Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wasn't that the one that had some line to the tune of "critical thinking and/or the scientific method teaches kids to question obedience to traditional authority figures, so none of that in our god-fearin' schools," or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah, that was the gist of it.

RPZip posted:

What's her theory?

That young women don't understand that Roe v Wade could be overturned at literally any minute and so have to elect Clinton instead of someone else. It's a dumb loving theory like everything else she thinks and says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Also note that lots of basic 3Rs level stuff is now controversial. Just looking at science, I could teachers getting censured for teaching basic science, like half of biology, psychology, or some basic physics stuff like relativity, since a good number of idiots have tried to politicize the stuff that disagrees with their worldview. I'd say this sounds crazy, but it legit seems like the frontrunners in the rightwing downward spiral (OK) are now totally cool with killing STEM funding for public schools. I guess ruining public ed is fine, because we certainly don't need a new generation of tech workers or engineers-- we can all be poo poo kickers or rear end-ignorant dirt farmers instead. It'll build character.
No, your too-poor-for-a-good-private-school kid will be a poo poo kicker or rear end-ignorant dirt farmer (or service industry worker). The rich's kids'll be the ones taking all those lucrative STEM jobs (until Silicon Valley gets its way and H1-B visas are extended and a bunch of foreigners are shipped in to take their jobs, anyway. And then there's always management!)

Coincidentally your kids will be too ignorant and working too many hours just to stay alive to do time-wasting things like pay attention to current events or vote, thus leaving the job of choosing a government to their betters as God intended. Its win/win!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

People are angry about relativity in high school physics? I want to see people rail against Galilean relativity.

Come to think of it we had some very basic special relativity for the AP Physics B exam so I guess they could rail against that?

Did you never read the Conservapedia thread? Schlafly had a whole thing about Relativity not being real. He was comparing it moral relativity or something. He's also a trained electrical engineer that didn't want to teach people complex numbers. You also see certain conservative Christians get bent out of shape about set theory, since multiple unequal infinities are an affront to their beliefs. It's just using whatever warbling about Jesus they come up with to stay as ignorant as possible for as long as possible. We're at the point where this is going to reduce the ability of flyover country to properly educate their children to be part of the current economy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Rational basis = does the lawmaker have a justification and goal in mind? It's not in any way at all a high bar to clear, duder.

Yes, exactly. Which is why your preference that asking about guns remains legal and conversion therapy being illegal doesn't matter before a court of law. If restricting one isn't a 1A problem then neither is the other, being the setting for both is in a state licensed professional's office. The time to argue a rational basis issue is before the legislature, not the court, and if the legislators don't listen you're up the creek.

Maybe this has already been addressed, but you know what kicks things up to strict or intermediate scrutiny right? The discriminatory targetting of a specific race, sex, or yes, orientation. I haven't read the caselaw on the Californian case, but there's a huge gulf between that, and what is occuring in Florida.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Shageletic posted:

puzzle scratchers like calling for wi-fi on subways when the real issue is overcapacity

Because we can't possibly deal with more than one problem at a time. Lack of connectivity on the subway is an issue that should be dealt with, as is overcrowding. I wouldn't say overcrowding is the "real issue" anyway; much bigger problems include absurdly frequent maintenance during peak hours on weekends that close dozens of critical stops, the lack of train arrival displays at many stops, and of course, the difficultly of traversing west-east anywhere except midtown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Did you never read the Conservapedia thread? Schlafly had a whole thing about Relativity not being real. He was comparing it moral relativity or something. He's also a trained electrical engineer that didn't want to teach people complex numbers. You also see certain conservative Christians get bent out of shape about set theory, since multiple unequal infinities are an affront to their beliefs. It's just using whatever warbling about Jesus they come up with to stay as ignorant as possible for as long as possible. We're at the point where this is going to reduce the ability of flyover country to properly educate their children to be part of the current economy.

I had to explain to a guy how relativity allows us to use GPS. He didn't believe me, and said Einstein made it all up.

When asked why he believed that, he said his preacher had said relativity was atheist hogwash. This is middle Georgia.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hi, my mom in California believes fossils are fabricated by scientists for the money and fame.

:)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oracle posted:

No, your too-poor-for-a-good-private-school kid will be a poo poo kicker or rear end-ignorant dirt farmer (or service industry worker). The rich's kids'll be the ones taking all those lucrative STEM jobs (until Silicon Valley gets its way and H1-B visas are extended and a bunch of foreigners are shipped in to take their jobs, anyway. And then there's always management!)

Coincidentally your kids will be too ignorant and working too many hours just to stay alive to do time-wasting things like pay attention to current events or vote, thus leaving the job of choosing a government to their betters as God intended. Its win/win!

Yeah, but this seems to be happening in dirt farming country, not the decent US (i.e. the coasts) Isn't that just going to continue to turn places like OK or KS into more and more impoverished hellholes? I get that the average voter there doesn't care (seeing as their family tree must be a straight line to see these ideas are acceptable) but the politicians must, since you need some wealth in your state to really have any real power in a democratic country. And employers of even low-end jobs would probably prefer to have employees that are more competent and capable of handling situations that go off script.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

MariusLecter posted:

Hi, my mom in California believes fossils are fabricated by scientists for the money and fame.

The family of a former friend of mine, back in VT, believe the same sort of nonsense, that fossils are either hoaxes or put there by the devil to mislead the faithful. So as much as I'd like to claim otherwise, this isn't (solely) something to use to mock middle America/the south.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

All those famous paleontologists, like Dr. Grant

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The family of a former friend of mine, back in VT, believe the same sort of nonsense, that fossils are either hoaxes or put there by the devil to mislead the faithful. So as much as I'd like to claim otherwise, this isn't (solely) something to use to mock middle America/the south.

She did spend a few years here in Texas though, so the results remain inconclusive.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

What, all of them? Even all the tiny ones I drill up from a mile beneath the sea floor? Or just the big glamorous that support obvious lies like dinosaurs?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MariusLecter posted:

She's not wrong (about some of them)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

True story, on the 8'th day god went around planting things like dinosaur bones because he's a huge oval office.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, but this seems to be happening in dirt farming country, not the decent US (i.e. the coasts) Isn't that just going to continue to turn places like OK or KS into more and more impoverished hellholes? I get that the average voter there doesn't care (seeing as their family tree must be a straight line to see these ideas are acceptable) but the politicians must, since you need some wealth in your state to really have any real power in a democratic country.
Public education is under attack everywhere, amigo. And why would politicians need wealth in their states when you've got guys like the Koch Bros willing to bankroll them?

quote:

And employers of even low-end jobs would probably prefer to have employees that are more competent and capable of handling situations that go off script.
Sure, that's why you make public education crap. The smart poor kids will be able to do this anyway, and you make them management of your McDonald's. Otherwise they might go off to college and try to make something of themselves or something and then you might have to pay them more.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommieGIR posted:

I had to explain to a guy how relativity allows us to use GPS. He didn't believe me, and said Einstein made it all up.

When asked why he believed that, he said his preacher had said relativity was atheist hogwash. This is middle Georgia.

Having been to backwater Georgia a bunch to go to MCLB Albany, I can attest that this thinking is par for the course there.

I get that Relativity is really hard to get your head around (quantum mechanics is even worse) but the ability of people to give up on it because of this and the name is real depressing. Relativity is named rather poorly, since what it's saying is that light is not relative at all. But good luck explaining that to the average poo poo kicker out there who barely can understand how a modern car engine works.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rkajdi posted:

Having been to backwater Georgia a bunch to go to MCLB Albany, I can attest that this thinking is par for the course there.

I get that Relativity is really hard to get your head around (quantum mechanics is even worse) but the ability of people to give up on it because of this and the name is real depressing. Relativity is named rather poorly, since what it's saying is that light is not relative at all. But good luck explaining that to the average poo poo kicker out there who barely can understand how a modern car engine works.

Relative to you, maybe. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Well, to be fair, explaining to people how space flight works tends to be met with 'Well, I bet the moon landings were all faked/exaggerated anyways' a lot around here.

And Georgia is a state famous for fighting for the Religious Freedom of Creationism in the classroom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shakugan posted:

Because we can't possibly deal with more than one problem at a time. Lack of connectivity on the subway is an issue that should be dealt with, as is overcrowding. I wouldn't say overcrowding is the "real issue" anyway; much bigger problems include absurdly frequent maintenance during peak hours on weekends that close dozens of critical stops, the lack of train arrival displays at many stops, and of course, the difficultly of traversing west-east anywhere except midtown.

Overcrowding is a major issue on the 4, 5, and 6 even when the system is running perfectly. It's why the 2nd avenue line has gotten as far as it has. His plan doesn't seem to address this and instead calls for even more disruptive station closures.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

I would go one step further and say that teachers are able to focus on teaching because of the union. It provides professional stability and a defined wage/benefit structure so they can concentrate on the kids. Far from being adversarial with the public interest, public sector unions reduces the employer-employee tension and allows both sides to get on with the business of providing a vital service. In some cases the relationship can actually get too close, but I don't think that's true of teachers unions for the most part.

This brings to mind the Volkswagon unionization shitshow in TN, where you had the company supporting unionization, since work councils and the like in Germany have a central role in stabilizing relationships between labor and management, while maintaining a loyal, intelligent, and hard-working workforce, only to have local politicians and Bob Corker railing against it, to the extent of Corker promising to kick out VW from TN if it happened.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shageletic posted:

This brings to mind the Volkswagon unionization shitshow in TN, where you had the company supporting unionization, since work councils and the like in Germany have a central role in stabilizing relationships between labor and management, while maintaining a loyal, intelligent, and hard-working workforce, only to have local politicians and Bob Corker railing against it, to the extent of Corker promising to kick out VW from TN if it happened.

The Free Market has spoken!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Yup. Plenty of things to criticize Cuomo on (helping to keep the NY legislature Republican, ethics malfeasance, not doing anything on infrastructure other than bloviating (and puzzle scratchers like calling for wi-fi on subways when the real issue is overcapacity), etc, but here's another reason to consider him definitely not ideal (already posted this in the NYC LAN thread):

http://nypost.com/2016/01/11/cuomos-failure-to-choose-a-state-chairman-is-destroying-the-party/

Jesus loving Christ! That's a disaster waiting to happen. poo poo, if things don't improve could New York State be in play for the Republicans if the ground game is garbage?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Every 4 years there'd be a new crop of bright eyed, optimistic college graduates to replace all of the disillusioned veteran teachers just to cut down on costs.

This is already happening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Newtonian-Galilean relativity is an important concept in high school physics.

Its also technically wrong but its fine for most of the solar system.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shakugan posted:

The main problem is train delays and shutdowns steadily increasing and performance dropping over the last several years, and the MTA not having any concrete plan to address them.

The things that might nominally affect it, like upgrading the traffic to computerized, automatic signaling (this has been royally hosed by the MTA, as they've engaged in an incredibly expensive boondogle to contractors instead), will not directly affect as the city continues to grow its transportation riding public, the MTA performance has consistently gotten worse in doing its basic job, getting them to their desired destinations.

Train arrival displays, while useful, doesn't get to this core issue, and its something Cuomo has actually sabotaged, as his constant backstabbing of Deblasio has lessened the pressure for the MTA to reform itself (and instead the MTA takes billions of dollars that NYC raised with the express purpose of investing in NYC subway and track, and invests it elsewhere).

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Swan Oat posted:

Well yes teachers should be focused on teaching, but the union isn't a teacher.

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with in my post, but yes.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, but this seems to be happening in dirt farming country, not the decent US (i.e. the coasts) Isn't that just going to continue to turn places like OK or KS into more and more impoverished hellholes?

No, it's going to turn OK and KS into Districts 11 and 12. As long as we placate their egos with 'common sense' and 'salt of the earth' thinking, we can continue to take their oil, minerals, and produce without a care in the world.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

This is already happening.

Oh, I know.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just started catching up on the doctor gun thing and what in the ever loving gently caress is this nonsense?

Is the 11th circuit just that lovely at all times?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wasn't that the one that had some line to the tune of "critical thinking and/or the scientific method teaches kids to question obedience to traditional authority figures, so none of that in our god-fearin' schools," or am I thinking of something else?

Correct! From the current Texas Republican Party Platform:

quote:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Also some other goodies:

quote:

Affirmative Action - Inasmuch as the Civil Rights Movement argued against using race as a factor in American life, affirmative action reintroduces race as a divisive force in American life. The Republican Party of Texas believes in equal opportunity for all citizens without regard to race or gender. To that end, we oppose affirmative action.

Reparations - We oppose any form of reparation.
Protection from Extreme Environmentalists – We strongly oppose all efforts of the extreme environmental groups that stymie legitimate business interests. We strongly oppose those efforts that attempt to use the environmental causes to purposefully disrupt and stop those interests within the oil and gas industry. We strongly support the immediate repeal of the Endangered Species Act. We strongly oppose the listing of the dune sage brush lizard either as a threatened or an endangered species. We believe the Environmental Protection Agency should be abolished.
The Rights of a Sovereign People - The Republican Party of Texas supports the historic concept, established by our nations’ founders, of limited civil government jurisdiction under the natural laws of God, and repudiates the humanistic doctrine that the state is sovereign over the affairs of men, the family and the church.
Electoral College - We strongly support the Electoral College.
Marriage and Divorce - We believe in the sanctity of marriage and that the integrity of this institution should be protected at all levels of government. We urge the Legislature to rescind no-fault divorce laws. We support Covenant Marriage.
Homosexuality ― We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle, in public policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values.
Unprocessed Foods ― We support the availability of natural, unprocessed foods, including, but not limited to, the right to access raw milk.
Immunizations ― All adult citizens should have the legal right to conscientiously choose which vaccines are administered to themselves or their minor children without penalty for refusing a vaccine. We oppose any effort by any authority to mandate such vaccines or any medical database that would contain personal records of citizens without their consent.
Sex Education – We recognize parental responsibility and authority regarding sex education. We believe that parents must be given an opportunity to review the material prior to giving their consent. We oppose any sex education other than abstinence until marriage.
Equality of All Citizens – We deplore all discrimination. We also deplore forced sensitivity training and urge repeal of any mandate requiring it. We urge immediate repeal of the Hate Crimes Law. Until the Hate Crimes Law is totally repealed, we urge the Legislature to immediately remove the education curriculum mandate and the sexual orientation category in said Law.
GMO Labeling - We support labeling of all products containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs), as well as cloned organisms, in a uniform and recognizable fashion.
Smart Meters - We oppose the mandated use of Smart Meters as well as the use of collected data to reduce freedoms of U.S. citizens.
Workers’ Compensation – We urge the Legislature to resist making Workers’ Compensation mandatory for all Texas employers.
Minimum Wage – We believe the Minimum Wage Law should be repealed.
United Nations – We support the withdrawal of the United States from the United Nations and the removal of U.N. headquarters from U.S. soil.
United Nations Agenda 21 -The Republican Party of Texas should expose all United Nations Agenda 21 treaty policies and its supporting organizations, agreements and contracts. We oppose implementation of the UN Agenda 21 Program which was adopted at the Earth Summit Conference in 1992 purporting to promote a comprehensive program of sustainable development projects, nationally, regionally and locally. We oppose the influence, promotion and implementation of nongovernmental organizations, metropolitan and/or regional planning organizations, Councils of Government, and International Council for Local Environmental initiatives and the use of American (Texas) citizen’s taxes to promote these programs.
Birthright Citizenship – We call on the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of the United States to clarify Section 1 of the 14th amendment to limit citizenship by birth to those born to a citizen of the United States with no exceptions.

And Bonus Isreal Israel:

quote:

Israel – We believe that the United States and Israel share a special long-standing relationship based on shared values, a mutual commitment to a republican form of government, and a strategic alliance that benefits both nations. Our foreign policy with Israel should reflect the special nature of this relationship through continued military and economic assistance and recognition that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths. We believe that the US Embassy should be located in Jerusalem. In our diplomatic dealings with Israel, we encourage the continuation of peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians, but oppose pressuring Israel to make concessions it believes would jeopardize its security, including the trading of land for the recognition of its right to exist. We call on the U.S. to cease strong arming Israel through prior agreements with the understanding of delivering equipment to them to defend themselves in exchange for future diplomatic concessions, such as giving up land to the Palestinians on the West Bank. We support the continuation of non-recognition of terrorist nations and organizations. Our policy is based on God’s biblical promise to bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse Israel and we further invite other nations and organizations to enjoy the benefits of that promise.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 12, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

haveblue posted:

Overcrowding is a major issue on the 4, 5, and 6 even when the system is running perfectly. It's why the 2nd avenue line has gotten as far as it has. His plan doesn't seem to address this and instead calls for even more disruptive station closures.

Can I move to your alternate reality in which the second avenue line is anything but the fever dream of some manic city planners?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

quote:

Unprocessed Foods ― We support the availability of natural, unprocessed foods, including, but not limited to, the right to access raw milk.

Raw milk. It always seems to come back to raw milk with these idiots. :allears:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CommieGIR posted:

That is absolutely what they said.

Critical thinking encourages people to question official positions on things. They don't like that.

It's things like this that make me wonder if conservatives were replaced by some comedy actors working off a really dark script about a decade back. It'd certainly explain Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For balance, here's the "kooky" planks from the Texas Democratic Party Platform (2012):

quote:

 promote multi-language instruction, beginning in elementary school, to make all students fluent in English and at least one other language;
 comprehensive age-appropriate sex education programs with an abstinence and contraception component, to reduce dropout rates due to unintended pregnancy; and
 access to affordable programs for adults who have dropped out of the education process.
 efforts to place a voting student regent on the appointed governing board of each state-
supported four-year institution of higher education; and
 the continuation of the Texas DREAM Act and passage of the federal DREAM Act.
 workers have a right to a safe workplace, free from injury and exposure to harmful materials, and meaningful sanctions must apply to employers who knowingly or negligently expose workers to injury or death;
 workers and employers both benefit from a workers' compensation system that provides affordable coverage for employers, meaningful compensation to injured workers, the right of workers to choose their own doctor,
support protecting Texans from the dangers of secondhand smoke exposure in workplaces including bars and restaurants. All employees should be protected from exposure to secondhand smoke in the workplace; and
 recognize that the most efficient and universal and adequate way to provide health care is through a single payer system.
we must protect Texans from:.. unlabeled GMOs sold to the public.
 the President’s Climate Action Plan and the EPA’s historic carbon pollution reduction initiative, the Clean Power Plan, and the proposed rules to cut carbon dioxide emissions from existing power plants by 30% (below 2005 levels) by 2030;
there are cleaner technologies/fuel sources and there should be a moratorium in the state of Texas on the building of new coal or petroleum coke burning power plants and we support retirement of the oldest, heavy-polluting, coal burning Texas power plants that are so outdated that pollution controls are not an economically viable option;
 in opposing the destruction of our natural resources by coal strip mining;
 in the enforcement of the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act for all industries;
 preventing officers, who have been terminated for violating civil rights and using unwarranted and excessive force, from moving to another jurisdiction;
allowing every survivor of a sexual assault access to a sexual assault examination ...All costs of the examination, treatment including medications shall be covered by the Crime Victims Compensation Fund and not the financial responsibility of the victim.
revising sentencing guidelines for non-violent offenders, redirecting the “War on Drugs” to treatment, and reclassifying some offenses considered felonies. We support the U.S. Justice Department guidelines in limiting mandatory minimum sentencing in Federal nonviolent drug cases. We further support reduction of small amounts of controlled substances to misdemeanors and emphasis on drug treatment and Drug Court diversion programs for other felony drug cases;
DECRIMINALIZATION OF MARIJUANA (All caps and bold in source lol)
Texas Democrats support the creation of a uniform, transparent, and streamlined legal process for transgender Texans to obtain accurate identity documents.
 the development of a state rail plan for Texas to be eligible for federal high-speed rail funding;
 support a ban on the use of all methods of torture, including waterboarding, indefinite
detention of persons without charges or legal representation, and other policies that violate
or conflict with the values embodied by the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution;
 support a definite timetable for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention facility;

Bonus Israel:

quote:

 maintain our long-standing policy that a true, mutually respectful peace with safe and secure borders for two states dedicated to peace and democracy – a Jewish homeland in Israel and a Palestinian homeland –can only result from direct negotiations between willing and responsible partners;

See Both Parties Are the Same!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Can I move to your alternate reality in which the second avenue line is anything but the fever dream of some manic city planners?

As long as it's a reality where Staten Island isn't run and populated with racist poo poo heads and public transit isn't an absurd near nonexistent joke I'd like to come

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

Newtonian-Galilean relativity is an important concept in high school physics.

Its also technically wrong but its fine for most of the solar system.

Which is great until you start doing college level work, including your first few college prep classes. You can't get through a decent STEM education without understanding how a good amount of this "heretical" science works. We need to be preparing our kids for success when they come up to these ideas, instead of hiding them so kids get blindsided in college when poo poo gets real.

Increased scientific literacy (and hell, regular literacy while we're at it) is what it's going to take to make people capable of operating in a modern society. At this rate, all you're getting KS and OK to turn into is The Land That Hope Forgot (But Meth Still Remembers). We already have an Alabama and a Mississippi, we can't afford a second of each.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Trabisnikof posted:

For balance, here's the "kooky" planks from the Texas Democratic Party Platform (2012):

Bonus Israel:

See Both Parties Are the Same!

Is it still legal to smoke in bars, restaurants, and offices in Texas?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Increased scientific literacy (and hell, regular literacy while we're at it) is what it's going to take to make people capable of operating in a modern society. At this rate, all you're getting KS and OK to turn into is The Land That Hope Forgot (But Meth Still Remembers). We already have an Alabama and a Mississippi, we can't afford a second of each.

Carl said it best:

quote:

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. - Carl Sagan

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

rkajdi posted:

Which is great until you start doing college level work, including your first few college prep classes. You can't get through a decent STEM education without understanding how a good amount of this "heretical" science works. We need to be preparing our kids for success when they come up to these ideas, instead of hiding them so kids get blindsided in college when poo poo gets real.

I've heard a lot of anecdotes of creationist doctors and biologists (Ben Carson for example) who just compartmentalize their science knowledge from "God's Truth". It's how stuff like "microevolution" becomes a term.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

foobardog posted:

I've heard a lot of anecdotes of creationist doctors and biologists (Ben Carson for example) who just compartmentalize their science knowledge from "God's Truth". It's how stuff like "microevolution" becomes a term.

Well, and the issue is (especially in places in the South like Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, etc.) these nuts then get positions on the school board and start changing the lesson plans to insert their own home spun wisdom, despite the fact that the courts have time and again told them to knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is it still legal to smoke in bars, restaurants, and offices in Texas?

I'm pretty sure these are left up to individual communities, cities to control through local ordinances.

It's really amazing how quickly society got on board with anti-smoking policy being the accepted norm.

• Locked thread