Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So I was playing with the idea of a risk-like wrap-around for an x-wing campaign, and typed up some ideas, using the board from the star wars risk game. I'm envisioning this played online, using Vassal to handle the battles, though I wonder if maybe this would be too much a slog to be practical.

Here's the rules I came up with:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15W8IGRDD272m36ttkK9sXs7sBjfjeoJai8sYQGGZp6Y/edit?usp=sharing

I didn't do anything with the cards mechanic from risk, but I don't think it's really necessary for this and can be left out.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My fiance and I are looking for a new game to play and we're interested in this. 1 core set should be enough for us to see if we like it correct? And then a second is recommended?

Also I'm coming from MTG what's the most affinity like squadron?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

KidDynamite posted:

My fiance and I are looking for a new game to play and we're interested in this. 1 core set should be enough for us to see if we like it correct? And then a second is recommended?

Probably a TIE swarm.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yep, with a core set you can play I think a game that's around 60 points IIRC, and can get a pretty good feel for the game. After that, really there's a lot of possibilities.

I don't know about cost-reduction perse abilities, but if you like white weenie, I'd heavily advise TIE fighters. Get the FA core set which comes with two FOs and either some regular or FO expansions. The tie interceptors are pretty cool with swarms too, I'd recomend the Imperial Aces with comes with some pretty rad pilots and two specially painted interceptors.

For the rebels side, maybe A wings with the Chardaan refit, or flying Z-95 headhunters, but I'm more used to doing imp swarms.

E: ^^Darn it Adman. :P

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Madurai posted:

Critical Hits will destroy small ships, regardless of the amount of Hull they have remaining.

When I use Vader to crush Miranda's K-Wing like a Soda can, is the resulting damage to my ship also dealt face up?

KidDynamite posted:

I've been out of Magic for a while, but looking at "Affinity" deck lists this seems like you're going for a low-cost high synergy thing? TIE swarm, probably.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Otisburg posted:

When I use Vader to crush Miranda's K-Wing like a Soda can, is the resulting damage to my ship also dealt face up?

Yes.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

AndyElusive posted:

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Raider even though I've played exactly zero epic games. The box is huge and since I'm on vacation I haven't opened it yet. I'm just curious if the Raider is able to be used as terrain in 100pt games like other epic ships and what are the rules for using it or other epics as such?

While not tournament legal to do, you simply flip the baseplate on your raider upside down, so that only the starfield side is face up, and you elect to place it on the map as an obstacle rather than your usual three obstacles. Your opponent places his three obstacles as normal, following the usual rules for obstacle placement.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Then you just treat it like a huge asteroid in respects to collisions/overlaps?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

It's sort of an asteroid and ship at the same time.

If you land on it, you stop moving like you would if you bumped a ship, but you lose your action and roll for damage just like an asteroid.

You can fly over it like you can another ship, but it still acts like an asteroid

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's a really cool idea. Deviant bring your raider Wednesday.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

No, you use the rules for overlapping a huge ship, found in the rulebook for the raider.

E: At least, that's the rules for the Assault carrier use an obstacle, it doesn't say to do anything when you just fly over it in the Assault Carrier rulebook.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 12, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the answers! I'll let you guys know how it goes! I'm p excite.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Vader crew? No, your ship takes 2 regular and you deal a crit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pbpancho posted:

Vader crew? No, your ship takes 2 regular and you deal a crit.

They're talking about the high lethality rules posted upthread.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can see where those would be useful house rules to implement if you were trying to speed up an epic game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Can Poe Dameron use Esege Tuketu's focus token to trigger his ability when attacking?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Can Poe Dameron use Esege Tuketu's focus token to trigger his ability when attacking?

My gut says no, since his ability explicitly says that he must have the focus token.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I played two games with poe, wedge and a stress bot.

Wedge 1 hit an interceptor in my first games second turn.

He's now my lover.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Rules question: Can bombs be deployed on top of obstacles?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Strobe posted:

My gut says no, since his ability explicitly says that he must have the focus token.

Poe can use Esege's focus. He treats it as his own.

Tacopocalypse posted:

Rules question: Can bombs be deployed on top of obstacles?

Yes.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
How does "Stay on Target" interact with Ello Asty's rule? If I use "Stay on Target" to rotate his dial from any 3 Speed maneuver to one of his 3-Speed Tallon Rolls, do I treat it like a Red maneuver (Like "Stay on Target" says to) or treat it like a white maneuver like Ello's rules say to?

E: NM, found it:

Q: If two or more game effects that change the difficulty of a
maneuver conflict, which effect takes priority?

A: An effect that increases the difficulty of a maneuver takes priority over an
effect that decreases the difficulty. For example, if a ship equipped with
R2 Astromech is dealt the Damaged Engine Damage card, all of the ship’s
turn maneuvers are treated as red maneuvers, including the 1-speed and
2-speed turn maneuvers.

Tequila Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 12, 2016

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Thought so. Thanks!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I picked up those new ultra pro 16 pocket mini card binder sheets and they are pretty great. I grouped bombs/missiles/torps together on a single page (which could accurately be called "cards I never use")

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

If gonk is crew and offers bonus shields....and is not scum only, put on Miranda?

If not scum only, I want to put it on the B-Wing. Mostly for the mental image of a big, fat droid-box strapped into the co-pilot's seat going "GONK :byodood:" while the pilot is trying not to get them killed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

I picked up those new ultra pro 16 pocket mini card binder sheets and they are pretty great. I grouped bombs/missiles/torps together on a single page (which could accurately be called "cards I never use")

https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=211
Depicted:
28 points well spent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know when the mini American deck boxes are supposed to come out?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

canyoneer posted:

Where did you find them

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alg posted:

Where did you find them

At my local game store of all places. Desert Sky Games and Comics, but I don't think they sell online right now

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

That's probably better than what I was going to try, but I really wanted to try out Latts

LATTS'S SCUM FLEET

99 points

PILOTS

Binayre Pirate (12) x 2

Latts Razzi (47)
YV-666 (33), Bossk (2), Gunner (5), Weapons Engineer (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Black Sun Ace (28)
Kihraxz Fighter (23), Deadeye (1), Ion Pulse Missiles (3), Munitions Failsafe (1)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/388287/lattss-scum-fleet

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/388287

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/388287

I tired this in a few games last night and it worked pretty well. Bossk and Weapons Engineer gives you the Target Lock's to use Latts Razzi's ability which was situational but good. The Black Sun Ace never really did that much other than bringing 3 red dice so him might get swapped out for something else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a really cool idea. Deviant bring your raider Wednesday.

Why not the Tantive? or the Gozanti? Or the many other evidences that I hate money.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

canyoneer posted:

At my local game store of all places. Desert Sky Games and Comics, but I don't think they sell online right now

Kewl. My FLGS keeps saying their distributor doesn't have them yet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aramoro posted:

I tired this in a few games last night and it worked pretty well. Bossk and Weapons Engineer gives you the Target Lock's to use Latts Razzi's ability which was situational but good. The Black Sun Ace never really did that much other than bringing 3 red dice so him might get swapped out for something else.

Two more Binayre Pirates and XX-23 S-Thread Tracers for each :getin:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Otisburg posted:

https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=211
Depicted:
28 points well spent.

Meaningless derail, but Christ almighty do the comments on that video drive me nuts, even though I'm pretty insulated from normal youtube fare. I mean it's a pretty sweet video, but the amount of nerds cheering on an overwhelming space fascist fleet pounding on a bunch of transports is unsettling as hell.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Meaningless derail, but Christ almighty do the comments on that video drive me nuts, even though I'm pretty insulated from normal youtube fare. I mean it's a pretty sweet video, but the amount of nerds cheering on an overwhelming space fascist fleet pounding on a bunch of transports is unsettling as hell.

To be fair, the transports were clearly asking for it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Iceclaw posted:

I know that the Empire is completely awful, but TIE Fighters are just so cool :negative:

Disney, you need to release a new Star Wars space combat game right now, I need it so bad.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know that the Empire is completely awful, but TIE Fighters are just so cool :negative:

Disney, you need to release a new Star Wars space combat game right now, I need it so bad.

Bad news, Disney won't be releasing anything like that. If it happens, it comes from the black depths of EA.

But Tie Fighter was the better game between X-wing and Tie Fighter. X-wing Alliance is the best in the series, of course.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Iceclaw posted:

It's weird too because aside from the Empire clearly being the bad guys in the movies, if this was a Gundam series or some other 80s space war anime this scene would be used to establish the blond commander guy as the villain and the 3 pilots as aces who will be a major thorn in the heroes' side until they're finally defeated in full-episode dogfights.

I guess the TIE Fighter games did too good of a job of not making you feel terrible for being an Imperial pilot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Finster Dexter posted:

Bad news, Disney won't be releasing anything like that. If it happens, it comes from the black depths of EA.

But Tie Fighter was the better game between X-wing and Tie Fighter. X-wing Alliance is the best in the series, of course.

I don't care who releases it, I just want to get shot out of the sky repeatedly because I'm a horrible overaggressive pilot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Foo fighters is the nickname for the new ties. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

How many do you have and can you send me some?

• Locked thread