Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Zenostein posted:

I have an old electric (aluminum, I guess) frying pan (a Sunbeam from like the '70's). On the bottom, it is stamped 1250W, and I'm assuming it's just a metal coil in it, not a gas tube or something, but I don't really know. I have a heat control/plug from another model, but this is 1550W. Can I safely use it with the 1250W pan? I presume it'll be hotter than indicated, but I can work around that. I just don't want it to melt or something equally unpleasant.
Can you post a photo of the piece indicated, and any identifying markings on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

photomikey posted:

Can you post a photo of the piece indicated, and any identifying markings on it?

Sure!

Plug (It's hard to read, but it says 1550 W 120 V AC Only):

Bottom of Pan:

Markings in center:

Markings on plug port:

Plug port:

Based on it being "immersible" I'm assuming it's more like the metal coils on an electric stove than the gas tubes in those electric barbecues. But even then, I don't really know enough about electrics to know what pushing more wattage through than it's intended for will do, besides probably be hotter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zenostein posted:

Sure!

Plug (It's hard to read, but it says 1550 W 120 V AC Only):

Bottom of Pan:

Markings in center:

Markings on plug port:

Plug port:

Based on it being "immersible" I'm assuming it's more like the metal coils on an electric stove than the gas tubes in those electric barbecues. But even then, I don't really know enough about electrics to know what pushing more wattage through than it's intended for will do, besides probably be hotter.

It's nearly always safe to use a higher current (amp) or watt power supply with something that needs less, so long as the volts are proper. The item won't naturally draw dangerously more than the original power adapter did, and the power supply can't force more power in - the power supply can however force either too low volts or too high volts in which damages the circuitry.

It's unlikely the heating element had any controls in it to keep it to "just" 1250 watts on the original power supply - that's probably just what the heating element can handle when plugged into the wall. Your most likely problem, based on the labeling, would be that the original cord could let you dial down the power, while the new cord will be all or nothing, or might even only put out partial power. This might make it unusable for cooking some things.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you have a voltmeter it's a real easy equation. Measure the voltage the cord puts out when plugged into the wall, measure resistance of the heating element (the two big fat pins inside the connector on the pan).

(Voltage)2/(Resistance)=Watts, if that's 1250 or less you're golden.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Well the new cord does have a temperature knob, so based on the above, the knob regulates the voltage that gets fed into the element, right? So basically, I just shouldn't turn it up terribly high and can't really rely on the temperature markings on the controller, I guess?

Or if I can scare up a voltmeter, I could probably map the approximate temperatures myself? Like, assume the maximum temperature is n00º, that would be ~1250W, algebra out the voltage required, and then see what setting on the controller gives me that voltage. Something like that, maybe? Or is all the resistance/voltage control meant to be done in the controller, rather than the element?

In any event, the likely result of running it at full on the controller is just burning out the heating element?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Recently I've been watching the Great Australian Bake Off, which is a reality show where every episode takes place over a weekend. They don't try to hide the fact that the episode is taking place over two days, they're very clear that the first two challenges take up the first day and the last challenge takes up the second day. You can clearly see the sky get darker and they even have a little discussion about how the first day went at the end of it. But even though this isn't something they're trying to hide with editing or other TV magic, they still have all the contestants, hosts and judges wear the exact same clothes the next day, as if they were trying to pretend that it was the same day. What's up with that? Why not let them wear different clothes? Do they think it's going to confuse viewers too much or something? Are the clothes all coming out of their wardrobe budget and they don't have enough to cover a whole series otherwise?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zenostein posted:

Well the new cord does have a temperature knob, so based on the above, the knob regulates the voltage that gets fed into the element, right? So basically, I just shouldn't turn it up terribly high and can't really rely on the temperature markings on the controller, I guess?

Or if I can scare up a voltmeter, I could probably map the approximate temperatures myself? Like, assume the maximum temperature is n00º, that would be ~1250W, algebra out the voltage required, and then see what setting on the controller gives me that voltage. Something like that, maybe? Or is all the resistance/voltage control meant to be done in the controller, rather than the element?

In any event, the likely result of running it at full on the controller is just burning out the heating element?

The most likely result of the new cord is you won't get any difference between like 75% power and 100% power on its dial, since the heating element can't use the extra available current and the new cord can't force it in. On the other hand, there might be a simple thermostat built in so it'll get to the intended temperatures anyway.

Also rather than fussing with a voltmeter, a better thing would be to get a cheap infrared thermometer, and just see what the device heats to at different positions, and mark off based on that. As a bonus those things are handy for a lot of cooking tasks and hunting down problems with a drafty room. You can get em for under 50 bucks, like at http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Infrared-Thermometer-IR002/205509667

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Zenostein posted:

A cord rated for a higher wattage is rated for a higher current in its cable. The original was drawing ~10A (1250W/120V) and the newer cable can do ~13A (1550W/120V) so you only really need to be careful in that upper range where the stove is not rated for >10A. All that means is that the company is not liable for you running it at higher than expected amperage if you end up burning your house down. :v:

You can map out temperature/voltage relations if you really want, but just don't run it on full blast. The new cord's temperature markings are likely just bullshit anyways, even if it was matched with the appropriate heater.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any Firefox plugins that get rid of those javascript popups that always ask you to subscribe to some poo poo newsletter or talk to fake customer support when you go to a website? I know I can do noscript, but that disables pretty much every function of most websites.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are there any Firefox plugins that get rid of those javascript popups that always ask you to subscribe to some poo poo newsletter or talk to fake customer support when you go to a website? I know I can do noscript, but that disables pretty much every function of most websites.

Try using ublock origin with most of the English filter packs enabled. I've found it blocks most of them as is.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Recently I've been watching the Great Australian Bake Off, which is a reality show where every episode takes place over a weekend. They don't try to hide the fact that the episode is taking place over two days, they're very clear that the first two challenges take up the first day and the last challenge takes up the second day. You can clearly see the sky get darker and they even have a little discussion about how the first day went at the end of it. But even though this isn't something they're trying to hide with editing or other TV magic, they still have all the contestants, hosts and judges wear the exact same clothes the next day, as if they were trying to pretend that it was the same day. What's up with that? Why not let them wear different clothes? Do they think it's going to confuse viewers too much or something? Are the clothes all coming out of their wardrobe budget and they don't have enough to cover a whole series otherwise?

Makes it easier for viewers to follow and a lot easier to edit, especially into promos and ads.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

NESguerilla posted:

What is going on when I run into random unlocked wifi networks that I can connect to, but the internet still doesn't work if I connect to them?

A lot of businesses will have wifi where every domain redirects to the login page. Those networks look open and unsecured, but when Twitter tries to connect to its API, it instead gets the HTML of the gateway page over and over again instead of your tweets.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

A cord rated for a higher wattage is rated for a higher current in its cable. The original was drawing ~10A (1250W/120V) and the newer cable can do ~13A (1550W/120V) so you only really need to be careful in that upper range where the stove is not rated for >10A. All that means is that the company is not liable for you running it at higher than expected amperage if you end up burning your house down. :v:

You can map out temperature/voltage relations if you really want, but just don't run it on full blast. The new cord's temperature markings are likely just bullshit anyways, even if it was matched with the appropriate heater.

Alright then, thanks.

fishmech posted:

The most likely result of the new cord is you won't get any difference between like 75% power and 100% power on its dial, since the heating element can't use the extra available current and the new cord can't force it in. On the other hand, there might be a simple thermostat built in so it'll get to the intended temperatures anyway.

Also rather than fussing with a voltmeter, a better thing would be to get a cheap infrared thermometer, and just see what the device heats to at different positions, and mark off based on that. As a bonus those things are handy for a lot of cooking tasks and hunting down problems with a drafty room. You can get em for under 50 bucks, like at http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Infrared-Thermometer-IR002/205509667

:v: I would just try to boil some water and see what that's marked at and go from there, but it's not a linear scale (or numbered below 260). But yeah, either way it's not too big a deal. Thanks!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Is there an easy way to put together a picture from a terminator perspective?

Like that, but I want to be able to lay it over a photo. I'm wondering if there is a website that can simply apply a filter to a picture I upload.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Grifter posted:

Like that, but I want to be able to lay it over a photo. I'm wondering if there is a website that can simply apply a filter to a picture I upload.

Color filter + science-ey text is pretty simple, but any sort of outlining would have to be done manually.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Enourmo posted:

Color filter + science-ey text is pretty simple, but any sort of outlining would have to be done manually.

Well, not necessarily; it depends on the nature of the outlining and how exact you're expecting it to be.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd make the picture greyscale and reduce the number of colors, slight blur, then add the color filter on top of it.

Otherwise you'll get this perfect, pristine picture, just... red.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Looking for plant advice:

I have a couple bamboo plants in a single 6 inch wide [at the mouth] ceramic pot. In all, they reach 2 feet, maye 2 feet and 5 inches high. I think there's about four stems from which leaves sprout from, two large [about one inch width?] and two smaller [about a centimeter width?].

I don't want more bamboos, and I heard putting them into a bigger pot would induce additional growth. But they have been in that pot for maybe 6-8 years and I'd hate for it to start dying of bound roots. I have chopped off some leaf limbs, a bit haphazardly, and I don't know if there's a specific trick to making sure I don't murder them entirely.

My questions are a) how do I prune them so they don't die and b) should they get put into a bigger pot?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Grifter posted:

I don't think there's a website that can do this for you, but there is a (kind of) way you can do the outline. It wouldn't work for that particular picture, but if you have a stand-alone item you want to outline try these steps in photoshop or GIMP:

Use the magic wand tool to quickly highlight the object you want to outline.
Copy the object, then paste it on top of itself. Anchor that to a new layer.
Paste the object on top of itself again, and anchor that to a third layer.
Go back to the second layer, and use the scale tool to very slightly expand the size of the object.
White out your second layer. It should now appear as a white background around the object, which is visible as the topmost layer.

If you have an object you want to outline that is behind another object in the picture, you might be able to make it work by finding a similar photo online for the outline. You can get the outline by pasting the lookalike photo onto a new layer above your background image, using "select all" to create a selection box with the same outline, and the selecting your background layer to grab your selection from the main image. Copy that, delete your second layer (The lookalike image) and then follow the steps above. Once you're finished, swipe across layer two with your eraser tool to add hash marks where the object you're outlining is hidden behind another, like the bike in the image has.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Wedemeyer posted:

Looking for plant advice:

I have a couple bamboo plants in a single 6 inch wide [at the mouth] ceramic pot. In all, they reach 2 feet, maye 2 feet and 5 inches high. I think there's about four stems from which leaves sprout from, two large [about one inch width?] and two smaller [about a centimeter width?].

I don't want more bamboos, and I heard putting them into a bigger pot would induce additional growth. But they have been in that pot for maybe 6-8 years and I'd hate for it to start dying of bound roots. I have chopped off some leaf limbs, a bit haphazardly, and I don't know if there's a specific trick to making sure I don't murder them entirely.

My questions are a) how do I prune them so they don't die and b) should they get put into a bigger pot?

I've always been told that bamboo is pretty indestructible and unless you soaked it in gasoline you're unlikely to kill it.

But for a more helpful answer you might try the Plants in General thread over in DIY & Hobbies.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Here's a question, why is ~~the cloud~~ good?

Because, uhhh.... :v:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
"the cloud" as a term is bad, but paying other people to handle servers for your, and having those people failing miserably to do so is something that exists since the 90s

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Wedemeyer posted:

Trimming the roots is probably your best bet for keeping them small. You're right that if you put them in a bigger pot you'll get bigger bamboo.

Just cut the roots down a bit so that they have some more space in the pot, but don't trim any of them off completely.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

In theory, it's hiring experts to do something for you that allows you to take advantage of economies of scale. If you have your own server that you're running your own website on (like, say for some sort of online comedy forum), you have a lot of overhead: a physical server, a server dude, a room for the server to be in, HVAC in the room for the server to be in, backups for the server, etc. That overhead is expensive. The marginal cost of that overhead (i.e. the cost for going from, say, one server to two servers, or ten servers to eleven servers) is very small in comparison. So, "the cloud" is basically a server farm that some company has set up that then rents space to people who want to split the cost of that overhead. It adds in a little more overhead (in the form of a billing department, getting hit with taxes one more time, etc.), but generally, makes it much cheaper and easier to run a service. Additionally, it makes it very easy to scale up or down (just rent more or fewer servers).

As with any big transition, though, there are frequently issues with migration, and those have to be worked through.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

The cloud computing(?) thread in SH/SC was very informative when I was wondering about this too.

My takeaway is that "cloud" stuff means that when, say, 1000 people want to use your service, your servers can scale up automagically to serve those users, but when you have only 10 users, the space in the server is freed up for other services, like, say, Reddit or something. You also don't have to deal with the scaling up software, the maintenance of all that allocation, or other logistics. A company does it for you using a slapped together assortment of technologies that are only held together by redundancy and caffeine and sad people who are good at math.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hopefully simple question. In Word (Or anything that facilitates typing tonnes of notes) I'm looking to set up something that autopopulates the document below based on fields you fill in above.

Specifically, I have 8 pages of portrait notes, with each page divided into two columns. The left column for each page is the bulk of content and the right represents abbreviations of this content for my referral.

What I'm looking to do is take the items from the notes column automatically to a 9th, landscape page so that I can compare these notes with one another easily.

Trivially and at its most basic this can be done with text boxes on every page, but it lacks the auto generations of the final page which would be incredibly helpful.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Contrary to popular belief the cloud isn't actually cheap. The main benefits are instant scalability, redundancy and not having to be responsible for maintaining hardware yourself

Taking into account all overhead of things like buying equipment, replacing dead hardware, electricity, cooling, paying people to manage it, etc you're looking it's about about 1/10th the cost (~$1.2m annual overhead divided by ~600 VMs in my case, obviously these numbers change from person to person) to do it yourself instead of paying a cloud provider.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Contrary to popular belief the cloud isn't actually cheap. The main benefits are instant scalability, redundancy and not having to be responsible for maintaining hardware yourself

Taking into account all overhead of things like buying equipment, replacing dead hardware, electricity, cooling, paying people to manage it, etc you're looking it's about about 1/10th the cost (~$1.2m annual overhead divided by ~600 VMs in my case, obviously these numbers change from person to person) to do it yourself instead of paying a cloud provider.
This is absolutely true when you're running 600 VMs.

I don't know that it's true when you're running 2.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm writing blog posts for our company's website. Right now I am writing one about gender equality in the workplace. Should I reference studies that I refer to in the blog post? Or is "studies have shown companies with a more balanced split of men and women in senior management etc...." sufficient?

Tia :)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

When in doubt, cite your sources. So, say the "Studies have shown..." with a footnote to your source.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 14, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also, as I understand it Amazon's cloud is pretty goddamn busy during peaks like christmastime but probably pretty dead once people use up their gift cards. All that hardware and bandwidth sitting cold is a pretty good resource to sell on the cheap, or not so cheap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bee posted:

I'm writing blog posts for our company's website. Right now I am writing one about gender equality in the workplace. Should I reference studies that I refer to in the blog post? Or is "studies have shown companies with a more balanced split of men and women in senior management etc...." sufficient?

Definitely cite the sources. If you're not quoting anything and just summarising general conclusions then you don't have to, but you'll seem more credible if you can show where you got your information from. You don't need to be all formal about it or anything, you can just say "according to research done by John Smith in 2007, companies with a more balanced split of men and women in senior management etc..." if you don't want to include footnotes. When you just say "studies show" it sounds like you're making it up, or basing it on things you half-remember reading once.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

Tia :)

I would just make a hyperlink to the studies on the word "studies". Everyone knows how to use that, no reason to go full APA or whatever. If you're using multiple studies, just make a research page for each of your articles, hidden from your menus.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Great advice! Thanks goons!

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Can anyone recommend a simple cloud-based CRM recruitment app/service? A cursory google search throws up Workable, Bullhorn, etc. But those seem like overkill for my needs. I don't really need it to be outward facing in any way, or connected to job postings. Just something to help track jobs, candidates, communication with them, etc.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why is thyme not pronounced thigh-mm?

Are homophones common to all languages, and why do they happen at all?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Reposting my problem from the PC building thread since it got overlooked...

El Jeffe posted:

I'm trying to install a new stick of RAM and having this really strange issue.

I unplugged everything, turned off the power supply, and plugged in the 4GB stick. When I plugged everything back in and powered it up, it wouldn't send any signal to the monitor. Then, it shuts itself off after a minute, only to turn itself back on a few seconds later. Repeat. Every few cycles of this it will send a signal to the monitor, just the startup BIOS screen, then it shuts itself off.

Removing the new stick solves the problem. Any ideas?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

El Jeffe posted:

Reposting my problem from the PC building thread since it got overlooked...

Does your new ram have the same clock rate as your old stuff?

Is your new ram the same "DDR" as your old stuff?

Does the motherboard produce a beep code?

Does it boot with only the new stick, without your old stuff?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Methanar posted:

Does your new ram have the same clock rate as your old stuff?

Is your new ram the same "DDR" as your old stuff?

Does the motherboard produce a beep code?

Does it boot with only the new stick, without your old stuff?

Yes, yes, no, yes. But after comparing the specs, they seem to have different voltages. Original is 1.65V and the new one is 1.5V, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I realized today that I don't know much at all about Judaism as it's practised in the modern world, since I've never even lived in a city that had a synagogue in it. I don't know if I've even met a Jewish person. On a scale of 1-10 how good is it compared to other religions? Like if 1 is Scientology, and 3 is Hinduism and Islam and 5 is overall Christianity and 7 is Buddhism and Sikhism.

I don't want to know about their holy texts or what they say they believe in or any of that, I just wanna know about how the religion is actually put into practice in real life. I don't know what people are like in Israel, but also Israel is supposed to be a home for ethnic jewish people, not necessarily the boss of all jews everywhere, I think is the idea?