Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I liked goten as a kid because he was like kid goku that could go super saiyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

then gt happened

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
If only lil Goku wasn't overshadowed by his dad figuring out that he can simply teleport out of the afterlife!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I never liked Goten because he is the laziest character design I've ever seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goten is weird because for all intents and purposes he is an absurdly powerful character. Young Gohan was considered exceptional when his ragefits hit a few thousand and Goten is going Super Saiyan as a toddler but I guess he doesn't count as having immense hidden potential or something.

He's the crap son.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Super saiyan is a power multiplier so if he wasn't very strong he still might night have had the power of mad gohan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Super saiyan is a power multiplier so if he wasn't very strong he still might night have had the power of mad gohan.

At least Android 18 seemed to consider him and Trunks a threat when they were fighting her so they're presumably at least they're somewhere above SSJ Vegeta's level at that time considering how effortlessly Android 18 trumped him

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gohan's bursts of rage made him, for a second, equal to or more powerful than the current bad guy at the time. Goten eclipses where Gohan was at his age, but he's still pretty weak compared to everyone else by then.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly forget- Gohan fighting Freeza in his final form, was that just Anime Filler or did that happen in the Manga.

Because if it wasn't just filler, yeah, Gohan could go toe to toe with goddamn Freeza, even if Freeza wasn't exactly taking it TOO seriously.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

I honestly forget- Gohan fighting Freeza in his final form, was that just Anime Filler or did that happen in the Manga.

Because if it wasn't just filler, yeah, Gohan could go toe to toe with goddamn Freeza, even if Freeza wasn't exactly taking it TOO seriously.

It was filler, but among the filler that made it into Kai, for how much that matters.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Monaghan posted:

I never liked Goten because he is the laziest character design I've ever seen.

I kinda liked the mid-length sleeve variant of the Turtle School gi, but other than that, yeah, he's Kid Goku.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kid Goku was chubbier but in GT and Path to Power he's just like Goten so I guess it's just art progression.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Petiso posted:

Kid Goku was chubbier but in GT and Path to Power he's just like Goten so I guess it's just art progression.

Well Kiddified Goku is the swolest child.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darth TNT posted:

I like that Goten barely exists. Trunks has a story and parents that care. Goten is ignored for Gohan or just needed for Gotenks.

I thought Goten's whole deal was that Goku and Chi-Chi were trying to give him a normal-ish childhood after all the poo poo Gohan ended up going through. Am I off-base?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I thought Goten's whole deal was that Goku and Chi-Chi were trying to give him a normal-ish childhood after all the poo poo Gohan ended up going through. Am I off-base?

Goku was dead for literally all of Goten's childhood. Chi-Chi apparently was willing to train him in martial arts unlike Gohan who she tried to keep studious.

I don't think they ever explained it but I guess when your husband is murdered by an evil bug monster and your son almost dies to it you decide that knowing how to defend yourself is a lot more important.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not that it mattered becausen the only threat in Goten's life was Majin Buu who he never actually fought unfused.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i could probably beat the poo poo out of goten

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is it just me or is the animation been cheap as hell recently. It just looks off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Goku was dead for literally all of Goten's childhood. Chi-Chi apparently was willing to train him in martial arts unlike Gohan who she tried to keep studious.

I don't think they ever explained it but I guess when your husband is murdered by an evil bug monster and your son almost dies to it you decide that knowing how to defend yourself is a lot more important.

It's also good to make your son look exactly like your dead husband who stayed dead because people hated him so much they wanted to destroy the universe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked goten and his interactions with kid trunks. they were fun and their fight in the kid's tournament was good

but yea goten is pretty much useless outside of being half of gotenks, who is also useless outside of stalling buu for a while :v:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is it just me or is the animation been cheap as hell recently. It just looks off.

Why would you do this? Why would you start this again?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

At least Android 18 seemed to consider him and Trunks a threat when they were fighting her so they're presumably at least they're somewhere above SSJ Vegeta's level at that time considering how effortlessly Android 18 trumped him

Was that fight in the manga? Thought it was filler.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

18 vs goten and trunks is in the manga as well

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Super seems to imply that Chi-chi's whole attitude is sort of how she and Goku get off and she doesn't seem to mind fighting as long as he isn't around to see it. I guess you develop certain behaviors when your husband is super-fighting happy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I assume since Gohan missed so many years of his studies because of his training, she pushed him extra hard to catch up, while Goten has been going to school for years. She doesn't really mind if they fight, as long as they have a life out of that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't know, but I don't even remember it being mentioned that Chi-Chi trained him. I only remember him throwing rocks at Gohan and fusing with Trunks to become a real boy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goten mentions it the first time he goes super saiyan in front of gohan. apparently chichi was training him and he went super saiyan because she was kicking his rear end. she told him not to do it again

that might be anime filler tho, I don't remember

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Manatee Cannon posted:

goten mentions it the first time he goes super saiyan in front of gohan. apparently chichi was training him and he went super saiyan because she was kicking his rear end. she told him not to do it again

that might be anime filler tho, I don't remember

This comes up a lot.. He spars with Chi-Chi and happens to go Super Saiyan, but I honestly don't think that was intended to be viewed as the first time. I think he and Trunks figured it out together since Trunks knew how to do it in the chamber with Vegeta.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

Super seems to imply that Chi-chi's whole attitude is sort of how she and Goku get off and she doesn't seem to mind fighting as long as he isn't around to see it. I guess you develop certain behaviors when your husband is super-fighting happy.

I just think Chi-Chi got all her tiger mom out with gohan, you're always way less strict on the second kid.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Elfgames posted:

I just think Chi-Chi got all her tiger mom out with gohan, you're always way less strict on the second kid.
She got her super successful scholar son who's married to a pretty, well-respected and overall fantastic wife, who also happens to be the Strongest In The Universe (kinda, not really). Goten can afford to be a fuckup.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Elfgames posted:

It goes back to Chi-Chi's old fashioned-ness. Gohan's the first born and must be the Successful One. Now that he is Goten can do whatever.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
chi chi is the worst part of this show by a mile

let's just keep having the same scene over and over where she acts like a super annoying hyper japanese old woman and everyone pretends to be scared out of deference or whatever then immediately does exactly the opposite of whatever she was complaining about and then she pretends she scored some kind of victory to convince herself she isn't entirely irrelevant

also if gohan never gets his poo poo together she is basically to blame for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

let's just keep having the same scene over and over where she acts like a super annoying hyper japanese old woman and everyone pretends to be scared out of deference or whatever then immediately does exactly the opposite of whatever she was complaining about and then she pretends she scored some kind of victory to convince herself she isn't entirely irrelevant

Gohan has his poo poo together in every way that isn't fighting space monsters and is still in the top percentage of space monster fighters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

This comes up a lot.. He spars with Chi-Chi and happens to go Super Saiyan, but I honestly don't think that was intended to be viewed as the first time. I think he and Trunks figured it out together since Trunks knew how to do it in the chamber with Vegeta.

isn't it brought up specifically in reference to gohan asking goten when he learned how to go super saiyan though? I feel like dbz heavily implies that that was the first time or else the scene is pointless

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

A-ni-me fillerrrrrrr

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's still canon

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

It's still canon

Despite Toriyama's involvement, some of the stuff in Super does have an "anime filler" feel to it, like Goten and Trunks fighting the snake. (OK, they were probably holding back a lot, but it's still hard to resist joking about random wildlife being Freeza level.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

random wildlife being Freeza level

After playing the Legacy of Goku series, I can believe it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

WickedHate posted:

After playing the Legacy of Goku series, I can believe it.

Those loving boars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I do think Toei deserves a bit more credit for some of their "filler" in the Dragon Ball franchise, beyond stuff like the driving episode of DBZ or whatever.

For example, Goku struggling to turn Super Saiyan for the first time? Probably the most iconic thing in the franchise? Most of that scene is technically "filler". In the manga it takes Goku about two panels to transform, and is kind of lame and anticlimactic as a result.

• Locked thread