Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spoken like a true sheeple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
A girl gave you her number. What an amazing event worthy of a meme, and not basic social interaction.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Tracula posted:

Something that always annoys me is when someone describes any mass of people as zombies like they're the special loving snowflake who is above consumer culture or whatever. Me, you and the important narrator are all just loving people too trying to get coffee or shop or whatever else.

The only zombie at Starbucks was me because after 4 hours of working the register I really didn't give a poo poo if you were headed off to class or wanted to tell me Coffee Joke #23456. I forced myself to be a morning person because it let me not have to work overnights, but the morning people are pretty chipper. It's the night people that look like death because they've been awake all day.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rick_Hunter posted:

2 pages ago, Captain.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

two pages ago m8

:cripes: I knew I should have checked before posting.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Troper Tales, home of the non sequiter.

quote:

This troper's father once told her of a time, long before she was born, when he had to take a long commute into town for a job in Dallas, driving a Karmann Ghia. One morning on his way to work, he lost control of the car and went off the edge of the highway, flipping end over end down a steep hill. Once the car came to a stop (fortunately, wheels side down), Dad got out, went over and picked up his windshield (which had fallen out in one piece), and taped it back in. He then proceeded to drive to work as usual, arriving five or ten minutes late. Eventually his coworkers noticed his vehicle's somewhat battered appearance, and asked him what happened. He explained. A little while later, his boss came into his office and gave him a raise.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Khazar-khum posted:

Troper Tales, home of the non sequiter.

What page was this on? Doesn't this have to reference some trope?

jodai has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 10, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Checked back quite a while, don't think I saw these ones posted.

I'd like to think this one is parody, but having read Red Pill I'm inclined to think this was made up in earnest.

edit: OOPSIE

cash crab has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jan 11, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Yep, I believe this one, people will rip each other apart for Amiibo's and will do anything to get them, I even believe the smug "I don't like Fallout, guys!" because it's popular to have that stance in here, just read any of the Fallout threads in Games for a bit. :v:

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

cash crab posted:

Checked back quite a while, don't think I saw these ones posted.

I know I asked this question in the past, but why do these nerds think that people IRL applaud their lovely bon mots? Real life people only cheer and applaud at performances and sporting events, Not at a loving McDonald's.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Judge Tesla posted:

Yep, I believe this one, people will rip each other apart for Amiibo's and will do anything to get them, I even believe the smug "I don't like Fallout, guys!" because it's popular to have that stance in here, just read any of the Fallout threads in Games for a bit. :v:

I'm relentlessly naive so I always assume people wouldn't be so childish that they'd delight in not liking a thing that is popular. Threads like this keep me grounded.

constantIllusion posted:

I know I asked this question in the past, but why do these nerds think that people IRL applaud their lovely bon mots? Real life people only cheer and applaud at performances and sporting events, Not at a loving McDonald's.

My theory is that they assume that 99% of the time, all eyes are on them because they are so important and so interesting that naturally, their lives are like a sitcom and they are the main character. Therefore, in public spaces, instead of concentrating on what they're doing, other people are background characters waiting for this person to say their line.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

constantIllusion posted:

I forgot the exact context but I've basically seen something like described in the story. Nobody actually gave a poo poo or thought the person yelling was a dickhead, rolled their eyes and went about their business.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

One more. Again, sorry if this is a repost. But look, applause!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Your're a good person here is 100$ I could of given to that homeless dude you gave a quarter to

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

no parry, didnt happen

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lord Chumley posted:

no parry, didnt happen

This story made me physically ill. Also, big of a loser do you have to be to make a brony the villain of your made up story?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I enjoy the overly descriptive writing, mixed with first grade writing skills that STDH stories generally have. We get stuff like "he hissed smugly" followed up with "the last time I heard she leaved him" in the same story.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Lord Chumley posted:

no parry, didnt happen

Is Ryu/Rufus a good matchup for Ryu? Fat brony mighta been able to take that dude

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Je suis fatigue posted:

Is Ryu/Rufus a good matchup for Ryu? Fat brony mighta been able to take that dude

as long as the brony doesn't build meter for EX messiah ryu's got this

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Cash Crab I love you.

Also stdh.txt : Me : -in total shock- or Mom : -rolls eyes shaking her head-

There's just something about putting stage directions in the dialogue that I find pretty hilarious.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

constantIllusion posted:

It's like the chalk outline around a murder victim only happening in movies and tv shows. These people read stories in which someone gets applause and figure that's how you're supposed to write them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rick_Hunter posted:

2 pages ago, Captain.

...FOR THE HORDE

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fathis Munk posted:

Cash Crab I love you.

There's just something about putting stage directions in the dialogue that I find pretty hilarious.

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: and the ENTIRE thread applauded

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

cash crab posted:

One more. Again, sorry if this is a repost. But look, applause!

I think what bothers me about these stupid tumblr screenshots is the need of the poster to insert themselves saying "yo go girl" or some poo poo at the bottom. It's like a constant demotivational loop.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Fathis Munk posted:

Cash Crab I love you.

:3: I helped

Gridlocked posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah, I like that one too :D

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

sharktamer posted:

I think what bothers me about these stupid tumblr screenshots is the need of the poster to insert themselves saying "yo go girl" or some poo poo at the bottom. It's like a constant demotivational loop.

Seriously. Most jokes end at the punchline, and comic strips tend to end on the panel WITH the punchline. Adding more words just distracts the reader because they think there's a second, better joke coming, but there isn't, and it just deflates and completely undercuts the previous one.

I think they need to add their little parting shot to show that they are cool and funny like the person who actually made the joke, see they thought it was funny too, that's almost as good as making the joke itself, right?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lol, this is really good. It could be real, just with the wrong conclusion reached.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The thing is he stopped listening right then instead of when she said "I don't know......maybe for all the bad reasons?"

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
"I don't know ... who this is - how did you get my number?"

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

bobjr posted:

The thing is he stopped listening right then instead of when she said "I don't know......maybe for all the bad reasons?"

That's what I thought. I'm sure there are plenty of stories that sound great as long as you cut them off at the right point.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A vague presumption of what human interaction looks like + what tumblr primes me to be offended about + a desperate need for approval = this stdh

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

jodai posted:

What page was this on? Doesn't this have to reference some trope?

Crowning Moment of Awesome. Which is where this was lurking:

quote:

This troper is a direct descendant of at least three confirmed geniuses (two math-and-science, one humanities, all three with combat training), with the possibility of a fourth and fifth in the form of her grandmothers, one of whom is simultaneously the living embodiment of Crowning Moment Of Heartwarming, and someone who constantly gives visitors things in her home that they admire as part of a massive Manipulative Bastard scheme to get other people to clear out her house for her. The other used to do the books for the Mob in Detroit before going on to start her own cookie company. This example, however, does not concern either of them, but rather this troper's grandfather.
One time, when my dad was little, his father took him along on a trip to the local mechanic to get their tires rotated. When they came back from lunch to pick up the car and pay, my grandfather took one look at the car and said, "Oh... you did it wrong." "Oh, no, sir," the young man replied, "We comply with all automotive safety protocols in accordance with the regulations set down by the (vehicular/highway governing body where we live)." "No," Grandpa replied, "You obviously don't, because you rotated those tires incorrectly." Cue the rolling of eyes and the condescending tone of voice with which any non-computer expert who's ever had to buy a computer should be familiar (proof that THAT trope is Older Than Pac Man), as the guy launched into a long explanation. Grandpa listened patiently, shook his head, and repeated, "You did it wrong." So the mechanic became irritated, and basically told him he was free to take his car elsewhere if he wanted, but not before he was paid. My grandfather sighed, nodded, and took out his wallet. After writing up the cheque he paused, and held it up for the mechanic to see. "Have you ever seen my signature before?" "...No." "Do you have a copy of (automotive standards book) on hand?" "Of course." The mechanic pulled it out from under the counter and handed it over. Flipping it open to the first page and signed notice of approval, Grandpa held it up next to the cheque. "You did it wrong," said my grandfather, Chief Engineer for highway safety in the employ of the provincial government.
Oh, and in her younger days, my mother once wailed on the latest of a long line of guys grabbing her rear end in the mess, then declared to everyone in the vacinity, "Don't loving touch me; I manage your pay slips." So to summarize, my family can beat up your family.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Every time I think it can't get worse, things like this appear and brighten my day.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

The mechanic story could have at least been entertaining if he cut the rest of the crap and made the language believable.

It would still be STDH, but at least I would have enjoyed it.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

HEY EVERYONE!! My parents once did things of mild interest (possibly)!

Also, wouldn't it have been easier for Grandpa to just tell the mechanic what he thinks he did wrong instead of being a smug prick about it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But the Internet told me that being a smug prick all the time to everyone is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Can someone with a sexy voice do a dramatic reading of some of these things?

• Locked thread