Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You mentioned the harder versions of this battle in AC Infinity so I went and looked it up. It's crazy and brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Argas posted:

You mentioned the harder versions of this battle in AC Infinity so I went and looked it up. It's crazy and brilliant.

I don't care for Infinity's design decisions with its microtransactions and whatnot but it does look beautiful and shows what amazing stuff we might get in AC7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8b0e-13zk

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I know this got talked about before but seriously what's with fully loaded update posts freezing browsers? I've only noticed it in this LP, so far.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gigantic pictures, especially when placed in timg tags take a lot of space. Timg tags make it worse because the browser has to draw them twice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

I don't care for Infinity's design decisions with its microtransactions and whatnot but it does look beautiful and shows what amazing stuff we might get in AC7:

I'm not sure if the VA for AWACS Heavy Cloud is even human based on how stilted his voice is.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Brunom1 posted:

the business model is what's kept me away so far, but that video looked amazing (weak VA aside); would you or anyone else here say the game is worth playing?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm not sure if the VA for AWACS Heavy Cloud is even human based on how stilted his voice is.

No kidding. I guess they were going with the "calm professional" angle? It doesn't really work though.

He's certainly no AWACS Eagle Eye/A wax Thunderbird that's for sure.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crow, your posts are getting too drat big and are destroying people's browsers.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Yea it really is a terrible voice. The lines are bad, too.

Blind Sally posted:

crow, your posts are getting too drat big and are destroying people's browsers.
Maybe use static images instead of gifs for the Assault Records? Those are the ones that appear to make the most fuss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That was an oddly underwhelming superweapon, though the Infinity game gave it justice. I was at least expecting a constant air threat to break up the "lob missiles a giant chunk of HP until it dies" phases.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I seem to recall some version of Arthurian legend saying that drawing Excalibur guaranteed you victory in battle, but I might be misremembering.

Honestly I was expecting PJ to eat a laser to the face right after everyone started talking about ~HIS GIRLFRIEND~

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Cythereal posted:

That was an oddly underwhelming superweapon, though the Infinity game gave it justice. I was at least expecting a constant air threat to break up the "lob missiles a giant chunk of HP until it dies" phases.

When you first play it for the first time, it's actually intimidating. Especially if you were a kid and didn't wrap your head around the concept of jamming stations. If you payed attention to the end of the update's video, the laser is actually wicked fast. So if you were near it you would be incredibly hard pressed to avoid it.

Most of the threats in this game are neutered when you have a sufficiently fast plane really.

And with the infinity update, it's more:
"YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME? BLARAJSDKHLASDLAS HOW DO YOU LIKE MY SUPER FIGHTERS" Massive dogfight in a laser grid ensues.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So Belka's gigantic Obelisk of Light has a range of over 1000km? They could have used it to destroy enemy combat lines before they had a chance to press their counterattack but didn't because...

Belka, your invasion plan sucks.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The other great thing is how everybody is completely taken by surprise when it gets used for the first time. There's two possible reasons for that I can think of:

The first is that they didn't know Excalibur existed, in which case I can't help but feel like one or two intelligence services might not be doing their job properly if they've managed to miss the 1km high tower surrounded by a bunch of power plants built in the middle of a field. The thing would have to be visible for miles and miles for starters. Maybe Belka claimed it was a weather station or something and no one really looked into it.

The other possible reason no one saw the huge plane-slicing laser coming is that it was supposed to be for missile defense, and I guess no one thought it could be used for anything else.

Well, whatever, it doesn't really matter anymore, since it just crumbled along with the 10% of Belka's remaining economy that was dedicated to supporting the entire thing. There's gonna be a lot of unemployed optics engineers/applied physicists in Belka.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

So Belka's gigantic Obelisk of Light has a range of over 1000km? They could have used it to destroy enemy combat lines before they had a chance to press their counterattack but didn't because...

Belka, your invasion plan sucks.

It's its maximum theoretical range, not its maximum range in combat conditions with people shooting at the reflectors.

And I guess people thought that Belka would have too many problem with actually getting it to work and that it was just a gigantic cash injection in the military contractor business.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

There's gonna be a lot of unemployed optics engineers/applied physicists in Belka.

Good news! They all died in the collapse!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's mentioned in Crow's post that the thing wasn't designed for attacks like this, it's specifically missile defense. More than likely, the Ustio/Osea guys just never expected Belka to set up a costly network of space mirrors and start firing a massively overpowered (and easily tracked) anti-missile laser at aircraft and tanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's mentioned in Crow's post that the thing wasn't designed for attacks like this, it's specifically missile defense. More than likely, the Ustio/Osea guys just never expected Belka to set up a costly network of space mirrors and start firing a massively overpowered (and easily tracked) anti-missile laser at aircraft and tanks.

I'm guessing that somewhere in the Belkan Pentagon-equivalent there's a colonel who was asked to implement her own sarcastic suggestion about how to stop the allied advance.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
AC infinity is fine if you only play it for like an hour at a time. Otherwise you'll have to pay for sortie fuel. When I did play it I played it for like an hour right before I went to bed. The super bosses are kind of fun, but pubbies are awful at doing enough damage to them before the timer goes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The guy running the Belkan weapons division is probably, in all honesty, Killzone's Jorhan Stahl. He's about as stable as a jar of nitro-glycerin and is less concerned with practicality and more concerned with how many lasers and death rays they can attach to whatever it is they're working on. Excalibur was just a test run. Wait'll Belkan figures out a way to mount that thing on robotic legs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Sally posted:

The guy running the Belkan weapons division is probably, in all honesty, Killzone's Jorhan Stahl. He's about as stable as a jar of nitro-glycerin and is less concerned with practicality and more concerned with how many lasers and death rays they can attach to whatever it is they're working on. Excalibur was just a test run. Wait'll Belkan figures out a way to mount that thing on robotic legs.

Given that Excalibur is a repurposed ICBM defense, I like to figure that at a planning session this occurred:

General: "They're advancing from the south, and nothing we've thrown at them has worked. This is intolerable. Find something, and stop these bastards."

Colonel: "We've got nothing in the area except the old Excalibur SDI system. What do you expect us to do, shoot down their planes with the anti-ballistic laser?"

General: "That's the spirit! Your helicopter for the facility launches within the hour. I expect the facility to be ready for combat within three days."

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Judging from the dates Crow listed in the entry, it's probably more realistic to say that they'd only just gotten it set up to shoot anything other than missiles when Galm Team were sacking Glatisant.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Okay, finally able to watch the video after everybody else already posted words. Time for my own words.

Ace style differences for this mission that crow didn't already mention, I got nothing. Supposedly PJ's response to Pixy's suggestion on where to crash if he gets shot down changes but that's complete bullshit because I ran through it on Mercenary in my most recent playthrough and his response was exactly the same as it always was whenever I went through as a Knight. Course my source for that was TV Tropes, who I don't think have ever gotten a quote right unless I was the one who put it there, so I really shouldn't have expected anything else.

F-16, I got more things. I mentioned some stuff about how its design wasn't good enough for the Navy after they looked at it and the YF-17 to procure a cheaper replacement for their older aircraft, but I didn't mention a lot of the good things about it. There's excellent visibility from the pilot's seat because of a frameless bubble canopy; the control stick and throttle are both on the sides of the seat, rather than one being between the legs, which along with the controls put on the sticks themselves aids in controlling the craft without having to remove one of your hands from either of them; the ejection seat is reclined at 30 degrees (compared to 13-15 for previous American jets) for better G-force tolerance and accomodation for slightly taller pilots; and it was one of the first production fighters to utilize a fly-by-wire system. Overall it's a pretty sweet craft, too bad crow won't get to use it in this playthrough :v:.

As for Excalibur, from a gameplay/superweapon standpoint, Zero was probably the best game to start with for the series because Excalibur is probably the weakest of the superweapons in the series. As has been mentioned it was much improved when it was added to Infinity two months ago. Laser network to chase UAVs through, the railway TLSes are also much more accurate and deadly, and the fact that the last phase is just dumping as many bullets and missiles into the thing as you can is much less annoying when you've got upwards of seven other players all helping you do so. Also, that first shot it takes here, where it destroyed the tanker, is weaker than the later ones - you don't get hit by it unless you deliberately fly into the laser, and even then it deals half the damage it does at any later point in the mission according to the wiki.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For the record, in Malory's La Morte d'Arthur Mallory does what Mallory always does - he includes both versions of the Excalibur legend (the Sword in the Stone and the gift from the Lady of the Lake) and calls both swords Excalibur despite the part where the first sword, the Sword in the Stone, is shattered in Arthur's hand by King Pellinore. Is that a contradiction? Sure is! Mallory don't care.

Incidentally, most of the time Excalibur was not actually wielded in battle by Arthur; more often it was entrusted to Gawaine, who carried the sword into battle as the High King's Champion. Because Gawaine was badass and no one pays attention to him anymore because everyone's too distracted by Lancelot slipping the D to the Queen.

Gawaine loving ruled and Lancelot sucked eggs.

Gawaine for life.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Lynneth posted:

The altitude and speed are probably both in imperial numbers, feet and mi-... Actually, looking at wiki, it's probably knots, your speed. The sonic boom happens around 660, and mach 1 is 661 knots (761 mph and 1225 kph, for the record). Mind, altitude could be in metres, too. It depends on how high you can go. If 10-15,000 is the maximum, it's metres. Anything beyond, and we're talking feet, as ca 12 kilometres is the service ceiling of most modern combat airplanes. Some go higher, but none are above 18 km, to my knowledge.

I know, delayed response and poo poo, but, yeah, all aviation measurements are indeed imperial. (I'm a pilot in Canada. The confusion between metric and imperial units caused the gimli glider)

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, the only important pay things are for unlocking the story missions (which you probably wouldn't use credits to unlock anyway) and perhaps the rookie packs where you unlock cute nugget emblems and whatnot. Course every now and then there's the 20-fuel packs that you can purchase, but other than that, it's not like the FTP Soul Calibur was with the BUY THESE CHESTS AND YOU MIGHT FIND SEUNG MINA HIDING IN ONE OF THEM YOU REMEMBER HER RIGHT DON'T LET HER SUFFOCATE IN THERE WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ads.

Also, the Infinity "Emergency Special" Excalibur missions are actually quite satisfying what with the lasers and the drones trying to shoot at your butt. Still have yet to get a Gold version though.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

VKing posted:

Maybe use static images instead of gifs for the Assault Records? Those are the ones that appear to make the most fuss.

Yeah these specifically are completely freezing my browser so I have to force it closed. It wouldn't make any real difference if they were static anyway.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I don't know if you noticed, but the reason your guns weren't doing any damage was because you were firing them from too far away and then stopping before you actually got into gun range. If you don't see a pipper (the HUD gunsight), you're too far away. The bullets will just disappear. The end would also have gone faster if you'd brought ground attack SP weapons. Buy the MiG-29's rocket pods you cheapskate :argh:

edit: I should add, each gun bullet is I think 1/10th the power of a missile, but against static defenses that adds up very quickly. It would have saved you a couple passes for sure. In my experience the gun is actually better for ground attack than dogfighting until you become very good at using it (flying in first person is a huge help for improving accuracy).

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 12, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Casualty posted:

Buy the MiG-29's rocket pods you cheapskate :argh:

We get the F-15C in the next mission, so we will not be seeing any other plane for the rest of the LP :getin:

...Until the post-mortem video, anyway.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I think guns actually have better range than the HUD suggests. I know in Infinity you can hit targets from just a tiny bit farther than your missiles will lock on from even without a part to give them better range; I've stolen a few low-priority kills by blazing away with the gun instead of firing a missile and hoping I have a better propulsion-enhancing part than he does. I won't be surprised if the range is shorter in the PS2 games, but since 5 pretty much every game gives you infinite ammo for the gun below Normal difficulty so you won't be wasting much more than a few seconds of time trying to determine the actual range.

Also the rocket pod before 6 is terrible and inaccurate and terrible. I won't hear anything differently :colbert:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Kadorhal posted:

I think guns actually have better range than the HUD suggests. I know in Infinity you can hit targets from just a tiny bit farther than your missiles will lock on from even without a part to give them better range; I've stolen a few low-priority kills by blazing away with the gun instead of firing a missile and hoping I have a better propulsion-enhancing part than he does. I won't be surprised if the range is shorter in the PS2 games, but since 5 pretty much every game gives you infinite ammo for the gun below Normal difficulty so you won't be wasting much more than a few seconds of time trying to determine the actual range.

Also the rocket pod before 6 is terrible and inaccurate and terrible. I won't hear anything differently :colbert:
I think you're right, but it's marginal enough that it doesn't really matter much. IIRC the gun range is significantly longer than the CCIP indicates in 6 but that's a totally different engine. I haven't played Assault Horizon or Infinity so I can't comment on those.

Rocket pods aren't my favorite except for the OP variety in 6, but nine-gear crow can't hit the broad side of a barn with UGBs so they're the superior choice :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Rocket pods aren't my favorite except for the OP variety in 6, but nine-gear crow can't hit the broad side of a barn with UGBs so they're the superior choice :v:

My only memory of rocket pods in HAWX was that they were like nukes in tube form and could be used to cheese pretty much the only boss encounter in the game.
As for HAWX 2 I think they got nerfed or such, don't think I ever used them there. Or just straight up replaced by the gun pods which were utterly ridiculous in turn.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Casualty posted:

lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
New thread rule:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
but crow

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So, in That Mission, what special weapons shall you give to Pixy? I remember that depending on which you pick it can making even living through the boss fight much easier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

So, in That Mission, what special weapons shall you give to Pixy? I remember that depending on which you pick it can making even living through the boss fight much easier.

Assuming I get Mission 10 recorded with Lunethex some time in the next few days, you'll find out by about this time next week.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I bet crow sucks with napalm bombs.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I don't know why, but I've never been able to get into AC0. I loved 4 and 5, but 0 just never grabbed me. I think this was the mission I stopped on, as I'd rented rather than bought it and just didn't feel like continuing after that really boring fight.

In talking to a friend about AC0 recently, she summed up AC0 in a way I can't really find fault with: it did a great job of distracting from the fact that there are some serious, serious issues with the game's plot. I enjoy the game, but I think that's more because I'm absolutely head over heels for this game's soundtrack (in particular ZERO, and it always kills my soul that Testimony 1 never lead into ZERO the way it did in the opening movie for the game) than any real affection for Cipher or the cast/story the way I got into Mobius 1 and 4's story, or Blaze/Wardog and 5's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I don't think the actual plot was really the strong point that the devs were focusing on here. Remember they put this one out in just less than a year, so it makes sense that an actual compelling story on the level of 04 or 5 took a backseat to justifying all sorts of encounters with enemy ace squadrons with as flimsy a rationale as they could get away with.

Excalibur is, as I mentioned, essentially the encapsulation of that. They needed an early superweapon that the bad guys could kick some rear end with before the player comes in and destroys it to make a name for themselves, but that wasn't the priority... so we got a slow, easily-avoidable laser tower where the difficulty lies in just throwing as many missiles, bullets, and SP weapon of your choice into it for five minutes until it finally comes down. Like the last phase it can't even shoot back at you anymore but it still goes on for a while, that's how terrible a superweapon it is.

Also, the earlier discussion about Infinity is pretty funny given that in about four hours they'll be rerunning a TDM event to give Ace Combat Zero-related prizes. Hopefully my PS3 won't kill itself two days into the event this time.

• Locked thread