Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Jesus are we still talking about that BB that didn't pen the angled cruiser? News flash, IJN cruisers are literally entirely citadels and the difference between your BB landing a close range citadel devastating strike and bouncing a bunch of shots is like 10 degrees of bow angle mixed with a nice dose of dispersion luck.

Anyway, the Benson is one loving hell of a ship and I can't believe how hard I'm carrying games. Topping XP in tier 9 games without even torping anyone sometimes. It is a point capping beast with solid torps, good detection and guns that let you murder any other DD. The only real weakness is gun arc/shot velocity making long range shots on agile targets a challenge, and torps that are pretty slow. The Fletcher next tier fixes one of those (66knt torps vs 55) and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://youtu.be/kFXcnUtMT4A

:ohdear:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, Rank 10 achieved. Well on track for the Jolly Roger so far.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Steel Ocean is actually amazing fun. I thought it was a bit clunky during the first two battles but 4 hours later and I'm pretty hooked. Quite arcadey and fast paced :)

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm looking for advice concerning the final upgrade to install on my Iowa. I'm seriously hesitating between Artillery Plotting Room 2 which increases main battery accuracy, but does not say by how much, and Main Battery Modifications 3 which reduces main battery loading time and traverse speed by 12% and 17% respectively.
What's the general goon opinion about those upgrades?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El_Molestadore posted:

Steel Ocean is actually amazing fun. I thought it was a bit clunky during the first two battles but 4 hours later and I'm pretty hooked. Quite arcadey and fast paced :)

Steel Ocean is basically this game but actually a good game and got me to uninstall and stop playing WoWS.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Karanas posted:

I'm looking for advice concerning the final upgrade to install on my Iowa. I'm seriously hesitating between Artillery Plotting Room 2 which increases main battery accuracy, but does not say by how much, and Main Battery Modifications 3 which reduces main battery loading time and traverse speed by 12% and 17% respectively.
What's the general goon opinion about those upgrades?

Are you sure that's what the second one does, because usually that upgrade makes you reload slower in exchange for faster turrets.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
That's modification 2. Modification 3 is available starting at t9 apparently

Edit: oh wait I misread the description. It says -17% traverse speed. So basically it's the opposite of modifications 2

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Karanas posted:

That's modification 2. Modification 3 is available starting at t9 apparently

Edit: oh wait I misread the description. It says -17% traverse speed. So basically it's the opposite of modifications 2

Correct. The reload speed mod increases turret traverse time. But it increases your DPS, one of the few ways BBs can up their damage output.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
ok so what would be generally better? Accuracy or DPS?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'd probably go with the accuracy increase. But that's because my BB playstyle has me do a lot of weaving about, fighting at closer ranges than most battleships players and hence having to turn my turrets quite a bit more.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Mikhail Kurtzov available in the NA store now, 50 bucks for the ship and 1k dubloons. Its a fun looking ship but its hard to drop 50 on another Tier 8 cruiser when I've got the Atago.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Fifty dollars ouch but hey that's WG right?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

cheese posted:

Mikhail Kurtzov available in the NA store now, 50 bucks for the ship and 1k dubloons.

I encountered one today. Myoukou didn't do much to it even firing at its broadside from close range. Fucker dropped a mean torpedo spread too.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

demonR6 posted:

Fifty dollars ouch but hey that's WG right?

They really overcharge for their premiums in this game, especially compared to WoT. I think I would have dropped money on this game if they had reasonably priced bundles.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

They really overcharge for their premiums in this game, especially compared to WoT. I think I would have dropped money on this game if they had reasonably priced bundles.
I'd buy the tirpitz and mikhail at 30 bucks each, or like 75 for the two with a bunch of dubloons and flags and premium time. Oh well.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Pure speculation but I have a feeling they know their target market and somehow WWI-II ship grognards have much more disposable income than WWI-II tank grognards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pacra posted:

Pure speculation but I have a feeling they know their target market and somehow WWI-II ship grognards have much more disposable income than WWI-II tank grognards.

You'd think that but then you'd talk to some of the tanks whales.

Incidentally I'm still loving livid they're pulling the whole dubloons bullshit. No it doesn't have anything with the over a million free xp and hundreds of dollars worth of gold I've got in tanks (some of which I even bought).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pacra posted:

Personally, I have a different theory: it takes much more effort to get a ship in the game than it does to add a new tank, and WG prices accordingly.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ArchangeI posted:

Personally, I have a different theory: it takes much more effort to get a ship in the game than it does to add a new tank, and WG prices accordingly.

They do seem to have a shitload more polys.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, and a whole fuckload of subpixel geometry they can't be bothered to make any form of supersampling for. They can't even be bothered to make a scaling UI work so I can use virtual resolution to help out. Then again they can't figure out that some giant whales have 21:9 screens and that aspect ratio.

I also think they've pissed off a lot of archives, so there's even more work there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I also think they've pissed off a lot of archives, so there's even more work there.

I'm sensing a story there.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Mikhail really needs AFT skill, but even without it you can make good use of it close range. Also easy to farm xp with!

e:

AP inside 10 km to broadside is awesome.
That's with premium 50% xp camo, 50% xp flag and premium account btw.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 13, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wdarkk posted:

I'm sensing a story there.

I think it has something to do with the fact that they're purchasing archival material hand over fist that would otherwise be open to public use and examination, and then closing off access and monetizing it in the form of ~protected corporate information~ (to prevent others from more easily copying their game to a tee) or utilizing it in the form of those Russian WoT-badged books that resemble the paperbacks Osprey Publishing puts out (which, granted, only hardcore modelers and MilHist grognards ever buy).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Murmansk: fair, and balanced.

I went up the west side of three-cap Solomon Islands from the south spawn, torpedoed a Minekaze blind more or less by accident, sank a Furutaka at point blank (it's literally all citadel) and set fire to a Wyoming (didn't get the kill). Continued up the northern side, sank a destroyer, an Omaha, another Murmansk (they were shooting HE at me. why would you do that.) and ended the match by torpedoing an AFK Wyoming and killing a dumb Gremyashcy at the same time as the torpedoes hit for a double strike. g loving g. A pity I've been too lazy to activate replays.

Also, with AFT and the spotting plane the Murmansk has over 21 km main gun range :pwn:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 12, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Your monthly reminder

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

TheFluff posted:

The Murmansk: fair, and balanced.

Also, with AFT and the spotting plane the Murmansk has over 21 km main gun range :pwn:

Yeah, i just burnt a Bogue to death from across the map using that. goota get those fires. Only anther.. oooh.. 280 to go.

Murmansk may well be my favorite ship in the game. It's just so hilariously silly for it's tier.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Anyone have the Mikhail? It seems like such an odd ship, a Cleveland-like that doesnt have very good HE, and with smoke that is not actually very useful for a CL, set up in matches where almost every other cruiser is a CA... for 50-something bucks.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Blinks77 posted:

Yeah, i just burnt a Bogue to death from across the map using that. goota get those fires. Only anther.. oooh.. 280 to go.

Murmansk may well be my favorite ship in the game. It's just so hilariously silly for it's tier.

Fires for ships with tits mission? Arent those must be done with tier 6 ship minimum?

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

Fires for ships with tits mission? Arent those must be done with tier 6 ship minimum?

Yes, which is why I only have 12 destroyer kills instead of 25. When I was queuing in my 6s earlier today it was generally 2 carriers - 4 battleships - 35 cruisers - 4 destroyers within my range.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, which is why I only have 12 destroyer kills instead of 25. When I was queuing in my 6s earlier today it was generally 2 carriers - 4 battleships - 35 cruisers - 4 destroyers within my range.
Those seem to be more or less usual numbers on EU here. I finished 30 DDs mission last week though. Thank gods for Ognevoi.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Pubbie said he's gonna go check my profile to see if I am poo poo (I did say team was incompetent :v:)

Pubbie is quiet for rest of the game. Silly pubbie :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pacra posted:

Anyone have the Mikhail? It seems like such an odd ship, a Cleveland-like that doesnt have very good HE, and with smoke that is not actually very useful for a CL, set up in matches where almost every other cruiser is a CA... for 50-something bucks.

I watched a review where the guy made the point that it's a support ship. Stick in the midfield or keep yourself within AAA range of your most valuable direct-action ship. It has T10-level anti-air on a T8 hull.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone had really bad, almost constant lag problems and disconnects for the last week or so? It showed up suddenly, and I've tried everything network troubleshooting-wise up to and including going over to someone else's house and seeing if I still have the problem there. It's like there's some routing bullshit between Seattle and Wargaming's NA servers or something.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are the US carriers well regarded? I may try this game and that'd prob be where I focus since I'm a real piece of poo poo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Are the US carriers well regarded? I may try this game and that'd prob be where I focus since I'm a real piece of poo poo.

They're more or less OK at lower tiers, but at tier 9/10 they're OP as poo poo. Main downside is that you will ALWAYS be paired with another, equal-tier carrier on the enemy team, and "your team's carrier is notably less competent" is a prime defeat causer. Unless you mean "real piece of poo poo" to mean you enjoy inflicting pain, in which case enjoy the Essex.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ok, thanks!

Also lmao @ World of Warplanes still being a thing. Did that ever get popular? I see they added a good many more planes since I played early in beta, but it seems War Thunder kinda had that genre on lock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Ok, thanks!

Also lmao @ World of Warplanes still being a thing. Did that ever get popular? I see they added a good many more planes since I played early in beta, but it seems War Thunder kinda had that genre on lock.

The only time WoWP was ever 'popular' was when they had that promo going on during E3 in its launch year where they bribed their player base with gold rewards to fill the servers so attendees would have ample opponents and quick loading queues. The moment E3 ended the game pretty much flatlined.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only time WoWP was ever 'popular' was when they had that promo going on during E3 in its launch year where they bribed their player base with gold rewards to fill the servers so attendees would have ample opponents and quick loading queues. The moment E3 ended the game pretty much flatlined.

A decent number tried it at launch. However nobody told them that they probably shouldn't be making major changes right before getting huge numbers of people to play the game because they might just make the most unfun meta the game's ever seen.

Crying shame, because WT's approach to arcade is incredibly bad, and the harder core modes bring too much sim baggage to be casual fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I wonder if they could sort of salvage it by
A) Fixing the most egregious problems
and
B) "Relaunching" it as "WoWP 2"