Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think one of the really basic reasons the xfiles holds up is because right from the start mulder and scully have mobile phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Can't get enough of x cops

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My favorite part of the show, which I hope they still do, is when Mulder and Scully show up to people's doors, flash their FBI badges, and get totally blown off and disrespected. :allears:

Probably less likely to happen after 9/11 though...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So here's one thing I never put together before... In Apocrypha, we last see Krycek locked in the bottom of a missile silo with a UFO. Then when he shows up again in Tunguska, he basically just says that the militia group broke in and rescued him. So now I wonder if in the universe of The X-Files, the equivalent of Ammon Bundy has a bunch of black oil and alien heat rays they use whenever they Defend Are Freedoms. (I also didn't realize just how different the black oil is in its introductory episodes vs. later episodes. Or how it's explicitly not even supposed to be black oil, it's just a creature living within the oil because that's what it found on the crashed plane.)

I also noticed that Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man has actors from both Space: Above and Beyond and Battlestar Galactica in it. That's one of the only actual "connections" I've been able to find between the shows. (The only actually-substantive connection seems to be that Félix Enríquez Alcalá directed episodes of both shows.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chairman Capone posted:

I also noticed that Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man has actors from both Space: Above and Beyond and Battlestar Galactica in it. That's one of the only actual "connections" I've been able to find between the shows. (The only actually-substantive connection seems to be that Félix Enríquez Alcalá directed episodes of both shows.)

You mean besides Glen Morgan and James Wong creating Space: Above and Beyond and writing for X-files?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I pretty clearly meant connections between Space: Above and Beyond and BSG.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's also an entertaining Easter egg in the second season finale of Millennium where Peter Watts breaks into a secret government bunker and discovers one of CSM's discarded cigarette packets.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You can watch the first minute of the new season here.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

Yeah, continuity was highly verboten on tv shows in the 50s-90s because they wanted to rerun them and expected people to be able to watch on any random weekday a syndicated episode and not feel left out. All plots resolved by the end of the episode, very few recurring characters, and arcs or continuity more by accident. Hell, in the early days of tv they never expected them to rerun at all, so they cared even less.

The exception of course was soap operas, which were very continuity heavy but never reran. X-Files broke the mold by combining the two, which makes Chris Carter a tv genius.
I've also wondered how much TXF paved the way for shows like CSI or Hannibal by raising the bar for the level of gore allowed on network TV. I know that by the 90s we were a long way past the days when corpses couldn't be shown with open eyes on US TV (Star Trek used to get regular reminders from the network censors not to do it), but by 'Bad Blood' we had the bloody entrails of a murder victim being thrown about on screen for laughs, and plenty of gruesome scenes involving bodies or parts thereof before that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

I've also wondered how much TXF paved the way for shows like CSI or Hannibal by raising the bar for the level of gore allowed on network TV. I know that by the 90s we were a long way past the days when corpses couldn't be shown with open eyes on US TV (Star Trek used to get regular reminders from the network censors not to do it), but by 'Bad Blood' we had the bloody entrails of a murder victim being thrown about on screen for laughs, and plenty of gruesome scenes involving bodies or parts thereof before that.

It's sort of a strange thing, isn't it, where you can have gore and it's fine so long as it's funny?

Like that Monty Python with the big fat guy who eats all the food in a restaurant and explodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of CSI, I just remembered that Nicholas Lea (Krycek) had a recurring role early on in the original CSI. I think he was dating Marg Helgenberger's character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's also an entertaining Easter egg in the second season finale of Millennium where Peter Watts breaks into a secret government bunker and discovers one of CSM's discarded cigarette packets.

Morleys have actually shown up a whole lot of places, not all of them deliberate X-Files nods, wherever a cigarette is needed but you can't or won't use a real brand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Morleys have actually shown up a whole lot of places, not all of them deliberate X-Files nods, wherever a cigarette is needed but you can't or won't use a real brand.

Oh, yeah, I know, but in the context of The X-Files, they're CSM's brand, and they wouldn't have gone out of their way to focus on the packet in that Millennium episode if that wasn't what they were hinting at. :D

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of CSI, I just remembered that Nicholas Lea (Krycek) had a recurring role early on in the original CSI. I think he was dating Marg Helgenberger's character.

I really enjoy the episode of Highlander where Nicholas Lea plays an Immortal who McLeod and Amanda knew in the 1930s when he convinced Amanda to go and by the Bonnie to his Clyde, and every time they were inevitably killed in a shoot-out with the police, McLeod had to go and dig them up so they could start over.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, I know, but in the context of The X-Files, they're CSM's brand, and they wouldn't have gone out of their way to focus on the packet in that Millennium episode if that wasn't what they were hinting at. :D

I remember in an episode of Californication they make a point of showing Duchovny's character getting a pack of them, too.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Chairman Capone posted:

In Apocrypha, we last see Krycek locked in the bottom of a missile silo with a UFO. Then when he shows up again in Tunguska, he basically just says that the militia group broke in and rescued him. So now I wonder if in the universe of The X-Files, the equivalent of Ammon Bundy has a bunch of black oil and alien heat rays they use whenever they Defend Are Freedoms.

The patriot militia fruitcake groups were a thing back in the 90s; it goes hand in hand with deranged conservatives railing against a Democratic President. There are multiple episodes of the X-files referencing those kinds of people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They were looking for nukes in that episode as I recall. There's another one where Mulder goes undercover with a militia and they end up being used to test some experimental bioweapon by the government.

It's weird how 90s paranoia was so synched up between the left and the right.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

inignot posted:

The patriot militia fruitcake groups were a thing back in the 90s; it goes hand in hand with deranged conservatives railing against a Democratic President. There are multiple episodes of the X-files referencing those kinds of people.

Yeah, I know that. What struck me is more the fact that in the show one of those groups apparently broke into a hangar where an actual UFO was but didn't seem to care.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Kumail Nanjiani interviewed Duchovny and Anderson on the set of the show:

http://www.feralaudio.com/55-kumail-talks-to-david-duchovny-and-gillian-anderson-on-the-set-of-the-x-files/

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Kumail sounds so happy talking about the conversation :3:

That's a great recording, even if the sound was hella spotty at times.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

inignot posted:

Back in the 90s? We've got militia groups taking over government buildings right now. First time as tragedy, second time as comedy I guess?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Interesting article about the new conspiracies in the show. This is the link http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/11/x-files-revival-conspiracy

quote:

“We live in a CitizenFour world now,” says creator Chris Carter, referring to the documentary on NSA leaker Edward Snowden. “We’ve given up certain rights and freedoms because we want the government to protect us after 9/11. We see the admitted spying by the government. These are not things we’re making up and it informs everything Mulder and Scully and doing are doing.”

Carter describes himself as a “mostly interested observer” in the conspiracy world, and notes he researched the new show by combing through conspiracy websites and attending a conspiracy convention.

“I’ve kept my finger to the wind and trying to figure out what’s relevant and possible credible,” Carter says. “People know the show deals with science and fact and also deals with far-flung theories about not only the supernatural but government conspiracies. It throws out as many questions as it does answers. And I have to say what it’s done for me and the writers it has given us a whole new open field which to run. It’s given the show an interesting new life and context that it might not have had in 2002.”

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hope it's revealed that 9/11 was in fact done by Islamic terrorists acting alone

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Mulder's sister was abducted by grays to pilot the plane into the second tower.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Element 115 can't melt steel beams.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out the Syndicate discovered the secret antidote to the black oil written in invisible ink on the back of Obama's Kenyan birth certificate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Wheat Loaf posted:

Turns out the Syndicate discovered the secret antidote to the black oil written in invisible ink on the back of Obama's Kenyan birth certificate.

National Treasure 3: File of Secrets

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I am a bit worried about the reviews coming in.

quote:

In messy, tedious form, the revered sci-fi series starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson limps back for a limited run on Fox.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-files-tv-review-854844

quote:

Throughout the premiere, it’s simply hard to escape the prevailing malaise of this being a deal-driven exercise, a chance to cash in on the name recognition of the title in a format that mitigated the time commitment for all concerned, particularly Duchovny and Anderson.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/x-files-review-revival-david-duchovny-gillian-anderson-1201675982/

I remember trying my best to like I Want to Believe when it first came out and slowly, begrudgingly accepting its ordinariness. Then again, it is just the premiere. The MotW eps might be better.

Octy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 13, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm up to season 7 episode.... 13? Is it worth watching anymore? It's just so convoluted

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Black oil can't melt steel beams.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I'm up to season 7 episode.... 13? Is it worth watching anymore? It's just so convoluted

Hollywood A.D. is pretty fun

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RC Cola posted:

After that point, I like: En Ami (15), Brand X (18), Hollywood A.D. (19, and one of my favorites of the entire series), Je Souhaite (21), and Requiem (22, which really would have been an ideal place to just end the series, or at least the alien mytharc).

But really after those there's nothing you absolutely need to watch in the last two seasons. Except maybe the episode where Aaron Paul is a high school Jackass-copycat.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

After that point, I like: En Ami (15), Brand X (18), Hollywood A.D. (19, and one of my favorites of the entire series), Je Souhaite (21), and Requiem (22, which really would have been an ideal place to just end the series, or at least the alien mytharc).

But really after those there's nothing you absolutely need to watch in the last two seasons. Except maybe the episode where Aaron Paul is a high school Jackass-copycat.

Surely, Sunshine Days should be in this list as about the only good thing that came out of Season 9?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm also a pretty big fan of the Burt Reynolds as God episode that's also from season 9. The name of it escapes me at the moment.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
The reviews have been straight loving disappointment so far.

quote:

Breaking news: Carter doesn’t have it. Opening with a long-winded voiceover (that even Duchovny psuedo-complained about during the post-screening Q&A) and awkwardly infusing old lines to new events, the first hour of the revival never really finds its stride.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-the-x-files-revival-shows-its-age-in-season-10-premiere-20151010

eughhh

haven't seen a positive review yet

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
But the reviews are only for the 1st episode, which suffers the double whammy of being related to the mytharc and being written by Carter (which was always the weakest of the writers, in my opinion). I want to see what they will say about the Morgan episodes (both Darin and Glenn).

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A lot of the reviews complain about Carter's tendency to write indecipherable mystery plots and long rambling speeches, both of which I actually find endearing. But we'll see!

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pLxYXpW8I

gently caress off, Keith!

meatpath fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 13, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, the long winded voice over thing is pretty x files.

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

...THE INTERNETS!

oh, i needed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The interview with them is great! They are so cute together! :3:

I could pretty much see how they'd be down to do a few eps a year just to hang out.

• Locked thread