Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Helck is really good, thanks for that. It runs on a magazine or is more like a webcomic?

It runs in Ura Sunday which is an online magazine and also in the smartphone app-only service Manga One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Helck is pretty awesome, yup. Thanks for recommending it everyone!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I don't agree with the Helck-Saitama comparison. It's only superficially true in that they're both ridiculously strong for their setting. But the way the story handles their ridiculous strength is way different.

There seems to be this dumb idea among fans of One-Punch Man that the main reason it's good is that Saitama is strong and can beat up people.

I'm at chapter 22 of Helck now and it is super good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
New One-Shot Manga by Fujimaki Tadatoshi(Kuroko no Basket's Author) Vanguard of Archer.

http://readms.com/r/one_shot/Vanguard%20of%20Archer/3162/1

Seems pretty cool, I've always liked his art. And I'm a sucker for any series or game where the main weapon is a bow and arrow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't posted about Magi in a while but I really, really like the way things are going in the latest arc (Chapter 291). It's the best the series has been in ages.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dexo posted:

New One-Shot Manga by Fujimaki Tadatoshi(Kuroko no Basket's Author) Vanguard of Archer.

http://readms.com/r/one_shot/Vanguard%20of%20Archer/3162/1

Seems pretty cool, I've always liked his art. And I'm a sucker for any series or game where the main weapon is a bow and arrow.

generic premise but yeah, I kinda dig the idea of the MC being a badass archer.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Helck good.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kuwabara Ftw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Area D finished and definitely gives the impression it was cancelled and forced to rush its ending

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Reading World Trigger right now. The way this comic deals with fights can be pretty fun, the current invasion arc and the previous invasion arc have been pretty entertaining. Interesting watching the team try to find the right balance in the rank wars as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i flunked out posted:

Reading World Trigger right now. The way this comic deals with fights can be pretty fun, the current invasion arc and the previous invasion arc have been pretty entertaining. Interesting watching the team try to find the right balance in the rank wars as well.

World Trigger has some of the best fights of any shounen series, in my opinion. The overall plot isn't that great, but the action and characters make up for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like team "rad as heck ladies".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

World Trigger has some of the best fights of any shounen series, in my opinion. The overall plot isn't that great, but the action and characters make up for it.

The plot does allow for any weird poo poo the author wants to happen due to dimensional travel. I cannot wait for some stuff from totally not extradimensional Russia, SERIOUSLY.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I finished all available chapters of World Trigger a while ago and while I was initially bored and did not expect much, the manga turned out to be actually pretty kicking rad.

Sure, the setting, plot and magic systems are all by-the-numbers and painfully generic, but the author is pretty good at character interaction, the main protagonist is an average dude who is actually legit average, without any secret superpowers, genius-level intellect or incredible untapped potential, and it has some of the best battles in shonen. It has also a lot of female characters that actually do stuff and are allowed to be competent, all while having almost no fanservice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I finished all available chapters of World Trigger a while ago and while I was initially bored and did not expect much, the manga turned out to be actually pretty kicking rad.

Sure, the setting, plot and magic systems are all by-the-numbers and painfully generic, but the author is pretty good at character interaction, the main protagonist is an average dude who is actually legit average, without any secret superpowers, genius-level intellect or incredible untapped potential, and it has some of the best battles in shonen. It has also a lot of female characters that actually do stuff and are allowed to be competent, all while having almost no fanservice.

The thing that makes World Trigger (and any battle manga) good is giving the reader a clear understanding of the powers/skills of the characters involved and having them interact in a realistic way. In a good comic, the outcome of a fight will always "make sense" on some level and involve both sides making creative use of pre-established abilities in believable ways.

This is why I'm not a big fan of the fights in comics like Black Clover or Fairy Tail. While we know that Character A might use "wind magic", we don't actually understand any details about what the skills do most of the time, aside from just generic damage or healing or whatever. So the author can just arbitrarily say "this guy's ____ magic was stronger/faster than this other guy's ____ magic", which isn't interesting at all for the reader.

World Trigger is especially good in this regard, as even the strongest bad guys don't have insurmountable advantages. Their weapons may be better, but they aren't so much better that they can effortlessly overpower other characters or require nonsensical power-ups on the part of the protagonist's side to overcome. Most of them were defeated by characters using bog-standard equipment that we had already been exposed to. Hunter X Hunter is also an example of a very good battle series (I would actually say World Trigger's fights are a bit better than HxH's in this respect, though HxH more than makes up for this by having a much stronger plot).

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I keep wanting to like it... maybe it'd read better in a collected format, but when I read week by week it just seems like "random video game system with rear end-pull new abilities" every issue. And everyone looks the same.

I mean, it's good that not everyone has a Black Trigger so it doesn't just feel like X-Men or Hero Academia, but... everyone is kinda generic without it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
World trigger's problem is that it's just hard to follow on a week to week basis. It reads a lot better in chunks since its battles take a few weeks to finish.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also the character design is a bit too samey I feel so it gets confusing considering how big the cast is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As a student of manga fights it may be time for me to check out World Trigger.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

As a student of manga fights it may be time for me to check out World Trigger.

It has some neat tactics, and generally follows its rules pretty well. Like I said, the main problem is that some major tactic or technique might be explained early on, and then won't have a big payoff till 2 or 3 months later, so it can be difficult to follow from week to week if you don't recall the exposition from months ago.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I will never get bored of Ban and Meliodas' fratboy routine. It's just a joy to behold every single time :allears:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was talking to someone and they recommended a Shounen series that I don't know anything about. Has anyone here read Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was talking to someone and they recommended a Shounen series that I don't know anything about. Has anyone here read Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches?

It's a harem romcom if that's your thing. Lots of kissing between every sex so that's cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's like a worse, more fanservicey somewhat supernatural version of Yankee-kun & Megane-chan.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Lots of kissing between every sex so that's cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kissing is a nice friendly gesture?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Kissing is a nice friendly gesture?

lots of kissing between every sex, is a funny turn of phrase

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

it is a humorous reaction image posted in response to the unintended, second, more literal, meaning that your post could also carry, the electric blue gecko seems to be grinning in response to the words that were typed in your post

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
save that for pet island or the garbage can, anime reaction gifs only plz. thx

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dipple posted:

save that for pet island or the garbage can, anime reaction gifs only plz. thx

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sharkopath posted:

it is a humorous reaction image posted in response to the unintended, second, more literal, meaning that your post could also carry, the electric blue gecko seems to be grinning in response to the words that were typed in your post

Was wondering about that when you were doing it a while ago. Wasn't quite sure what the gecko was conveying

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Was wondering about that when you were doing it a while ago. Wasn't quite sure what the gecko was conveying

It's The Emerald Gecko Of Happiness

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mraagvpeine posted:

It was okay until they got to the point where it should have ended, and then it just kept going

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Reveal the post!!

edit: bhlues post has been freed

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Blhue posted:

It was okay until they got to the point where it should have ended, and then it just kept going

The anime ends at the right place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of new Railgun chapters

:drat:, Frenda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hey

So

grenades in the mouth, a real bad way to go!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I find it kind of odd that they had an arc focusing on a girl who was casually killed off in a book released years earlier. Like, why bother? Due to the entire index/railgun continuity taking place over such a short period of time Frenda is going to die in at most what, a month after this story? poo poo, she might not even have lasted long enough for the mackerel date.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're at a point now where they kind of have to commit to giving the non-Misaka characters things to do, since she's presumably busy at this point. That said didn't Frenda get kind of "retconned" into being a more important character in the later books thanks to her sister or something? I don't really keep up with Index.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey

So

Not to mention being surrounded by her regular doll bombs while being Hans Grubered out of a skyscraper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey

So

There was no body found, so I'm sure she'll turn out to have survived after being teleported or cloned or some other excuse later on.