Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: Because of an error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

gently caress you Remote Desktop. gently caress you Cisco VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Not pissing me off: I got a promotion from servertech/NOC dude to Systems Engineer!

Pissing me off: The effective date was Dec. 1st, 2015, and I'm performing both roles at some capacity until mid Feb, possibly later. Just let me transition and focus on my quarterly goals. I have goals now and get bonuses for those! I get nothing for working in the NOC. Eurgh.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Kirios posted:

Are you trying to trigger me because the answer yes of course he does. Why is it so simple? gently caress if he knows, but it is!

There's no fixing that, either just decide to put up with it or move jobs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
:yotj: I just accepted an internal offer from what I was doing -- hard to explain, but low level technically -- to a network infrastructure role. Healthy bump in both responsibility and pay, I'll be working with people I'm friendly with, and hopefully I'll learn a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

"We want to use Outlook for our department wide project tracking."

What? No. Don't use Outlook for anything other than email.

"Alright what about Sharepoint. Can we buy Sharepoint? We want to keep out todo lists somewhere."

Go away.

Oh man, this gets better. I got a helpdesk request asking to 'automate daily task list backups in Outlook'. I told them I wasn't going to do it.

quote:

Hi Bob,

We have been using the Outlook task list for a couple weeks now and it is working very well for us. However, I understand your concern with possibly losing some of the information. This is why I feel that GUY's solution to automatically back up to excel daily would be great.

Could you shed some more light on why this would not work, or maybe is not the best solution so I can better understand it. Also, about how long would it take you to implement the coding that Guy suggested?

Thank you for your help.

Owner's Son
Department Manager

"Hey you know that thing you told us not to do because you had all these reasons? We did it anyway and need some backup hacked up for it! lol can you do it tomorrow?"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

Oh man, this gets better. I got a helpdesk request asking to 'automate daily task list backups in Outlook'. I told them I wasn't going to do it.

"Hey you know that thing you told us not to do because you had all these reasons? We did it anyway and need some backup hacked up for it! lol can you do it tomorrow?"

https://www.onenote.com/

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could do something in powershell to grab tasks from outlook and export them to a CSV

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Danith posted:

If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could do something in powershell to grab tasks from outlook and export them to a CSV

No, a VBA macro in an excel worksheet that is triggered by a receptionist logging out for the night is the only practical solution.

mewse
May 2, 2006

baquerd posted:

No, a VBA macro in an excel worksheet that is triggered by a receptionist logging out for the night is the only practical solution.

Well what if she doesn't log out? Write some additional code to force a daily logout.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Surely all of the stuff in Outlook will be on the Exchange which is being backed up anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Varkk posted:

Surely all of the stuff in Outlook will be on the Exchange which is being backed up anyway.

It is, but I warned them if we change/upgrade versions of Exchange we may lose features (hosted) and a backup might not be as granular as they want (restoring the entire mailbox instead of just tasks. or certain tasks. etc)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
enter.vbs is the only solution guys.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Pissing me off: Need to make a guest wifi to help alleviate some issues with the DHCP scope at a client site. Previous company we took over for left zero documentation, like you do. So I'm crawling around and climbing over and under things for an hour until I find the fucker. It's a Netgear. Sure whatever, at least it's managed. Grab the IP go the log in, creds aren't default. Ask another guy who on-boarded this client and he has no idea. Is it really that hard to hand over or even KEEP proper documentation configs? FFS guys. I will likely now have to wait until the CEO and Accounting leave for the night so I can power down and factory reset the drat thing. Not a good start to my week here lads.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jowj posted:

Not pissing me off: I got a promotion from servertech/NOC dude to Systems Engineer!

Pissing me off: The effective date was Dec. 1st, 2015, and I'm performing both roles at some capacity until mid Feb, possibly later. Just let me transition and focus on my quarterly goals. I have goals now and get bonuses for those! I get nothing for working in the NOC. Eurgh.

You have $newrole which has goals and bonuses, and $oldrole which has no goals and no bonuses and they want you to do both?

The solution is easy. Focus on $newrole and kick the crap out of your goals, get bonuses. Let $oldrole fall to the floor. Or maybe spend some of your time on $oldrole if you are feeling magnanimous and the work doesn't conflict with your success at $newrole.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Get on it.

code:
Add-Type -AssemblyName "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook"
$ol = New-Object -ComObject Outlook.Application
$ns = $ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")

$tasks = $ns.GetDefaultFolder([Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlDefaultFolders]::olFolderTasks).Items
$tasks | select ConversationTopic,Body,StartDate | write-csv -path "\\server\tasks\backup.csv"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nielsm posted:

Get on it.

code:
Add-Type -AssemblyName "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook"
$ol = New-Object -ComObject Outlook.Application
$ns = $ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")

$tasks = $ns.GetDefaultFolder([Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlDefaultFolders]::olFolderTasks).Items
$tasks | select ConversationTopic,Body,StartDate | write-csv -path "\\server\tasks\backup.csv"

Better to use Get-MailboxFolder on the server and make the backups there than to depend on a scheduled task on the client.

Even better to tell them to gently caress off and use Project for this. Or whatever other project management tool they'd like to use that isn't Outlook.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Because of an error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

gently caress you Remote Desktop. gently caress you Cisco VPN.

So, for anyone who ever runs into this problem, the best solution is to stop using Cisco VPN Client (because it's out of support) and use ShrewSoft. Import your PCF files and bam, problems fixed.

Seriously, what the hell Cisco.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Migishu posted:

So, for anyone who ever runs into this problem, the best solution is to stop using Cisco VPN Client (because it's out of support) and use ShrewSoft. Import your PCF files and bam, problems fixed.

Seriously, what the hell Cisco.

Cisco ended support for the old VPN client on 2014-07-29 and they gave 3 years notice to switch to the AnyConnect client instead. I think this is more the fault of whoever gave you the old client to use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Better to use Get-MailboxFolder on the server and make the backups there than to depend on a scheduled task on the client.

Even better to tell them to gently caress off and use Project for this. Or whatever other project management tool they'd like to use that isn't Outlook.

Can Exchange export Task items to CSV files? Didn't think so.
Really dumb requirements spec that will cause endless trouble if implemented as-is, and they won't budge on it. Hand them the shovel to dig their own grave and get blamed for it, or refuse to implement it and get canned? Bob Morales sure has great options.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I'm getting pretty good at RCA when someone charts in our clinical app as someone else.

For the love of HIPAA I should not be doing this at all you lawsuit honeypots.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nielsm posted:

Can Exchange export Task items to CSV files? Didn't think so.
Really dumb requirements spec that will cause endless trouble if implemented as-is, and they won't budge on it. Hand them the shovel to dig their own grave and get blamed for it, or refuse to implement it and get canned? Bob Morales sure has great options.

Ha, I just checked and you can't even use that cmdlet for this purpose. But hey, you could always just export the Tasks to a PST! :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What happens to a scheduled task if your laptop is turned off? :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Owner of the company graciously gave the useless AS/400 fucker his old iPhone 4. Motherfucker has a pre-paid flip phone right now. It's hilarious because once we say "HEY YOUR PHONE IS RINGING, ANSWER IT!", he takes his glasses out of the case and opens the phone, only to to find out they hung up after the 9th ring. So then he says "Missed call? hrmmm" and then proceeds to push buttons on the phone for 5 minutes and then proclaims "I wonder who it was?"

You make 60k a year, don't have a house payment or a car payment and you can't get a phone with a dataplan? You were the IT manager for this company for 5 years. Numbskull. (Hey, maybe the company should pay for phones for IT staff since they are basically on call 24/7? Nahhh)

Anyway back to the iPhone. He had to get the owner's iCloud password so he could reset the phone. I told him TWO HOURS ago to go ask the owner for the password so he could unlock. Instead of simply handing the phone to the owner and having him type it in, AS/400 guy comes down with a post it note. Written on it was Aldin1932 or something like that. He puts his glasses on and reads me the password.

I think Alden is the owner's full name or his dad's name or something. He has other passwords like that. But it's Alden with an 'e' not Aldin with an 'i'

So I'm typing the password in and 400-tard is like "no it's an i". I said it's a name and he uses it for other passwords, it's an 'e'. No it's an 'i' 400-tard keeps arguing with me. So I typed it in. Beep bad password. Then I said I told you it's an 'e'! typed it in and it takes it.

Now he can't set his email up on the iPhone because he doesn't know his own password. So he locks his Exchange account. The he proceeds to lock out his loving Rackspace account. loving moron. I have to log in, unlock both of his accounts. Now his Outlook is frozen up. So he sits there clicking around for ten minutes "The start menu stopped working" before he just powers the loving thing off.

OH MY loving GOD THIS IS THE DUMBEST MAN ALIVE

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is there a trash compactor at your place of business? If so, I think you need his help investigating some problem inside of it...

edit: Tell him the update CDs accidentally got thrown in and he'll need to go in to get them out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Owner of the company graciously gave the useless AS/400 fucker his old iPhone 4. Motherfucker has a pre-paid flip phone right now. It's hilarious because once we say "HEY YOUR PHONE IS RINGING, ANSWER IT!", he takes his glasses out of the case and opens the phone, only to to find out they hung up after the 9th ring. So then he says "Missed call? hrmmm" and then proceeds to push buttons on the phone for 5 minutes and then proclaims "I wonder who it was?"

You make 60k a year, don't have a house payment or a car payment and you can't get a phone with a dataplan? You were the IT manager for this company for 5 years. Numbskull. (Hey, maybe the company should pay for phones for IT staff since they are basically on call 24/7? Nahhh)

Anyway back to the iPhone. He had to get the owner's iCloud password so he could reset the phone. I told him TWO HOURS ago to go ask the owner for the password so he could unlock. Instead of simply handing the phone to the owner and having him type it in, AS/400 guy comes down with a post it note. Written on it was Aldin1932 or something like that. He puts his glasses on and reads me the password.

I think Alden is the owner's full name or his dad's name or something. He has other passwords like that. But it's Alden with an 'e' not Aldin with an 'i'

So I'm typing the password in and 400-tard is like "no it's an i". I said it's a name and he uses it for other passwords, it's an 'e'. No it's an 'i' 400-tard keeps arguing with me. So I typed it in. Beep bad password. Then I said I told you it's an 'e'! typed it in and it takes it.

Now he can't set his email up on the iPhone because he doesn't know his own password. So he locks his Exchange account. The he proceeds to lock out his loving Rackspace account. loving moron. I have to log in, unlock both of his accounts. Now his Outlook is frozen up. So he sits there clicking around for ten minutes "The start menu stopped working" before he just powers the loving thing off.

I like this guy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wolrah posted:

Is there a trash compactor at your place of business? If so, I think you need his help investigating some problem inside of it...
He lives in Flint, MI - I was hoping the water would have killed him by now.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Scikar posted:

Cisco ended support for the old VPN client on 2014-07-29 and they gave 3 years notice to switch to the AnyConnect client instead. I think this is more the fault of whoever gave you the old client to use.

Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have 6 different companies we VPN to, and 5 of them have profiles in CiscoVPN. We do have 1 with AnyConnect, but AnyConnect doesn't present an option to import or create other connection entries, which makes me think it's even more worthless than the old, defunct, client.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Migishu posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have 6 different companies we VPN to, and 5 of them have profiles in CiscoVPN. We do have 1 with AnyConnect, but AnyConnect doesn't present an option to import or create other connection entries, which makes me think it's even more worthless than the old, defunct, client.

Yeah, seconding ShrewSoft for this. It also doesn't have the problem the Cisco client used to have (at least when I used it), which was that you could only VPN to one connection at a time. Shrewsoft is fine with connecting multiple connections at once, which basically increased my "productivity" tenfold. I used to have to run VMs on my machine :gonk: to have separate instances of the Cisco client so I could do things at multiple places.

Also the Cisco client remains the only piece of software in modern times where I could reliably bluescreen a Windows 7 or 8 computer (click Disconnect, and before it's finished disconnecting doubleclick another connection to start trying to connect - so goddamn annoying). This was version 5.0.7.290 or something, so maybe in the one or two later updates they released they fixed it, but at any rate, it's just not worth the hassle. Especially with the workarounds to get it working on Windows 8 and 10.

Edit: I'm a moron, you were the original person who said to use Shrewsoft.Well MY POINT STILL STANDS SHUT UP.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bob Morales posted:

I feel bad for him a little, honestly. My HS gf's dad was like 70 and was trying to find jobs as an EE. Except he had done nothing to stay relevant or keep his knowledge up, and between that and age discrimination he never did find a job to support his family. His wife had to support them as a school teacher... in one of the lowest paying states in the U.S. for teacher salary.

Ever since then, I've been paranoid and worried that I would end up like that when I was 60-70 so I've always tried to stay on the cutting edge of my profession, which gets harder all the time... Someday we could all be reading-glasses-prepaid-flip-phone guy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Someday we could all be reading-glasses-prepaid-flip-phone guy.

God I hope so

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Someday we could all be reading-glasses-prepaid-flip-phone guy.

Crap, I have a flip phone and I just bought reading glasses.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone done any digital signage implementations for corporate communications? We're looking to get rid of our lovely video extender system and just run an android stick pc behind each tv, running an app connecting to a cloud solution. Way less maintenance and far easier for HR/marketing/etc to update with a web UI.

Problem is, there's a million loving apps/saas providers out there, and they pretty much all look/act the same. I've been demoing a few today just to play around with them, and it's all starting to blur together. If you deal with a system like that, what do you use and what do you like/dislike about it?

Currently liking RevelDigital but it's a bit overkill; MangoSigns design/management gui is easy but it doesn't have a lot of content options/dynamic sourcing. They're all the same really and that's what's pissing me off.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Cisco VPN and shrewsoft are for IPSEC vpns. You need to configure a nice SSL VPN and switch to anyconnect. It owns bones.

I fought with shrewsoft for months but now those connection problems and annoying error messages are a distant memory

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Has anyone done any digital signage implementations for corporate communications? We're looking to get rid of our lovely video extender system and just run an android stick pc behind each tv, running an app connecting to a cloud solution. Way less maintenance and far easier for HR/marketing/etc to update with a web UI.

Problem is, there's a million loving apps/saas providers out there, and they pretty much all look/act the same. I've been demoing a few today just to play around with them, and it's all starting to blur together. If you deal with a system like that, what do you use and what do you like/dislike about it?

Currently liking RevelDigital but it's a bit overkill; MangoSigns design/management gui is easy but it doesn't have a lot of content options/dynamic sourcing. They're all the same really and that's what's pissing me off.

Farm it out to your web designers and just point a stickPC thingy some some internal address.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off, work today, everything is awful today, my rear end is pretty literally on fire.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Mother fucker.

An exec today is having the biggest hissy fit I have ever experienced.

:) We need to perform a full backup of your laptop. This could take a full evening the first time. Every day after should only be a few minutes.
:argh: How long exactly?
:( I am not sure, there isn't a way to know for sure and the software won't give me an estimate.
:argh: Just tell me how long.
:( Again, I don't know how long.
:argh: Are you telling me its impossible to know how long it will take?
:( I am not saying its impossible, I am saying I can't reasonably know.
:argh: We need to have a meeting about this.

*Proceeds to have half hour meeting about the mystery of how long this backup will take with 3 other execs, my boss, myself, and the poor desktop person who was assigned the ticket.

I would normally guess in this situation but this prick would hold us to a guess like it was a promise, so from now on he doesn't get estimates. He is literally the only person in this company with this attitude.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sickening posted:

Mother fucker.

:) We need to perform a full backup of your laptop. This could take a full evening the first time. Every day after should only be a few minutes.
:( I am not sure, there isn't a way to know for sure and the software won't give me an estimate.

*Proceeds to have half hour meeting about the mystery of how long this backup will take with 3 other execs, my boss, myself, and the poor desktop person who was assigned the ticket.

I would normally guess in this situation but this prick would hold us to a guess like it was a promise, so from now on he doesn't get estimates. He is literally the only person in this company with this attitude.

Should have just given him a 2x crazy number. When he then wants to hold a meeting because 2xC is too high, agree to look at optimizing to C, and then he'll be happy because he improved the backup process by 100%.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pay a salesperson $120,000 salary? Sure.
Buy them a $2,500 Lenovo laptop+dock that they'll destroy? Sure.
Pay $5/month for online backup? BOB THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY

mewse
May 2, 2006

Half hour meeting x 5 people = 2.5 hrs wasted time because he demands clairvoyance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sickening posted:

Mother fucker.

Next time tell him it backs up data at a x gigs/hour rate, with x being how much data he has. You don't tell him how much data he has by the way. You just give him the rate and leave it at that. You're not giving him an exact time, but you are telling him how long it will take.