Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

euphronius posted:

IMAX blew me away. It's so much better than the standard screens.

The sound is important too

And the hype video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzd8visBvPo

Neurolimal posted:

Brief tangent: I think Lucas' reaction to no longer being in the spotlight WRT Star Wars is interesting. I'm wondering if he is finding it difficult to accept how easily people has approved of his removal from his own work, and no longer being tangential to Star Wars; better to be reviled than ignored.

I mean lets be serious here: Lucas knows race politics, he has expressed this constantly within Star Wars, within getting Red Tails produced and released, and when commenting on reactions to his marriage. Joke or not, he knew what reaction he would get from equating Disney to "white slavers". Imagine if, even if someone was kidding, someone said "selling my works to [popular company] was like I was giving the go-ahead to have my baby gangraped for decades", would you believe they weren't gunning for press? It was an attempt to see his name in articles again.

That's not to say he is a bad person for doing it. I'm just curious about what is going on in his head.

He did apologize for it in something that sounds like Disney wrote it for him

quote:

I want to clarify my interview on the Charlie Rose Show. It was for the Kennedy Center Honors and conducted prior to the premiere of the film. I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize.

I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger’s leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks. Most of all I’m blown away with the record breaking blockbuster success of the new movie and am very proud of JJ and Kathy.

I mean I think anybody would be at least a little upset to have something that is successful only because of them, that they created, taken over by someone who only wants the merchandising dollars, even if they willingly sell it for 4B. Just a bit of pride, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Its what happens in the movie. She's young royalty and we only ever see her with Anakin throughout the three films. When she does fall in love with Anakin some of the scenes are awkward. Rather than interpreting all that as a failure to convey whatever scenario I may have conjured up in my mind, I choose to interpret it as two young kids inexperienced in love awkwardly falling for each other.

If I'm to assume the opposite what would be the reasoning based on whats actually in the movie?

First, there's her job itself. As she constantly reminds Anakin, she's a senator (and former queen.) Being a senator is all about talking to people. It may be about schmoozing people to get money or something else like that, but there's definitely lots of talking involved. It would actually be really cool if she used her charisma and influence as an older woman to exploit Anakin a little bit. I think RLM might have said this too, I can't remember.

Also, one of the things she talks with Anakin about while they're picnicking out in the field is her first relationship, so she has some experience. The way she first rebuffs him on Coruscant makes it seem like she's been down this road before - please don't look at me like that. She's seen it before. Or at least it seems that way to me.

It's also baffling how many poor decisions are involved to get those two together:
Padme needs protecting > She needs to be protected specifically by Jedi > Perhaps an old friend like Master Kenobi > Instead of sending one of the thousands of other Jedi, Obi Wan pursues Jango Fett by himself, alone, leaving Anakin (who he knows is horned up for Padme) alone with Padme > Obi Wan and Captain Typho remark on how stupid an idea this is and then do nothing about it > Padme is creeped out by Anakin but goes along with it anyway > They're supposed to travel as refugees but instead ditch all the people with them and stay completely alone in a glorious space palace > Padme wears a backless dress so Anakin can try out his PUA techniques while criticizing sand... and so on.

Like, it's entertaining if you accept that Anakin, Padme, Obi Wan, the other Jedi, and Captain Typho are all idiots and this is a dark comedy. If it's not supposed to be that though, you have to wonder what it was supposed to be.

I wonder if Lucas hated the popularity of Star Wars, like Kurt Cobain or something. It would explain his attempts to drive away and troll his own fans.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Soggy Cereal posted:

Like, it's entertaining if you accept that Anakin, Padme, Obi Wan, the other Jedi, and Captain Typho are all idiots and this is a dark comedy. If it's not supposed to be that though, you have to wonder what it was supposed to be.

Of course they're all idiots, to some extent, and there's a certain farcical nature to the whole tragedy. Another example is how the Jedi sent Anakin to spy on Palpatine, knowing that they were friends, but then later in the film we see the Jedi temple had access to holographic security cameras in chambers. Its a comedy of errors! (not that this is not the same thing as 'bad on purpose', lest we get into all that again)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The prequels definitely aren't very subtle, which is probably why you could see them as a dark comedy. Since I'm fairly certain they weren't intended as comedy in any way, I'd say that's a legit criticism.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's not a franchise meant for enjoyment by cynics, on the whole.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The prequels definitely aren't very subtle, which is probably why you could see them as a dark comedy. Since I'm fairly certain they weren't intended as comedy in any way, I'd say that's a legit criticism.

They're not comedies like a Judd Apatow film or anything. But we can agree they have elements of farce, slap-stick, and camp, right?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

It's definitely the least objectionable dialogue in the PT (and enhanced by the contrast between it and the preceeding cringe-chat), which is why it was chosen for that comparison.

Actually, I chose it because I Googled and there was a gif of it. I was going to use Anakin's "I hate them!" from the confession scene in Episode II, but I couldn't find a gif and didn't want to bother making my own.

I'm not as clever a troll as you seem to think I am. I actually didn't even realize that the general consensus was that that line was actually good. I assumed it was exactly the kind of thing PT critics would hate. You know, Darth Vader throwing a tantrum, screaming "I hate you!" at his daddy like an angry toddler, and generally being really pathetic and not at all acting like a badass Sith Lord should.

quote:

A proper comparison would be implying Luke's last reflection on Vader before he's burned is laughed at (which wouldn't be true, either)

A proper comparison to what, though? I was comparing scenes that could be interpreted as comical because of the unbridled emotion on display. I think both of the gifs I posted qualify, because devoid of context both of the actors look kind of goofy.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 12, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Of course they're all idiots, to some extent, and there's a certain farcical nature to the whole tragedy. Another example is how the Jedi sent Anakin to spy on Palpatine, knowing that they were friends, but then later in the film we see the Jedi temple had access to holographic security cameras in chambers. Its a comedy of errors! (not that this is not the same thing as 'bad on purpose', lest we get into all that again)

The camera footage isn't of Palpatine's chambers. It's still set at the temple, where Palpatine has arrived to congratulate Anakin on how awesome he is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Its what happens in the movie. She's young royalty and we only ever see her with Anakin throughout the three films. When she does fall in love with Anakin some of the scenes are awkward. Rather than interpreting all that as a failure to convey whatever scenario I may have conjured up in my mind, I choose to interpret it as two young kids inexperienced in love awkwardly falling for each other.

If I'm to assume the opposite what would be the reasoning based on whats actually in the movie?

Wasn't she elected queen? I guess that means she's good at politics because she's a kid who was elected leader of a planet. Implicit in this is that she didn't grow up as royalty?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't she elected queen? I guess that means she's good at politics because she's a kid who was elected leader of a planet. Implicit in this is that she didn't grow up as royalty?

I suppose so, and I don't know a lot about Naboo other than what's in the movies, but almost everything about her character says royalty. The costumes, hair, her makeup, the fact that there's a whole storyline where she disguises herself to walk amongst the serfs, they call her a queen, etc.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Zoran posted:

The camera footage isn't of Palpatine's chambers. It's still set at the temple, where Palpatine has arrived to congratulate Anakin on how awesome he is.

That makes more sense in a way, but doesn't seem to fit how I remember the timeline of events. Because isn't Palpatine right back at his chambers for his next scene, the big fight with Yoda? Or is that much later?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Palpatine is in his adjacent-to-the-Senate office for the fight with Yoda, because they then float up on an elevator into the Senate.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Palpatine is in his adjacent-to-the-Senate office for the fight with Yoda, because they then float up on an elevator into the Senate.

Is that place connected to where he fights Windu, or not?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Krangdar posted:

That makes more sense in a way, but doesn't seem to fit how I remember the timeline of events. Because isn't Palpatine right back at his chambers for his next scene, the big fight with Yoda? Or is that much later?

It's not as though Yoda and Obi-Wan got to the temple right after Anakin killed everyone there. The massacre happened in the evening, but they arrived there in the middle of the day.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't think so, the aesthetic is completely different. He's a real retro sci-fi fan in his personal apartment (there's also some vases and red paint on the walls).

Then this is his Chancellor office or something.

Cnut the Great posted:

I was going to use Anakin's "I hate them!" from the confession scene in Episode II, but I couldn't find a gif and didn't want to bother making my own.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I just thought the place where Yoda and Palpatine's fight starts was like a generic gathering/ready room type place where every senator might go through at some point while prepping their stuff or whatever while the Windu fight was in Palpatine's personal office.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

Doesn't really look like it.

Palpatine's office is in the low building. The Senate chamber is in the high building.

And the Jedi Temple's just a hop and a skip away.

Senate:

Jedi Temple:

Not that the plot in any way hinges upon any of this (the only reason the Senate building and Jedi Temple are so close at the end of ROTJ is so they can be in the same panning shot). But yeah, Sidious just nipped over to the Temple for a bit to give Anakin a packed lunch and a kiss on the cheek before he headed off to Mustafar, and then nipped right on back to the Senate complex for his big speech declaring the establishment of the Empire. Dude's the Chancellor. He probably has his own private taxi, complete with minibar.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Why are all the rooms in the PT so barren? It's like they just moved in.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

turtlecrunch posted:

Shot Context

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Why are all the rooms in the PT so barren? It's like they just moved in.

It's part of the aesthetic of Coruscant. It suggests grace and harmony, but in a way that's empty and unreal.

Kamino is similar, but other locations like Tatooine, Geonosis, and Mustafar are much more cluttered and lived-in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The revenge of the sith is dark as poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

In case anyone cares about what a Mom thinks about Rey in Star Wars, I took my mom to see it and she said this about the final fight: "Why was Rey even losing at the beginning of the fight? She kicked those guys asses at the beginning of the movie."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

euphronius posted:

The revenge of the sith is dark as poo poo.

It's dark, but in like the most comical campy way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

piratepilates posted:

It's dark, but in like the most comical campy way.

face down dead kids is not very campy. Also killing unarmed Chinese-Americans.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

euphronius posted:

no children got killed in this movie mister, they were younglings!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

piratepilates posted:

no children got killed in this movie mister, they were younglings!

Youngling is a "real" word. Archaic but real.

before 900; Middle English yongling, Old English geongling; cognate with Dutch jongeling, German Jüngling.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Palpatine after his face gets zapped is a straight up panto show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

5 hours of nerds getting mad at The Force Awakens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nT6ccfovUs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Who would ever watch this? I just cannot fathom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

people who need validation that THE FORCE AWAKENS TRUELY SUCKS!!!!! ITS GOT PLOT HOLES!!!!!!!!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

PLOT HOLES!!!!!!!!

ugh please stop saying that ugh no

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

piratepilates posted:

Who would ever watch this? I just cannot fathom.
It worked for Red Letter Media

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nessus posted:

RLM was an hour broken up into 5 parts. And wasn't webcam footage.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

RLM was an hour broken up into 5 parts. And wasn't webcam footage.

RLM is also entertaining, uses some actual valid film criticism and analysis, and also works to show that the person making the joke-y reviews of the films is a flawed and obsessive person which downplays the seriousness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RLM approach movies as craftsmen, judging them as a carpenter would judge a cabinet or bookshelf. This kind of practical criticism addresses something scholarship doesn't really touch. That makes their perspective fun imo.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

What RLM does is distinctly not that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone can say how a cabinet is not like a chair.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CelticPredator posted:

What do these people have against hygiene and wearing shirts?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Anyone can say how a cabinet is not like a chair.

But do they know how to build one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
RLM's weird jokes about torturing and murdering women creep me out so much I almost want to like the prequels out of spite.

• Locked thread