buy that as well.

Long story short, I chose the absolute worst time to buy parts to convert this truck and ended up with various pieces of two different conversion kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dear thread, what's your favorite method for discharging / disposing of old RC lipos? I've got some ~five year old hardcases that are swelling enough to nearly pop the case halves apart, so I'm calling them done and ordering some replacements.