Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I would welcome a WOTC death thread to go with the GW death thread. :getin:

We're not quite there yet

But soon :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You can just go ahead and post about WotC in the GW death thread. More than half the posts are about the The Force Awakens or Gunpla anyway.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In MTGO Mirrodin draft, when you cast Grab the Reigns for it's second option the first prompt you are given is "Select target creature:"

Not "creature or player." Just "Creature." Once you select the thing you thought it was asking to sacrifice you are then prompted to sacrifice. You cannot undo from this situation.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 12, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In MTGO Mirrodin draft, when you cast Grab the Reigns for it's second option the first prompt you are given is "Select target creature:"

Not "creature or player." Just "Creature." Once you select the thing you thought it was asking to sacrifice you are then prompted to sacrifice. You cannot undo from this situation.

Was it the phyrexian influence that changed Mirrodin's goblins into gerbils?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they're going to be so cartoonishly evil why aren't they abolishing the reserved list and personally burning the stocks of the cardboard illuminati while laughing at their tears yet

This is like saying "Well, if the Republican Party wants to be so cartoonishly evil, why aren't they instituting full communism"

Unless I misinterpret you and you're just wondering why they can't get their master troll kicks in a way that helps the game, in which case never mind.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

This is the relevant text from the follow-up email they sent me:

Hello Edward,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. As we discussed we received information concerning some questionable or undesirable activity that occurred at your store. We understand many of these issues stem from misconceptions or miscommunications and I have summarized what we discussed below.

• Magic events (sanctioned and unsanctioned) can only allow genuine Magic: The Gathering cards.
• Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments pursuant to the official tournament rules. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear.
• Counterfeit cards are copies or reproductions of actual Wizards trading cards, whether or not they are identified as non-genuine. The creation and distribution of counterfeits violate United States and international copyright laws and negatively affects the integrity of Wizards’ trading card games. Counterfeits are strictly prohibited, even for personal, non-commercial use.

They're worried about counterfeits printed to look like real Magic cards. This is because they're cracking down on Chinese counterfeiters selling "proxies" (wink wink, no seriously, don't use these as anything but proxies, wink wink). I don't think writing "Black Lotus" with permanent marker on a Darksteel Relic is really what they're worried about. It wouldn't surprise me if this store was allowing players to use Chinese "proxies" in tournaments and someone went 0-2-drop, got pissed off, and reported the store out of spite. It happens a lot. I always warn store owners not to do stupid poo poo, because all it takes is one disgruntled player to report you and you'll lose your next prerelease.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

They're worried about counterfeits printed to look like real Magic cards. This is because they're cracking down on Chinese counterfeiters selling "proxies" (wink wink, no seriously, don't use these as anything but proxies, wink wink). I don't think writing "Black Lotus" with permanent marker on a Darksteel Relic is really what they're worried about. It wouldn't surprise me if this store was allowing players to use Chinese "proxies" in tournaments and someone went 0-2-drop, got pissed off, and reported the store out of spite. It happens a lot. I always warn store owners not to do stupid poo poo, because all it takes is one disgruntled player to report you and you'll lose your next prerelease.

The quoted exchange seems to establish "proxies" as one particular thing and only that particular thing, and that definition doesn't include a sharpied Darksteel Relic (unless a judge does the sharpieing in his or her official capacity, I guess). I agree that calling a sharpie job a "counterfeit" seems like a stretch, but they've established that it isn't a "proxy" so what exactly is it?

Also, even if sharpie-ing an Island is still kosher, making a halfway decent looking cube proxy for yourself with a printer would clearly make you a doubleplusungood criminal, which seems like a customer-unfriendly attitude to me but maybe I'm way off base here :iamafag:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

This is like saying "Well, if the Republican Party wants to be so cartoonishly evil, why aren't they instituting full communism"

Unless I misinterpret you and you're just wondering why they can't get their master troll kicks in a way that helps the game, in which case never mind.

Yeah it's the latter

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If I win this 1.4 billion dollar lottery I'm going to buy a quarter of Hasbro with it and start stirring poo poo about awful WotC policies. Wish me luck goons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Shortest Path posted:

If I win this 1.4 billion dollar lottery I'm going to buy a quarter of Hasbro with it and start stirring poo poo about awful WotC policies. Wish me luck goons.

Have you considered starting up your own company instead and through years of effort become a rival to Hasbro and Asmodee and become the new king of games?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Too many people aren't playing standard, maybe they'll come back if we tell them they can't play legacy and vintage

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I don't understand why WOTC is mad at people abusing their IP for profit.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

born on a buy you posted:

I'll sell you an island with "FORCE OF WILL" sharpied on it for :20bux:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

This is the relevant text from the follow-up email they sent me:

Hello Edward,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. As we discussed we received information concerning some questionable or undesirable activity that occurred at your store. We understand many of these issues stem from misconceptions or miscommunications and I have summarized what we discussed below.

• Magic events (sanctioned and unsanctioned) can only allow genuine Magic: The Gathering cards.
• Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments pursuant to the official tournament rules. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear.
• Counterfeit cards are copies or reproductions of actual Wizards trading cards, whether or not they are identified as non-genuine. The creation and distribution of counterfeits violate United States and international copyright laws and negatively affects the integrity of Wizards’ trading card games. Counterfeits are strictly prohibited, even for personal, non-commercial use.

So Vintage is no longer a format then?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

So Vintage is no longer a format then?

Vintage is a format, but you can't play it with a swamp with BLACK LOTUS sharpied on it anymore. You need to play it with something indistinguishable to the naked eye to a real Black Lotus.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions about whether this change will help or hurt chinese counterfeiters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

People would buy the loving cards if they could, but some are close to impossible to get or are too expensive to be reasonable for any sane person to pick up. 15 card proxy tournaments encourage people to acquire the cheaper cards for the decks, which are often just big standard role-players that had some swing outside of the format, rather than the out of print, old cards that don't make Wizards any money through stores opening boxes to sell cards and people buying packs hoping to crack them. Unless they're making those cards readily available then what they've done is little more than a colossal dick move that has questionable impact on their bottom line and just hurts people that are probably trying those formats because they don't loving want to play standard in the first place.

I guess the logical response there is they're a company that's free to do whatever the gently caress they want with their IP and the availability of their product, but I guess by the same token I'm free to not give a poo poo about that/hope it bites them in the rear end.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Has there been any word in changes in WotC upper management in the last year or so? They've been unusually :commissar: in the last 6-12 months than in the past.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

People would buy the loving cards if they could, but some are close to impossible to get or are too expensive to be reasonable for any sane person to pick up. 15 card proxy tournaments encourage people to acquire the cheaper cards for the decks, which are often just big standard role-players that had some swing outside of the format, rather than the out of print, old cards that don't make Wizards any money through stores opening boxes to sell cards and people buying packs hoping to crack them. Unless they're making those cards readily available then what they've done is little more than a colossal dick move that has questionable impact on their bottom line and just hurts people that are probably trying those formats because they don't loving want to play standard in the first place.

I guess the logical response there is they're a company that's free to do whatever the gently caress they want with their IP and the availability of their product, but I guess by the same token I'm free to not give a poo poo about that/hope it bites them in the rear end.

This is exactly it. They aren't really helping themselves in any way and they're hurting stores and punishing people who can't afford older more expensive cards. I started buying into legacy a year ago because of our proxy tournaments- I realized I really enjoyed a particular deck and slowly started picking up pieces so I could actually own it, and being able to play it in the meantime kept me incintivized to keep buying pieces and practicing so that maybe I can play at a sanctioned event when I finished. It also gave some of the lower income people like part-time workers and students a reason to be in the shop and have fun playing magic, which they don't seem to realize has a positive long-term effect on their product.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Soooooooooooo do we have any confirmation beyond something a single store said?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well, my uncle works for Hasbro and he just called me to confirm it.

Also, the next Planeswalker cards are going to be scratch and sniff.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is exactly it. They aren't really helping themselves in any way and they're hurting stores and punishing people who can't afford older more expensive cards. I started buying into legacy a year ago because of our proxy tournaments- I realized I really enjoyed a particular deck and slowly started picking up pieces so I could actually own it, and being able to play it in the meantime kept me incintivized to keep buying pieces and practicing so that maybe I can play at a sanctioned event when I finished. It also gave some of the lower income people like part-time workers and students a reason to be in the shop and have fun playing magic, which they don't seem to realize has a positive long-term effect on their product.

I keep trying to convince my local store of this. A lot more people would play and buy into vintage if they could actually get into the format in the first place with a few proxies. Nobody is going to buy power to play in a format that they don't even know if they like, and there's not a lot of reason to play a deck without power in vintage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

odiv posted:

Mark Rosewater makes offhand comment about grape scent, queue endless debate on MTGSalvation about whether that means the next planeswalker will be a new sixth color or just Izzet.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I would have used the chinese counterfeits in my friends cube if I knew they where actually good quality.

poo poo, I probably could use them still. sure beats buying a playset of beta lands.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

odiv posted:

Cool, so I'm just going to hang tight and see if my local LGS has anything more to say on the matter.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It probably all is a lot of hypothetical situations and the reality may be that it makes no difference, I just don't like the idea of my local shop owners getting punished. The shop I frequent the most is run by some good people who push a lot of different formats and do what they can to encourage people branching into different formats, and go so far as proxying up decks for people that want to play in unsanctioned events. I'd hate for them to be scared away from doing any more casual events as a result. Hopefully it'll be another one of those things that gets forgotten in a week.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

One time we ran my cube as a sanctioned event.

My cube has proxies. Please don't ban me Wotc! I'll narc on anyone you want. :ohdear:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

suicidesteve posted:

One time we ran my cube as a sanctioned event.

My cube has proxies. Please don't ban me Wotc! I'll narc on anyone you want. :ohdear:

I wouldn't do that. Based on previous precedent, narcing will get you banned.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Have you considered starting up your own company instead and through years of effort become a rival to Hasbro and Asmodee and become the new king of games?

insert Hex joke here

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

Mark Rosewater makes offhand comment about grape scent, queue endless debate on MTGSalvation about whether that means the next planeswalker will be a new sixth seventh color or just Izzet.

FTFY

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Telex posted:

insert Hex joke here

drat I forgot about that. :( and asmodee's a tough contender too.

odiv posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but what smell will Jace TMS be?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but what smell will Jace TMS be?

axe

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat. I was hoping it was anime. Maybe Chandra's anime?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Chill la Chill posted:

drat. I was hoping it was anime. Maybe Chandra's anime?

Chandra is Axe for men.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Until WOTC announces something official or calls your store specifically, Id honestly say just keep running poo poo as is. gently caress them, make them create an official 'we hate players' policy if they want to stop proxy NON SANCTIONED events. Forget their lovely intimidation tactic bullshit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Isn't that the plot of some part of Yu-Gi-Oh or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Until WOTC announces something official or calls your store specifically, Id honestly say just keep running poo poo as is. gently caress them, make them create an official 'we hate players' policy if they want to stop proxy NON SANCTIONED events. Forget their lovely intimidation tactic bullshit.

Its already in their WPN agreement.

Apparently my friend who lives in the middle of nowhere attends a LGS that has already been through this already. They held legacy with proxies and their feuding/competing store across town turned them in. Supposedly they were threatened with losing out on the battle of zen pre-release events as well as being suspended if they continued.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Doesn't Vintage always allow proxies because the format is an unplayable money game without them?

Nope. There are very few sanctioned vintage events because proxies are not allowed except at a judges discretion at official DCI sanctioned events. The truth is proxied events happen all the time, how does WOTC know what stores do. I know a lot of stores will allow proxies right after a standard rotation then taper it off 15 week 1, 10 week 2, 5 week 3 etc. I'm sure some vintage events get sanctioned that shouldn't because of proxies, but if you got to Eternal Weekend in Philly for example, the vintage event is no proxies, because it is an official sanctioned event.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My LGS just put up an announcement that due to the WOTC policy, they are no longer allowing proxies for their monthly legacy "duel for the duals" event. I won't be surprised to see a 20-40 person event trickle down to 6-8 people in 2 months when they cancel it for being unprofitable.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

My LGS just put up an announcement that due to the WOTC policy, they are no longer allowing proxies for their monthly legacy "duel for the duals" event. I won't be surprised to see a 20-40 person event trickle down to 6-8 people in 2 months when they cancel it for being unprofitable.

That is unfortunate. I wonder if this is a shift in policy, to actually enforce it or if this is a case of someone ratted on the store for some reason and WOTC felt they couldn't ignore it. This isn't a new rule, proxies have always been disallowed in sanctioned events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm wondering if people are spreading that Facebook post around a lot and scaring stores or if WOTC has been sending out messages about this and/or following up more on reports of proxies.

• Locked thread