Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, Impact Wrists and Trigger Fingers are both really really good, so.

wrt bouncer shotgun/eagle eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Fvjo8ljRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eagle Eyes is kinda trash mutation thou.

I did a GUNS FOR THE GUNS GOD run as chicken, you can see how trash I am at about 1:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN-K5r03dgA

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

When you say "shoulders deals with close targets while avoiding having to expose yourself too much", what exactly do you mean? Because I would wager that 9 times out of 10, either you don't need to be bouncing shots at all, or normal bounces would be enough.

I feel like besides the rats, all other close quarters targets really need much more hits than what you'll get with standard bounces. You get a lot more mileage out of your shotgun ammo with shoulders because pellets are more likely to hit something rather than disappear, and then in later game you can clear out the close quarters areas quickly (like a big IDPD spawn in the palace) and then open up long range straight away with a bolt weapon.

Admittedly this is me playing no SS/no RS with Melting B, and I'm still scrub tier because I just don't have that much time to play, but it's been pretty effective to have Shotgun Shoulders as close area clearance as long as it's well complemented.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wanna be clear here, I'm not saying Shotgun Shoulders does nothing or hurts you. It does something, it's just that what it does is not as big of a deal as the other weapon mutations. I mean, if anything I'd say most of the time the mutation that helps you the most at close range and in corridors/around corners in areas like the sewers is bolt marrow, because it basically means your bolts have enormously wide hitboxes that you can snipe dudes around walls with.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Shells deal bonus damage if they just came out of your gun or have just bounced with shotgun shoulders, so shotgun shoulders also increases your damage output in any situation where you'd be bouncing pellets around.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Only if they hit an enemy literally 2 frames after they bounce off a wall. It's a negligible increase in damage output

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
meanwhile, laser brain actually straight up doubles the damage that energy melee weapons do

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now that the updates have slowed down I'm increasingly trying less and less optimal strategies, and shotgun soldiers+a flak cannon might not be as good as laser sword + long arms + laser brain but it feels more fun at this point, for me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if i had to choose between two bad mutations or shotgun shoulders or patience i would choose patience

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I have a random question, where does the term "lightning rail" come from? I've only ever seen it when people discuss this game, it's all over the place on the wiki and various forums, including this thread. But I've never heard that term anywhere else. It seems like a weird thing unique to this game, where people call lightning bolts "rails", but afaik its not called that ingame either.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Is there a fix for the incessant crashing? I think I saw something earlier and I was too lazy to do anything because the game crashing on startup isn't really that bad but now it'll crash in the middle of a run which is quite disappointing

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shotgun Shoulders is INCREDIBLE with a sawn-off on YV using Pop Pop and its upgrades, especially in the transition levels. Also great with the Double Flame until you can pick up a Flak or Super Flak Cannon. Shotgun Shoulders is good, and more importantly, fun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

shotgun shoulders biggest flaw, to me, is that it buffs a class of weapons that are not Melee/Crossbow/Explosive, so i usually ignore them

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

good advice

holy poo poo thank you so much! after reading all this stuff at work, i managed to kill lil' bandit for the first time and made it to 7-1 before dying. just having a better understanding of how the weapon system works made a huge difference.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jack B Nimble posted:

Now that the updates have slowed down I'm increasingly trying less and less optimal strategies, and shotgun soldiers+a flak cannon might not be as good as laser sword + long arms + laser brain but it feels more fun at this point, for me.
Sure! Shotgun shoulders is a very fun mutation, despite not being very good.

Black August posted:

Shotgun Shoulders is INCREDIBLE with a sawn-off on YV using Pop Pop and its upgrades, especially in the transition levels. Also great with the Double Flame until you can pick up a Flak or Super Flak Cannon. Shotgun Shoulders is good, and more importantly, fun.
I think, firstly, that Trigger Fingers is orders of magnitude more important than shotgun shoulders is for double flame or a sawn-off.

I also think that when people talk about shotgun shoulders(and shell weapons in general) being better in enclosed corridor-filled areas, it's like... you're not wrong, but those are all the easiest areas in the game anyway. Like, the most dangerous situation to the player is and always will be a situation where you are open to multiple angles of attack, because that can turn into a situation where there is nowhere to dodge. Enclosed areas are the easiest for defeating projectile enemies, they're the best spawn you can get on palace because it makes it harder for dogs to reach you or explo guardians to spam you out, it's the best kind of spawn you can get for lil' hunter because you can break LoS easier, and preloop none of the transitional levels have very dangerous enemy sets. The places you are most likely to die are when you spawn in the open in LoS of multiple dangerous projectile enemies, or have to make your way through an open area with multiple beefy dudes moving towards you with projectile dudes behind them.

So it's like... you're taking a mutation that is very specifically more powerful in areas which are enclosed, while doing very very little anywhere else. And that's just sort of overkill, because those places are already not that hard. You don't need to make sewers and caves and labs easier, because they're not that dangerous(especially preloop, Mom is dangerous but that has very little to do with the environment), and you definitely don't need to make the safest parts of the other areas easier. What would help you the most is something to help you deal with the actual problem areas, stuff that helps you deal with the situation of "I'm in a lovely open room and a bunch of stuff is shooting me, help" because that's the most dangerous thing in the game. Long Arms/Laser brain are really good because they are amazing with energy melee weapons, which are maybe the best way in the whole game to deal with projectile spam, and Bolt Marrow is also really good because it helps you spam out large groups of enemies in situations like that without having to aim as much or get as close which makes it easier to dodge all the horrible poo poo. Worth keeping in mind that I'm talking about "getting as far as absolutely possible to get a good score", if you're just talking about getting to the throne it's a bit different(but I would still place Shoulders on the bottom).

homeless poster posted:

holy poo poo thank you so much! after reading all this stuff at work, i managed to kill lil' bandit for the first time and made it to 7-1 before dying. just having a better understanding of how the weapon system works made a huge difference.
No problem! fwiw I think one of the things that helped me a lot besides putting in a bunch of time was just watching people good at the game play to help learn what weapons and mutations are good, I'd recommend sleepcycles and a bunch of ster_'s old streams.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

livin it up not givin a fuk

EvilMike posted:

I have a random question, where does the term "lightning rail" come from? I've only ever seen it when people discuss this game, it's all over the place on the wiki and various forums, including this thread. But I've never heard that term anywhere else. It seems like a weird thing unique to this game, where people call lightning bolts "rails", but afaik its not called that ingame either.
I'm pretty sure it comes from unreal tournament. Not positive tho

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 12, 2016

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

livin it up not givin a fuk
I'm pretty sure it comes from unreal tournament. Not positive tho

Some UT games have the "lightning gun", which shoots lightning. Doesn't really seem connected though.

The only thing I can think of is someone confused it with a railgun (as seen in the quake series). Thats based on an irl concept though, and uses magnetic rails to accelerate a ballistic projectile. Nothing to do with lightning.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Trigger Fingers is straight up the best mutation IMO. It's just so good for everything and saves your life every time.

The only situation I'd pick something else is if I were playing melting and his throne butt also came up, or if I am playing as Steroids and am not using melee weapons.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

No problem! fwiw I think one of the things that helped me a lot besides putting in a bunch of time was just watching people good at the game play to help learn what weapons and mutations are good, I'd recommend sleepcycles and a bunch of ster_'s old streams.

i've read advice that hammerhead is a good thing to have for LB so you can clear out your own alcove and it definitely worked for me. also watching for his shadow, and listening to his sounds.

everyone has had great advice in this thread A++ would ask newb questions again.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Big Bandit, Lil' Hunter :)

Or Lil' Fucker, if you will :arghfist:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just had an incredible Lil Hunter encounter. I spawned in a big open area closed off on three sides. One screen up, the open area opened even wider and was full of those cyborg walkers (including a gold one) and yetis, all clumped together, nowhere to run. So I ran back down away from them just in time to hear Lil Hunter's "Yahahaw". He bounced down into a wall and created an alcove, jumped again and back down creating an even deeper with a slight bend to hide behind. I had a Bouncer Shotgun and just filled the alcove with bullets until he died, with all the other baddies safely off screen and a new alcove to hide and lure them back towards. It was a crazy streak of luck, but exhilarating. (then I died on the throne. First time I've ever fought it!)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The best way to deal with big bandit or lil hunter is shovels. hit them with shovels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfwFwuFKV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvwkZw_Of7U

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

The best way to deal with big bandit or lil hunter is shovels. hit them with shovels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfwFwuFKV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvwkZw_Of7U

getting a shovel by big bandit is drat good luck

also: lmao

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

That loving steroids build is insane. Do stress and trigger fingers stack? I am assuming yes,

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PleasingFungus posted:

getting a shovel by big bandit is drat good luck

also: lmao

You can actually start with crown of curses and get a sledgehammer on 1-1, if you want to potentially one shot big bandit on the oasis skip.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

steroids:

• is the best
  • used to be a scientist
  • can do pushups forever

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Counterpoint: Y.V

Is actually the best
Has a lot of money
Is the illuminati given shape

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Guns that send textes

Guns that hate texas

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:tfrxmas:Guns that straight festive:tfrxmas:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GUNS FOR BREAKFAST

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
His divinity is unassailable.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Any other character perform their own rap song? No, therefore YV is the best.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ElMaligno posted:

That loving steroids build is insane. Do stress and trigger fingers stack? I am assuming yes,
Well, they do different things, so yes.

Stress increases rate of fire as HP drops, up to 80% proportional to % HP missing(this means only Chicken can hit the 80% faster fire, while headless at 0 HP).
Trigger Fingers reduces your remaining reload time each time you get a kill(for the next shot only) on both equipped weapons by 40%. It's not like the more enemies you kill the bigger attackspeed buff it gives you, each consecutive kill cuts the current reload by another 40%, so there's diminishing returns and once you're ready to shoot again more kills won't do anything until you fire. So it's best on slow powerful weapons.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Just had a Steroids run where no bullet weapons dropped until 5-3, where it gave me a heavy revolver. I actually almost beat the throne, destroyed three out of four generators and then ran into bullets because I still am not good at the throne fight.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

help

help me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that bug is pretty nasty. especially if you get a golden tank, they're murder in the dark lmao

Butyraceous posted:

Just had a Steroids run where no bullet weapons dropped until 5-3, where it gave me a heavy revolver. I actually almost beat the throne, destroyed three out of four generators and then ran into bullets because I still am not good at the throne fight.
fwiw bullet weapons aren't really any better for steroids than any other kind of weapons, despite people talking about steroids dual-bullet builds all the time

congrats tho! :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

[x]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Counter-counterpoint: Chicken

• is the best chicken
  • will cross the road whenever she damm pleases
  • you can run round like a headless chicken

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm 79 hours in and I still haven't beaten it. Had some real heartbreakers making it to the throne and not surviving the bullet hell. This game makes me feel old. Like my reflexes and awareness aren't what they used to be. I should be making loops on a regular basis but I'm too busy blowing myself up or dying on 1-1 to a bandit. The Goomba of NT. It's pitiful. Nuclear Throne is my midlife crises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
My son and I have started to get through co-op, it's kind of an interesting challenge with him being 6 and all, basically I have to do my best to carry him whilst playing with a gamepad (he uses m+kb because that's what he plays minecraft with)

We've managed to get as far as little hunter so far but never beaten him. I'm usually taking steroids with him as Rebel, with a golden wrench which means I can cover him while still shooting something. Works out okay, I prioritise health regen because of the whole give HP to revive functionality.

• Locked thread