Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A friend of mine died yesterday. Everyone from our college has a status about it, which is fine. But it also led to this rather harmless bit of IOSM:

I...can't really think of a polite way to tell her the problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's very poignant, maybe tell them that you're sure it's a possibility in future. Or not say anything and hope the rest of the folks commenting can keep from being rude.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I don't take my Facebook account very seriously. Mostly because my family, close and extended, lean very much right and have all the stereotypical qualities we tend to mock here. As a dumb joke I changed my profile picture to the infamous Tom Anderson picture with no comment. Today my dad called, audibly upset.

Dad: CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS! YOUR FACEBOOKS (yes he used the plural) HAS BEEN HACKED BY HACKER PEOPLE!
Me: What?
Dad: I don't know who that is but he put his picture on your facebooks page
Me: Oh. Oh, dad. Uh....how do I explain this? It was a .... joke?

I had to spend 15 minutes explaining to a typical country bumpkin that social media existed before the facebooks, what MySpace was and who Tom Anderson is. It was god drat adorable. My dad is the IOSM. :3:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

A friend of mine died yesterday. Everyone from our college has a status about it, which is fine. But it also led to this rather harmless bit of IOSM:

:ohdear: I hope she's not too shocked later on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I thought it was a nice message and was wondering what the problem was here. Then I googled Bob Dylan real quick and found out he wasn't dead.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dogfish posted:

if you need to lie to people to get them to agree with you, maybe you should consider that your original position isn't really that strong?

:allears:

If only lying was the only anti-abortion practice.

:negative:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
So, Tested.com made a podcast on YouTube today, and instead of one of their usual hosts, they had on Rebecca Watson. For those who don't know, she's an outspoken feminist on YouTube, and usually opines about gender issues, rape culture, Gamergate, stuff like that. The podcast never has any heavy topics on, just nerdy stuff, movies they've seen, modelling projects, etc. Today they talked about Jessica Jones and how they all loved the show, and David Bowie. Harmless, right?

MRAs were crawling out of the woodwork to stomp their feet and scream about feminism taking over their beloved male only nerd show.

quote:

Please keep your Tumblr spawned special snowflake "gender fluidity" crap away from David Bowie's memory because that really wasn't what he and his music were about. Thanks.

quote:

It's tempting to think we're just hateful "trolls" (which is a misuse of the term), but Tested, I'm not a "troll", I'm not sent here by anyone, I'm a fan, Norm, I think you're one of the best tech journalists out there. Adam, I started watching Mythbuster since the first season, it meant a lot to me growing up, I'm a fan.

So I'm pleading you, please please do some research on your guests before inviting them on, not from hearsay, just go and watch her first hand contents. By having them here and associating with them, you are indirectly endorsing their whole body of work, and this is someone who has shown to be hateful, dishonest and damaging by inciting divisiveness. To have someone like that here on a tribute episode to David Bowie is especially unfortunate...

quote:

Hey guys no hate intended but I am going to skip this one. I find Rebecca Watson detestable and I don't want to support anything she is involved with. See you next week.

quote:

Yeah, rather not support this disgusting woman in any way. Maybe when 50% of the population isn't painted out to be racist, evil, potential-rapist shitbags by her, I'll give her a chance, but not until then.

quote:

poo poo now I have go unsub. I didn't realize Tested supported these regressives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnfswOWezy4

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Elementary, dear Watson. It's misogyny.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

What kind of alternate universe do these guys live in where Bowie did not defy gender norms?!? Even recently he did, did they even see the video for The Stars Are Out Tonight?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

quote:

Please keep your Tumblr spawned special snowflake "gender fluidity" crap away from David Bowie's memory because that really wasn't what he and his music were about. Thanks.

Who's going to tell him

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mng posted:

So, Tested.com made a podcast on YouTube today, and instead of one of their usual hosts, they had on Rebecca Watson. For those who don't know, she's an outspoken feminist on YouTube, and usually opines about gender issues, rape culture, Gamergate, stuff like that. The podcast never has any heavy topics on, just nerdy stuff, movies they've seen, modelling projects, etc. Today they talked about Jessica Jones and how they all loved the show, and David Bowie. Harmless, right?

MRAs were crawling out of the woodwork to stomp their feet and scream about feminism taking over their beloved male only nerd show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnfswOWezy4

quote:

This one is adorable, especially seeing how Bowie sang songs specifically about this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Catching up on this thread, got a few pages to go so I hope this isn't a repost. Shared by a conservative priest:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The way people freak out about her is always the most hilarious thing. She is a cool person.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

It's tempting to think we're just hateful "trolls" (which is a misuse of the term), but Tested, I'm not a "troll", I'm not sent here by anyone, I'm a fan, Norm, I think you're one of the best tech journalists out there. Adam, I started watching Mythbuster since the first season, it meant a lot to me growing up, I'm a fan.

So I'm pleading you, please please do some research on your guests before inviting them on, not from hearsay, just go and watch her first hand contents. By having them here and associating with them, you are indirectly endorsing their whole body of work, and this is someone who has shown to be hateful, dishonest and damaging by inciting divisiveness. To have someone like that here on a tribute episode to David Bowie is especially unfortunate...

The ones like these are the ones that hurts the most to read.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

quote:

cash crab posted:

Who's going to tell him

This was too funny not to screencap.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

trapped mouse posted:

Am I missing something or is he still saying the exact same thing, just condemning one or not the other? Maybe he only accepts changing gender as part of your stage persona, not in real life.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Am I missing something or is he still saying the exact same thing, just condemning one or not the other? Maybe he only accepts changing gender as part of your stage persona, not in real life.

I think he thinks that "variable androgyny" and "gender fluidity" aren't functionally similar concepts.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought it was a nice message and was wondering what the problem was here. Then I googled Bob Dylan real quick and found out he wasn't dead.

it's kind of funny just how many people think bob dylan is dead.

i wonder if sometimes bob dylan wakes up, looks himself in the mirror and gets shocked that he's still alive.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

paradoxGentleman posted:

Genderfluid is a term coined by tumblr and evil SJWs. So someone he likes can't be genderfluid, but instead some other term that's functionally identical but doesn't validate the people he despises.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought it was a comment on his religion, but then I realized it was Cat Stevens I was thinking of.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mans posted:

i wonder if sometimes bob dylan wakes up, looks himself in the mirror and gets shocked that he's still alive.

I would be less surprised if he wasn't still putting albums out with some regularity. Like when an old musician or actor retires I get it (I assumed Sidney Poitier was dead for years) but don't people think they might have heard about Dylan dying?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Genderfluid is a term coined by tumblr and evil SJWs.

Except not, it's a term and concept that predates tumblr and "SJWs" by decades.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

I wouldn't have known one way or the other. To me "Bob Dylan" symbolizes something my dad liked from a million years ago. Like the Three Stooges or Jimmy Buffet.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ok, so it was popularized by tumblr. My point still stands, this dude has such pointless hate towards a word simply because it's popular with a certain group. He's willing to use a synonym of it, but not actually "genderfluid" since it's been tainted by dirty feminists.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah tagging your wife on classiest blow job tattoo in the world is also super classy.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Serperoth posted:

:allears:

If only lying was the only anti-abortion practice.

:negative:

Oh I know, I work in women's health/maternity care. Just venting a little frustration.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah tagging your wife on classiest blow job tattoo in the world is also super classy.

I'd rather call it exhibit a in the divorce hearing

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Chomp8645 posted:

I wouldn't have known one way or the other. To me "Bob Dylan" symbolizes something my dad liked from a million years ago. Like the Three Stooges or Jimmy Buffet.

Jimmy Buffet isn't dead either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok?

I didn't say I thought he was dead. I'm saying these things are ancient and I wouldn't have any idea if they were dead or alive unless I saw a headline.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

We know. They don't.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

trapped mouse posted:

:allears: Oh, boy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Maker Of Shoes posted:

To answer his question, Kama Sutra Master in FO2.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Is this harsh or good parenting?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

He may joke, but it would be good parenting if he did. Hope you backed up, kiddo!

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Manic X posted:

It's really childish and petty. I don't know much about Minecraft, but it seems kind of like the video game equivalent of loving up the Lego town your child spent hours creating.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Manic X posted:

It's petty but I can't stop laughing at it. This is what happens when millenials become parents!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This isn't really fair because that meme has been around for a long time now and to just slap his head on it to defame him is pretty lame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Minecraft thing is pretty obviously a joke.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm leaving this feminized, testosterone bankrupt, mangina repository shithole Canada!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Minecraft thing is pretty obviously a joke.

no one would ever make a joke on twitter!