Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can just get a HP or higher watt KA if you're worried about bread doughs in a home setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just get a pro model kitchenaid, they're the same as the commercial model. Don't get an Artisan.

mewbert
Jun 12, 2011
hatsuune miku wishes you

a happy and safe halloween

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just get a pro model kitchenaid, they're the same as the commercial model. Don't get an Artisan.

Seconding this, the pro lines have better motors & last longer than the artisans.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is a stand mixer necessary if all I'm making is pizza dough? Those prices in the OP are a little steep for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah, but you're gonna get a good forearm workout without one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I make my pizza dough in a food processor.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Processor works very well for pizza dough. I only use my mixer since I do 3kg batches.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Bron is a pretty cleverly designed machine safety wise, but is extremely terrifying if you don't spend some time getting to know what the designers had in mind. The manual is not a lot of help.

Oh by the way I found it at bed bath and beyond for $150. After a 20% off coupon it was $120 subtotal

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 12, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't stand how loud the Bron is. It's why I got rid of mine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the current goon consensus on stand mixers? The only one that gets advertised to me are kitchenaid, but popularity isn't always a sign of value or quality.

I like my kenwood major. My mom likes her Kenwood too, bought in the 70s, still going.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like my kenwood major. My mom likes her Kenwood too, bought in the 70s, still going.

I always feel like the "bought it X years ago, still going strong" reviews are somewhat worthless, because most companies cheap out on manufacturing expenses nowadays (at least compared to the iron workhorses they made decades ago). Just my two cents.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

1redflag posted:

I always feel like the "bought it X years ago, still going strong" reviews are somewhat worthless, because most companies cheap out on manufacturing expenses nowadays (at least compared to the iron workhorses they made decades ago). Just my two cents.

Yeah exactly. The Kitchenaide my mom bought to replace her 30 year old one wasn't nearly as well made as the one she replaced, and they were the exact same model.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't stand how loud the Bron is. It's why I got rid of mine.

You got a new mandoline because it was too loud? :wtc:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

You got a new mandoline because it was too loud? :wtc:

More or less. I mean I didn't seek out a new mandolin because it was loud, but when I had the chance to purchase something different I jumped at it because of that.

Cooking is how I relax. It is a peaceful endeavor. The clanging of the Bron mandolin is not compatible with that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Flash Gordon Ramsay comes from a family of mimes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1redflag posted:

Yeah it's true, but at least they gotta fall a long way to get real shoddy and Kenwood's still got a good reputation as workhorses, I did a lot of researching before I bought mine and the impression I got then was it's a vastly more capable machine than a Kitchen Aid for the same amount of money.

FWIW I bought mine in 2010 so at least 6 years I got out of it and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere yet. I don't think they managed to dumb down construction too much during the last 6 years. If it breaks I suppose I will start the same approach to kitchen tools as I have to woodworking tools, buy old rear end quality stuff, because it works and is cheap. In that case I've often seen old made in sweden Electrolux Assistents being sold here. I was quite close to buying one of those instead, but it was a bit overoptimized for bread kneading and I wanted something more versatile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$199 for a refurbished Kitchenaid 6 quart Pro lift bowl today on Woot. That is a really good price.

http://www.woot.com

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

$199 for a refurbished Kitchenaid 6 quart Pro lift bowl today on Woot. That is a really good price.

The refurb 5qt tilt-head artisan was on ebay a little while ago for $179. This seems like a much better buy.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Welp, there went 200 dollars. Thanks for the heads up, been wanting one for a while.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I got myself some ceramic pots as part of this set (which I managed to get for only £30, complete steal). I've tried using them a few times, but they're incredibly slow. I thought maybe it had something to do with them not working so well with the induction hob, but have I maybe just been misunderstanding how ceramic pots work? Do they naturally take longer to heat up and is it that I just shouldn't expect such an immediate furious reaction?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sharktamer posted:

I got myself some ceramic pots as part of this set (which I managed to get for only £30, complete steal). I've tried using them a few times, but they're incredibly slow. I thought maybe it had something to do with them not working so well with the induction hob, but have I maybe just been misunderstanding how ceramic pots work? Do they naturally take longer to heat up and is it that I just shouldn't expect such an immediate furious reaction?

They're made of aluminum, induction won't work worth poo poo for them, you need a ferrous metal, i.e. iron or steel.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

sharktamer posted:

No, you're misunderstanding how induction works. As AVLR mentions, you need a ferrous metal, since it's basically a rapidly reversing magnetic field. If what you're putting on it isn't affected by magnetic fields, it won't heat up. That's why the hob itself is cool to the touch, despite heating ferrous metals quite quickly.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Oh I understand how induction works, that just never occurred to me cos I'm an idiot. So yeah, the base of the pan is heating up which heats up the ceramic in turn I guess? So it's obviously going to heat up slowly, would that be the problem?

e: I made an incredibly goony video indicating the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadKJ6mVdrU

I think the second pan may actually have problems with the induction since it seems to engage on and off constantly, whereas the third one at least keeps a "connection".

Anyway, I think I just need to return the new (red) pot I bought and get myself a good quality fully metal one. I just liked the idea of having something nice and non-stick and easy to clean, but maybe I'll just have to compromise.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 13, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sharktamer posted:

Oh I understand how induction works, that just never occurred to me cos I'm an idiot. So yeah, the base of the pan is heating up which heats up the ceramic in turn I guess? So it's obviously going to heat up slowly, would that be the problem?

e: I made an incredibly goony video indicating the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadKJ6mVdrU

I think the second pan may actually have problems with the induction since it seems to engage on and off constantly, whereas the third one at least keeps a "connection".

Anyway, I think I just need to return the new (red) pot I bought and get myself a good quality fully metal one. I just liked the idea of having something nice and non-stick and easy to clean, but maybe I'll just have to compromise.

The ceramic part does not really matter, it's the metal the cookware is made of, the fry pan in the video must have some steel somewhere in its base, the first pot also has steel in the bottom, the second pot which does not boil the water at all must be 100% aluminum. Another thing that matters for induction is good contact with the cooking surface because magnetic fields drop off in strength so rapidly with distance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You could always get something like this

VonShef Induction Hob Heat Diffuser Stainless Steel with Heat Proof Handle Available in Two Sizes (9.25") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZXK4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_xcDLwbNJGFFEH

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The ceramic part does not really matter, it's the metal the cookware is made of, the fry pan in the video must have some steel somewhere in its base, the first pot also has steel in the bottom, the second pot which does not boil the water at all must be 100% aluminum. Another thing that matters for induction is good contact with the cooking surface because magnetic fields drop off in strength so rapidly with distance.

That would make sense but the second pot and the frying pan are from the same set. I'll need to contact the manufacturer and find out.

BraveUlysses posted:

VonShef Induction Hob Heat Diffuser Stainless Steel with Heat Proof Handle Available in Two Sizes (9.25") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZXK4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_xcDLwbNJGFFEH

That could work, but I'll probably just return the new pot (the red one) and give the two smaller pots from the sorted set to my mum, since I like the other two that it came with and they're such good value. I'll just get myself some basic steel pots that will work with this hob.

Thanks!

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a whistling tea kettle because the plastic flip lid thing on my current kettle snapped off and the whistle fell out. I wired the whistle back in place but now it doesn't sit right and can't whistle anymore :qq:

I hopped on to Amazon to find another kettle of the same/similar model, but the one that most resembles mine apparently has rust problems (all the cheap ones have lots of reviewers reporting either rust problems or off-gassing/plastic coating-leeching problems) and a wimpy whistle, which is a dealbreaker. My old kettle screeched like a loving banshee and I could hear it from all the way in the back of my exceedingly long apartment unit full of sound-blocking plaster walls, and for a while, was the most effective alarm clock I've ever had (early morning, roommate would put it on for still-sleeping me and leave the house).

Do you guys have any particular recommendations for/experience with tea kettle models with known loud whistles that won't rust out after three weeks? Every time I think I've found a nice model I'll read the reviews and folks will say it doesn't whistle very well/at all. I have a feeling I'm the weird one for going out of my way to find the loudest, most obnoxious kettle.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
an aroma electric kettle and an alarm clock

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, but that sort of defeats the whole point of an induction cooker in the first place. Now you've got this big lump of hot metal that will burn you if you touch it and only changes its thermal output gradually, so you've turned your induction cooker into a regular electric hot plate.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Does anyone think this Pantelligent thing that's been getting some press has any merit to it? https://www.pantelligent.com/

I mean they're using this image as a way to sell people on it, ostensibly:

If I were served any one of those steaks at a restaurant, I'd have the waiter send it back.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DARPA Dad posted:

Does anyone think this Pantelligent thing that's been getting some press has any merit to it? https://www.pantelligent.com/
Using a fry pan to cook a slab of protein is approximately the easiest loving thing you can learn to do in the kitchen, and having a thermal sensor and timer isn't going to help you with any more advanced techniques (like arroser or whatever).

If I was starting from zero and had US$200 to spend on one fry pan, I'd get a loving All-Clad MC2 or something and learn to cook, and I'd end up with enough left over to buy a really good bottle of mezcal which I could down in one sitting and still put together a better looking steak than the ones in those beauty shots.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

SubG posted:

Using a fry pan to cook a slab of protein is approximately the easiest loving thing you can learn to do in the kitchen, and having a thermal sensor and timer isn't going to help you with any more advanced techniques (like arroser or whatever).

If I was starting from zero and had US$200 to spend on one fry pan, I'd get a loving All-Clad MC2 or something and learn to cook, and I'd end up with enough left over to buy a really good bottle of mezcal which I could down in one sitting and still put together a better looking steak than the ones in those beauty shots.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. But I'm wondering if there isn't a market for the lazy 20-something who just got their first apartment. Then again, if you're that lazy, an Anova and a cast iron pan seem like better buys for the same amount of money.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could see why some people who know nothing about cooking and are terrified of setting their steak on fire would want a robot pan that told them when their food was done. It's like having training wheels on your bike to make sure your bike doesn't tip over or wearing water wings to make sure you don't drown.

Not that I'd recommend it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DARPA Dad posted:

If I were served any one of those steaks at a restaurant, I'd have the waiter send it back.

it's funny, because I stared at all 3 of those steaks and was like christ none of these look like they've been cooked well, then scrolled down to your comment about sending them back. good show, correct decision. never heard of this thing, not clicking the link. voted 5.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
If you're really frightened of loving up a steak and want to throw money at the problem, a cast iron + thermapen would help you out way more than the Robot Bad Steak Maker 3000.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey but I also want to watch tv while I'm making a steak. A thermapen won't beep at me when my steak is done

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

mindphlux posted:

an aroma electric kettle and an alarm clock

I thought about an electric kettle (I have one similar to the Aroma at work and it's good and way faster than the stove top kettle), but it would take up counter space (current kettle just lives on the stove), and it doesn't beep/ring loud enough, and I'm too addlebrained and forgetful to set an alarm every time I want a tea refill. Then again, it'll turn itself off once it hits boiling so nothing bad will happen if it boils and I don't hear it go off.

DARPA Dad posted:

I saw this thing, along with a bunch of other terrible app-powered things, on TechCrunch a while back and thought it was complete bullshit and a waste of money. Seems to me that all the time spent dicking around on the associated app could be better spent becoming familiar with figuring out how to determine doneness by touch or just sticking a probe thermometer in whatever you're cooking ($15 and you can set it to go off when desired temp is reached). Also if something inside that pan breaks or gets damaged, there's no way to fix it. A cast iron skillet doesn't have any delicate expensive circuitry in it to get hosed up.

Besides, whenever I cook steak it's on a charcoal grill in the dark of night with no outdoor lighting, so it didn't take me too long to learn how to gauge doneness by touch. You don't need to be some grillmaster savant to do it, just minimal practice and experience.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Authentic You posted:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a whistling tea kettle because the plastic flip lid thing on my current kettle snapped off and the whistle fell out. I wired the whistle back in place but now it doesn't sit right and can't whistle anymore :qq:

I hopped on to Amazon to find another kettle of the same/similar model, but the one that most resembles mine apparently has rust problems (all the cheap ones have lots of reviewers reporting either rust problems or off-gassing/plastic coating-leeching problems) and a wimpy whistle, which is a dealbreaker. My old kettle screeched like a loving banshee and I could hear it from all the way in the back of my exceedingly long apartment unit full of sound-blocking plaster walls, and for a while, was the most effective alarm clock I've ever had (early morning, roommate would put it on for still-sleeping me and leave the house).

Do you guys have any particular recommendations for/experience with tea kettle models with known loud whistles that won't rust out after three weeks? Every time I think I've found a nice model I'll read the reviews and folks will say it doesn't whistle very well/at all. I have a feeling I'm the weird one for going out of my way to find the loudest, most obnoxious kettle.

I'm looking for the same thing. I had an enamelled, whistling tea kettle with a rubberized silicone handle that I really liked -- wouldn't burn myself on the handle, etc. -- but the enamel is coming off so I need a new one (and I suppose a different brand with better enamel).

Anyone have suggestions? I just want a stovetop kettle, not an electric one. Basically, a whistling teakettle, made of metal, with an enamel coating and a non-conductive handle.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DARPA Dad posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely. But I'm wondering if there isn't a market for the lazy 20-something who just got their first apartment. Then again, if you're that lazy, an Anova and a cast iron pan seem like better buys for the same amount of money.

Seconding this. Holy gently caress that pantelligent thing is 200 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Swing-A-Way can opener has rusted to death and is now 100% useless. What's a good manual replacement?