Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

nexus6 posted:

Lifehack: House getting too dirty? Just buy a new one!

Pffft! Too much effort! The real lifehack is just get used to living in filth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Karate Bastard posted:

I know you think you are joking but people actually do this poo poo in practice, bringing "bombs" in and "secret documents" out past security, even in venues that have been bombed before.

E: lifehack: trick someone into employing you as a social engineering expert even though you don't have the necessary skills!

Social engineer: the only self-certifiable trade!

You're forgetting homeopathy and contact healing! :pseudo:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh boy I found a top hack of 2015 on my facebook wall. Turn a lotion bottles in cumbersome cellphone charging station that constantly use electricity! And use the left over greasy Pringles can to hold cotton pads to rub on your face. And much much more! And you better believe all these hacks take forever to make.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1727998934097387&id=1630195383877743

(Sorry it seems to only be a facebook video)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Shwqa posted:

Oh boy I found a top hack of 2015 on my facebook wall. Turn a lotion bottles in cumbersome cellphone charging station that constantly use electricity! And use the left over greasy Pringles can to hold cotton pads to rub on your face. And much much more! And you better believe all these hacks take forever to make.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1727998934097387&id=1630195383877743

(Sorry it seems to only be a facebook video)

If a charger is constantly drawing electricity, your device is broken. But yeah, those are all stupid bullshit hacks.

E: make a pet bed for your kid in your RV!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Jan 12, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scathach posted:

If a charger is constantly drawing electricity, your device is broken. But yeah, those are all stupid bullshit hacks.

I'd be very happy if they could make a horizontal bed for RVs and stuff that you could safely strap into and sleep in, so you'd still be protected in case of a crash.

Mostly because when I'm not driving on road trips, I like to sleep through the boring stuff.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

Little Orphan Apple sounds catchier, but I've never seen an apple flavored ice pop.

I don't know how many people here have had an Otter Pop in the last few years but I guess at some point they changed their recipe. They now use apple juice as the base for all the flavors, so every single flavor ends up tasting like cheap apple juice. The generic ice pops are much better.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, Fla-Vor-Ice is the brand you want to look for. They usually come in way too big of boxes, but with lots of flavors and all good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khl99ajvVvA

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scathach posted:

PVC frame furniture is my lifehack weakspot and how I can sort of empathize with the square peg round hole mentality of lifehacks because my dad got a book 20 or 30 years ago about how to make PVC framed furniture. And suddenly there's a need for PVC furniture everywhere and why would you ever buy a folding table from Wal Mart, wait, chinese labor means they are probably cheaper anyway :smith:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
why the gently caress did I just watch a guy use a leafblower on snow? That's not a lifehack, that's common sense.

Lifehack is when I turned my leaf mulcher upside down, put on a hopper, and used it to blow salt all over the driveway, sidewalk, and frozen roof, without leaving my lawnchair.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

LIFEHACK: For more absorbent towels, DON'T use fabric softener on them. It works by entering the gaps in fabric.

(No, really. I am serious.)

I just don't use softener because I absolutely do not care about my towels being soft. Everything else seems soft enough as well :shrug:

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

Life Hacks for Dogs?

More: http://imgur.com/gallery/G8Hmlzn

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Coprophagia in dogs isn't normal or healthy behavior, and is usually caused by the terrible owners :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"When it's thundering outside, here's a tip: Hide under a table or bed and bark a bunch. This is 100% guaranteed to scare the thunder away. (estimate time for thunder to go away: 1 minute-8 hours)"

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just don't use softener because I absolutely do not care about my towels being soft. Everything else seems soft enough as well :shrug:

Should we just throw towels away when they stop being soft? I don't mean "this no longer feels like a fluffy cloud being draped around my body by tiny cherubs", but "it's so stiff and dry that it almost feels like a slightly conditioned hedgehog pelt, and it's not very absorbent either". I doubt fabric softener would help in the latter case anyway, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Should we just throw towels away when they stop being soft?

Huh? I throw my towels away when they get too thread-bare to effectively dry my naked sexy body. I have a terrycloth towel I remember having as a kid (because my grandma would spread it out on the floor for me to nap on) 30-33 years ago and apart from one darned small tear it works fine despite not being soft :shrug: It's not exactly rocket surgery: do your clothes get wet when you get dressed after a shower? If the answer is yes, your towel is not working.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ask me about towels and towel accessories.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I would like to know more about towel accessories.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Towel accessory lifehack: Tangle your cords around a towel rack. They are now less cluttered, because anything forged by the hands of man + cables is an instant cable wrangler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1dqg1ZN50

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I know you would :smugmrgw:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
If you use fabric softener on your towels you damage the absorbent properties of towels, because the softener ends up where the water would go or something. Just don't do it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Should we just throw towels away when they stop being soft? I don't mean "this no longer feels like a fluffy cloud being draped around my body by tiny cherubs", but "it's so stiff and dry that it almost feels like a slightly conditioned hedgehog pelt, and it's not very absorbent either". I doubt fabric softener would help in the latter case anyway, though.

If anything towels should get softer as they age. All those fuzzy broken fibers.

Do you have really hard water? It's possible you're getting some kind of mineral build up, I guess? Vinegar in the rinse cycle may help. Note: this is a household tip, not a lifehack.
http://www.lnt.com/content/160/how-to-make-old-bath-towels-soft-again.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Do you have really hard water?

Well it's pretty hard on account of it being Winter and -20 degrees.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

If you use fabric softener on your towels you damage the absorbent properties of towels, because the softener ends up where the water would go or something. Just don't do it.

I have horribly hard water, so I'll take a slightly less absorbent towel over drying off with a piece of lauan any day

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Lifehack: Stop using non-disposable towels to catch your jizz.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why do you want to catch your jizz?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lifehack: catch your jizz in your mouth, no cleanup required! #wallah

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Lifehack: Stop using non-disposable towels to catch your jizz.

That's an awfully rude way to refer to somebody's girlfriend :mad:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: if you take the pony figurine out, you'll fit more in the jar!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The best way to scam people is to fake being a fire extinguisher inspector. Access anywhere and then you can bill!

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

SaltLick posted:

The best way to scam people is to fake being a fire extinguisher inspector. Access anywhere and then you can bill!
They make appointments first.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skander posted:

They make appointments first.

:frogsiren: surprise inspection

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zedprime posted:

Towel accessory lifehack: Tangle your cords around a towel rack. They are now less cluttered, because anything forged by the hands of man + cables is an instant cable wrangler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1dqg1ZN50

This is pretty much exactly what Ikea sells, though:

Using a rack like that works as a legit alternative to finding an Ikea and spending hours walking through it and not having to have meatballs and whatever that brown softdrink is for lunch.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is pretty much exactly what Ikea sells, though:

Using a rack like that works as a legit alternative to finding an Ikea and spending hours walking through it and not having to have meatballs and whatever that brown softdrink is for lunch.

Elderflower :guinness:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IKEA has never wronged me. There's nothing wrong with getting salmon, meatballs, and lingonberry juice for lunch before buying furniture.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kaethela posted:

My current flat has a heated towel rack. It's the most pointless thing. It barely heats at all (I guess because it would be a fire hazard if it got hot enough to do anything?) so it's basically just an extra switch on the wall for no reason.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chitoryu12 posted:

IKEA has never wronged me. There's nothing wrong with getting salmon, meatballs, and lingonberry juice for lunch before buying furniture.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a good shopping time, and for a bit I was thinking "I hope I have a need to visit Ikea at some point in the future." Then I realized I was romanticizing flat-pack furniture.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I have horribly hard water, so I'll take a slightly less absorbent towel over drying off with a piece of lauan any day

Actual life hack: put white vinegar in your washer

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Assembling Ikea furniture is hella fun, it's like a model kit but then you can eat off of it or have sex on it.

e: their meatballs are also dope af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Assembling Ikea furniture is a blast if you have a cordless screwdriver or two.

Also, I love Ikea food but sometimes I just want to go buy my poo poo and leave and not have to spend half a day shopping. Like a man :biotruths: