Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

JcDent posted:

So, uh, what's you time zone? I'll start reading the start kit with some hope

Accept the drat Steam invite

Haha, invite accepted! I was too busy clipping counters last night and didn't open Steam at all.

I'm in UTC-5 (EST, but I'm happy to play/teach ASL whenever we can make it work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

COOL CORN posted:

Haha, invite accepted! I was too busy clipping counters last night and didn't open Steam at all.

I'm in UTC-5 (EST, but I'm happy to play/teach ASL whenever we can make it work!

7 hours behind, eh? Looks like I'll have to dedicate an evening or two!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished up my game table. A dining room table that has a hidden game table underneath so that I can leave things set up for weeks at a time. Pretty proud of it since it's the first piece of furniture I've ever built!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Guys, if you don't want to miss out on the c3i edition 29, you need to order it through Amazon. No P500 for the magazine this time. I just ordered it myself, and I think it is a must-have if you love EotS since it has Plan Orange.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

COOL CORN posted:

Finally finished up my game table. A dining room table that has a hidden game table underneath so that I can leave things set up for weeks at a time. Pretty proud of it since it's the first piece of furniture I've ever built!

That looks really professional, nice job!

A friend of mine has one she must have paid a few grand for and I don't think it's substantially better than the one you built--I guess it has some changeable drink holders on it, but that's irrelevant.

Could have used something like that for the Duel of Ages game that went from 6 PM to 1 AM on Saturday...would be nice to have a "pause" button for longer games.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

COOL CORN posted:

This is great. I live in an apt and been trying to figure out how to do this with no garage or workspace. I could go to like goodwills and find tables I can mod or maybe there is like some craftspace available.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Guys, if you don't want to miss out on the c3i edition 29, you need to order it through Amazon. No P500 for the magazine this time. I just ordered it myself, and I think it is a must-have if you love EotS since it has Plan Orange.

Note they messed up categorizing it so it doesn't ship to Canada and other countries right now. The fix is waiting on amazon and should happen anywhere from now to the next 2 days.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I just ordered it and it was fine in selecting shipping to the UK, unless my order is cancelled at some point in the future.

EDIT: Yep, it should work, because it is labeled as a book now, which was the intended fix.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

So GMT isn't going to sell c3i from their site anymore?

And amazon won't ship it to Canada.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

rchandra posted:

So GMT isn't going to sell c3i from their site anymore?

And amazon won't ship it to Canada.

Yeah this is the new shipping method. According to the publisher on ComsimWorld it should be up on amazon.ca in a day or two. Anyone outside of Canada should be able to use amazon.com now.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

drat this is very nice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kind nerds, should I get Tabletop Simulator on Steam? It's on sale via Bundle Stars.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Not really, Vassal has a better interface for pretty much everything

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
So I have about 4 proper games of Fire in the Lake under my belt and I'm wondering what makes playing the NVA interesting and not super boring?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Actually constantly attacking the south rather than getting stuck in a build up -> massive attack -> bombed to hell cycle.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Not really, Vassal has a better interface for pretty much everything

I've seen vassal interface and now I'm scared.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The problem with tabletop simulator and wargames is stacking. Surprisingly, stacking dozens of counters with a physics enabled platform is not easy.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, but how are you going to flip the table after the Nazis take Moscow?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
They need to make a physics-enabled counter clipping simulator. Like that gun disassembly game thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

There's an LP thread using Tabletop Sim if you want to see what the interface is and how the physics interact.

You can "lock" certain things so that they don't cause chaos with the counters and their physics so its not terrible... unless its stacks of counters which would probably go crazy and never stay in one pile. I can't imagine moving/selecting stacks or stacks within stacks would be fun.

The "game" as a whole is really only worth it if its on sale and you have some friends to play whatever's on the workshop.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

JcDent posted:

It's literally 100% just:
- Dragging stuff around until it looks nice
- Right clicking counters for a drop-down menu to flip them or something
- Sometimes clicking a button to roll dice or open a second screen for dragging stuff around

It's about as hard as using WordPad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You forgot double clicking to open stacks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

The problem with tabletop simulator and wargames is stacking. Surprisingly, stacking dozens of counters with a physics enabled platform is not easy.

This also applies to real life

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Invest in tweezers

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got The Hunters for $15 hell yeah.

If I like it I might pick up Silent Victory - I really like the light narrative style solitaire games for when I don't feel like burning my brain.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Found a geeklist on BGG that has some of the worst wargame maps ever published and, uh

:stare:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

what the gently caress

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

That last one looks like a homebrew 18xx map.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm looking to try out Washington's War. I'm available EST evenings. Hit me up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A dude on /hwg/ share his friends ASL counter storage:

Peak ASL, eh?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JcDent posted:

A dude on /hwg/ share his friends ASL counter storage:

Peak ASL, eh?

Ah yes. Oliver Gray, king among ASL men. This dude has at least 2 copies of everything ASL related that has ever come out. He must be related to some Saudi prince or something to afford it all. Hell just one of those boxes is like $20. That's like... $500 just in storage boxes.

edit -- what is /hwg/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Peak ASL, eh?
There's still open space on that table. Pussy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

edit -- what is /hwg/

A perpetually restarted thread on 4chan's /tg/ board where people talk about wargames and and historical happenings.

If I'm posting something, it's probably from there, because I only visit a few threads on SA and /hwg/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ilor posted:

There's still open space on that table. Pussy.

That's just the ASL vehicles. He literally has 21 other cases full of infantry and support weapons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JcDent posted:

A perpetually restarted thread on 4chan's /tg/ board where people talk about wargames and and historical happenings.

If I'm posting something, it's probably from there, because I only visit a few threads on SA and /hwg/

I know very little about 4chan, to be honest. Will I get fired for going to /tg/ or /hwg/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

I know very little about 4chan, to be honest. Will I get fired for going to /tg/ or /hwg/

Yes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Never, ever, go to 4chan. I'm completely serious.

I guess if I want an ugly, horribly designed, web forum to talk about wargames, I can just go to ConSimWorld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Never, ever, go to 4chan. I'm completely serious.

Not never. It can be hard to find examples of some extremely specific meme-related fetishes anywhere else.