Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We need a federal curriculum - globalization means the world is shrinking and the USA is falling behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

please read the linked article for a good overview of how hosed the mta runs the subway

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

they don't even know where the trains are. at any time. on any line. the entire system runs on turn-of-the-century technology.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Abel Wingnut posted:

they don't even know where the trains are. at any time. on any line. the entire system runs on turn-of-the-century technology.

15-year-old tech is better than a lot of places, I have to say.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is it still legal to smoke in bars, restaurants, and offices in Texas?

Yup: http://www.texastribune.org/2014/12/19/smoking-ban-stalls-capitol-cities-go-it-alone/

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Abel Wingnut posted:

please read the linked article for a good overview of how hosed the mta runs the subway

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

I'm sorry am I supposed to read this and feel like this is a bad thing? This is loving awesome. It's a loving piece of art.

I also can assure you that it probably has a lower failure rate and is much safer than any kind of system they come up to replace it.

And in a way its magical. Analog. The anonymousity of it all just makes it that much more charming that much greater - it takes you back to a time before everything was trackable and assigned a number and part of a greater statistic. God drat.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

CalmDownMate posted:

I'm sorry am I supposed to read this and feel like this is a bad thing? This is loving awesome. It's a loving piece of art.

I also can assure you that it probably has a lower failure rate and is much safer than any kind of system they come up to replace it.

And in a way its magical. Analog. The anonymousity of it all just makes it that much more charming that much greater - it takes you back to a time before everything was trackable and assigned a number and part of a greater statistic. God drat.

Actually, I think you'll find that light rail systems with designated arrival times own bones.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ The Newark Light Rail is good - but they still have human operators and sometimes run off schedule.

CalmDownMate posted:

They could have a secure wireless network that all the trains report through - that way you change as little as possible. Probably no money for it - just like a million other things in NYC infrastructure as sea levels rise. I haven't forgotten Sandy - everyone in the world is one major mishap away from being a refugee themselves - we see it in the Black Mirror.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Apparently Fox Business had made the decision that Rand Paul is not a legitimate candidate:

quote:

Rand Paul will boycott Thursday night's Republican primary debate in South Carolina after being relegated from the main stage, he said on Monday.

"I won't participate in anything that's not first tier because we have a first tier campaign," the Kentucky senator told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Paul's announcement came moments before Fox Business Network, the sponsor of Thursday's debate, announced that just seven candidates had qualified for the main stage. Those candidates are Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush and John Kasich. Both Paul and Carly Fiorina, who appeared on the main stage in last month's CNN debate, were relegated to the undercard round, along with Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee, according to the network.

Fox Business announced last month that its January 14 debate would include the top six candidates based on the average of the five most recent national polls, as well as those who finish in the top five in Iowa or New Hampshire.

The Fox Business debate will mark the first time only seven candidates have appeared on the main stage for a Republican debate. The undercard debate, meanwhile, will see no more than three candidates, given Paul's refusal to honor what he sees as "a mistake" by the debate's sponsor.

"It's a mistake because the thing is we actually have been in the top five or six in most of the recent polls. In fact, last week in a national poll we were just one point out of fourth place. So I think it's a mistake to try to exclude me from the national debate," he told Blitzer. Following the interview, Paul's campaign released a statement in which it protested Paul's treatment by the media. "By any reasonable criteria Sen. Paul has a top tier campaign," the statement read. "He will not let the media decide the tiers of this race and will instead take his message directly to the voters of New Hampshire and Iowa."

"Multiple national polls including CNN, CBS, Fox, Marist and others have him in 5th or 6th place, one had him just a single point out of 4th," the statement continued. "In multiple polls he scores ahead of Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, John Kasich and Carly Fiorina. In yesterday's Marist Iowa poll he was alone in 5th place. In fact his numbers are on the rise in recent weeks."

Fox Business did not make public which polls were under consideration prior to Monday night's announcement, and Fox Business spokespeople did not respond to requests for comment on Monday night.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/politics/rand-paul-fox-debate/index.html

The current national polling average indicates Paul is in a solid 7th with Kasich well below.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

toanoradian posted:

Are there term limits for VPs? I mean, to be a VP one must be eligible to be a P, so I guess that's one way to limit terms for VPs that was/will be a P, but if the VP was never P, can that person be chosen as VP indefinitely?

Can a Republican P, for example, choose Cheney as VP again?

In theory you could be reelected Vice President continuously ever since you turned 35, putting like 21 terms under your belt before dying of extreme old age. However no vice president has ever successfully been elected to 3 or more terms.

You could choose Cheney, the problem is he'd probably kill your campaign chances!

CommieGIR posted:

Well, and the issue is (especially in places in the South like Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, etc.) these nuts then get positions on the school board and start changing the lesson plans to insert their own home spun wisdom, despite the fact that the courts have time and again told them to knock it off.

Do keep in mind that these are the same places that had to have the supreme court first beat them back from completely banning evolution, and then beat them back later from mandating creation be taught as well even when they couldn't bar teaching evolution. This is no sort of new movement, it's something that's been ongoing since the dawn of public education in this country - and there's likely been places teaching straight up creation for years. You just wouldn't have heard of them because everyone there agrees that evolution is the devil's work or whatever the gently caress.

Abel Wingnut posted:

You realize that tons of major city transport systems the world and country over either have no functioning arrival signs or only partial coverage of their network (like NYC?). You act like everywhere has this tech but NYC and that isn't even close to true. I'd take 24 hour service and short headways over "well we only got the two light rail lines, but they have arrival signs!!" any day.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that light rail systems with designated arrival times own bones.

You know what owns a lot more? A subway system instead, where there's way more frequent service and you end up not caring about when the next train is coming because they arrive so frequently. Light rail stuff is ok if your city is just starting public transit but it really struggles to handle heavy loads, especially if a lot of its service area has to deal with road crossings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CalmDownMate posted:

The subway isn't a piece of art, it's a utility that millions of people require to be reliable and timely for their lives to be manageable. There's a place for aesthetics in the system- in the parts that passengers experience, on the platforms and cars and in the hallways. The parts that actually make it work should have "charm" as the absolute last priority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Do keep in mind that these are the same places that had to have the supreme court first beat them back from completely banning evolution, and then beat them back later from mandating creation be taught as well even when they couldn't bar teaching evolution. This is no sort of new movement, it's something that's been ongoing since the dawn of public education in this country - and there's likely been places teaching straight up creation for years. You just wouldn't have heard of them because everyone there agrees that evolution is the devil's work or whatever the gently caress.

No, I'm aware if that.

But there IS new movement, especially in Red States: Charter schools. And defunding Public Education to fund them

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

You know what owns a lot more? A subway system instead, where there's way more frequent service and you end up not caring about when the next train is coming because they arrive so frequently. Light rail stuff is ok if your city is just starting public transit but it really struggles to handle heavy loads, especially if a lot of its service area has to deal with road crossings.

I suppose it is nice that these cities aren't as densely populated as NYC, then.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boon posted:

Apparently Fox Business had made the decision that Rand Paul is not a legitimate candidate

No, I think you'll find that ~*~the market decided :smug:~*~

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rand Paul is a fool to not go to a debate where his opponents are three garbage-tier shitstains no one cares about that he could dunk on for an hour. He'd be back on the main stage in two weeks, ahead of Kasich and Bush.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Rand Paul is a fool to not go to a debate where his opponents are three garbage-tier shitstains no one cares about that he could dunk on for an hour. He'd be back on the main stage in two weeks, ahead of Kasich and Bush.

So the Graham path to victory?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lotka Volterra posted:

I suppose it is nice that these cities aren't as densely populated as NYC, then.

This is why those cities are horrible to live in, their sprawled out design and car dependency.

CommieGIR posted:

No, I'm aware if that.

But there IS new movement, especially in Red States: Charter schools. And defunding Public Education to fund them

Charter schools are whites only schools under another name, a ton of the time. Nothing new really.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Rand Paul hasn't been dunking on anybody in any of the debates. Every time he seems annoyed to have to be there at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Charter schools are whites only schools under another name, a ton of the time. Nothing new really.

No, not in this case. Multiple Private Christian Schools have popped up in my county, and they are sucking the funds out of the Public Schools.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

So the Graham path to victory?
Lindsey Graham was never on the main stage.
Chris Christie, however, was knocked down to the Kiddie Table back in November, promptly wiped the floor with Huckabee, Jindal, and Santorum, and now he's ahead of Bush, which admittedly isn't a high benchmark, but still.

smg77 posted:

Rand Paul hasn't been dunking on anybody in any of the debates. Every time he seems annoyed to have to be there at all.
He stumped the Trump.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

This is why those cities are horrible to live in, their sprawled out design and car dependency.

Yeah, if you're fat and live in the suburbs

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

No, not in this case. Multiple Private Christian Schools have popped up in my county, and they are sucking the funds out of the Public Schools.

Its race-nationalism by way of Zionism. To be very frank it is sectarian.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Which is great until you start doing college level work, including your first few college prep classes. You can't get through a decent STEM education without understanding how a good amount of this "heretical" science works. We need to be preparing our kids for success when they come up to these ideas, instead of hiding them so kids get blindsided in college when poo poo gets real.

This is missing a lot of the point of why the curriculum is designed this way (or at least, why it makes sense to have a curriculum like this, to some degree). It is not that Newtonian mechanics are "wrong" per se; its predictions are correct, according to relativity, for classical objects (not too small, not too large) with velocities much slower than the speed of light. A big part of scientific theory isn't that things are constantly being proved wrong, but rather that what is currently known is discovered to be incomplete. Theories are constantly updated so that existing theory is considered a special case of the new theory under certain conditions.

It's not evil curriculum designers teaching students "wrong" information, it's that they teach the "special cases" used for solving appropriately difficult problems by abstracting away a great deal of complexity that essentially has no impact on the result were it to be included. It should certainly be taught when special cases break down, and when the more general theory should be used, but teaching the special case is not in and of itself demonstrative of trying to hide complexity for its own sake. Sometimes the complexity simply isn't needed.

Indeed, I'd argue that understanding this process of abstraction, where it be in going from high to low level theory, or in understanding when additional factors should be taken into account (or when approximations can be made without issue), is actually vastly more important than knowing the theory itself. If I am analysing the mechanics of a 5 year olds baseball pitch, I can use Newtownian mechanics and ignore wind resistance, and get an accurate answer. If I'm analysing the mechanics of a major leage baseball pitch, I'd need to take wind resistance into account. But if I used relativity, I'd get an answer than perhaps differs slightly at the 20th decimal place. Not using relatively in such a situation is entirely reasonable. If the pitcher throws the baseball at half the speed of light, perhaps I bother taking it into account.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

Yes in this case. Those parents' parents didn't "need" the private "christian" school (yeah I bet they're about as Christian as a shinto shrine) when they were growing up, because the public schools were kept "safely" whites only or near enough for their purposes.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yeah, if you're fat and live in the suburbs

If you have to talk up a city's transit system by referring to how the light rail line has departure sings, or hell even just the light rail line - your city is a sprawled out shithole and car dependent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Yes in this case. Those parents' parents didn't "need" the private "christian" school (yeah I bet they're about as Christian as a shinto shrine) when they were growing up, because the public schools were kept "safely" whites only or near enough for their purposes.

....no, they are pretty hardcore Christian. I know one of the local ones teaches Creationism and has a Biblical History class, and does a lot of Christian Rallys.

This is right outside of Atlanta.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

haveblue posted:

The subway isn't a piece of art, it's a utility that millions of people require to be reliable and timely for their lives to be manageable. There's a place for aesthetics in the system- in the parts that passengers experience, on the platforms and cars and in the hallways. The parts that actually make it work should have "charm" as the absolute last priority
Yes let's replace the quaint little rail switch system with a technological monstrosity that is exactly on time. Like clock work. Everything must be like clockwork. Workers must arrive to the station at the same time everyday, go to work at the same time everyday, and leave at the same time everyday. Like the cogs; the pieces of machinery they are. To hell with these romantic notions of a train system that doesn't exactly arrive at always the same time and doesn't always stop at the same place. Those things might give people room to stop and think - imagine the world around them - experience the magic and beauty of a indeterminate world. Notice someone they weren't supposed to notice because they weren't "supposed to" because you know they were "supposed to" be on time. They were "supposed to" be a cog. And we were "supposed to" let that happen.

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 12, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CalmDownMate posted:

Yes let's replace the quaint little rail switch system with a technological monstrosity that is exactly on time. Like clock work. Everything must be like clockwork. Workers must arrive to the station at the same time everyday, go to work at the same time everyday, and leave at the same time everyday. Like the cogs; the pieces of machinery they are.

If you're going to war against capital's absorption of human will & effort, there are better places to start than light rail.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CalmDownMate posted:

Yes let's replace the quaint little rail switch system with a technological monstrosity that is exactly on time. Like clock work. Everything must be like clockwork. Workers must arrive to the station at the same time everyday, go to work at the same time everyday, and leave at the same time everyday. Like the cogs; the pieces of machinery they are. To hell with these romantic notions of a train system that doesn't exactly arrive at always the same time and doesn't always stop at the same place. Those things might give people room to stop and think - imagine the world around them - experience the magic and beauty of a indeterminate world. Notice someone they weren't supposed to notice because they weren't "supposed to" because you know they were "supposed to" be on time. They were "supposed to" be a cog. And we were "supposed to" let that happen.

This but unironically.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

....no, they are pretty hardcore Christian. I know one of the local ones teaches Creationism and has a Biblical History class, and does a lot of Christian Rallys.

Ok then for sure this is explicitly about not being able to have segregated schools anymore. No loving question about it.

CalmDownMate posted:

Nah he's right, it would be better if stuff was a bit more consistent. There's nothing beautiful about the switches loving up on the IRT Corona Line. 80 years ago when most of the current system was brand new, noone waxed nostalgic about the analog machinery, people like you at the time whined about it being clockwork technological monstrosities because it was the new latest thing.

A 24 hour transportation system that covers 660 miles of tracks, and carries 1.75 billion fares a year "quaint" get real

You're one of the people who got mad about the CBTC upgrades on the L line because it was "too mechanical" and not because "service was disrupted for years", aren't you?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

rkajdi posted:

Which is great until you start doing college level work, including your first few college prep classes. You can't get through a decent STEM education without understanding how a good amount of this "heretical" science works. We need to be preparing our kids for success when they come up to these ideas, instead of hiding them so kids get blindsided in college when poo poo gets real.

Increased scientific literacy (and hell, regular literacy while we're at it) is what it's going to take to make people capable of operating in a modern society. At this rate, all you're getting KS and OK to turn into is The Land That Hope Forgot (But Meth Still Remembers). We already have an Alabama and a Mississippi, we can't afford a second of each.

I feel like it's more complicated than this. There is a difference between understanding science and technology in order to better appreciate how society functions, and deep technical knowledge a STEM education should give you. STEM is often very focused, very insular depending on the discipline, and it's why it's easy to find very ideologically rigid, somewhat ignorant engineers compared broader fields focused on critical thinking.

Honestly, it's not engineers that we're short of, and the flattening salary for the majority of ;people with a STEM education is a clear enough sign of that. What we need is education in critical thinking, communication, and to an extent, an understanding of policy and civics. We want an educated society, not a society of scientists and engineers. Knowing when a scientist is full of poo poo, based on access to a plurality of sources as opposed to thinking a scientist is full of poo poo because your gut tells you so is the key here, and our education system should reflect that kind of information.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Hm yes I can't imagine that there's any demand for majority-white schools near Atlanta

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

If you have to talk up a city's transit system by referring to how the light rail line has departure sings, or hell even just the light rail line - your city is a sprawled out shithole and car dependent.

I'm sorry fishmech, but New York sucks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Hm yes I can't imagine that there's any demand for majority-white schools near Atlanta

That wasn't the point.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

fishmech posted:

Ok then for sure this is explicitly about not being able to have segregated schools anymore. No loving question about it.

Nah he's right, it would be better if stuff was a bit more consistent. There's nothing beautiful about the switches loving up on the IRT Corona Line. 80 years ago when most of the current system was brand new, noone waxed nostalgic about the analog machinery, people like you at the time whined about it being clockwork technological monstrosities because it was the new latest thing.

A 24 hour transportation system that covers 660 miles of tracks, and carries 1.75 billion fares a year "quaint" get real

You're one of the people who got mad about the CBTC upgrades on the L line because it was "too mechanical" and not because "service was disrupted for years", aren't you?

You're the kind of person who uses Uber and buys Tesla's.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blindeye posted:

I feel like it's more complicated than this. There is a difference between understanding science and technology in order to better appreciate how society functions, and deep technical knowledge a STEM education should give you. STEM is often very focused, very insular depending on the discipline, and it's why it's easy to find very ideologically rigid, somewhat ignorant engineers compared broader fields focused on critical thinking.

Any good program long ago realized the issues with being insular and have been working to correct that. Especially Engineering (since that's what you mean by STEM), where there's an increasing amount of international communication due to globalization and other factors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CalmDownMate posted:

I don't think that comes off as much of an insult

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lotka Volterra posted:

I'm sorry fishmech, but New York sucks

New York sucks for the same reason London sucks:

It has some of the best public resources a city could hope for but a bunch of rich shits have co-opted it all.

Light rail is a solution for cities without the traffic problems of a major urban center or the funds to create dedicated right-of-way over long distances.

computer parts posted:

Any good program long ago realized the issues with being insular and have been working to correct that. Especially Engineering (since that's what you mean by STEM), where there's an increasing amount of international communication due to globalization and other factors.

I went to a pretty good program, with colleagues from other solid programs. Generally they require you to take basic lit, a foreign language, and do several classes in one or two (non-science) subjects. I studied history because I read voraciously and love history, but many people I knew took things like business or management classes. While it's better certainly than super-specialized programs, you still end up spending lots of time only interacting with engineers, or taking humanities classes with engineers because it's a "good sequence" of classes to take. You often also find engineering campuses segregated with their own dorms and the like, further complicating manners.

What I was arguing though wasn't that STEM classes were bad at giving people critical thinking skills (I would say there are modestly okay, considering the focus), but that giving more hard science or engineering classes to people not interested in the subject won't increase technical literacy. Technical literacy and critical thinking are something that can be taught outside of giving people more math and science.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 12, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CalmDownMate posted:

And you've just engaged fishmech on the subject of trains.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CalmDownMate posted:

Criticizing someone for using Uber is a lot like trying to delegitimize an anti-establishment movement for using Twitter as a coordinating tool.

Like, are we supposed to completely isolate ourselves from a system just because we don't necessarily believe it's all good?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fishmech posted:

You realize that tons of major city transport systems the world and country over either have no functioning arrival signs or only partial coverage of their network (like NYC?). You act like everywhere has this tech but NYC and that isn't even close to true. I'd take 24 hour service and short headways over "well we only got the two light rail lines, but they have arrival signs!!" any day.

i do. i also know most subway systems do not have countdown clocks.

but countdown articles aren't the real point of that article. instead, that article uses countdown clocks as an example to demonstrate the pure-strain dysfunction inherent to the nyc subway system, past, present, and future. a lack of countdown clocks is just 1 of about 1000 issues currently plaguing the system.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

That wasn't the point.

We're just pointing out that the religious beliefs of the white minority living near Black Mecca are unlikely to be sincere and more likely the result of it being the second most segregated city in the country.

mdemone posted:

And you've just engaged fishmech on the subject of trains.

Hahaha

• Locked thread