Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blinkman987 posted:

To take a slightly different spin on what Krispy said--

People who play the lottery are kinda dumb/poor and will continue to make dumb/poor decisions. Their entire social network will be full of dumb/poor people and if there's something that people with tons of money love, it's people validating all their decisions with no consequences. And getting new friends is going to be basically impossible because who wants to hang around dumb people who have no social standing or learned class? Rich people already have plenty of rich friends. The only time it becomes time to adopt-a-moron is when it's time to fleece the unsophisticated mark or mock them in some real-life Trading Places homage.

Most people here may be weird, but they're probably of above average intelligence or at the very least skilled in some way. This group is far beyond the skills and intelligence of the average lottery player. It's going to be really hard to access the mindset of someone who thinks that playing the lottery every week is a good decision.

I largely agree but I think the cross section of people that will throw a few bucks at a huge mega jackpot is far, far larger than the type that blindly play their numbers day to day/week to week on Pick 3, Pick 4, Lotto, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The last powerball had no winner. Millions of people played and no one won. Why the gently caress would you play a lottery with odds so crappy?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
i can think of 1.3 billion reasons bro :c00lbert:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

The last powerball had no winner. Millions of people played and no one won. Why the gently caress would you play a lottery with odds so crappy?

Because people are also Bad With Large Numbers And Probability.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I always contribute $2 to my office pool to hedge against them actually winning and my company no longer having enough employees to function.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
The naive expected value is actually worth playing now.

But add any nuance and it's still a crappy investment: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2016/01/powerball.html

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When it gets big like this I like to throw a few bucks at it.

3 days of fantasizing about telling my boss to go gently caress himself and walking out is well worth $2

e: but I consider it as entertainment and not an investment

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

cowofwar posted:

For the person that Barry mentioned, the casual player who throws a few bucks in when it's a national news story-- because marketing works, and because the emotional and mental payoff of the "fun" of having a irrationally small chance at a life-changing amount of money is potentially worth more than the $1-$2 those particular people pay. Also, totally agree with Antifreezehead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some people also play slots for fun. Lots of hobbies are negative expected value.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Odds are 1 in 292 million.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Just imagine that everyone is Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Renegret posted:

When it gets big like this I like to throw a few bucks at it.

3 days of fantasizing about telling my boss to go gently caress himself and walking out is well worth $2

e: but I consider it as entertainment and not an investment

Yeah, sometimes BWM is good with mental health. Cheaper than a therapist I guess.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

cowofwar posted:

Yeah they actually changed the rules for Powerball recently, so that they could decrease the odds of winning the jackpot from 1 in 175 million to 1 in 292 million as you said. They also increased the odds of winning the smaller payouts to trick more people into thinking it's worth it to play.

http://time.com/money/4066960/powerball-lottery-new-rules-odds/

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's $2, I probably lose more than $2 a week being careless with my change. Some of you need to really get a handle on balancing GWM and GWL. If someone wants to grab a ticket for funsies cause it's the biggest jackpot ever and it fits in their discretionary spending, why the gently caress do you care?

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 11, 2016

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Buying one ticket is fine. Hell, buying one ticket for every drawing is fine if you're not hurting for cash. At that point, much like with any gambling, it's just a little added entertainment expense.

The problem is that often you have people buying tickets instead of, say, nutritious food when their kids are going hungry or only eating McDonalds. Or they spend $100/week on scratch-offs. In those cases the fantasy of winning is actually harming their lives.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Rurutia posted:

It's $2, I probably lose more than $2 a week being careless with my change. Some of you need to really get a handle on balancing GWM and GWL. If someone wants to grab a ticket for funsies cause it's the biggest jackpot ever and it fits in their discretionary spending, why the gently caress do you care?

Each $2 ticket adds about $1 to the cash payout. So the current estimate of $868m is 1.73 billion tickets sold. That's 7 tickets per US adult.

Which wouldn't be a big deal if this was a one time thing, but this jackpot isn't even particularly large with the new odds. There's a good chance at an even larger one in the next 6mo.

And in 5 years when lottery fatigue sets in again and they lower the odds to 1:400 to allow for bigger jackpots, expect some jackpots that go up to 15-20 tickets per adult population. It's getting to be kind of excessive.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Buying one ticket is fine. Hell, buying one ticket for every drawing is fine if you're not hurting for cash. At that point, much like with any gambling, it's just a little added entertainment expense.

The problem is that often you have people buying tickets instead of, say, nutritious food when their kids are going hungry or only eating McDonalds. Or they spend $100/week on scratch-offs. In those cases the fantasy of winning is actually harming their lives.

I know a dude who's wife gave him some cash to put a down payment on a party hall for their daughter's graduation party, and he went and spent it all on lotto tickets instead. His wife later found duffle bags full of scratch offs. This was years ago, I don't really know where they stand on his addiction right now.

It's just gambling, and just like any other gambling it can be done in a healthy and responsible manner if you can control yourself.

I used to work a job where I had to sell lotto tickets though, and that lotto machine was the most soul sucking aspect of that job.

Barry posted:

Yeah, sometimes BWM is good with mental health. Cheaper than a therapist I guess.

Or booze

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Renegret posted:

I know a dude who's wife gave him some cash to put a down payment on a party hall for their daughter's graduation party, and he went and spent it all on lotto tickets instead.

BWM Thunderdome. Two terrible ideas enter, no money leaves.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Problem gambling is a bit terrifying in that it's the only addiction I can think of that is openly exploited by the government. I mean, the help lines are there, but that seems like a token maneuver to say "we're totally not exploiting the desperate and uninformed!"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

My preferred vehicle for self medication but $2 doesn't tend to buy a lot of booze.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you're poor, the two dollars you spent on a ticket was going to go down a hole anyways. Might as well dream of a better life for a few days.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Not a Children posted:

Problem gambling is a bit terrifying in that it's the only addiction I can think of that is openly exploited by the government. I mean, the help lines are there, but that seems like a token maneuver to say "we're totally not exploiting the desperate and uninformed!"

Ya, cause running numbers isn't going to be some sort of organized crime thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

In many places, the government runs the liquor stores. In many more they collect a surtax on alcohol.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Armacham posted:

Yeah they actually changed the rules for Powerball recently, so that they could decrease the odds of winning the jackpot from 1 in 175 million to 1 in 292 million as you said. They also increased the odds of winning the smaller payouts to trick more people into thinking it's worth it to play.

http://time.com/money/4066960/powerball-lottery-new-rules-odds/

The Powerball rules have been tweaked like 7 times in the last decade to make jackpots bigger and bigger. Turns out unsurprisingly that record jackpots generate a lot of free media attention and sell a gently caress ton of lottery tickets!

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Yeah, despite how people say 'I'd be much happier if they gave a hundred people 1M each instead of 100M to one guy' that absolutely doesn't maximize ticket sales. People want the big score and it generates attention.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

Where I live there is a lot of tax on alcohol and tobacco products. It's just straight up revenue from addition and New Zealand's binge drinking culture. The Government collects more revenue than the total health costs to the nation.

One discussion on fb included talk of people spending $100 per week on smoking which is BWM. It did trigger discussion about quitting and instead spending the money on travel. Hopefully some will turn this BWM into GWM.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What do you guys think of no-lose lotteries/prize linked savings accounts?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Antifreeze Head posted:

Can't win if you don't play, right? :v:

But seriously, I only cough up when there is an office pool going around because there's no loving way I'm going to be stuck as the last bastard coming into work on the offhand chance those numbers come up. A dollar to not have that pile of poo poo slide my way seems like a deal, frankly.

Same here. It also helps that I have little to no interest in most of the kinds of things that typically scream "I'm a rich rear end in a top hat" to one's immediate neighbors. There are things I'd possibly like to do that cost a relatively large amount of money, but most of them involve building and operating awesome machines.

Subjunctive posted:

In many places, the government runs the liquor stores. In many more they collect a surtax on alcohol.

And what about tobacco taxes which, in most states, account for a major portion of cigarette prices? They started out as a means of mitigating the social cost of smoking, but have since become a politically safe avenue for tax hikes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Renegret posted:

I know a dude who's wife gave him some cash to put a down payment on a party hall for their daughter's graduation party, and he went and spent it all on lotto tickets instead. His wife later found duffle bags full of scratch offs. This was years ago, I don't really know where they stand on his addiction right now.

There was some thread on Reddit today that I saw on my phone at lunch, in one of the relationship subreddits, where a woman was posting because her boyfriend drained their entire savings account to buy $120k worth of Powerball tickets, but I can't find it now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jesus :stonk:

Two weeks into the new year and we already have a 2016 Wonderhanger contender right there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I posted earlier in this thread about a girl I dated for a bit who has a pack a day smoking habit, multiple Dunkins runs, shops from Finger Hut, and some other troubling habits. As well as two kids. It didn't work out, romantically. We're still friends, though.
I visited her facebook today (she's a big Bowie fan) and saw that after finally paying off her minivan, she bought a brand new one. It wasn't that the other one was totaled, she said in the comments that she watched it drive away. She got it from Carfax, which I imagine didn't do her any favors.

One step forward, two steps back.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

I posted earlier in this thread about a girl I dated for a bit who has a pack a day smoking habit, multiple Dunkins runs, shops from Finger Hut, and some other troubling habits. As well as two kids. It didn't work out, romantically. We're still friends, though.
I visited her facebook today (she's a big Bowie fan) and saw that after finally paying off her minivan, she bought a brand new one. It wasn't that the other one was totaled, she said in the comments that she watched it drive away. She got it from Carfax, which I imagine didn't do her any favors.

One step forward, two steps back.

This mystifies me. I've gotten pretty accustomed to people having a high (BWM) turnover of cars in the US. In New Zealand the average car age is 14-15 years and we import a lot of second hand cars. Why is there an obsession in the US with selling perfectly good vehicles all the time?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There was some thread on Reddit today that I saw on my phone at lunch, in one of the relationship subreddits, where a woman was posting because her boyfriend drained their entire savings account to buy $120k worth of Powerball tickets, but I can't find it now.

Sometimes, murder should be legal.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Devian666 posted:

This mystifies me. I've gotten pretty accustomed to people having a high (BWM) turnover of cars in the US. In New Zealand the average car age is 14-15 years and we import a lot of second hand cars. Why is there an obsession in the US with selling perfectly good vehicles all the time?

The US average car age is 11.4 years, probably caused by us driving more

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Devian666 posted:

An average age of 14-15 years is so foreign to me. My car is 13 years old and I've got plenty of people asking why I don't get a newer one. Like I personally can't think of any adult that I know with an older car than mine. Does everyone in New Zealand buy Singapore's cars once they turn 10 and have to leave the island?

ETA

quote:

Or it could just be the people I know and work with?

flynt fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 12, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Series DD Funding posted:

And also large differences in PPP

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Series DD Funding posted:

That's not as bad as what I thought it would be. I guess it comes down to the small percentage of BWM consumers going crazy on new vehicles.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

flynt posted:

An average age of 14-15 years is so foreign to me. My car is 13 years old and I've got plenty of people asking why I don't get a newer one. Like I personally can't think of any adult that I know with an older car than mine. Does everyone in New Zealand buy Singapore's cars once they turn 10 and have to leave the island?
Drive around a working class neighborhood and most cars you see will be 10-15 years old. In rural areas away from metro areas, it's not uncommon to see cars from the 70s and 80s.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of your cars in NZ are second-hand from Japan. They tax people out of old cars over there, on top of size and engine displacement taxes.

A big thing in the US is that the Northeast just loving eats cars. The south and west have zero rust, the midwest and the northeast are brutal on cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I know I kind of started another car chat derail, but I really can't judge my friend too harshly-

In August 2014, I financed an overpriced used Infiniti at an almost usurious interest rate. I had totaled my old car in the snow in January, taking the bus for the time being. After multiple nightmares ranging from trying repeatedly to get the dealer to fix warranty issues to the car being stolen and left broken down on the side of the road, I traded it in this past June for a 2014 Elantra. I sunk a bunch of money doing all that, but I just wanted to forget 2014 and close the book on it.

No more bad decisions. I figure, get it all paid off (71% there!) then baby it until it falls apart. 15 year cost of ownership should (I hope!) be close to or less than multiple trades, repairing less reliable cars, financing new ones etc. All future cars will be paid for in cash (or financed at 0%) for life.

Phone posted:

the Northeast just loving eats cars.

Then again, I do live in Massachusetts.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 12, 2016

• Locked thread